PDA

View Full Version : Uploaded iTunes Match Songs Inaccessible for Some Users

MacRumors
Feb 3, 2012, 05:52 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/03/uploaded-itunes-match-songs-inaccessible-for-some/)

Some iTunes Match (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/06/itunes-in-the-cloud-with-itunes-match-24-99year-matches-ripped-tunes-offers-them-in-the-cloud/) users are encountering difficulties when attempting to download songs they have previously uploaded to iTunes Match. Matched songs appear unaffected for most users. Threads on both the MacRumors Forums (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1318695) and the Apple Support Communities (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3706391) detail the issues.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/02/f1307386644-500x333.jpg

I keep getting the "error = -2114" and "Please check that the connection to the network is active and try again." It then moves to the next download and most times is succsesful. I am getting this error in the last few hours and to about 10-20% of my downloads.The Verge confirms that the issue (http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/3/2768797/uploaded-itunes-match-music-unavailable-streaming-download) occurs in both iTunes 10.5.2 and 10.5.3, and on both Snow Leopard and Lion.

There has been no word from Apple about the outage and the iCloud System Status page (http://www.apple.com/support/icloud/systemstatus/) does not reflect any current issues.

This isn't the first issue that Apple has run into with iTunes Match in recent days. Apple is reportedly investigating a problem (http://9to5mac.com/2012/02/02/apple-working-on-fix-for-itunes-match-bug-that-matches-explicit-songs-as-clean/) with songs with explicit lyrics being converted from "explicit" to "clean" after being matched.

Article Link: Uploaded iTunes Match Songs Inaccessible for Some Users (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/03/uploaded-itunes-match-songs-inaccessible-for-some/)

pbelmore
Feb 3, 2012, 05:56 PM
The Verge confirms that the issue (http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/3/2768797/uploaded-itunes-match-music-unavailable-streaming-download) occurs in both iTunes 10.5.2 and 10.5.3, and on both Snow Leopard and Lion.

I've also been noticing this problem today with 10.5.3 running on Windows 7 at work.

Peace
Feb 3, 2012, 06:01 PM
Having the same problem.

This combined with the whacky genius on the Apple TV tells me the engineers are making some changes to iCloud.

Kinda weird because it works fine on my IOS devices.

Explorz
Feb 3, 2012, 06:03 PM
Hope they fix this soon. I've got thousands of songs that are inaccessible on my laptop and I go traveling in a few days.

Unfortunately for me, this happened just after I wiped my macbook of all songs and iTunes settings because Match was being such a pain in the ass.

Then when I turned match back on, none of the "uploaded" songs would download.

I wonder if Apple is aware of the extent of this.

iEric
Feb 3, 2012, 06:05 PM
No problem here on my MBA in Canada.

Feb 3, 2012, 06:06 PM
This is a Windows problem only.

Buy a Mac.

TwinCities Dan
Feb 3, 2012, 06:08 PM
I was about to subscribe tonight, perhaps I should wait.

Although, if I did upload all my stuff, I would always keep a copy at home.

;)

----------

Buy a Mac.

Interesting claim, any source? :rolleyes:

verwon
Feb 3, 2012, 06:09 PM

Buy a Mac.

That's why the details say Snow Leoard and Lion?

Feb 3, 2012, 06:09 PM
Interesting claim, any source? :rolleyes:

No source. Just basic common knowledge: If it's an Apple product and it doesn't just work blame Windows.

wonderspark
Feb 3, 2012, 06:13 PM
iTunes Match also replaces album versions of songs with live concert recordings... not just swapping clean and explicit versions. It's really annoying.

I should add that it's happening only on my Mac and iPhone, so wrong answer about "windows problem" excuse.

David-fr
Feb 3, 2012, 06:13 PM
not the sharpest week for apple :D

Morod
Feb 3, 2012, 06:14 PM
Apple does great with hardware and software.
Why do they have so much trouble with internet-based features?
Doesn't make sense....

TwinCities Dan
Feb 3, 2012, 06:15 PM
No source. Just basic common knowledge: If it's an Apple product and it doesn't just work blame Windows.

So basically the source was "your ass"... :rolleyes:

Nobody is dragging windows into this except you. :confused:

room237
Feb 3, 2012, 06:17 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

There's also the issue with iTunes match turning the last 15 seconds of about 10% of my matched songs to silence. I'm not the only one. No one is talking about that?

Feb 3, 2012, 06:18 PM
If it's happening on Macs also then the issue is probably with Microsoft Azure. Apple uses that for iCloud.

Rocketman
Feb 3, 2012, 06:19 PM
Apple is having a variety of issues recently. Besides being QC issues, I feel they are caused by evolving the OS itself beyond what current customers need and want as a means to be forward leaning toward a future OSX/iOS convergence.

I have a suggestion for Apple. Don't forsake even "old" customers with 2-3 year old hardware. just because something is beyond the 1 year warranty period or the 2-3 year Apple Care period, does NOT mean you should stop supporting it.

Apple hardware lasts longer and is in service longer than comparable Wintel stuff precisely because the OS is efficient. As such, please support systems 7 years old or more for "compatibility, services, and security" and only limit your other support for features and hardware compatibility.

Breaking Apple TV, Rosetta, and even basic Snow Leopard software updates is only a symptom to a much larger problem.

Heck, why not issue an update for G4 that fully adopts iBooks, iTunes U, and other content focused services.

Rocketman

daneoni
Feb 3, 2012, 06:20 PM
...and the glitches just keep coming and coming.

Swift
Feb 3, 2012, 06:24 PM
My iTunes Match works perfectly -- it used to stop too often when downloading/streaming, it would quit after it played the first song. I changed to the Genius Mix, and everything is perfect.

As usual, things in the cloud are more individualized.

*LTD*
Feb 3, 2012, 06:26 PM

Now and then it happens even to the best. But even Apple's worst imperfections are something others would give an arm and a leg (or a bad Android tablet) for.

Swift
Feb 3, 2012, 06:27 PM
Apple is having a variety of issues recently. Besides being QC issues, I feel they are caused by evolving the OS itself beyond what current customers need and want as a means to be forward leaning toward a future OSX/iOS convergence.

I have a suggestion for Apple. Don't forsake even "old" customers with 2-3 year old hardware. just because something is beyond the 1 year warranty period or the 2-3 year Apple Care period, does NOT mean you should stop supporting it.

Rocketman

My iMac is 3 years old, and it loves Lion. You mean older.

Five year-old machines were made in 2007. My old Macmini is that old. All the machines weren't 64 bit then. A 32-bit machine can't fully use Lion, and that's the truth.

On the other hand, Windows will run on anything, but who cares?

wonderspark
Feb 3, 2012, 06:28 PM
Now and then it happens even to the best. But even Apple's worst imperfections are something others would give an arm and a leg (or a bad Android tablet) for.
So far, no problems on my Android streaming Audiogalaxy. Maybe those glitches are on the road ahead somewhere.

charlesdayton
Feb 3, 2012, 06:34 PM
So far, no problems on my Android streaming Audiogalaxy. Maybe those glitches are on the road ahead somewhere.

Wrong forum?

srxtr
Feb 3, 2012, 06:35 PM
I miss SJ

bns1201
Feb 3, 2012, 06:41 PM
i absolutely HATE the fact that I cannot upload new music direct to my iPhone without first going through itunes match. It is such a pain. Apple needs to fix this NOW.

Explorz
Feb 3, 2012, 06:42 PM

Buy a Mac.

Uhm, no it isn't. Check out Apples Forums. LOTS of Mac users are affected.

wonderspark
Feb 3, 2012, 06:45 PM
Wrong forum?
Nope, right forum. My posts were relevant to the actual topic, which is iTunes Match screwing up songs on a Mac and iPhone. Others tried to drag Windows and Android into it. In response, I pointed out that the problem is restricted to Apple, and other devices I own have not suffered such issues.

Exhale
Feb 3, 2012, 06:47 PM
Its safe to say this has been a really bad week for Apple.

Lion upgrade that breaks a lot of machines.
Snow Leopard upgrade that breaks a lot of software.
A lot of coverage on serious iMessenger glitch.
Patent losses preventing sales of certain devices in Germany.
Patent losses that may affect email and icloud ability in Germany.
And Match playbreak breaking down.

Most of these are the sort of issues that would basically be the 'weekly thing' - but now they've all decided to show up all at once in the span of a mere two days.

chitopgear
Feb 3, 2012, 06:48 PM
Has anyone else experienced iTunes Match converting what were once explicit lyrics from their CDs to the edited versions?

blacktape242
Feb 3, 2012, 06:48 PM
whats up with all the screw ups lately!!!

first the lion update, next the SL security update and now this....

what happened to "it just works".... no it doesn't!

JCCL
Feb 3, 2012, 06:49 PM
iTunes Match also replaces album versions of songs with live concert recordings... not just swapping clean and explicit versions. It's really annoying.

I should add that it's happening only on my Mac and iPhone, so wrong answer about "windows problem" excuse.

That's weird, I have around 10,000 songs worth of live bootlegs of several bands. all of them were uploaded, and not matched with and iTunes studio version.

wonderspark
Feb 3, 2012, 06:54 PM
That's weird, I have around 10,000 songs worth of live bootlegs of several bands. all of them were uploaded, and not matched with and iTunes studio version.
That makes sense, though. Bootlegged live concerts are sonically unique, and don't exist on iTunes, so uploaded songs don't get swapped. I'm talking about songs in the middle of an album that suddenly get swapped with a live version of a song instead of the song that was released on the album being played. So, you're listening to Radiohead or whatever, and suddenly the album is interrupted by millions of screaming fans in a live recording of the next track, instead of the studio track that was supposed to play.

roadbloc
Feb 3, 2012, 06:54 PM
It just isn't Apple's week is it?

JCCL
Feb 3, 2012, 06:59 PM
That makes sense, though. Bootlegged live concerts are sonically unique, and don't exist on iTunes, so uploaded songs don't get swapped. I'm talking about songs in the middle of an album that suddenly get swapped with a live version of a song instead of the song that was released on the album being played. So, you're listening to Radiohead or whatever, and suddenly the album is interrupted by millions of screaming fans in a live recording of the next track, instead of the studio track that was supposed to play.

Ok got it, hasn't happened to me either, but yeah can imagine that's really annoying. So far all my studio tracks have been replaced by the proper studio track if matched.

BTW I have suffered of the mentioned download problem in the main post, when I created the smart playlist to replace with the iTunes versions a couple of months back. It is really annoying and a handful of songs I wasn't able to download until a few days later, they gave me an error every time.

CubusX
Feb 3, 2012, 07:02 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

The thing that really needs to be fixed is the ghost tracks that are left on te device after the downloaded iTunes Match songs have been deleted. If you download the songs again, you get duplicate songs, some there and some are not. It's annoying and after a while, it takes up space.

Anaemik
Feb 3, 2012, 07:02 PM
what happened to "it just works".... no it doesn't!

Sadly, it would seem like this is a mantra that is destined to be consigned to the annals of history.

I'm increasingly losing confidence in Apple the more time marches on, and it has to be said that the main cause of this is their collective online services. From my perspective at least, it would seem that everything that Eddy Cue touches is slated to go wrong. There isn't a single online service of Apple's that hasn't caused me major headaches over the past 6 months. Couple this with Apple's increasingly frustrating policy of refusing to openly acknowledge any software issues until they are addressed, and I'm left feeling that I simply cannot trust them any more.

AidenShaw
Feb 3, 2012, 07:04 PM

Apple hardware lasts longer and is in service longer than comparable Wintel stuff precisely because the OS is efficient. As such, please support systems 7 years old or more for "compatibility, services, and security" and only limit your other support for features and hardware compatibility.

I agree that support should be longer (and I also think that "support" means actively testing for regressions in updates - not just dealing with "OMG moments" when crap ships that breaks existing systems).

A couple of points, though, are more urban legend than fact.

Point 1:

"Apple hardware lasts longer"

Do you have any support for this idea? It seems that the number of Windows XP systems still running kind of weakens the argument (in spite of the general trend that more expensive systems tend to last longer - but lots of cheap Windows systems were sold).

Apples are built from the same components as other PCs, often by the same manufacturers.

Point 2:

"the OS is efficient"

Again, where's the support for this claim? It seems that every story about a new MBA has a lot of posts about "please put 8 GiB of RAM in it".

Windows 7 runs fine on lots of really old systems, subject to the obvious
the standard memory in a 2006 system isn't adequate, you'll need to pay $20 or so to upgrade (note that a 2006 Core 2 Duo Imac came with 512 MiB of RAM...)
just like with Apple OSX, some low end 2006 graphics cards can't run all of the eye candy, and run without effects

The case was a bit different with Vista, of course. When it was released it was fine on new systems (dual-core, 1 GiB or more, good graphics). Older systems, though, struggled because of memory, CPU and GPU issues. Win7 went on a diet, and was released a few years later when the average system was more powerful.

Yamcha
Feb 3, 2012, 07:10 PM
What's with all the problems with Apple lately.. First the 10.7.3 issues, security update that kills apps using Rosetta, iBook Textbooks not opening & now Match songs inaccessible..

Not like Apple..

CubusX
Feb 3, 2012, 07:12 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

These were in Beta for weeks and/or months, shouldn't the developers be catching some of these issues? I'm not trying to sound like I'm attacking them but isn't that the whole point of releasing Betas?

wonderspark
Feb 3, 2012, 07:15 PM
I think it's amazing that it works as well as it does, but the issue is that when it doesn't work, it's really annoying. I could say, "Well, 98% of the time, it works every time." The thing is, when you settle into an album or listening experience, the point is to enjoy the music. When you suddenly hear something that isn't right, like a horn blast instead of a cuss word, or screaming fans instead of a studio track, it ruins the experience. I personally dislike most live recordings of songs. I'd rather be at the concert, thanks.

Some have had clean versions replaced with explicit versions. I don't have any clean versions of songs, so I won't have that problem, but that would really suck for say a mother and her kids, or maybe you're jamming at a work party and the boss is super-anti-profanity or something. When these problems happen, it can be pretty embarrassing, even only once in a million tracks.

I don't know how iTunes Match determines which tracks to match when there are multiple versions, but the fact that a live track can be replaced with a studio track means it's not solely based on the sonic fingerprint. It's been reported that sometimes it can mismatch if the track is a second longer than the version on iTunes, and cutting off one second can fix it. Whatever magic mojo they use to identify tracks, it's not perfect, and as long as that is the case, it will give plenty of people a poor experience. I find a messed up track either every time or every other time I play music on my iPhone, and that is way too often for me. In the meantime, I have resorted to just using my iPod or my Android, which has my tracks streaming from Audiogalaxy. So far, they haven't messed up yet, knock on wood.

studio╣│╣
Feb 3, 2012, 07:21 PM
for me, match is super buggy. it streams fine on both my laptops but on my iPad and iPhone, it always lags out and just stops working -- even on wifi and/or show only downloaded songs.

ericinboston
Feb 3, 2012, 08:05 PM
So where are all the Cloud loyalists now? Yeah, you know, the ones who said there is no advantage to actually having a tangible object in your hands.

Ha ha. Problems like this will exist forever on any kind of intangible platform...not to mention the dozens of other "account problems" from a "service provider" instead of physical, tangible medium.

ericinboston
Feb 3, 2012, 08:10 PM

Here we go again.

1)Has nothing to do with this thread

2)Has no factual information/data to prove a single "point" you made

Why don't you hop over to one of the millions of "PC vs. Mac" discussions somewhere on this website and throw your opinions out as fact.

Jeeeeeeeeez.

Stiksi
Feb 3, 2012, 08:11 PM
If it's happening on Macs also then the issue is probably with Microsoft Azure. Apple uses that for iCloud.

Wow, still trying to start the flamewar, huh?

Wordslinger29
Feb 3, 2012, 08:17 PM
I ditched iTunes Match for Google Music and haven't looked back. I've been using Apple products for years and have never had such a bad experience.

chazwatson
Feb 3, 2012, 08:30 PM

Where exactly did you get these tracks and what format are they in?

wonderspark
Feb 3, 2012, 08:39 PM
Where exactly did you get these tracks and what format are they in?
They were imported from the CDs I bought as mp3. When I find a messed up track, I try re-importing the CD as AAC, and it still happens. I just make sure not to play it remotely, since the track played on the Mac holding the track in iTunes is correct... only the iCloud "matched" version is incorrect. This blows, since I use my iPhone as my media source in the car or otherwise away from the computer. No longer. Now I use my iPod, or I can use my Android or my iPhone if I use Audiogalaxy, since they both have that app... so long as I avoid using the tracks stored in iCloud via iTunes Match.

OneOkami
Feb 3, 2012, 08:44 PM
Fortunately I'm not affected. My iPhone is streaming uploaded music as I type this, however, a coworker was having trouble accessing some of this music earlier so I'm wondering if this is related. In any case, this is why I do and always will keep a local backup of everything and partially why I still use my iPod Touch.

ArchiTexTerry
Feb 3, 2012, 09:17 PM
I am a fanboy of Apple, and signed up for match as soon as the service was available...no problems uploading and matching, but trying to listen to the songs in the cloud only works maybe 20% of the time.

I have tried from my iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, my PC, and an old HP Laptop, and it fails on every device. I have tried on all types of WiFi networks, some busy and some where I was the only person on the Wifi network, and in all cases, the streaming form the cloud fails...and if it does start playing the song, it only plays fIve seconds and then skips to the next song.

I would tell everyone to avoid it because the support is non-existent, and it may never work as advertised.

Digitalclips
Feb 3, 2012, 09:19 PM
I have FiOS and all my Apple products stream from iCloud flawlessly. I have to suspect this is a more of an Internet issue for those with poor service such those with contention ratios.

charlituna
Feb 3, 2012, 09:33 PM
I miss SJ

While that's a sweet little thought, these issues could just as easily still happen if he was alive. After all, he was the bossman during the whole "lets launch the iPhone 3g, iPhone OS 2 AND mobileme at the same time" nonsense.

Lareson
Feb 3, 2012, 10:00 PM
Oh good, so it wasn't just me having the issues. Just got a new Mac Mini for work on Thursday and I noticed any uploaded songs that I tried playing through iTunes Match wasn't working. Everything still works on my iPhone though. Tried everything and it still wasn't working, so at least it's now a common issue.

More than likely it's whatever the connection between our computers and the servers that hold the uploaded files is causing the issue. Since it works fine with the iOS devices, it's more than likely that connection between iTunes and the hosting server.

Just hoping it gets fixed soon so I can have access of my entire music library at work without having to bring my MacBook that has all of my music on it to work. That was the point of me getting the Mini, so that I didn't have to bring my MacBook into work.

mmomega
Feb 3, 2012, 10:02 PM
My wife had this problem on her phone today.
The workaround I found to work was, on your phone, to go to

Settings->Music and turn off iTunes Match then
Settings->General->Usage and delete the Music app storage. Then back to
Settings->Music and turn iTunes match back on

this made it pull all of the music back and it has been working flawlessly so far.

I did not have a problem on my phone. Just hers. Both 4S's, but I am on the latest 5.1 dev build.

legacyb4
Feb 3, 2012, 10:36 PM
Same here; playback on iTunes on my Mac just skips the Uploaded songs whereas my iPhone/iPad play them back no problem...

Having the same problem.

This combined with the whacky genius on the Apple TV tells me the engineers are making some changes to iCloud.

Kinda weird because it works fine on my IOS devices.

ProVideo
Feb 3, 2012, 11:15 PM
The picture for this story made me sad in remembering there won't be another Apple event with Jobs and that his last keynote was for something that is somewhat forgettable in Apple's history. :(

MacMojo1
Feb 3, 2012, 11:16 PM
I've got about 40 songs affected by this

clayj
Feb 3, 2012, 11:19 PM
Ya know, iTunes Match would be SO much better if it offered the functionality of Amazon's Cloud Player -- you pick your songs and upload them and then they're available.

Apple has been far too "fancy" with this product and as a result, it just doesn't work as it should. If Steve were still alive, he'd be walking the halls of Apple with a katana right now slicing and dicing everyone responsible for iTunes Match.

jpswansea
Feb 4, 2012, 02:49 AM
Currently cannot play any music videos from iTunes Match on my iPhone 4S, iPad2 or Apple TV. Have just messaged Apple through the Express Lane Service. (iTunes UK)

Viper2005
Feb 4, 2012, 03:31 AM
Steve is rolling in his grave right now.

Bryn00
Feb 4, 2012, 04:18 AM
Has anyone else experienced iTunes Match converting what were once explicit lyrics from their CDs to the edited versions?

Yup.

r1on1wheel
Feb 4, 2012, 07:36 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

My expierence with iTunes match is this. Creat a playlist on my pro. It'll sync between iPad and iPhone beautifully tap the little cloud next to download all. Get in my car start to play the playlist and find out half the list has been censored. A couple emails to apple. And I get 5 free song tokens and a we are working on a fix.

mtennes
Feb 4, 2012, 08:41 AM
Of my 9,750 iTunes matched songs, over 450 are affected by this. I have tried deleting some of these songs from iCloud, but they don't go away.

Strange thing is: I can download some of these affected songs on my iOS devices, but cannot download them on my MacPro in iTunes. Also, some songs I can play (being streamed) in iTunes, but downloading fails.

Fortunately for me.. I have backups of ALL my songs.

andi242
Feb 4, 2012, 09:06 AM
all working again for me.

SPUY767
Feb 4, 2012, 09:10 AM
My iMac is 3 years old, and it loves Lion. You mean older.

Five year-old machines were made in 2007. My old Macmini is that old. All the machines weren't 64 bit then. A 32-bit machine can't fully use Lion, and that's the truth.

On the other hand, Windows will run on anything, but who cares?

Yeah, but both my 5 year old macs run Lion with no issues.

Lesser Evets
Feb 4, 2012, 09:29 AM
I'm hoping this "cloud" stuff blows away in the next few years as memory becomes cheaper to put into devices so we can store whatever we need. Cloud has two main purposes: help limited-memory devices be able to have greater function and to keep control of copyrighted property. The control of copyrighted property can become overbearing if they wish it.

OneOkami
Feb 4, 2012, 10:10 AM
I'm hoping this "cloud" stuff blows away in the next few years as memory becomes cheaper to put into devices so we can store whatever we need. Cloud has two main purposes: help limited-memory devices be able to have greater function and to keep control of copyrighted property. The control of copyrighted property can become overbearing if they wish it.

How about things like conveniently accessing all my music from anywhere with an internet connection (or heck, simply if I have my phone with me - which is nearly 100% of the time)? Or manufacturers utilizing a cloud-based ERP solution that frees them from requiring a dedicated on-site IT staff or particularly modern hardware and developers able to push out multiple updates everyday that take immediate affect with no local installation necessary and bears no disruption to their workflow, or saving progress/character customization in a game at home, going to a friends house, bringing absolutely no equipment with me, and retrieving everything as it was as if I'd never left my house, or being able to play any modern high-end PC game on my laptop at home, or on my tablet or phone while on vacation half-way across the country, maintaining the same progress no matter where I am, or accidentally leaving my phone somewhere I can't remember and remotely tracking its location and locking it down until I get there, or telling Siri to remind me I'm supposed to stop by a neighbor's house, then grabbing my iPod Touch, go out for a jog with my dog, and having it alert me so that I remember to stop by while on my route, or editing any part of a reminder/event/appointing and having it sync to all my device with no extra effort on my part?

Cloud computing bears a lot of potential, IMO, and I don't agree to view it with such a limited perspective.

Kaibelf
Feb 4, 2012, 10:30 AM

Audiogalaxy? Forgot what that was, and had to boot up my Pentium II and pull up Webcrawler to remember.

balamw
Feb 4, 2012, 10:37 AM
Cloud has two main purposes

Funny, I use iCloud, iTunes Match, Dropbox etc... for a third purpose entirely.

Being able to shift between platforms and devices seamlessly without effort.

B

ProBill
Feb 4, 2012, 10:51 AM
I am not new to computers or Apple products (I have used and owned them for twenty years). At home, I have an extensive network for Apple, TiVo, and FiOS equipment. Not meant as any kind of a boast, just part of the geek in me as well as I enjoy the conveniences and benefits a "wired home" provides. Having said that, why would I ever want to participate in Apple's iCloud? Maybe the difference is that only about .05% of my music was purchased from iTunes. As desired, I can put my music on my i "pods", "pad", and "phone" as needed. The shuffle holds 700 songs, more than I can care about when going out for some exercise. Along comes the iCloud, placing Apple, as a single point failure, in the middle of all participants' use of their music, sucking up bandwidth to stream and re-stream that music over and over again. So, you buy the music, you pay to host it on the iCloud, and you pay for the use of bandwidth for them to stream it back to you. I wrestle now with controlling my sarcasm. Sorry. But, I did an internet search on "cloud" computing and the iCloud and I could not find a convincing reason to participate and thus be engaged in issues as this message thread demonstrates.

toddybody
Feb 4, 2012, 11:05 AM
Does Apple allow folks to see WHAT will be matched before purchase?

Lareson
Feb 4, 2012, 11:18 AM
Does Apple allow folks to see WHAT will be matched before purchase?

To put shortly, no, but anything that's sold in the iTunes Music store in your country will pretty much be matched. The only times I've ran into issues was when the time of the song in my library didn't match the time of the song in the store. That was usually solved by going under "Get Info" and adjusting the time to what the store has.

But other than that, if you have it and the store has it, there's a pretty high chance it'll be matched.

iKIKO
Feb 4, 2012, 11:36 AM
i have this exact same problem, but only with the iPhone 4s. i have a couple albums that it won't download to the i4. but it does on the mac and on the iPad 2. only won't download on the i4. strange right?

how you guys have fixed this? or its an iTunes bug or something?

but if it is an iTunes match bug, why i can download to the mac and iPad some albums but some on the i4 say error downloading ? it doesn't make sense

alphaod
Feb 4, 2012, 11:59 AM
I had problems downloading a few songs on my iPhone and iPad. I thought it was just me, but looks like it is more widespread than I initially imagined.

iKIKO
Feb 4, 2012, 12:27 PM
I had problems downloading a few songs on my iPhone and iPad. I thought it was just me, but looks like it is more widespread than I initially imagined.

yeah i thought the same, glad to know I'm not the only one. hope they fix this soon

sfoalex
Feb 4, 2012, 12:38 PM

Buy a Mac.

I have this same problem and all I have are Macs.

pmz
Feb 4, 2012, 12:41 PM
To put shortly, no, but anything that's sold in the iTunes Music store in your country will pretty much be matched. The only times I've ran into issues was when the time of the song in my library didn't match the time of the song in the store. That was usually solved by going under "Get Info" and adjusting the time to what the store has.

But other than that, if you have it and the store has it, there's a pretty high chance it'll be matched.

Not true. There are far more issues than that. Further more, if your copy of the track is 4:09, and iTunes has it as 4:10...you're screwed. You can't change the stop time to be longer than the track.

Possibly throwing the song into garage band and adding a second, the re tagging everything perfectly MIGHT work, but not even close to being worth the effort.

Edit: Nope, that doesn't work either.

sfoalex
Feb 4, 2012, 12:42 PM

No, cloud is about keeping things consistent between multiple devices. It's a great idea lost on people like you.

Lennholm
Feb 4, 2012, 12:48 PM

Yeah, every other company would give anything to have a non-functional system like Apple does now because they all currently have even more non-functional systems right?...
Your spins are getting more and more ridiculous, why don't you just go the complete length and start calling yourself "The no spin-zone"?

Wrong forum?

It's not if you look at the post that it was replying to.

ogee
Feb 4, 2012, 01:08 PM
Ive just lost 10,000 tracks due to this bug. I an now re-digitalising all my CD's and then will download again my purchased (where still available). Not happy.

Errors -50, -100000, 6384 (or something) -12000 and and and.

Lareson
Feb 4, 2012, 01:14 PM
Not true. There are far more issues than that. Further more, if your copy of the track is 4:09, and iTunes has it as 4:10...you're screwed. You can't change the stop time to be longer than the track.

Possibly throwing the song into garage band and adding a second, the re tagging everything perfectly MIGHT work, but not even close to being worth the effort.

Edit: Nope, that doesn't work either.

Whoops, forgot I threw in a step: I burned the new shortened songs onto a CD to get it permanently to that time, and reimported it into iTunes and they mostly matched. Some took a couple times of deleting it from iCloud, creating a new AAC version, then send it back to iCloud.

This system is nowhere near perfected as it's very rough in certain spots, but in someways, it works fine, but this instance of where it's not pulling uploaded songs from the server is where I'm noticing it's starting to fail. Still think that this shouldn't of gone out of the dev stage yet.

But yet the $25 a year already saved me well over $100 worth of songs just by matching them with the store quality versions. Can't complain about that!

jhwalker
Feb 4, 2012, 02:38 PM
I am not new to computers or Apple products (I have used and owned them for twenty years). At home, I have an extensive network for Apple, TiVo, and FiOS equipment. Not meant as any kind of a boast, just part of the geek in me as well as I enjoy the conveniences and benefits a "wired home" provides. Having said that, why would I ever want to participate in Apple's iCloud? Maybe the difference is that only about .05% of my music was purchased from iTunes. As desired, I can put my music on my i "pods", "pad", and "phone" as needed. The shuffle holds 700 songs, more than I can care about when going out for some exercise. Along comes the iCloud, placing Apple, as a single point failure, in the middle of all participants' use of their music, sucking up bandwidth to stream and re-stream that music over and over again. So, you buy the music, you pay to host it on the iCloud, and you pay for the use of bandwidth for them to stream it back to you. I wrestle now with controlling my sarcasm. Sorry. But, I did an internet search on "cloud" computing and the iCloud and I could not find a convincing reason to participate and thus be engaged in issues as this message thread demonstrates.

Chief benefit for me is access to *all* my tracks, any time. My current library is over 500GB in size, so no way to put more than a fraction of it on any device at any time.

Chief limitation: only 25k tracks for now :/ So only a bit less than 1/2 my library can fit :P

klrobinson999
Feb 4, 2012, 02:42 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

My AppleTV just refused to load my iCloud. Said it had no content, even though it listed my library. I had to log out, log in and watch it set up again!

pmz
Feb 4, 2012, 02:57 PM
Whoops, forgot I threw in a step: I burned the new shortened songs onto a CD to get it permanently to that time, and reimported it into iTunes and they mostly matched. Some took a couple times of deleting it from iCloud, creating a new AAC version, then send it back to iCloud.

This system is nowhere near perfected as it's very rough in certain spots, but in someways, it works fine, but this instance of where it's not pulling uploaded songs from the server is where I'm noticing it's starting to fail. Still think that this shouldn't of gone out of the dev stage yet.

But yet the $25 a year already saved me well over $100 worth of songs just by matching them with the store quality versions. Can't complain about that!

For me, about $2,000. So yea its worth it, crappy as it is. I believe Apple will eventually perfect it....but its so poorly done right now that I'm almost embarrassed for them. And its stunning to me that they've almost nothing to improve its performance/behavior AT ALL since the November launch.

----------

I'm actually banking on dinosaurs like you "blowing away" in the next couple of years.

jameslmoser
Feb 4, 2012, 03:26 PM

Right..., and if its happening because your on the internet, its probably your ISP.

The fact apple uses Microsoft Azure for its cloud platform speaks volumes for Micorosoft, and not so much for Apple.

charlituna
Feb 4, 2012, 03:43 PM
Nope, right forum. My posts were relevant to the actual topic, .

how is using software that is not iTunes on a non apple device remotely relevant.

It's not. Nor is basically saying 'my android has no issues, you should switch so you can have no issues too' helpful.

----------

Its safe to say this has been a really bad week for Apple.

Lion upgrade that breaks a lot of machines.
Snow Leopard upgrade that breaks a lot of software.
A lot of coverage on serious iMessenger glitch.
Patent losses preventing sales of certain devices in Germany.
Patent losses that may affect email and icloud ability in Germany.
And Match playbreak breaking down.

Most of these are the sort of issues that would basically be the 'weekly thing' - but now they've all decided to show up all at once in the span of a mere two days.

But are any of these things really major when you look at the numbers. Are we talking many thousands affected or just a very vocal couple of hundred. Then compare this to say the Xbox fiasco where something like 70% of all units broke down in the first six months, only to be replaced with another machine equally likely to breakdown because Microsoft never bothered to sort out the issue.

----------

These were in Beta for weeks and/or months, shouldn't the developers be catching some of these issues? I'm not trying to sound like I'm attacking them but isn't that the whole point of releasing Betas?

If Apple took the time to test every possible config of hardware and software hen they would never release anything

----------

. Having said that, why would I ever want to participate in Apple's iCloud? Maybe the difference is that only about .05% of my music was purchased from iTunes.

iCloud is about more than your music, purchased or not. In fact it is really a totally different game.

VenusianSky
Feb 4, 2012, 03:44 PM

Interesting. I wasn't even aware that iCloud runs on Windows Azure until I read this post. This is the first I have heard about Windows Azure being used commercially, but I also just read that Amazon uses it as well.

HelveticaRoman
Feb 4, 2012, 03:44 PM
As the fanboys would say, it's the future as defined for us, get over it. Every cloud has a silver lining, and this may be the exception that proves the rule.

Lennholm
Feb 4, 2012, 04:13 PM
how is using software that is not iTunes on a non apple device remotely relevant.

It's not. Nor is basically saying 'my android has no issues, you should switch so you can have no issues too' helpful.

It was relevant because it was a reply to a post that claimed Android services are worse than this issue is

But are any of these things really major when you look at the numbers. Are we talking many thousands affected or just a very vocal couple of hundred. Then compare this to say the Xbox fiasco where something like 70% of all units broke down in the first six months, only to be replaced with another machine equally likely to breakdown because Microsoft never bothered to sort out the issue.

???
Microsoft extended the warranty of affected products to three years and have fixed the issue.

DrDomVonDoom
Feb 4, 2012, 04:28 PM
???
Microsoft extended the warranty of affected products to three years and have fixed the issue.

But that was a hardware issue, that caused catastrophic failure of the physical hardware. This isn't the case.

That being said, I can't listen to my Offspring greatest hits album, and that burns my ass. I think I had to re-digitalize that.

I like Apple, but have they ever launched anything that wasn't buggy as hell?

Maybe they should change the motto to "EVENTUALLY, it just works"

Lennholm
Feb 4, 2012, 05:37 PM
But that was a hardware issue, that caused catastrophic failure of the physical hardware. This isn't the case.

Your point being? I was answering to the claim that MS did nothing about the RRoD issue which is an evidently false claim. If anything, charlituna comparing it to the iTunes Match issue seems like like nothing more than an attempt to downplay the current iTM issue. Comparing sw issues to hw issues is pointless since they're entirely different and hw issues most often have much worse consequences than sw issues(in other words, most sw issues will seem mild compared to any hw issue).

wonderspark
Feb 4, 2012, 05:45 PM
Audiogalaxy? Forgot what that was, and had to boot up my Pentium II and pull up Webcrawler to remember.
Yeah, it doesn't show up in any search engine unless you're using a Pentium II. And as we all know, anything created more than six months ago is garbage that can't possibly work, especially if it was made by a company other than Apple! But really, it was a nice comeback. You should feel proud.

wonderspark
Feb 4, 2012, 06:30 PM

Sorry, Charlie. It appears you misunderstood, but I can help you get back on track:

Originally Posted by daneoni:
Originally posted by *LTD*:
Now this is where I mention the lack of imperfections with my Android while using Audiogalaxy. If you connect the dots here, you can see that I'm refuting LTD's assertion that if this were the worst problem Apple faced, others would give an arm, leg or a "bad Android" device to have the same service.
Originally posted by wonderspark:

Notice the lack of mentioning that you should "basically" or otherwise switch to Android. I happen to use the app on my iPhone as well as my Android, so no switching is required or suggested. Both of my devices use it without issue, unlike iTunes Match.

Perhaps you read erroneous messages into my post because you have preconceived assumptions about any post that contains "Android", and you stop reading and/or comprehending anything written after that. On the other hand, this isn't the first time you've jumped on me for a post I've made, so I have drawn the conclusion that I've managed to upset you in the past. As far as I know, we don't know each other at all. I could be wrong, as I grew up in Huntington Beach, and knew many people across the metro area over there, many of whom were/still are in "The Industry."

If you do know me, go ahead an identify yourself, and maybe we can talk about it and be friends. I think it takes a lot of character to face and overcome differences with others, and if you're willing to join me in that endeavor, we might both gain some respect for each other. Otherwise, carry on with your meager attacks, but don't be surprised when my respect for you slides even lower.

toddybody
Feb 4, 2012, 07:56 PM

Very cool. Glad youre able to "circumvent" any discrepancies by changing the run time.

jwhite878
Feb 4, 2012, 09:29 PM
While that's a sweet little thought, these issues could just as easily still happen if he was alive. After all, he was the bossman during the whole "lets launch the iPhone 3g, iPhone OS 2 AND mobileme at the same time" nonsense.

I think his comment was more directed at the picture rather than Steve Jobs' ability to fix these problems.

----------

The picture for this story made me sad in remembering there won't be another Apple event with Jobs and that his last keynote was for something that is somewhat forgettable in Apple's history. :(

I completely disagree. I think iCloud was the beginning of Jobs' endgame. I think his goals were to have technology to become completely integrated and seamless. iCloud doesn't do that perfectly, but it's a big step forward. I can't imagine working with my iStuff without having my music distributed across all of my devices so I don't have to sync songs. iCloud will be a major part of Apple's history.

Exhale
Feb 4, 2012, 10:06 PM
But are any of these things really major when you look at the numbers.
Quite likely, yes. The number of 360s sold in the initial months were a few million at best (3 million?). Furthermore, widespread QA failures are considered much more severe than concentrated ones. Slipups happen, all of these can happen once in a while. But multiple issues at once is bad news, even if the affected consumer base is much smaller - because it heavily suggests management or direction problems, which could easily propagate into other project. A single slipup, even if it turns out to be serious case - generally only impairs that specific project or product.

If I want a company to deliver a product that is reliable - I'm not going to consider popularity of the involved companys actual products. I'm going to consider the amount of screwups and botch jobs they've had. And the reliability/dependability perception profile tanked significantly with this week's incidents.

Plus I hardly get the point with drawing attention to the Xbox fiasco - since its already a well known well established botch-job that occurred over half a decade ago. Its basically irrelevant for the purposes of 'today'.

Lareson
Feb 5, 2012, 10:55 AM
Bug seems to be fixed. I'm able to download uploaded songs from iCloud once again without error. Haven't tried it on my Mini yet, but I'll check on that here shortly.

Codestud
Feb 6, 2012, 01:51 AM
I think I'm going to be holding off taking up iTunes Match for now.

emvath
Feb 6, 2012, 08:58 AM
iTunes match = Apple's worst product execution in the last 10 years (well okay, that buttonless shuffle was pretty bad).

milo
Feb 6, 2012, 10:55 AM
Is this a new issue? It's hard to tell since Match has had so many bugs since it was first released, with little or no improvement over those months.

I just wonder why MR is reporting on this now, I thought it was newsworthy from the beginning that Match had so many problems but it seems like when it was released most websites just regurgitated the Apple press releases about it instead of how it was actually working. Really, this has been by far one of the buggiest things Apple has released in a while (although the music app for iPad on iOS 5 gives it some competition).

To put shortly, no, but anything that's sold in the iTunes Music store in your country will pretty much be matched.

Not even close. Even with things sold in the music store most people are lucky to get more than 60-80 percent matched. Apple's marketing makes it sound like virtually everything in the store will be matched but the software isn't anywhere close to that good yet, it has lots and lots of things in the store that upload instead of matching. Track length is one factor but there's much more to it than that.

And to make matters worse, there are a very high number of albums where all tracks match except for one or two. It's basically a crapshoot what will match and what won't, I'd have fairly low expectations.

Lareson
Feb 6, 2012, 07:35 PM
The issue about iCloud not downloading uploaded songs in iTunes happened just within the past couple days. It's hasn't even been an issue since the first beta until now. I know it's still a bit buggy in certain areas, but it's heck of a lot better than it was during the betas. Also remember the whole MobileMe debacle? That didn't' even work for a majority of the time after it's release. There was a reason Steve blew a gasket at the MM team after the release, but look what it turned into, iCloud. I'm sure he would have done the same thing with the iTunes Match team.

Of the 2873 songs in my library, 1666 are matched or I have previously purchased them. The rest of the songs are all uploaded because a very large majority of them are either not sold in iTunes or are not available in the US store. From what I've noticed, only about 5 songs (and that's a high estimate) are not matched because of time issues. I've had to clean up the metadata on some to match the songs in the store, but other than that, my library has pretty much been upgraded from what it was. Just the fact that it replaced a bunch of 128-160kbs MP3s that I had with the store quality copies made the $25 a year worth it for me. The only issue that I'm running up against is something I previously said, it matching songs that I don't want it to match. Beatles in Mono is a good example of it doing that.

It just varies too, whether or not you got the music from an actual CD or online somewhere, especially if the CD you have is an older copy and since that release, they've done a remaster re-release. The Beatles CDs from before 2009 are an example of it not working properly because the songs are physically different than the remastered versions. Also since it looks at the sound file and the metadata, if the song has the wrong metadata, it'll heighten the chances of it not matching.

For those who are still iffy about iTunes Match, there's really no disadvantage of it besides the $2.08 a month. Just try it and see how it works for you. Just make sure to double-check the metadata to make sure it matches to whatever it is in the Store. (Seems like I'm one of the few people that like it and is hardly having any issues with iTunes Match besides the ones I listed. :( I think this is working like it's suppose to. Also it has to sort through millions of songs to match it, so just think of that.)

milo
Feb 7, 2012, 08:49 AM
Also since it looks at the sound file and the metadata

Nobody has found any evidence that it looks at metadata at all. People have tested files with no tags and completely wrong tags and had the same matching results as proper tags. So far it looks like matching comes completely from the waveform.