Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ahan.tm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
Florida
Hi,

I am using images in my iPhone App that I purchased from Dreamstime. I was wondering if there any issues with their licensing(such as use in iPhone Apps)? I know that iStockPhoto requires an extended license for more than 500,000 sold copies.

Any information regarding their licensing is appreciated.

Thanks,
ahan.tm

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I've purchased Dreamstime images and used them within the license terms for promotional materials for a non-profit group and in a small web-based app.

Their general rule is that you are limited to 500,000 uses of the image on printed materials but not limited in that way for use on a website or in an app. However, your use of the image in an app may be limited to a width of 800 pixels. The exception is confusing -- when the image is "part of a design" -- so if you want to use the image at a higher resolution then I suggest that you ask Dreamstime about that particular use of that particular image and they'll provide clarification.

ahan.tm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
Florida
Okay, I found this on their FAQ:

Royalty- Free License of use of Non-Watermarked Images and Restrictions

The high-resolution images that you download under the regular Royalty Free (RF) license may be used to make fine art prints, on a web site, in a magazine, newspaper, book or booklet, book cover, flyer, application software (apps) or any other advertising and promotional material, in either printed or electronic media, as long as the item in which the image appears does not contradict any of the restrictions below. The list is not exhaustive and if you have any uncertainty regarding the use of the images in a correct way please email support using the help form.

Web templates, greeting cards or postcards especially designed for sale, similar print-on-demand services, canvas, t-shirts, mugs, calendars, postcards, mouse pads or any other items incorporating the image in an essential manner, intended to be sold are considered redistribution (if the image is used in an essential manner). The use of Dreamstime.com images for these purposes under the regular Royalty Free license is not permitted. It is also forbidden to make the image available on a website for download (as wallpapers for example), although you may use the image in a concept in as many websites as you want, for any number of clients. For Web use, you must not use the image at a width exceeding 800 pixels unless it is included in your site's design. If the image is part of a design and manipulated accordingly, the image width can be higher than 800 pixels.

If you use the images for printed materials, the number of copies must not exceed 500,000. You may modify the images in any way required for reproduction, or include them in your own personal creations.

Buying the high-resolution image (purchasing the license) does not transfer the copyright. You may not claim that the image is your own and you may not sell, license for use, or in any way distribute the image for reuse. We recommend that you credit the agency and the photographer when you use an image. By this you benefit the community at Dreamstime.com, of which you are an integral part, and help increase your success as part of the community, which, by growing contributions, gains quantity and quality.

So, I am assuming that this includes iPhone Apps. Any other info is appreciated.

Thanks
ahan.tm

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
The answer is right there:
... if you have any uncertainty regarding the use of the images in a correct way please email support using the help form.​

No one here can give you a definitive answer about that vendor's licensing. You need to ask the vendor directly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.