PDA

View Full Version : OS 9? Any use for it?

tenshu2k
Oct 21, 2002, 12:10 AM
Hey.. I'm going to be putting in my order for a dual1ghz+studio display soon.. finally making the switch. I was wondering if there is any use for OS 9 and if i can just keep OS X.2 as my only OS. Some apps i want to run are Office, Photoshop 7, Studio/Dreamweaver MX, Illustrator, Final Cut Pro, and maybe some other popular video/graphics/web stuff. Would everything work fine in X? Also is there a version of Quickbooks available for X yet? Thanks.

MacBandit
Oct 21, 2002, 12:14 AM
OS9 and 10.2 will both come preinstalled on your new computer. They did on my Dual/Ghz/DDR. For the amount of hard drive space OS9 takes up I would leave it in the off chance you ever need it. There is no speed or stability advantage to removing it.

coopdog
Oct 21, 2002, 08:51 AM
All you apps should work fine in 10.2, Quickbooks, im not sure.

irmongoose
Oct 21, 2002, 09:12 AM
Yep, as the others have said, both OS 9 and X will come pre-installed, so no use uninstalling it as it doesn't take up much space, and you just *might* end up having to use it... for what I dunno, but...

And all those apps have OS X native versions, and run perfectly. About Quickbooks.. I did a quick Google search and found this (http://www.quickbooks.com/products/mac/). Looks like they're coming out with the Mac versions early next year.

Hope that helps.

irmongoose

mc68k
Oct 21, 2002, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by tenshu2k
I was wondering if there is any use for OS 9 and if i can just keep OS X.2 as my only OS.It's good for no-permissions hacking of OS X, and old games/programs.