PDA

View Full Version : The Best Superbowl Ad Was for the iPhone

MacRumors
Feb 7, 2012, 05:53 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/07/the-best-superbowl-ad-was-for-the-iphone/)

More than fifty commercials aired (http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/46/commercials) during the Super Bowl this past Sunday, including one from Samsung that again poked fun at Apple's customers (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/05/samsung-continues-to-poke-fun-at-apple-fans-in-super-bowl-ad/).

Apple didn't run any ads during the Super Bowl, at least not officially -- a fact that puzzled some commentators (http://mashable.com/2012/02/06/why-didnt-apple-advertise-during-super-bowl/). But, as investment guru Jim Cramer points out (http://www.thestreet.com/story/11404152/1/cramer-the-best-super-bowl-ad.html), Apple did have an advertisement of sorts air during the Super Bowl.

After the game was over, Colts hall of famer Raymond Berry carrier the Vince Lombardi Trophy along a long line of New York Giants players. Players took turns touching or kissing the trophy, all the while taking photos and videos of the event. By far the most common device used to record the moment was the iPhone -- an event seen by millions.

ws0AEJXOPhI
Jim Cramer (http://www.thestreet.com/story/11404152/1/cramer-the-best-super-bowl-ad.html):And I said to myself, there it is, not some pet dangling a bag of chips or some headlights killing vampires or King Elton getting trapdoored. Nope, there was an ad worthy of Steve Jobs and the company he built.

Of course, it wasn't an ad. It was just a collection of the most cool, most idolized competitors in the world whipping out their favorite device, which they had on the field, ready for action.

[...]

In the end, it didn't matter. To me, the endorsement of Apple by real athletes who were not paid, especially when contrasted with the gift of the GM Corvette that Eli Manning didn't even seem to care about -- "Eli, the keys, the keys, don't forget the keys!" -- said it all.A 30-second spot during the game cost advertisers $3.5 million. For 1 minute and 20 seconds, Giants players used their iPhones to capture a once-in-a-lifetime moment that tens of millions watched on television. Cramer believes that this, more than any anything else, was the best advertisement of the Super Bowl.

via Daring Fireball (http://daringfireball.net/linked/2012/02/07/cramer-super-bowl)

Article Link: The Best Superbowl Ad Was for the iPhone (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/07/the-best-superbowl-ad-was-for-the-iphone/)

Ahheck01
Feb 7, 2012, 05:58 PM
I agree completely. Was anyone else thinking this as they watched that moment live?

DaMike8
Feb 7, 2012, 06:01 PM
Samsung's commercial just got OWNED.

Rodimus Prime
Feb 7, 2012, 06:02 PM
I agree completely. Was anyone else thinking this as they watched that moment live?

better question is did anyone else notice it. I know a lot of people tend to turn it off the TV shortly after the game is over.

It nice free advertisement and something Apple could use if they wanted to make an Ad around it but in terms of the public even noticing. Unlikely unless you were a tech nerd or a Apple fan.

Colpeas
:apple: PWNED! A happy customer is the best advertisement you can have.

craznar
Sorry to burst your bubble Mac fans, but and advertisement that only targets existing customers is not exactly the best advertisement ever.

How many people who have never used an iPhone would have even known it was an iPhone they were all using.

We may call it the cheapest advertisement, but it is far far far from the best.

TMar
Feb 7, 2012, 06:05 PM
As I watch it live I really only noticed one iphone being used. I'm sure if I watch it back and specifically watched for it I would see more but the fact is Football Joe didn't notice or care. Crappy "Ad" opportunity is crappy.

bretm
Feb 7, 2012, 06:05 PM
I saw the Apple logo briefly on 1 phone, and another was white so I assumed it was an iPhone. Otherwise they were just generic black smartphones. Unless you own an iPhone, you're probably not going to recognize them as iPhones even if they were, so no, this is not an amazing ad for Apple.

Rumple
Feb 7, 2012, 06:06 PM
I never noticed it. I don't care what phones people use.

Zwhaler
Feb 7, 2012, 06:06 PM
Meanwhile in Africa ...

Moyank24
Feb 7, 2012, 06:07 PM

better question is did anyone else notice it. I know a lot of people tend to turn it off the TV shortly after the game is over.

It nice free advertisement and something Apple could use if they wanted to make an Ad around it but in terms of the public even noticing. Unlikely unless you were a tech nerd or a Apple fan.

I actually noticed it....That guy was doing the slowest walk in the history of walking - how could you not notice? :D

I think that may make me a tech nerd. :o

jacobo007
Feb 7, 2012, 06:10 PM
Sorry to burst your bubble Mac fans, but and advertisement that only targets existing customers is not exactly the best advertisement ever.

How many people who have never used an iPhone would have even known it was an iPhone they were all using.

So, only people who own an iPhone, know how an iPhone looks?

I don't own one and i know how it looks, the apple logo on the back of the thing gives it away too.

Kid A
Feb 7, 2012, 06:11 PM
i think Cramer may be making a bit of a stretch there.

i wouldn't have thought to look for the iPhones had he not mentioned it.
then again, if i could rewind and watch this on a big screen in 1080i, rather than on a youtube clip, maybe it'd be more obvious? (i wasn't watching the live broadcast anymore at this point).

nonetheless, i'm sure Samsung would say they (the Giants) are just a bunch of sheepish fanboi losers. :rolleyes:

Rodimus Prime
Feb 7, 2012, 06:11 PM
I actually noticed it....That guy was doing the slowest walk in the history of walking - how could you not notice? :D

I think that may make me a tech nerd. :o

well most people on this site will fall into either Tech nerd or Apple fan category so this is a bad group to take a sample from.

jontech
Feb 7, 2012, 06:12 PM
I noticed and was busy putting my NY Giants hat back on.....

Beats that awful Samsung commercial which turned everyone off....

sterlingindigo
Feb 7, 2012, 06:15 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Pwnd samsdung, hehehe.

*LTD*
Feb 7, 2012, 06:19 PM
It's all about the iPhone, folks. No getting around that. When the the glitterati, sports figures, and Hollywood at large flashes them around, you know whose got brand power.

Sora
Feb 7, 2012, 06:35 PM
Some people pay attention to detail. Other gloss over it.
I saw the iPhones and thought it was hilarious considering how much Samsung paid to poke fun of hardcore iPhone fans who line up. (http://www.itworld.com/mobile-wireless/247498/three-things-note-about-galaxy-note-super-bowl-ad)

I don't hold it against those who didn't notice the athletes, family members, friends snapping away with their iPhones. Some people just don't pay attention to things like that.

To each his own.

Also, while it's another story. Seriously Samsung, a stylus? I'm not going to ask if "you're serious" - because spending $10 million evidently secured your position. I'm sure you all will kill this year! If this year is 2003.

nagromme
Feb 7, 2012, 06:40 PM
Very noticeable even in low res—the white ones especially; at least 4 of those (plus a bunch of black ones, few of which could have been anything but an iPhone). Those white ones stand out enough to add mindshare even for people who didn’t consciously notice. Like billboards and bus ads and muted TV ads: whether you focus on the ad and think it through or not, the more the image is put in front of you, the more you notice what’s on the shelf (or web)!

And of course the unintended “ad” continues even now, with people on the web talking about the event afterward, making people aware who never even noticed the first time.

ProVideo
Feb 7, 2012, 06:43 PM
I like the base my buying decisions of technology on what professional athletes use.

Eduardo1971
Feb 7, 2012, 06:47 PM

Yeah, I actually told my wife that it seems like a lot of players had white iPhones.

So much for the theory that 'real' men don't buy white iPhones for themselves.

miss.manson
Feb 7, 2012, 06:48 PM
I noticed, and I wasn't really even paying attention...
"Who wants a stylus. You have to get em and put em away, and you lose em. Yuck. Nobody wants a stylus."
"It's like we said on the iPad, if you see a stylus, they blew it. In multitasking, if you see a task manager... they blew it. Users shouldn't ever have to think about it." - Steve Jobs

Man9z0r
Feb 7, 2012, 06:56 PM
Except for the fact that the people who would be in the market for a phone would prob not notice it was an iPhone. Plus who says they are happy with it?

I am just playing devils advocate. :D

Acevesx
Feb 7, 2012, 07:17 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

You're just plain ignorant if you think people dont know what an iPhone look like

Samskeyti
Feb 7, 2012, 07:29 PM
Raymond Berry seemed to be thoroughly enjoying them touching the trophy he was holding. Almost gif worthy.

Surrylic
Feb 7, 2012, 07:31 PM
Also, while it's another story. Seriously Samsung, a stylus? I'm not going to ask if "you're serious" - because spending $10 million evidently secured your position. I'm sure you all will kill this year! If this year is 2003.

I disagree. They're selling that exact phone overseas like crazy. I guess pre-order just started in the states, so we'll see how it goes here. I've always thought a stylus would be nice for accuracy on a touch screen phone. Use your fingers 95% of the time, and when you want to hand write or draw or just do something really accurately... Use the stylus. What's the big deal?

We all know we can't be accurate when trying to draw or write or do *certain types* of photo editing with our fingers on a 3.5" screen. It's just not good enough. This is coming from a iPhone user of four years by the way.

Samskeyti
Feb 7, 2012, 07:33 PM

Athletes willfully endorsing a product > Product advertised through means of mocking another product

People will have noticed, because people notice Apple products, whether hatefully or approvingly.

2 Replies
Feb 7, 2012, 07:38 PM
So, only people who own an iPhone, know how an iPhone looks?

I don't own one and i know how it looks, the apple logo on the back of the thing gives it away too.

Strawman. :rolleyes:
He never said only iPhone owners know how it looks. You said that.
You're putting words in his mouth and misrepresenting his very valid point just to try to strengthen yours.
But just like smartphones, identifying obvious logical fallacies isn't always everyone's strong suit.

Peace
Feb 7, 2012, 07:47 PM
I notice how badly people spell here more than I noticed the number of iPhones taking pics in that video.

chrmjenkins
Feb 7, 2012, 07:58 PM
I noticed and thought it was interesting, particularly because football players usually have very large hands and fingers. I would imagine they would prefer a larger phone, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

firewood
Feb 7, 2012, 08:32 PM
I was trying to count iPhone's, but lost count . I think I saw one or two Samsung looking slabs as well.

longofest
Feb 7, 2012, 08:48 PM
people actually stayed up to see the awarding of the trophy? Once the game was over, the TV was off in our house - we had work the next day.

best ad IMO was the Clint Eastwood/Chrystler halftime spot. It wasnt funny, but I think it is making a bid for being right up there with the :apple: 1984 commercial.

On the lighter side of things, the Doritos dog commercial was awesome.

Laird Knox
Feb 7, 2012, 08:56 PM
Shouldn't there have been more Android phones? I thought they were activating something like five million every hour. :D

FakeWozniak
Feb 7, 2012, 09:04 PM
best ad IMO was the Clint Eastwood/Chrystler halftime spot. It wasnt funny, but I think it is making a bid for being right up there with the :apple: 1984 commercial.

I really didn't get that Ad... First, Chrysler has filed bankruptcy at least once in the Lee Iacocca days (somehow Apple's spelling checker knows Iacocca! Hey, quality recognizing quality). Also, it has been sold a few times and last I heard it wasn't a majority of US backers. Is it US owned now?

GM has filed bankruptcy too, so they are clearly run as poorly as Chrysler group, but a lot more capital at stake. Have you talked to folks how had their 401Ks invested in Chrysler or GM at the time? No joy there.

Ford hasn't filed bankruptcy ever that I am aware of. They seem to be the pioneer, sorta like Apple in with the Apple II. Then a #2 company comes in, ala Samsung, and craps on them in a commercial (reference to the Chevy End of the World commercial).

It sounded at first like Clint Eastwood was talking about America/Detroit generally, but then he mentioned Chrysler, and I flipped out. Sounds like a sellout. I bet he got shares in Chrysler or a block or two of downtown Detroit. He also did that movie in Detroit, which not many know about, that was supposed to be Minneapolis, but Detroit bribed him enough to change the city in the movie from the book. Clint has a record of taking their money.

mmomega
Feb 7, 2012, 09:08 PM
I disagree. They're selling that exact phone overseas like crazy. I guess pre-order just started in the states, so we'll see how it goes here. I've always thought a stylus would be nice for accuracy on a touch screen phone. Use your fingers 95% of the time, and when you want to hand write or draw or just do something really accurately... Use the stylus. What's the big deal?

We all know we can't be accurate when trying to draw or write or do *certain types* of photo editing with our fingers on a 3.5" screen. It's just not good enough. This is coming from a iPhone user of four years by the way.

They're selling like crazy for any phone other than the iPhone I guess. Last I checked it was reported that Samsung had sold 1 million Galaxy Notes globally in 2 months. Apple last noted they sold 37 million in a quarter or 3 months. Who knows maybe they will sell 36 million in the US in the first month.

I'm not arguing that there isn't a market for it. Which is probably why Samsung has 134 phones to sell vs Apples 3.
I moved from a stylus phone, had 2 Palm Treo's, and I still can't remember how many stylus I had to buy between my kids and myself.
Note: I'm not trying to compare the Treo to the Note. ATM I just can not think of a reason I would need to pull a stylus out.

On another note I enjoyed the America's Got Talent commercial.

briantology
Feb 7, 2012, 09:11 PM
Not that it matters, but:
"...Colts hall of famer Raymond Berry carried the Vince Lombardi Trophy..."

ABernardoJr
Feb 7, 2012, 09:14 PM

I like the base my buying decisions of technology on what professional athletes use.

No we should decide based off of actors paid to endorse them while riding dirt bikes and firing out of cannons instead

wikus
Feb 7, 2012, 09:27 PM

No we should decide based off of actors paid to endorse them while riding dirt bikes and firing out of cannons instead

Youre both wrong. We should decide... no. We should do as Steve Jobs told us to. You know, like this;

http://ungraphic.com/stuff/steve_bigbrother_jobs.jpg

kas23
Feb 7, 2012, 09:27 PM
ZOMG! Eli Manning has an iPhone! Never heard of it before, but now must have one!

Zaqfalcon
Feb 7, 2012, 09:32 PM
Come on, over egging the pudding somewhat don't you think? It wasn't that obvious. The way the article was witten I expected there to be like 50 people lined up with the same phone. Besides all those phones look the same, it could have been anything, didn't some European Judges say so ;)

What's with "world champions"? Not my world.

Koodauw
Feb 7, 2012, 09:35 PM
I read to till the part where it said Jim Cramer and then I stopped reading.

Mikedexter
Feb 7, 2012, 09:46 PM

I'm a nerd I noticed my white iPhone with black bumper and yes I said mine lol. But in all seriousness the Samsung commercial was funny but the iPhone is the Porsche, Samsung is a Cadillac that's all there is to it!

AustinIllini
Feb 7, 2012, 09:52 PM

I tried criticizing the stylus on another thread and was crucified. Be careful!!

Bearxor
Feb 7, 2012, 10:10 PM
Yeah, I actually told my wife that it seems like a lot of players had white iPhones.

So much for the theory that 'real' men don't buy white iPhones for themselves.

I was going to post this exact same thing. I looked at my wife and said "Well, I guess owning a white iPhone doesn't mean you're gay." and she said "They're on the down low."

But yeah, too many white iPhones. Though they are pretty.

kevinkt
Feb 7, 2012, 10:22 PM
samsung users were too busy playing with their new fangled STYLUS!!!!!!!

IvanTheBearable
Feb 7, 2012, 11:33 PM
Strawman. :rolleyes:
He never said only iPhone owners know how it looks. You said that.
You're putting words in his mouth and misrepresenting his very valid point just to try to strengthen yours.
But just like smartphones, identifying obvious logical fallacies isn't always everyone's strong suit.

What he said was:

That seems to be clearly suggesting that non-iPhone users wouldn't recognize an iPhone. I don't think he is right but I also don't think jacobo007 was putting words in his mouth.

estockme
Feb 7, 2012, 11:38 PM
I thought it was obnoxious. I get it, you are in the middle of a historic moment, probably one of the greatest of your life. Still, I'm not exactly looking forward to a future where this is the norm. Iphone or whatever.

Skika
Feb 8, 2012, 04:58 AM
I thought it was obnoxious. I get it, you are in the middle of a historic moment, probably one of the greatest of your life. Still, I'm not exactly looking forward to a future where this is the norm. Iphone or whatever.

So, if i understand correct, you seem to not get your mind around of the thought of people celebrating their greatest moments and taking pictures of it to remember it?

farleysmaster
Feb 8, 2012, 06:04 AM
Please let's not have 800 posts about styluses.

Adidas Addict
Feb 8, 2012, 06:52 AM
Please let's not have 800 posts abut styluses.

Can I just have one post, Oh man was I tha bomb back in the day with my P800

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/i/z/rv/2003/01/se-p800-i3.jpg

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lmuypfVu1d1qdrrv6o1_500.gif

BillyBobBongo
Feb 8, 2012, 08:02 AM
This has to be the most worthless post I've read on MacRumors since, well...since Jordan's post prior to this I guess. Utter tosh!

psac
Feb 8, 2012, 08:10 AM
I noticed it as well, really strongly. The Eli Corvette thing was interesting in that he does a ton of local Toyota TV ads here in the NY area, so I don't think he wanted anything to do with a rival car maker.

ixodes
Feb 8, 2012, 08:17 AM
iPhones are everywhere, that's no surprise. Being subsidized by carriers, there's no exclusivity or anything unique about them. That's not a criticism just a fact.

They're produced in massive quantities, no wonder they're so common. Hey, it's America, land of the consumer. Little kids have them, it's no big deal.

ericinboston
Feb 8, 2012, 08:43 AM

Right...unless you were a Giants FAN, nobody watched the post-game stuff. Much less even notice the players taking pictures...much less wonder if it was an iPhone or Droid or other device.

Watching this video and looking for the cameras, there really is no definitive proof that they are all iPhones. I think I spotted 1.

I was, however, immediately creeped out regarding the guy in the tan jacket smiling while everyone was fondling the trophy.

PracticalMac
Feb 8, 2012, 09:21 AM
Next year Apple should dangle Free iPhone 6 (or 5S) to the winners of the SB! (all players, coaches, assistants, water boy, etc).

;)

----------

This has to be the most worthless post I've read on MacRumors since, well...since Jordan's post prior to this I guess. Utter tosh!

Some makes sports a life-or-death thing. While to you it is a mindless waste of time and effort, to others it is what they live for.

Just the way it is, and I am not going to burst their bubble.

BillyBobBongo
Feb 8, 2012, 09:36 AM
Some makes sports a life-or-death thing. While to you it is a mindless waste of time and effort, to others it is what they live for.

I didn't say that the sporting event was worthless, my point was that the inferences made in this article are just stupid. The fact that a bunch of Athletes took some photos using an iPhone does not make it news. This is of course made worse by it then being regurgitated here for all to endure once again. The standard of news has gone downhill so fast here at MacRumors that they might as well jack it in and go and work for Fox.

Clive At Five
Feb 8, 2012, 09:46 AM

He speaks the truth, yet you down-vote him in a landslide?

We here on MacRumors are NOT the average consumer. We can spot the difference between an iPhone and an HTC from 30 yards away... The average consumer just sees people snapping photos and videos with a smart-phone.

Dorje Sylas
Feb 8, 2012, 09:57 AM

We here on MacRumors are NOT the average consumer. We can spot the difference between an iPhone and an HTC from 30 yards away... The average consumer just sees people snapping photos and videos with a smart-phone.

Expecting MacRumors to not downvote vague anti-Mac snark is like expecting a shark NOT to take a bite out of a wounded swimmer. Remember we Mac fans have been very touchy about criticisms for a long time, old habits are hard to break. (posted by an almost exclusivly Apple hardware customer)

Oddly I think that's part of Apples beef with Samsung is that they are apeing the design to make that "ID at a distance" blurred. Then again it's getting easier becaue if it fits neatly in the palm then its an iPhone. If it fits (and not dwarfed) by a 300+ lb. defensive lineman, then it's likely some other brand.

CBJammin103
Feb 8, 2012, 10:59 AM

I might be wrong but I think the average consumer assumes that a random smart-phone is an iPhone.

Bearxor
Feb 8, 2012, 11:43 AM
I didn't say that the sporting event was worthless, my point was that the inferences made in this article are just stupid. The fact that a bunch of Athletes took some photos using an iPhone does not make it news. This is of course made worse by it then being regurgitated here for all to endure once again. The standard of news has gone downhill so fast here at MacRumors that they might as well jack it in and go and work for Fox.

Seriously, dude? It's a blog. Not the New York Times.

AustinIllini
Feb 8, 2012, 12:11 PM
I might be wrong but I think the average consumer assumes that a random smart-phone is an iPhone.

Or at least there are two types "iPhone" and "Droid". I think Verizon and Motorola squandered an excellent opportunity to continue to market the "Droid" brand as the iPhone alternative.

alphaod
Feb 8, 2012, 12:22 PM
Yes I noticed this whilst watching the game.

likemyorbs
Feb 8, 2012, 12:45 PM
Meanwhile in Africa ...

No one cares. The end.

Rodimus Prime
Feb 8, 2012, 01:21 PM
Right...unless you were a Giants FAN, nobody watched the post-game stuff. Much less even notice the players taking pictures...much less wonder if it was an iPhone or Droid or other device.

Watching this video and looking for the cameras, there really is no definitive proof that they are all iPhones. I think I spotted 1.

I was, however, immediately creeped out regarding the guy in the tan jacket smiling while everyone was fondling the trophy.

Where did I say everyone turned it off? I stated a fact. A lot of people turn off the TV as soon as the game is over and do not watch the post game.

Dainin
Feb 8, 2012, 01:23 PM
I noticed, but more importantly my wife noticed. Besides, now that it has been pointed out, I'm betting this gets picked up by mainstream media.

pmz
Feb 8, 2012, 01:41 PM
Apple products sell themselves. When it comes down to spending about $100-$200 on a smartphone, and getting an expensive plan w/ data....people choose the iPhone.

Some people "end up with" other things, like the Samsung things, but those people are typically choosing them just to get something other than Apple. Some people are afraid that buying an Apple product will change them in some way. (which it might, if only for the better)

Clive At Five
Feb 8, 2012, 03:06 PM
Expecting MacRumors to not downvote vague anti-Mac snark is like expecting a shark NOT to take a bite out of a wounded swimmer. Remember we Mac fans have been very touchy about criticisms for a long time, old habits are hard to break. (posted by an almost exclusivly Apple hardware customer)

I was defending Macs before Steve Jobs came back to Apple... yet I still posess the ability to take a critical look at their product line... so what's everyone else's problem? Oh yeah, they're pretentious bohemian snobs who think they know technology and think they know Apple.

Anyone who frequents a site called macrumors is probably a little biased. I wouldn't make the same assumption.

macpeach55
Feb 8, 2012, 04:06 PM
Image (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/07/the-best-superbowl-ad-was-for-the-iphone/)

More than fifty commercials aired (http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/46/commercials) during the Super Bowl this past Sunday, including one from Samsung that again poked fun at Apple's customers (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/05/samsung-continues-to-poke-fun-at-apple-fans-in-super-bowl-ad/).

Apple didn't run any ads during the Super Bowl, at least not officially -- a fact that puzzled some commentators (http://mashable.com/2012/02/06/why-didnt-apple-advertise-during-super-bowl/). But, as investment guru Jim Cramer points out (http://www.thestreet.com/story/11404152/1/cramer-the-best-super-bowl-ad.html), Apple did have an advertisement of sorts air during the Super Bowl.

After the game was over, Colts hall of gamer Raymond Berry carrier the Vince Lombardi Trophy along a long line of New York Giants players. Players took turns touching or kissing the trophy, all the while taking photos and videos of the event. By far the most common device used to record the moment was the iPhone -- an event seen by millions.

YouTube: video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=ws0AEJXOPhI)
Jim Cramer (http://www.thestreet.com/story/11404152/1/cramer-the-best-super-bowl-ad.html):A 30-second spot during the game cost advertisers $3.5 million. For 1 minute and 20 seconds, Giants players used their iPhones to capture a once-in-a-lifetime moment that tens of millions watched on television. Cramer believes that this, more than any anything else, was the best advertisement of the Super Bowl.

via Daring Fireball (http://daringfireball.net/linked/2012/02/07/cramer-super-bowl)

Article Link: The Best Superbowl Ad Was for the iPhone (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/07/the-best-superbowl-ad-was-for-the-iphone/)

Yes, it was a great free ad for the iPhone, but what about where he states " It was just a collection of the most cool, most idolized competitors in the world"
Sorry to burst his bubble, but the vast majority of people outside America don't care about the Superbowl, let alone idolising the players.
If he is an investment Guru, I would warn anyone only to invest in stock he suggests in the USA - his grasp of things Worldwide is obviously very limited based on this statement! ;)

BobbyRond
Feb 9, 2012, 04:13 AM
They're selling like crazy for any phone other than the iPhone I guess. Last I checked it was reported that Samsung had sold 1 million Galaxy Notes globally in 2 months. Apple last noted they sold 37 million in a quarter or 3 months. Who knows maybe they will sell 36 million in the US in the first month.

I'm not arguing that there isn't a market for it. Which is probably why Samsung has 134 phones to sell vs Apples 3.
I moved from a stylus phone, had 2 Palm Treo's, and I still can't remember how many stylus I had to buy between my kids and myself.
Note: I'm not trying to compare the Treo to the Note. ATM I just can not think of a reason I would need to pull a stylus out.

On another note I enjoyed the America's Got Talent commercial.

I spotted 3 word puns. :rolleyes:

PracticalMac
Feb 9, 2012, 11:49 AM
jack it in and go and work for Fox.

You just legitimized the MR report right there.

News is shades of importance, and when their is little to report about, even the most trivial item becomes headline stuff.

carlgo
Feb 10, 2012, 09:29 AM
Eastwood's ad was the most powerful by far. All else failed in comparison, although I did notice the iPhone thing at the end and wondered how many people caught that.

ncaissie
Feb 10, 2012, 01:45 PM
Iím a nerd so I donít watch football. But every day I look at what type of phones people are playing with on the city bus. Most of the time itís iphones. Then there is me watching movies on my ipad 2. LOL :D

designs216
Mar 1, 2013, 05:15 AM
My favorite runner up was the Walking Dead inspired TimeWarner spot (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5HX2rdDPz1E). I despise TW but once you start watching WD you are hooked! I missed this one during the game but they just started running it in my area and I had to post.