PDA

View Full Version : Used Mac Pro G5 no operating system need help!!

zpaitsel
Feb 8, 2012, 09:48 AM
thanks in advance here, I am new to MAC. I am very proficient in PC to the point of running a network. I just have never used mac.

Getting to the point, I was given three MAC pro G5 (2004) I replaced the motherboard and it works.. although I don't believe there is any operating system on the HDD. I am looking for a guide or instructions telling me how to install the OSX, additionally It is a 8 ram slot machine with what appears to be dual(watercooled ... looks like a radiator for a heatsink) cpu chips.

Right now I am running 2(1gb) sticks of Ram. I am using a windows keyboard and trying to translate the keys.

Is there a boot menu I can boot into to change the boot order to boot to cd rom, and I think i read somewhere I can just push the power on while holding down the mouse key and insert the disc for the OSX.. will it then just run and install like a p.c. ?? or is there something I'm missing here..

sorry again just not much experience with MAC and I am trying to get experience

Neodym
Feb 8, 2012, 10:37 AM
Have the OSX CD inserted into the optical drive and when the chime sounded after reboot/cold start, press 'c' and keep it down until the machine boots from the CD. Installation then runs automatically as you know it from Windows.

Make sure the OSX CD is Leopard (10.5) or OLDER, as newer OS releases don't support the PPC CPU in the Powermacs anymore...

flatfoot
Feb 8, 2012, 11:15 AM
Have the OSX CD inserted into the optical drive and when the chime sounded after reboot/cold start, press 'c' and keep it down until the machine boots from the CD. Installation then runs automatically as you know it from Windows.

Make sure the OSX CD is Leopard (10.5) or OLDER, as newer OS releases don't support the PPC CPU in the Powermacs anymore...

That – and you're informed correctly about the part about holding down the mouse button. At least for wired mice that should work, too.

minifridge1138
Feb 8, 2012, 12:33 PM
Another option is to hold the "ALT" key as the computer starts.
That should give you the boot selector menu.

From there you can pick hard drive or optical drive.

You can find a 10.5 install disk on eBay or Craigslist. You'll either need a retail disk (universal install) or the grey restore disk for a PowerMac (grey disks are machine specific so an iMac disk won't work for your machine).

Congrats on the G5. It's still a very capable machine, just not a very supported one.

zpaitsel
Feb 8, 2012, 09:19 PM
ok, here it goes in a nutshell, I didn't know i had it but i have the osx cd only cd installation 1 which is 10.4 (suppose that is tiger from my research) I am using a windows keyboard holding down c... boots to apple logo and goes to a previous user(in this case national geographic .. yes the magazine) so.. i want to install a fresh copy over the hdd.. i dont care what was on there .. i just need to get this osx up and running ...lol, I can honestly say i have never been so frustrated in my live on any pc i have ever used.. but i want to learn mac (not a good experience so far..lol)

long story short i hold down the alt key which in conver is the option i believe and i get 4 different boot options... that stays for about oh... 35 seconds then the entire thing freezes up and I can't choose an option... is there anyway to bipass this password and reset and just totally erase... or what .. sorry for whining like a girl here.. but I am simply frustrated... I am again very verse in p.c.. i can flash phone's, mod xbox's, program cable modem's, mod wii, ps3 ect.. but all using pc... this is why i want to learn mac... i feel incomplete.. lmao...

thanks again for all your guys' help

minifridge1138
Feb 8, 2012, 09:33 PM
Sorry to hear your experience hasn't been good so far.

If you just let it boot normally, can you login or does the user require a password?

You can reset the password, but that requires booting off of the CD.
If you're booting off of the CD, then you can re-format the HDD and re-install OSX.

It shouldn't freeze when you get the boot selector. I'm not sure about that.

Can you select the CD before it freezes?
After it starts to boot off the CD, it will take a few minutes before anything shows up. You'll see a grey screen and a blue screen with a spinning pinwheel/beachball.

What CD do you have? Is it Grey? What does it say on it?

zpaitsel
Feb 8, 2012, 09:49 PM
Sorry to hear your experience hasn't been good so far.

If you just let it boot normally, can you login or does the user require a password?

You can reset the password, but that requires booting off of the CD.
If you're booting off of the CD, then you can re-format the HDD and re-install OSX.

It shouldn't freeze when you get the boot selector. I'm not sure about that.

Can you select the CD before it freezes?
After it starts to boot off the CD, it will take a few minutes before anything shows up. You'll see a grey screen and a blue screen with a spinning pinwheel/beachball.

What CD do you have? Is it Grey? What does it say on it?

yes, it is a grey installation dvd says 10.4 on the cover says hold c to start from mac os x and to use apple hardware test hold down the option key as the computer starts up... so i hold c and it goes to a log on screen .. (which I do not know the username or password) seems like if i knew the password and username it would boot into the osx ..also it says to use apple hardware test hold down the option key as the computer starts up... then it boots into a menu like deal which is where it freezes and won't let me select the option..(shows like a watch turning then freezes)

goMac
Feb 8, 2012, 10:10 PM
yes, it is a grey installation dvd says 10.4 on the cover says hold c to start from mac os x and to use apple hardware test hold down the option key as the computer starts up... so i hold c and it goes to a log on screen .. (which I do not know the username or password) seems like if i knew the password and username it would boot into the osx ..also it says to use apple hardware test hold down the option key as the computer starts up... then it boots into a menu like deal which is where it freezes and won't let me select the option..(shows like a watch turning then freezes)

The gray ones are normally for specific Macs and don't work on other ones. What kind of Mac is that install disk for? It should say on the disk.

Aside from that, make sure you are holding down C as soon as the computer boots. Pretty much as soon as it makes the chime noise. If you can see the Apple logo, you're too late.

zpaitsel
Feb 8, 2012, 10:17 PM
The gray ones are normally for specific Macs and don't work on other ones. What kind of Mac is that install disk for? It should say on the disk.

Aside from that, make sure you are holding down C as soon as the computer boots. Pretty much as soon as it makes the chime noise. If you can see the Apple logo, you're too late.

it says power mac g5 on the disc // i am holding c before I even push the power button i just dont know why it freezes... nor do i understand why it tries to let me log on ... is there any way to bypass the logon screen.. this is a new logic board( i just replaced it) and i replaced the cmos battery finally i got to the apple screen.. i just can't seem to get any further.. i have even tried to boot a backup copy of a mac osx 3 diff versions.. and still no luck..i burned using transmac software on my pc. I also tried to burn using imgburn and changing the .dmg to a .iso..

goMac
Feb 9, 2012, 12:48 AM
it says power mac g5 on the disc // i am holding c before I even push the power button i just dont know why it freezes... nor do i understand why it tries to let me log on ... is there any way to bypass the logon screen.. this is a new logic board( i just replaced it) and i replaced the cmos battery finally i got to the apple screen.. i just can't seem to get any further.. i have even tried to boot a backup copy of a mac osx 3 diff versions.. and still no luck..i burned using transmac software on my pc. I also tried to burn using imgburn and changing the .dmg to a .iso..

It's possible it's firmware locked, which would be a bigger problem.

Unfortunately I don't know the key combo to boot it to open firmware mode on a windows keyboard. Anyone want to help out with that? :)

flatfoot
Feb 9, 2012, 02:18 AM

To reinstall you have to get it to boot from an install disc.

There were several revisions of the Power Mac G5. Maybe the install disc is for a different one than yours. Try to get your hands on a retail (i.e. not grey) 10.5 install DVD via eBay.

Another idea: It might be that the boot selector doesn't work (properly) due to the non-Apple keyboard you're using.

Winni
Feb 9, 2012, 03:34 AM
thanks in advance here, I am new to MAC. I am very proficient in PC to the point of running a network. I just have never used mac.

Getting to the point, I was given three MAC pro G5 (2004) I replaced the motherboard and it works.. although I don't believe there is any operating system on the HDD. I am looking for a guide or instructions telling me how to install the OSX, additionally It is a 8 ram slot machine with what appears to be dual(watercooled ... looks like a radiator for a heatsink) cpu chips.

Right now I am running 2(1gb) sticks of Ram. I am using a windows keyboard and trying to translate the keys.

Is there a boot menu I can boot into to change the boot order to boot to cd rom, and I think i read somewhere I can just push the power on while holding down the mouse key and insert the disc for the OSX.. will it then just run and install like a p.c. ?? or is there something I'm missing here..

sorry again just not much experience with MAC and I am trying to get experience

Forget about OS X. Apple no longer supports PowerPC-versions of their software, and almost all third party vendors dropped the support, too.

Install Linux on that machine, you'll be MUCH happier with it.

Daily builds of the forthcoming Ubuntu 12.04 LTS release are once again available for PowerPC machines:

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/

If you prefer Mint, you can get it from here:

http://www.mintppc.org/content/installation-instructions-mintppc-11

You can also download Fedora 16 for 64-Bit PowerPCs from one of those mirrors:

https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/publiclist/Fedora/16/ppc64/

Debian, of course, is also available for PowerPC machines and there is even a FreeBSD port available.

In other words, there are many operating systems available for your PowerMac that are still very much ALIVE. You're better off using one of those.

Just my unpopular two cents.

Neodym
Feb 9, 2012, 09:13 AM
Did you reset the PMU (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1939) after you replaced the logic board? Not sure it would solve your problems, just for the sake of completeness...

More helpful may be the following:

If there is a firmware password on your Powermac, you can force reset it by doing the following:

1. Turn off the Powermac and physically add or remove a Ram stick, so that the installed amount of memory in the machine changes.
2. Reset PRAM/NVRAM 3 consecutive time by cold-starting the Powermac and pressing Command-Alt-P-R when the chime sounds. Keep those keys pressed until until you have heard the chime three more times.

Now your computer is completely reset to factory settings and the password gone, so you should be able to normally boot and install a fresh copy of OS X according to the procedures described earlier in this thread. Don't forget to put back the mem stick if you removed one.

Oh btw. - if you want to boot into Open Firmware, keep Command-Option-O-F pressed when the chime sounds. You can do many things there which could have negative effects, so better read some manual about the possibilities and available commands before you experiment! Though normally you should not need to go there - simply remove the password and install OS X.

zpaitsel
Feb 9, 2012, 12:15 PM
I can give that a shot for now I suppose and use another os like ubuntu ect.. although what if I changed the HDD completely would that make a difference or is the f/w lock on the hardware itself ??

goMac
Feb 9, 2012, 12:26 PM
I can give that a shot for now I suppose and use another os like ubuntu ect.. although what if I changed the HDD completely would that make a difference or is the f/w lock on the hardware itself ??

If you know what a BIOS password is on the PC, it's the exact same thing. It's a lockout on the motherboard that keeps you from changing the boot settings.

zpaitsel
Feb 9, 2012, 12:29 PM
Did you reset the PMU (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1939) after you replaced the logic board? Not sure it would solve your problems, just for the sake of completeness...

More helpful may be the following:

If there is a firmware password on your Powermac, you can force reset it by doing the following:

1. Turn off the Powermac and physically add or remove a Ram stick, so that the installed amount of memory in the machine changes.
2. Reset PRAM/NVRAM 3 consecutive time by cold-starting the Powermac and pressing Command-Alt-P-R when the chime sounds. Keep those keys pressed until until you have heard the chime three more times.

Now your computer is completely reset to factory settings and the password gone, so you should be able to normally boot and install a fresh copy of OS X according to the procedures described earlier in this thread. Don't forget to put back the mem stick if you removed one.

Oh btw. - if you want to boot into Open Firmware, keep Command-Option-O-F pressed when the chime sounds. You can do many things there which could have negative effects, so better read some manual about the possibilities and available commands before you experiment! Though normally you should not need to go there - simply remove the password and install OS X.

I will give this a try when I get home and see what happens I believe this may be the problem, we shall see! I will report back tonight..

oh and thank you guys for all your help..!!!!

C. Alan
Feb 9, 2012, 12:31 PM
Forget about OS X. Apple no longer supports PowerPC-versions of their software, and almost all third party vendors dropped the support, too.

Daily builds of the forthcoming Ubuntu 12.04 LTS release are once again available for PowerPC machines:

Debian, of course, is also available for PowerPC machines and there is even a FreeBSD port available.

In other words, there are many operating systems available for your PowerMac that are still very much ALIVE. You're better off using one of those.

This is an interesting idea. Reciently on fee-bay, I have seen a lot of old G5 Mac Pro's go for very cheap because they don't have operating systems on them. My 2006 Imac reciently died, and was condsidering picking up one of these as a replacement. The Imac mainly gets used by the kids, and I wanted to stick with OSX because it is pretty hard to screw up, and Linux would be just as hard to mess with if configured properly.
--C. Alan

zpaitsel
Feb 9, 2012, 03:43 PM
If you know what a BIOS password is on the PC, it's the exact same thing. It's a lockout on the motherboard that keeps you from changing the boot settings.

that's what i was figuring... the wierd part is .. i changed the logicboard so it is a new logicboard not the original one.. when i booted the hdd up did it transfer that security to the new logicboard??

666sheep
Feb 10, 2012, 02:06 AM
that's what i was figuring... the wierd part is .. i changed the logicboard so it is a new logicboard not the original one.. when i booted the hdd up did it transfer that security to the new logicboard??

Nope. It's not on HDD. OF (and password too) is stored in chip soldered on logic board.

But even if OF password is enabled machine shouldn't freeze. You should rather see on the screen something like below:

http://www.howdoesamac.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Open-Firmware-Password.png

Back to your problem: did you perform thermal calibration for new logic board? You need Apple Service Diagnostics disc (ver. 2.5.8 IIRC) to do that. It's required to calibrate thermal sensors on CPUs and logic board. It's standard procedure when you replace CPU(s) or board.

Freezes (esp. before OS wil load up) usually mean hardware problem, so I'd check that first. Overheating could be second issue. Get ASD and perform thermal calibration and full hardware test (if you'll be able to boot your machine first OFC).

zpaitsel
Feb 10, 2012, 02:46 PM
Nope. It's not on HDD. OF (and password too) is stored in chip soldered on logic board.

But even if OF password is enabled machine shouldn't freeze. You should rather see on the screen something like below:

Image (http://www.howdoesamac.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Open-Firmware-Password.png)

Back to your problem: did you perform thermal calibration for new logic board? You need Apple Service Diagnostics disc (ver. 2.5.8 IIRC) to do that. It's required to calibrate thermal sensors on CPUs and logic board. It's standard procedure when you replace CPU(s) or board.

Freezes (esp. before OS wil load up) usually mean hardware problem, so I'd check that first. Overheating could be second issue. Get ASD and perform thermal calibration and full hardware test (if you'll be able to boot your machine first OFC).

no i did not perform a calibration, although i did read something about that controlling the cpu temp and fan speed. But it seems i can't boot to a cd, so does that mean i need to go into OFM to run from the dvd??

goMac
Feb 10, 2012, 06:44 PM
This may be a silly question... when you changed the logic board, did you make sure to hook up the data cable for the cd drive?

zpaitsel
Feb 13, 2012, 08:46 AM
I will give this a try when I get home and see what happens I believe this may be the problem, we shall see! I will report back tonight..

oh and thank you guys for all your help..!!!!

Ok, I physically removed a stick from each side of the memory banks, Then I got an apple keyboard(borrowed from a friend).

I started the computer from scratch after it sat for about a day. I held down the command, alt, p, r right at the chime and i can't get any more chimes.... am I doing something incorrectly here ?? Additionally I tried holding them down before I had someone else push the power button on the front and still can't get any chimes..

and to answer the other guys' question.. all the connections are confirmed on the logicboard.. i have went over them three times.

666sheep
Feb 13, 2012, 08:48 AM
Press (and hold) keys before chime.

flatfoot
Feb 13, 2012, 10:19 AM
...and/or try using a different USB port.

Neodym
Feb 13, 2012, 02:20 PM
Sorry for being not precise enough: You need to keep the command and option keys on BOTH sides of the keyboard pressed down (i usually use one thumb per either side for both keys) together with the p and r keys.

zpaitsel
Feb 14, 2012, 07:16 AM
Sorry for being not precise enough: You need to keep the command and option keys on BOTH sides of the keyboard pressed down (i usually use one thumb per either side for both keys) together with the p and r keys.

ok i was only using them on the left side and using my fingers on the key's.. i didnt know it had to be on both sides, Either way i can only boot to one screen.. this rediculous login screen.. There is no lock it just gives me options for restart, sleep, login, and has a big disclaimer this is property of national geographic blah blah blah...

is it possible there is an HDD lock on this thing??? but that doesn't explain why i can't boot from cd... and i know the cd recognizes the disc because i can boot to the boot options menu but from there i can't make any selection.

gpzjock
Feb 14, 2012, 07:33 AM
If it was me, I would replace the HDD with a different one that has not been anywhere near a G5 Mac Pro. Then I would fire it up and hold down the C key to boot from the OS X install DVD. Check you are not trying to read a DVD with a CD Rom drive (unlikely but possible). Once into the install menu select Disc Utility from the top left menu bar, the options on this menu are very limited. In Disc Utility erase and repartition the new HDD with a single Mac OS X partition.
Once this drive is visible on the desktop run the OS X install.

Hope this helps, Mac OS X is very different to Windows so you are in a process of relearning what you already know for one OS in another. Trust me, I get just as frustrated inside the Hell of Gates.

Here is a guide just in case it helps: http://macs.about.com/od/leopard105/ss/installleopard.htm
Use the alternative boot option on page 2.

zpaitsel
Feb 14, 2012, 08:19 AM
If it was me, I would replace the HDD with a different one that has not been anywhere near a G5 Mac Pro. Then I would fire it up and hold down the C key to boot from the OS X install DVD. Check you are not trying to read a DVD with a CD Rom drive (unlikely but possible). Once into the install menu select Disc Utility from the top left menu bar, the options on this menu are very limited. In Disc Utility erase and repartition the new HDD with a single Mac OS X partition.
Once this drive is visible on the desktop run the OS X install.

Hope this helps, Mac OS X is very different to Windows so you are in a process of relearning what you already know for one OS in another. Trust me, I get just as frustrated inside the Hell of Gates.

Here is a guide just in case it helps: http://macs.about.com/od/leopard105/ss/installleopard.htm
Use the alternative boot option on page 2.

Actually I was thinking this was my next option... question though.. is there anyway I can format this HDD outside of the mac using my p.c.?? maybe like an external enclosure.. just totally erase the drive and reformat it with my friends macbook??

minifridge1138
Feb 14, 2012, 09:11 AM
You can use your friends MacBook to format the drive.
You can not install the OS that way.
MacBooks are intel, the g5 is not.

Since it boots, I'd say everything works but has a firmware password.
With that, you

666sheep
Feb 14, 2012, 11:54 AM
Right now I am running 2(1gb) sticks of Ram.

Ok, I physically removed a stick from each side of the memory banks, Then I got an apple keyboard(borrowed from a friend).

Little confusing. How many sticks you have finally? If only 2, did you remove them and put back then tried to zap PRAM? You have to change amount of RAM (add or remove 2 sticks - or even one if you have more than 2)...

Next: you don't have to press and hold BOTH "option/alt" or "command" keys.
That was the funniest thing I've read today :D
Just press and hold ONE "option/alt" + ONE "command" + ONE "P" + ONE "R" :p BEFORE it chimes. Hold until you'll hear third chime.
Another: did you try another optical drive?

zpaitsel
Feb 14, 2012, 12:22 PM
Little confusing. How many sticks you have finally? If only 2, did you remove them and put back then tried to zap PRAM? You have to change amount of RAM (add or remove 2 sticks - or even one if you have more than 2)...

Just press and hold ONE "option/alt" + ONE "command" + ONE "P" + ONE "R" :p BEFORE it chimes. Hold until you'll hear third chime.

I have 6 sticks of ram 2(1gb 3200) 4 (256mb 3200) and 8 ram slots / I was under the impression you had to add/remove sticks evenly from both sides.

for the purposes of this testing I have used two pieces of ram in each side of the 8 slots (4each side) in each as follows slot 1(both sides) the 1gb sticks, and in each slot 2 a 256 mb stick. of the logicboard when I try to reset the NVRAM i remove a stick from each side?? is this incorrect??

either way I still can not boot into open firmware / nor can I get any chimes after the initial dong sound when it starts up... I have tried holding the keys and having someone else hit the power button, tried waiting for the chime then hitting the commands.. you name it i have tried it...

When i got the new logicboard I bought a brand new logicboard battery as a replacement / is it possible as well i have crashe the pmu somehow and killed that battery?? it seems i have to wait a few minutes before it will even boot twice now... seems that If I try to shut off manually with front button i can't turn it right back on and try to boot up... I'm like totally lost on this thing.. and If I didn't have good sense I would use it for target practice@!!!

Also, when i put everything back in and started this up for the first time it looked like a bunch of dos commands going on then it booted up to this password screen.. is it possible the HDD transferred this F/w lock to the new logicboard?? Again I am a pc. guy excuse me if my questions seem rediculous..

666sheep
Feb 14, 2012, 02:23 PM
I have 6 sticks of ram 2(1gb 3200) 4 (256mb 3200) and 8 ram slots / I was under the impression you had to add/remove sticks evenly from both sides.

for the purposes of this testing I have used two pieces of ram in each side of the 8 slots (4each side) in each as follows slot 1(both sides) the 1gb sticks, and in each slot 2 a 256 mb stick. of the logicboard when I try to reset the NVRAM i remove a stick from each side?? is this incorrect??

either way I still can not boot into open firmware / nor can I get any chimes after the initial dong sound when it starts up... I have tried holding the keys and having someone else hit the power button, tried waiting for the chime then hitting the commands.. you name it i have tried it...

When i got the new logicboard I bought a brand new logicboard battery as a replacement / is it possible as well i have crashe the pmu somehow and killed that battery?? it seems i have to wait a few minutes before it will even boot twice now... seems that If I try to shut off manually with front button i can't turn it right back on and try to boot up... I'm like totally lost on this thing.. and If I didn't have good sense I would use it for target practice@!!!

Also, when i put everything back in and started this up for the first time it looked like a bunch of dos commands going on then it booted up to this password screen.. is it possible the HDD transferred this F/w lock to the new logicboard?? Again I am a pc. guy excuse me if my questions seem rediculous..

So it seems that you did it in right way.
Again: OF lock shouldn't have anything to do with HDD. OF is like BIOS (or EFI) - it's programmed chip soldered on logic board. I've had many Macs with OF lock enabled (bought from educational institutions) and so called "force OF password disable method" (which you're trying) always worked for me. OFC I've always used Apple kbd.
There are some "homebrew" shell scripts which could write some changes in OF, but AFAIK they must be executed when OS is loaded (I could be wrong here).

These DOS-looking commands were on black background, correct? If so, it was verbose mode (something like booting Linux without GUI, but without ability to run commands).

zpaitsel
Feb 14, 2012, 02:37 PM
Again: OF lock shouldn't have anything to do with HDD. OF is like BIOS (or EFI) - it's programmed chip soldered on logic board. I've had many Macs with OF lock enabled (bought from educational institutions) and so called "force OF password disable method" (which you're trying) always worked for me. OFC I've always used Apple kbd.
There are some "homebrew" shell scripts which could write some changes in OF, but AFAIK they must be executed when OS is loaded (I could be wrong here).

These DOS-looking commands were on black background, correct? If so, it was verbose mode (something like booting Linux without GUI, but without ability to run commands).

Yes, they were on a black background with starting > i waited and it ran (what i suppose would be a boot log). then i came to see the notorious lockscreen i can't get past.. I am going to buy a brand new keyboard / and start switching up the usb port i'm using for the keyboard tonight and see if maybe something is up with the keyboards i have or config.. atleast i can rule that out afterward...

zpaitsel
Feb 14, 2012, 07:31 PM

ok.. i swapped out the ram switched positions of the sticks held down on the proper commands hit the power button it chimes.. fan's rev up... then it chimes again but i dont get the entire chime only like 3/4 of a chime.. i bought a brand new battery(again) and happens the same every time.. could this be a power supply issue?

zpaitsel
Feb 15, 2012, 12:23 PM

OK since my two chime incident.. apparently i was able to boot into open firmware.. from there i hit reset-nvram (enter key) reset-all(enter key) then it seemed like it shut down or went to sleep but nothing happend.

now from here Should I be able to boot a retail copy from cd? I got the crazy little login window again but didnt try it. should i go into open firmware again and send a boot command...

666sheep
Feb 15, 2012, 12:51 PM
OK since my two chime incident.. apparently i was able to boot into open firmware.. from there i hit reset-nvram (enter key) reset-all(enter key) then it seemed like it shut down or went to sleep but nothing happend.

now from here Should I be able to boot a retail copy from cd? I got the crazy little login window again but didnt try it. should i go into open firmware again and send a boot command...

It should restart not shut down or sleep. http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1812 (See also to this better understand PRAM function: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379)
But if it allows you to reset nvram in OF without asking for password, then OF lock is disabled. Try to boot from install disc using cmd+c or boot X (hold alt/option at startup).

Try this if it still won't boot from DVD: http://blog.litot.es/2006/03/02/boot-from-cd-in-open-firmware/

zpaitsel
Feb 15, 2012, 02:28 PM
It should restart not shut down or sleep. http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1812 (See also to this better understand PRAM function: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379)
But if it allows you to reset nvram in OF without asking for password, then OF lock is disabled. Try to boot from install disc using cmd+c or boot X (hold alt/option at startup).

Try this if it still won't boot from DVD: http://blog.litot.es/2006/03/02/boot-from-cd-in-open-firmware/

I'm going to give this a shot.. thanks for the help once again .. I will also try booting from the usb if cd doesn't work.. will let you know.

It seemed like it restarted but the fan's didn't kick in and the osx didnt' load up it kind of just sat there with the white LED on the front... I was questioning if the pwr spply was faulty i am going to change that out as well tonight .. Why not I have two spares..lol

zpaitsel
Feb 16, 2012, 12:24 PM

Ok i have gotten conflicting info yes or no this machine can boot up with a usb drive in open firmware? I tried booting from cd in openfirmware when i enter the command it flashes to a screen and instead of an apple logo I get a circle with a line through it almost like a no smoking sign without the cigarette..does this mean the HDD is no good or what..?? very frustrated but trudging onward!

gpzjock
Feb 17, 2012, 02:09 AM
These problems you are encountering seem pretty unusual.
How many complete G5 Power Macs do you have out of the 3? What motherboard did you use to replace the original one? Why did you have to replace it in the first place? Check all the connectors are in the right place and fitting well. Take them out and press them home again just to be certain.
If you have plenty of spares you could mix and match components and see what works or not.
Apple often provide a Hardware Test disc with certain models of Mac which detects errors, have you got one? If not can you borrow one?

As for remote booting, if you hold the T key down while a external drive or other Mac is connected by Firewire, it will boot from there instead. Not familiar with USB remote boot systems.
You can pull the internal drive and reformat it on another Mac but the install needs to be in situ.

More questions than answers, sorry. :o

zpaitsel
Feb 17, 2012, 10:36 AM
These problems you are encountering seem pretty unusual.
How many complete G5 Power Macs do you have out of the 3? What motherboard did you use to replace the original one? Why did you have to replace it in the first place? Check all the connectors are in the right place and fitting well. Take them out and press them home again just to be certain.
If you have plenty of spares you could mix and match components and see what works or not.
Apple often provide a Hardware Test disc with certain models of Mac which detects errors, have you got one? If not can you borrow one?

As for remote booting, if you hold the T key down while a external drive or other Mac is connected by Firewire, it will boot from there instead. Not familiar with USB remote boot systems.
You can pull the internal drive and reformat it on another Mac but the install needs to be in situ.

More questions than answers, sorry. :o

NO PROBLEM, Thanks for trying to help anyway. I have three MacPro G5 towers. they were replaced or in this case given away due to bad logicboards / video card / power supply issues. I am a touch confused and maybe someone can help me with this to help me understand... Is an apple not like a pc in respect to booting from the CD/DVD drive?? it almost seems that you have to have the drive with an OSX on it in order to boot from the installation cd/dvd. On a pc you can boot to the os re-install cd regardless of the HDD status. Is this not the same as a mac? When I try to boot to the osx disc it gives me invalid target or something(I have wiped out the HDD). I can't seem to get this machine to boot to the CD/DVD no matter what I do. In open firmware it's telling me basically that that location doesn' exhist. Although I know it was showing up on option/alt boot when I tried to use that function. The only problem was that the mac would freeze up when trying to boot from that option.. Right now i have a totally blank HDD and all that show's up on boot is a little folder in the middle of the screen. Is there a windows utility that will format this HDD to the mac format??

minifridge1138
Feb 17, 2012, 11:02 AM
The Mac is just like a PC in most respects.
Just different APIs and EFI instead of Bios.

It should boot to an install cd/DVD even if no hard drive is physically present.

Using a windows machine to format the drive won't do anything for you if you can't boot off of the disk.

Are you sure the optical drives work?
Are you trying to put a DVD in a cd rom?

Without a cd/DVD in it, boot and hold option.
Once you are at the boot selector, put in the disc.

What happens?

Consultant
Feb 17, 2012, 11:17 AM
Normal method:
1. Put install disk in
2. Boot while holding ALT / OPTION key
3. Select dvd, install
Not sure why it's so difficult for you.

Is the DVD drive still good? That's typically the first thing to go on a computer.

Do you have the right DVD for the model?
- Tell us what you have (sticker on the back of Mac)
- Tell us what the CD says in terms of supported model

Designer Dale
Feb 17, 2012, 12:31 PM
These machines were property of National Geographic before you got them. Maybe the DVD drives were disabled to prevent installation or copying of unauthorized material. It does sound like the machine is preventing you from using the DVD drive. Maybe find or borrow a FireWire DVD drive and run the disk from there? I'm not sure, but you could try to boot in Target Disk mode from your friends MacBook and use that as a remote DVD for installing.

The grey Restore disks are not ment for installing an OS, which is what it seems you need to do. You must have an over the counter style boxed install DVD to do that.

I'm not a tech and I know you are frustrated. Keep in mind that they were free and it seems that they were given away because they were broken. Fixing stuff is a headache. Fixing stuff you aren't familiar with is a migraine.

Dale

zpaitsel
Feb 17, 2012, 12:36 PM
Normal method:
1. Put install disk in
2. Boot while holding ALT / OPTION key
3. Select dvd, install
Not sure why it's so difficult for you.

Is the DVD drive still good? That's typically the first thing to go on a computer.

Do you have the right DVD for the model?
- Tell us what you have (sticker on the back of Mac)
- Tell us what the CD says in terms of supported model

Well first off let me say that it's not a difficult concept, but appreciate the sarcasm anyway. I know pc inside and out, nothing at all about mac(reason why I am putting this piece of sh#T together in the first place... education.

The DVD drive spins up and you can physically feel the disc spinning inside the drive(going by vibration) the drive is a DVD R/W and came directly out of another one of the G5 computers I have. If you read my earlier post it says when I boot with ALT/OPTION I am unable to select any of the options and then I see a pictur of a little watch with the dials turning then the dials stop turning and it freezes(that's where it gets stuck). booting holding down command C, it will never boot to the DVD drive no matter what... I know the drive is good because it recognizes the install disc during the ALT/OPTION boot choice, I can see it.. just not boot to it.. I am beginning to think it's a hardware problem of some nature.. there again I do not have a Hardware diagnostics disc/but the grey osx install dvd has H/W diag in it(again seen from option boot menu) but I can't select that either.

I'm at work so I can give details on the drive model and such once I get back home tonight around 530pm EST.

thanks for any help. Even though It may seem I know nothing...I do have common sense when it comes to this but when things don't act right..combined with my lack of knowledge.. well you get the point.

minifridge1138
Feb 17, 2012, 12:49 PM
thanks for any help. Even though It may seem I know nothing...I do have common sense when it comes to this but when things don't act right..combined with my lack of knowledge.. well you get the point.

I can't speak for everyone, but I don't think you're an idiot.

What's confusing is you're doing everything you should do, it just isn't working.

I have 3 ideas
1) Failed hardware. You're out of luck.
2) All of the Macs had a firmware password set. I would have expected that to get cleared when you replaced the battery (I thought you said you did that) OR when you changed the ram configuration and tried to boot (I don't remember the exact steps, but it's something like that).
3) you have the wrong install discs. Just like a restore disk from a DELL won't work with an HP, apple restore disks (which absolutely are meant to do a clean install of the OS) only work with the machine they shipped with. The make/model of the machine is included in the firmware, and the install disk has a list of make/models that it is allowed to work with (you can actually modify this list and remove the restriction but that's another thread). I wasn't paying attention one day and tried to use a restore disk from an INTEL mac on a PowerPC mac. It did almost exactly what you're describing (it just hung on a spinning wheel)

What's really a shame is that you're either going to get frustrated and give up on macs OR you're going to get it working and be an expert on an obsolete set of hardware.

Consultant
Feb 17, 2012, 01:34 PM
<snip>

The problem is, all the information you've provided are vauge and are not useful for troubleshooting.

Since you supposedly changed the mobo, you need to provide the specs of the computer where the mobo came from. As the previous post suspected, I also think you have the wrong install disk if you can select the dvd disk.

zpaitsel
Feb 17, 2012, 02:38 PM

What's confusing is you're doing everything you should do, it just isn't working.

I have 3 ideas
2) All of the Macs had a firmware password set. I would have expected that to get cleared when you replaced the battery (I thought you said you did that) OR when you changed the ram configuration and tried to boot (I don't remember the exact steps, but it's something like that).
3) you have the wrong install discs. Just like a restore disk from a DELL won't work with an HP, apple restore disks (which absolutely are meant to do a clean install of the OS) only work with the machine they shipped with. The make/model of the machine is included in the firmware, and the install disk has a list of make/models that it is allowed to work with (you can actually modify this list and remove the restriction but that's another thread). I wasn't paying attention one day and tried to use a restore disk from an INTEL mac on a PowerPC mac. It did almost exactly what you're describing (it just hung on a spinning wheel)

What's really a shame is that you're either going to get frustrated and give up on macs OR you're going to get it working and be an expert on an obsolete set of hardware.

Well That makes total sense.. I didn't understand that what I had was a restore disk I was under the impression it was the operating system all together. I will go get a copy of leopard and try to install. I am assuming I couldn't make a selection because the disc was not a retail version but a restore version for a Hardware Configuration(this very well may be my problem).

I'm not looking to give up on mac's just yet by any means. I am just looking to fix this one to play around with it and give mac a chance since I have used pc for so long.

If I have a good experience once I get this thing up and running I am interested in the idea of buying a new intel mac(as I am seeing are much better). This one I believe I will just use as a media machine once It is up and running.

Thanks alot

minifridge1138
Feb 17, 2012, 08:00 PM
I'm glad to hear you haven't lost interest yet.
I believe all of the restore disks are grey (every one I have is and that ranges from 0S 9.1 to 10.5). It will say what Mac they are meant to restore.

The retail disks are Usually Black or White.

A retail Leopard disk is difficult to find without paying a lot of money. I've seen them sell on eBay for $150 and more.

A Tiger disk (10.4) can be found for $25. Supply and Demand i suppose.

Something I said but didn't elaborate on, I got the spinning wheel when using an Intel disk on a PowerPC mac. Sometimes you get a Kernel Panic, sometimes you get a spinning wheel.

When simply using the wrong models disk, it usually boots to the install process, but doesn't let you get very far before telling you the disk can't be used with your mac.

10.5 was released for both Intel And PowerPC. The retail install disk works on both systems. An intel restore disk only works on an intel mac. There wouldn't be a PowerPC restore disk for 10.5 because it was released after Apple Switched to Intel chips, therefore no powerpc ever shipped with 10.5.

Ccrew
Feb 17, 2012, 10:13 PM

A retail Leopard disk is difficult to find without paying a lot of money. I've seen them sell on eBay for $150 and more.

Really? I have a couple here,that's Beer $ :)

For what it's worth I ran this by one of my engineers who worked at NatGeo for years (NatGeo is also around the corner from my office) They didn't ever put password locks on the firmware.

to the OP If you don't get anywhere ping me by PM and I'll see if I can get you hooked up with either restore discs for the G5, or something retail that will load. I know I have them in 10.4 and have retail of everything to SL (and a Lion USB stick) I'm in NOVA, and like I said, work a block from NatGeo

zpaitsel
Feb 20, 2012, 05:34 PM

quick question, Does it matter how I burn this to make it a bootable img. Basically I will be burning it from my pc, will the mac have a problem reading it?? I'm trying one tonight..just looking for some insighit

zpaitsel
Feb 20, 2012, 10:58 PM

I have 3 ideas

ok, I think i have maybe figured out what's going on here, I believe the logicboard I bought may not support the processors or CPU's that i am running.

I currently have the watercooled cpu's on the board which i believe are 2.7ghz?

here is ther m/b i bought :
Model: 820-1592-A / do i need different cpu's for this?? It seems I keep getting freezing issues upon boot no matter what.. I have some spare cpu's but dont know if they are correct.. any way to check ??

PaulD-UK
Feb 21, 2012, 11:06 AM
Hi
Does the motherboard you've fitted have PCIe slots?
If so it expects to be fitted with G5 dual-core CPUs.

Single-core G5 2.7Ghz CPUs were fitted to the last of the 64-bit PCI-X slot motherboards.

The rather miscellaneous comments you've received here are because 99.9% of G5 users never attempted mix'n'match out of a used parts bin... ;)

zpaitsel
Feb 21, 2012, 04:35 PM
Hi
Does the motherboard you've fitted have PCIe slots?
If so it expects to be fitted with G5 dual-core CPUs.

Single-core G5 2.7Ghz CPUs were fitted to the last of the 64-bit PCI-X slot motherboards.

The rather miscellaneous comments you've received here are because 99.9% of G5 users never attempted mix'n'match out of a used parts bin... ;)

yes it has pcie slots 4 of them next to the video card slot, I believe I found out today the two cpu's are 2.5 dual-core I have, the stats on that logicboard call for the 2.3GHZ... would that make them non-interchangeable? All the parts I have came off of other G5's, only one of them had the watercooled unit, which is what I have on the system. I tried two of the other unit's and couldn't get the chime. I replaced the cpu's with these and got the boot chime, but it keeps freezing within 30 seconds of doing anything...

gpzjock
Feb 21, 2012, 04:52 PM
Power Mac G5 Thermal Calibration Service: It is vital for all Power Mac G5 to run thermal calibration after fitting a new logic board or processors, without it, Temperature Control will not be able to detect the system temperature correctly. As a result, it could cause the cooling fans to run at high speed, eventually damaging the logic board or processors. Conversely if the fans are not going fast enough it may cause problems too.

Found some archives on G5 Power Macs, try looking through these links for more clues:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2038811?start=0&tstart=0

http://www.welovemacs.com/powermacg51.html

http://mac.bigresource.com/Power-Mac-Logic-board-swap-G5-2-5hgz-dual-liquid-cool-power-pc--LcXjlRvBD.html

Will keep digging around.

zpaitsel
Feb 24, 2012, 07:37 AM
Power Mac G5 Thermal Calibration Service: It is vital for all Power Mac G5 to run thermal calibration after fitting a new logic board or processors, without it, Temperature Control will not be able to detect the system temperature correctly. As a result, it could cause the cooling fans to run at high speed, eventually damaging the logic board or processors. Conversely if the fans are not going fast enough it may cause problems too.

Found some archives on G5 Power Macs, try looking through these links for more clues:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2038811?start=0&tstart=0

http://www.welovemacs.com/powermacg51.html

http://mac.bigresource.com/Power-Mac-Logic-board-swap-G5-2-5hgz-dual-liquid-cool-power-pc--LcXjlRvBD.html

Will keep digging around.

I have got my hands on a copy of the ASD 2.5.8 / makes no difference I still can't boot correctly.. I ordered a set of cpu's off ebay that were taken off a working G5 so we will see what happens when they get here this week. I am thinking they are the problem..

zpaitsel
Feb 27, 2012, 08:55 AM
Ok, problem FIXED~!!!!!!!

It was definitely the dual cpu's... I fitted dual 2.3 GHZ into the machine.. it booted up to the alt boot and installed the 10.4 tiger directly from the GREY osx install disc!! I was absolutely pumped up!!

It was definitely a hardware problem, I just wanted to thank everyone here for helping me as all of your input lead to me figuring out the problem.

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE!! I am checking out the MAC now and to be honest I'm liking what I'm seeing.. it seems pretty user friendly!!

gpzjock
Feb 27, 2012, 10:36 AM
Glad you made it eventually, enjoy your Power Mac. :)

So the 2.5 GHz CPUs were either faulty or just the wrong clockspeed?

minifridge1138
Feb 27, 2012, 11:46 AM
Congratulations.

I'm glad you finally got that worked out.
I hope the new CPUs didn't set you back too much.

Good Luck!!!

zpaitsel
Feb 27, 2012, 12:46 PM
Glad you made it eventually, enjoy your Power Mac. :)

So the 2.5 GHz CPUs were either faulty or just the wrong clockspeed?

I believe they were simply faulty... when I pulled the cpu's off the heatsink underneath i found some corrosion that I couldn't see when it was together, it seemed that the liquid cooled heatsink assembly had a small leak IDK if it caused them to become damaged(very good chance).

I bought the set of 2.3 on eBay for 39.99 so i guess It really wasn't that bad off... one down.. I have two more cases here and I think this time I may buy a known working CPU and logic-board combo for each and maybe sell those two as I have no use for all three. I seen some of the combo's going for about 125.00, hey worse comes to worse .. I will have some great XMAS gifts to give the family ;)

I would just hate to see them go to waste.

zpaitsel
Mar 4, 2012, 10:32 AM
I have got my hands on a copy of the ASD 2.5.8 / makes no difference I still can't boot correctly.. I ordered a set of cpu's off ebay that were taken off a working G5 so we will see what happens when they get here this week. I am thinking they are the problem..

ok, maybe you can offer up some help here... i have gotten a copy of asd 2.5.8 / and 2.5.7 and ran the thermal calibration on both versions and keep getting a fan speed error and can't get this thing to complete the calibration...

is there a workaround for this?? The red light goes out when i replace the door and i have removed and replaced the door a few times and still nothing works.

any ideas??

drnebulous
Aug 11, 2014, 06:21 AM
Would placing a neodymium magnet on the hard drive sort it? Don't try it though as I'm not sure!