PDA

View Full Version : Apple Reportedly Planning Orders for 65-70 Million iPad 3 Displays in 2012

MacRumors
Feb 14, 2012, 09:46 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/14/apple-reportedly-planning-orders-for-65-70-million-ipad-3-displays-in-2012/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/02/sharp_ipad_3_panel.jpg

Electronista reports (http://www.electronista.com/articles/12/02/13/ipad.3.run.estimated.60pc.higher.than.in.20111/) on a new article (http://news.chinatimes.com/tech/12050901/122012021400136.html) [Google translation (http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http://news.chinatimes.com/tech/12050901/122012021400136.html&hl=en&langpair=auto%7Cen)] from Taiwan's Commercial Times claiming that Apple is planning for production of 65-70 million iPad 3 displays (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/09/high-resolution-sharp-display-reportedly-for-ipad-3-surfaces/) in 2012, paving the way for a significant boost to Apple's tablet sales.Shipments for the new LCD panel, believed designed by Sharp but being manufactured by LG Display and Samsung, were said by the Commercial Times to be already booked to the order of 65 million to 75 [70] million units for the year. Versus production of about 40.5 million in 2011, it would represent 60 to 73 percent higher shipments than last year.That 65-70 million number includes only iPad 3 displays, and with Apple having nearly one quarter's worth of iPad 2 sales ahead of the iPad 3 introduction and the company being rumored to continue offering the iPad 2 as a lower-cost option following the iPad 3's introduction, Apple's total iPad sales projections for the year appear to b even higher.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Planning Orders for 65-70 Million iPad 3 Displays in 2012 (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/14/apple-reportedly-planning-orders-for-65-70-million-ipad-3-displays-in-2012/)

the8thark
Feb 14, 2012, 09:56 AM
This sounds plausible. And since Apple usually sells every iPad they can make well initially anyways this might be a good estimation of the iPad 3 early sales figures.

We just need to wait for Apple- to tell us when they will be releasing the iPad 3.

Mad-B-One
Feb 14, 2012, 10:00 AM
Not bad at all considering that by that time one fifth of the year is already over. I think and hope that you will continue to get the most for the buck at Apple when shopping tablets. Hopefully, the price range will stay the same - capping at $830 for the top-of-the-line.

jasonxneo
Feb 14, 2012, 10:07 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

The only downfall of the ipad3 is how thicker, slower and less compelling it is to the iPad 4 :)

andreiru
Feb 14, 2012, 10:09 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Well, Apple will have at least one more iPad user this time around - me. Can't stand the stalls of my iTouch 4 no more.

toddybody
Feb 14, 2012, 10:09 AM
Make hay while the sun shines :D

Nielsenius
Feb 14, 2012, 10:43 AM
Wow, just wow! It's amazing how popular these things have become. I remember when I bought the first iPad and people told me how stupid and pointless it was. I guess they were wrong!

charlituna
Feb 14, 2012, 10:55 AM
If that's supposed to be world wide numbers then it sounds about right that they would plan for that much. Rather than under plan and be over a barrel when they need more than what they contracted a price on. Because then the display suppliers have the power. And that is not Apple's way of playing that game

----------

Not bad at all considering that by that time one fifth of the year is already over.

Yes but consider the recent education initiatives and the notion that US schools might be looking at getting iPads for their students. We don't know for fact that the iPad 2 in any form will stick around so it could be iPad 3's for all. And that could raise numbers up a bit for the summer sales.

*LTD*
Feb 14, 2012, 11:18 AM
This will be a huge year for the iPad. The sales we've been seeing for the last few quarters is nothing compared to what's about come.

toddybody
Feb 14, 2012, 11:41 AM
This will be a huge year for the iPad. The sales we've been seeing for the last few quarters is nothing compared to what's about come.

I guess well see. Emerging markets are going to have to be a major contributor...cause the iPad 2 sold SO well, and many folks simply cant make the upgrade. Hope youre having a great day sir.

carmenodie
Feb 14, 2012, 11:41 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I already have the money for my iPad 3. I opt not getting the iPad 2 b/c I didn't like the design of the back. Yeah, hated it.
But Apple better bring it hardcore with this new iPad.

JGowan
Feb 14, 2012, 12:08 PM
I already have the money for my iPad 3. I opt not getting the iPad 2 b/c I didn't like the design of the back. Yeah, hated it.

But Apple better bring it hardcore with this new iPad.What if iPad 3's back is very similar to iPad 2's? Because I don't think it'll be that different. The following photo is not a definite and it doesn't show the back but it looks like it'll very flat like iP2 and not scooped like iP1...

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/02/ipad_2_ipad_3_shell_dock.jpg

I'll say this: I, too, was not pleased with the back of iPad 2 compared to the first iPad, but that changed after I owned it for awhile. Definitely more comfortable to hold reliably, The scoop could almost cause you to drop it. Holding the iPad 2 is a lot more secure feeling -- and you don't have to open your hands up quite as much so it's more comfortable over a long period (late night reading).

@nagromme -- correct about the Weeble statement -- I like the new back better!

nagromme
Feb 14, 2012, 12:57 PM
That’s up to 661 trillion subpixels!

I'll say this: I, too, was not pleased with the back of iPad 2 compared to the first iPad, but that changed after I owned it for awhile. Definitely more comfortable to hold reliably, The scoop could almost cause you to drop it. Holding the iPad 2 is a lot more secure feeling -- and you don't have to open your hands up quite as much so it's more comfortable over a long period (late night reading).

Also, the iPad 1 was wobbly like a Weeble! The new ones can rest flat on a table—much better. Tablets should always have a perfect flat back. (At least both models are metal, unlike some plastic tablets I could name...)

JHankwitz
Feb 14, 2012, 01:50 PM
The only downfall of the ipad3 is how thicker, slower and less compelling it is to the iPad 4 :)

Say what? You have an iPad 3 and an iPad 4? How can you make these statements unless you have them and verified? Psychic or psycho?

Navdakilla
Feb 14, 2012, 01:53 PM
wow.. so this release is going to be nuts too then? (based on how much apple is predicting they will sell, and obviously not having all the stock at launch like they always do?)

crazy

JHankwitz
Feb 14, 2012, 02:01 PM
I guess well see. Emerging markets are going to have to be a major contributor...cause the iPad 2 sold SO well, and many folks simply cant make the upgrade. Hope youre having a great day sir.

I purchased an iPad 2 last fall. If iPad 3 has retina display, I'll buy another. If it has Siri, I'll give away the iPad 2 and replace it with a second iPad 3.

My only concern is that Apple is eventually going to be charged with Monopoly because no one else will be able to successfully compete with their advanced technology. The only advantage they will have is the ability to sell on price and make very little if any profit. (Or you can carry around three competetors products for the same price and still not have all the benefits one iPad provides)

Glideslope
Feb 14, 2012, 03:29 PM

Oh yea. Not just the Pad in 2012. Sit back and get ready.......;)

PixelsAbuser
Feb 14, 2012, 07:04 PM
I think apple is targeting corporate this time in it's estimates.
70million is a lot just for one year of sales. They have some cool deals laying ready if you ask me.

mrxak
Feb 14, 2012, 10:54 PM
This is going to be incredible. Remember how nuts the 4S was? This is going to be bigger.

I feel bad for the FedEx and UPS guys, though, they're going to have a very long release day going to all those houses. One of them may very well be coming to mine. I'm not 100% sure I'll buy one this time around, but if enough things fall into place, it'll be time for me to take the plunge and buy my first iPad.

SandynJosh
Feb 15, 2012, 01:18 AM
This is going to be incredible. Remember how nuts the 4S was? This is going to be bigger.

I feel bad for the FedEx and UPS guys, though, they're going to have a very long release day going to all those houses. One of them may very well be coming to mine. I'm not 100% sure I'll buy one this time around, but if enough things fall into place, it'll be time for me to take the plunge and buy my first iPad.

Haven't you been watching the news? They drop kick them to your house from the curb now.

SandynJosh
Feb 15, 2012, 01:30 AM
wow.. so this release is going to be nuts too then? (based on how much apple is predicting they will sell, and obviously not having all the stock at launch like they always do?)

If they continue to sell the iPad2 and discount it, that will reduce some of the pressure on the iPad3 supply. Furthermore, we are just entering the school purchasing season and they may be more likely to buy iPad2 if they remain available.

This will be a feeding frenzy the likes of which we haven't seen since the fat lady fell into the Piranha pool.

mdriftmeyer
Feb 15, 2012, 02:15 AM

I skipped the iPad 2. I'm buying the iPad 3 so I can target develop for the iPad and iPad 3 knowing I'll be able to pick up the iPad 2 in the specs.

I know dozens of friends who skipped the iPad 2 and are buying the iPad 3.

It will also be the first one I will make sure my Mom has one.

Of a few dozen members of the family, I'm one of two with an iPad. Several have Macs and iPhones, but not iPads.

This release will change that.

Scarpad
Feb 15, 2012, 06:40 AM
Not bad at all considering that by that time one fifth of the year is already over. I think and hope that you will continue to get the most for the buck at Apple when shopping tablets. Hopefully, the price range will stay the same - capping at $830 for the top-of-the-line.

Well that's the question isn't it, as cheaper tablets become available that approach or equal what an Ipad can do, will people still flock to the Ipad, they probably will because by that time they will be entrnched in the Apple Echosystem.

MacScott
Feb 15, 2012, 06:59 AM
I was one of those that did not see the purpose of the iPad. So I have not gotten one at all yet. But I have just about talked myself into getting the iPad 3 when it comes out.

Mad-B-One
Feb 15, 2012, 08:43 AM
Well that's the question isn't it, as cheaper tablets become available that approach or equal what an Ipad can do, will people still flock to the Ipad, they probably will because by that time they will be entrnched in the Apple Echosystem.

Yea, the ecosystem with all the purchased apps is one thing. Another is that there has yet to come an OS running as smoothly as iOS without using up the battery in a jiffy. Same with cell phones: My wife had an andriod for 3 months. Boy, that thing looked spiffy! Animated background, weather and clock on the combined home and background screen - basicly just eye candy. Not switching off these features made the battery go down within 8h max if she or my son used one or the other app (on WiFi) even though there were not many calls made. In other words, if you use it as a "phone," you cannot even make it through a workday. The second month, freezes started where she had to restart the phone. The Android App Store is not as user friendly as the AppStore. I could go on and on. My wife has now the "new" iPhone 4 (the one with 8GB after 4S launch) and has yet to miss a feature or find something which is not satisfying on her current device - set aside that she automatically got tons of apps from our iTunes account instantly.

Navdakilla
Feb 15, 2012, 11:26 AM
Yea, the ecosystem with all the purchased apps is one thing. Another is that there has yet to come an OS running as smoothly as iOS without using up the battery in a jiffy. Same with cell phones: My wife had an andriod for 3 months. Boy, that thing looked spiffy! Animated background, weather and clock on the combined home and background screen - basicly just eye candy. Not switching off these features made the battery go down within 8h max if she or my son used one or the other app (on WiFi) even though there were not many calls made. In other words, if you use it as a "phone," you cannot even make it through a workday. The second month, freezes started where she had to restart the phone. The Android App Store is not as user friendly as the AppStore. I could go on and on. My wife has now the "new" iPhone 4 (the one with 8GB after 4S launch) and has yet to miss a feature or find something which is not satisfying on her current device - set aside that she automatically got tons of apps from our iTunes account instantly.

Exact same thing with me and my significant other. Bought us both galaxy's (the first ones), absolutely hated it.. Always dying in the middle of the day, always having to worry about charging, buggy apps, slow everything. Switched us both to the iPhone and never looked back, both of us love it. (ended up getting the whole apple ecosystem too, and love that too)

CplBadboy
Feb 15, 2012, 11:52 AM
Mind boggling numbers!

Always makes me wonder how much raw material is needed for these things. Crazy crazy production rate too. Would love to see just how big those Foxconn factories are!:D

Lesser Evets
Feb 15, 2012, 06:37 PM
It's a conservative estimate, I believe.

Knowing the potential of the iPad and the potential of what the iPad3 will bring, this version might be the blow-out product if price remains the same. For 90% of the market, the iPad will be enough to be a sole computer/home computer. The third version of Apple products tends to be the leap into "oh crap this is awesome" instead of "oh crap this is cool". I've been waiting for this iPad.

In the back of my mind is the hope that the iPad3 will also be able to function as an Apple TV, but with 1080. That would boost sales, being a TV gathering device when around the world during the day, becoming a TV displaying device at night when hooked up to a TV.

thewitt
Feb 15, 2012, 10:19 PM
Since they sold 15m units in Q4, this is a pretty safe prediction for 2013, though it's likely to fall short of demand.

kyjaotkb
Feb 17, 2012, 04:56 PM
If Apple secures 70M units, competitors will have a hard time trying to get hi-res panels for their tablets...

latest70
Feb 20, 2012, 04:52 PM
im a bit worried about my iPad 2 case not fitting a new iPad 3

i wonder if they will be the same size?

hope so, i bought my iPad 2 case from iCasestore (http://www.icasestore.com.au)and they dont appear to any iPad 2 cases left so im not sure what this means

SBlue1
Feb 22, 2012, 09:29 AM
i cant wait anymore... :)