Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbluhp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
is this product worth the money if no is there something smiler to this that offers security for my mac? I'm not looking for virius scanner I wanted something that helps protect my security.

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
is this product worth the money if no is there something smiler to this that offers security for my mac? I'm not looking for virius scanner I wanted something that helps protect my security.

You don't need anything. OSx gives you great security with a solid built in firewall.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You don't need any 3rd party antivirus app to keep your Mac malware-free. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 10 years ago. You cannot infect your Mac simply by visiting a website, unzipping a file, opening an email attachment or joining a network. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which cannot infect your Mac unless you actively install them, and they can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.

1. Make sure your built-in Mac firewall is enabled in System Preferences > Security > Firewall
  2. Uncheck "Enable Java" in Safari > Preferences > Security.
  3. Uncheck "Open "safe" files after downloading" in Safari > Preferences > General
  4. Be careful to only install software from trusted, reputable sites. Never install pirated software. If you're not sure about an app, ask in this forum before installing.
  5. Never let someone else have physical access to install anything on your Mac.
That's all you need to do to keep your Mac completely free of any virus, trojan, spyware, keylogger, or other malware. You don't need any 3rd party software to keep your Mac secure.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
No, totally not worth it at all. Just be a wise user and don't visit or click on anything you're not sure of.

Be sure to read up on what GGJstudios posted. You'll be fine.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Norton has absolutely awful mac products.

Plus why in the world would you want to give money to a security company that was hacked 6 years ago, didn't know it, and now is dealing with the prospect that their source code being stolen by Anonymous

Ars Article

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Norton has absolutely awful mac products.
That's true, and it's no wonder! The original Norton doesn't exactly inspire confidence! :D

ed-norton-honeymooners_1.png
By the way, maflynn, your new avatar looks great!

anupash

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2012
Aachen, Germany
If u are crazy about security and malware go for free alternatives like ClamAv or Sophos. Norton isn't a good alternative even for Windows. Don't pay money something might not be so effective and make ur computer slow.

On the other note if you are on Windows Microsoft Security essential and common sense can prevent you from all malwares and viruses.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
By the way, maflynn, your new avatar looks great!

Thanks, I can't lay claim to making it, just made it fit the size of an avatar. I grabbed it from one of the phone wallpapers I came across here or somewhere, not sure, it was on my computer and I decided to use it :D

As for Norton on windows, it is better then some of the other competing apps, but to be honest I use the free version of AVG on windows. The problem is you need something for windows, you don't need anything for the Mac

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks, I can't lay claim to making it, just made it fit the size of an avatar. I grabbed it from one of the phone wallpapers I came across here or somewhere, not sure, it was on my computer and I decided to use it :D
I thought I recognized it from a wallpaper, but it looks great as an avatar!
As for Norton on windows, it is better then some of the other competing apps, but to be honest I use the free version of AVG on windows. The problem is you need something for windows, you don't need anything for the Mac
I've used and recommended AVG on Windows for years and never had a single threat get through. When I first switched from Norton to AVG, it felt like I had a new computer, as AVG used far less system resources than Norton had.

I sure don't miss Windows! :apple:

s.m.knipe

macrumors newbie
If u are crazy about security and malware go for free alternatives like ClamAv or Sophos. Norton isn't a good alternative even for Windows. Don't pay money something might not be so effective and make ur computer slow.

As said above, steer clear of Sophos and Norton, etc. Just follow the advice here and use ClamAV ("ClamXAv" has a nice GUI). I scan with ClamAV once every two weeks or so, and mainly just to protect the Windows computers on my network...

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
As said above, steer clear of Sophos and Norton, etc. Just follow the advice here and use ClamAV ("ClamXAv" has a nice GUI). I scan with ClamAV once every two weeks or so, and mainly just to protect the Windows computers on my network...
ClamXav is the only app I'd recommend, if someone insists on running AV. However, if the Windows PCs on your network have their own antivirus running (as they should) then even ClamXav isn't necessary. I encourage you to read: What about sending files to Windows users? from the: Mac Virus/Malware FAQ

You can still use it if you like, but it's not needed. Also, ClamXav has a Sentry feature which, if enabled, will use significant system resources to constantly scan. Disable the Sentry feature. You don't need it. (If you're familiar with it, you may have already done this, but others may not know about this.)

s.m.knipe

macrumors newbie
ClamXav is the only app I'd recommend. However, if the Windows PCs on your network have their own antivirus running (as they should) then even ClamXav isn't necessary. I encourage you to read: What about sending files to Windows users? from the: Mac Virus/Malware FAQ

You can still use it if you like, but it's not needed. Also, ClamXav has a Sentry feature which, if enabled, will use significant system resources to constantly scan. Disable the Sentry feature. You don't need it. (If you're familiar with it, you may have already done this, but others may not know about this.)

Agreed, I am not a fan of Sentry. The windows boxes are roommates', so no guarantees on their configuration- it's more of a nicety and covering myself (they are not really very computer savvy, and would probably quickly blame my "different" OS's sadly) than concern.

Thanks for the link to that guide though, just sent it to my sister who just got a MBPro.

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
As already mentioned a bit of common sense and downloading only from legitimate sources and you will be fine.

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011

Make sure to NOT open a naked_girl.dmg file if you download it :D

----------

ClamXav is the only app I'd recommend, if someone insists on running AV. However, if the Windows PCs on your network have their own antivirus running (as they should) then even ClamXav isn't necessary. I encourage you to read: What about sending files to Windows users? from the: Mac Virus/Malware FAQ

You can also get FREE antimalware/spyware/virus/trojan protection (for windows). It's called Microsoft Security Essentials.

ljonesj

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Kingsport TN
lol i would not run anything microsoft made for anti virus or malware i remember years ago on xp when bit defender of theirs came out it deleted ie it thought it was malware

anupash

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2012
Aachen, Germany
lol i would not run anything microsoft made for anti virus or malware i remember years ago on xp when bit defender of theirs came out it deleted ie it thought it was malware

Gone are the days of Windows XP. Windows 7 is way better in every sense that u can think of. And I have been using security essential since 2 years works without any issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.