PDA

View Full Version : wont this create more switchers?

jer446
Jun 14, 2005, 04:07 PM
I have not been up to date on the intel switch, but if windows software will be capable of running on a mac, wont it create more switchers because they cannot give the argument that no software works, because everything will work? Now people can game, and have a great os to work on. and beautiful hardware.

yellow
Jun 14, 2005, 04:19 PM
I have not been up to date on the intel switch, but if windows software will be capable of running on a mac

Being up to date might have answered your question for you. There's no evidence that Windows software will run on a new MacIntel. It'll still have OS X. A Windows .exe still won't open in OS X. The true question is whether a MacIntel will support dual-booting Windows/OS X, and or something wine-like. Only time will tell.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jun 14, 2005, 04:27 PM
Wine will probably be one of the first things ported from Linux to the Mactels. This will probably eliminate the need for Virtual PC and run (non-graphic intensive) Windows programs at near native speeds. This is one of the best side effects of the PPC->x86 switch.

But if this will actually make more people switch is purely speculative. I think that some borderline switchers might get off the fence, but how many this is I have now way of knowing...

MisterMe
Jun 14, 2005, 05:53 PM
.... There's no evidence that Windows software will run on a new MacIntel. It'll still have OS X. ...Actually, there is. Apple Vice-President Phil Schiller explicitly stated that Windows will run on the Mactels, but that Apple will not support it. However, this fixation with running Windows on an Apple manufactured computer so misses the point. This is about running MacOS X applications on new Apple hardware based on Intel processors. The success or failure of Apple's transition will be determined by how good its new computers are as Macintoshes not how good they are as Windows computers. Everything else is an extra added benefit.

Xtremehkr
Jun 14, 2005, 06:13 PM
Even if I could run Windows on an Apple I wouldn't. Windows is the reason I use as Apple.

yellow
Jun 14, 2005, 06:36 PM
To me it was more impiled that there was a possibility that Windows could run on a MacIntel. Assuming that Windows wanted to create drivers to deal with Apple-branded hardware. I didn't get the impression that it was implicitly stated that Windows WILL run on a MacIntel. IMO, it's still to early to tell what will happen and banking on rumors can be costly.

I'm still unsure if OS X will be on NTFS or HFS+ in the future..

Sun Baked
Jun 14, 2005, 06:43 PM
I'm still unsure if OS X will be on NTFS or HFS+ in the future..That was the main question that led to the whole big BIOS thread, and Apple basically said we cannot tell you right now -- about the BIOS or the file system.

Of course HFS+ is getting old and due for an update or extension...

yellow
Jun 14, 2005, 06:45 PM
about the BIOS or the file system.

Yup, that too.. I sincerely hope it's not BIOS and not NTFS.

HELLFISH
Jun 14, 2005, 07:18 PM
The Commodore128 could run in Commodore64 mode. As a result, there was never any Commodore128 software. Apple needs to be very, very cautious with the Intel switch.

NickFalk
Jun 15, 2005, 02:18 AM
The Commodore128 could run in Commodore64 mode. As a result, there was never any Commodore128 software. Apple needs to be very, very cautious with the Intel switch.
Well the main difference is that Apple OSX is already a well estabilshed platform. C-128 came fresh out of the starting block carrying backwards compatibility with the biggest selling home-computer of all time.

Most of the technology as well as the [virtually non existing] interface was identical as well and there were very few advantages to be had by coding a C-128 specific program.

As mac users in general use the platform for what they find to be a superior user experience it stands to reason that a Windows-program will always be second choice where a native OSX-app exists...

cube
Jun 15, 2005, 02:46 AM
- Very probably VMware will make a version of their virtualization software for OSX86.
- OSX86 will still use Mac filesystems for sure, it will just use standard PC partitioning.
- It will surely use EFI, not BIOS, so you will need Longhorn if you want Windows (at least when not virtualized).