PDA

View Full Version : March Madness Comes to iPad and iPhone March 7 for $3.99

MacRumors
Feb 16, 2012, 04:50 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/16/march-madness-comes-to-ipad-and-iphone-march-7-for-3-99/)

As it has in previous years (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/03/13/ncaa-march-madness-coming-live-to-iphone/), the NCAA division I men's basketball tournament -- also known as March Madness -- will be streamed both online and to iPhones and iPads. Unlike previous years, iPad and iPhone users will need to pay a $3.99 to watch the Big Dance. CBS and Turner are sharing the NCAA broadcast duties across four television stations. Here's how it breaks down (http://allthingsd.com/20120216/more-free-web-tv-disappears-some-march-madness-games-will-go-behind-paywall/):

Mac users will be able to watch all the CBS-broadcast games for free on CBSSports.com. Games aired on TBS, TNT and TruTV will be available to authenticated watchers of certain pay-tv providers.

For iPad and iPhone viewers, everyone will be required to pay a $3.99 fee to watch the entire tournament. That fee covers all devices, so no mucking about with authentication to watch tournament games on the Mac. Once the fee is paid, all 67 games will be streamable on iOS via Wi-Fi or 3G.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/02/marchmadness.jpg

NCAA(r) March Madness(r) Live will offer higher quality live video streams across platforms; video highlights for every game of the Tournament on the iPhone and Android phones; live game alerts for Android phones, as well as iPhones and iPads; an updated design; and live radio broadcast courtesy of Westwood One/Dial Global Radio Network, for all 67 games across the suite of digital products. In addition to the new offerings, NCAA(r) March Madness(r) Live will again provide the same fan-favorite features from last year including: schedules and live game scoring, live tournament brackets, personal channel lineup features, live stats, and live social companion views.The NCAA March Madness apps for iPhone and iPad will go live on March 7, in time for the tournament to begin on March 13. Sign up on the NCAA's March Madness website to be notified (http://www.ncaa.com/march-madness) when the apps go live.

Article Link: March Madness Comes to iPad and iPhone March 7 for $3.99 (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/16/march-madness-comes-to-ipad-and-iphone-march-7-for-3-99/)

Tilpots
Feb 16, 2012, 04:52 PM
$3.99! That sucks. Not this year...

jdsipod
Feb 16, 2012, 05:00 PM

Dude you would be paying $.06 a game, how is that not a deal

Tilpots
Feb 16, 2012, 05:21 PM
Dude you would be paying $.06 a game, how is that not a deal

It's been free for the past few years. There's going to be ads all over it. The quality over 3G is so-so. It expires after one month. Zero new features worth $4.

jlgolson
Feb 16, 2012, 05:29 PM
Zero new features worth $4.
I think being able to watch the 67 games of the 2012 tournament qualifies as a "new feature", and a ton of people are going to pay it.

Reminds me of this... http://theoatmeal.com/blog/apps

Gatecitybee
Feb 16, 2012, 05:41 PM
Last year it was great on the iPad. $4 isn't very much at all for what you're getting.

nsfw
Feb 16, 2012, 06:20 PM
People not willing to pay $4 for 67 games is whats wrong with media today. You expect everything to be free or your will steal it. The funny thing is you have no problem paying $4.25 for a non-fat mocha cappuccino.
I have no issue with the $4, I just think this will be a test to eventually charge $19.95 in the coming years.

Surreal
Feb 16, 2012, 06:25 PM
Right 4 dollars is so very little if you actually like watching the games. TV shows cost a solid amount more per episode and are, in general, shorter than a basketball game and NOT LIVE.

Moyank24
Feb 16, 2012, 06:31 PM
$4 is more than worth it for me...I work nights - so I'm psyched to be able to watch them on my phone.

For those who think $4 is too much $$ - :rolleyes:

Tilpots
Feb 16, 2012, 06:56 PM
I think being able to watch the 67 games of the 2012 tournament qualifies as a "new feature", and a ton of people are going to pay it.

Reminds me of this... http://theoatmeal.com/blog/apps

Funny cartoon, but not quite the same. Last year, every game was free. The year before, every game was free. This year on the Mac, every game is free. So... Let's get a million to pay $4 bucks and make $4 million because of the device I watch it on? No thanks. If $4 bucks is worth it to you, great. Pay up. I'll just watch it for free on my computer. If mobile is your only way to see the games, aren't you pissed theyre bending you over?

How many of you subscribe to Murdoch's sites when you can get the same free, elsewhere? Right. Pay walls don't work when contents readily available for free. If youre comfortable being nicked and dimmed today, you're gonna get crushed tomorrow.

nfl46
Feb 16, 2012, 06:58 PM
This will look great on my IPAD 3! Just in time! :D

JKColo22
Feb 16, 2012, 07:16 PM
I'll just watch it for free on my computer.

It's not really free on the computer.

Games aired on TBS, TNT and TruTV will be available to authenticated watchers of certain pay-tv providers.

If mobile is your only way to see the games, aren't you pissed theyre bending you over?

No. $4 is not "bending anyone over." I pay one dollar less to watch one single episode of my favorite show on iTunes while I'm on a plane. I'll pay $4 to watch 64 games of LIVE basketball. People are willing to pay nominal fees for convenience. If your so against paying for convenience why don't you ditch your cable for rabbit ears and high speed internet for dial-up and just go watch the games at the bars instead. Give me a break.

Tilpots
Feb 16, 2012, 07:28 PM
If your so against paying for convenience why don't you ditch your cable for rabbit ears and high speed internet for dial-up and just go watch the games at the bars instead. Give me a break.

I haven't had cable for 2 years. Me and Mac Mini HTPC get along swimmingly. :)

btdpi007
Feb 16, 2012, 08:21 PM
Funny cartoon, but not quite the same. Last year, every game was free. The year before, every game was free. This year on the Mac, every game is free. So... Let's get a million to pay $4 bucks and make $4 million because of the device I watch it on? No thanks. If $4 bucks is worth it to you, great. Pay up. I'll just watch it for free on my computer. If mobile is your only way to see the games, aren't you pissed theyre bending you over?

How many of you subscribe to Murdoch's sites when you can get the same free, elsewhere? Right. Pay walls don't work when contents readily available for free. If youre comfortable being nicked and dimmed today, you're gonna get crushed tomorrow.

On your Mac the games aren't exactly free. You'll have to log-in with your cable/ satellite provider credentials. Again, not exactly free.

$4 is pretty much a steal as it is my understanding you won't have to be a subscriber to any of the cable channels airing the games. If the app has Airplay and you can watch it via Apple TV then it has become a lot more interesting... albeit pretty interesting already.

Navdakilla
Feb 16, 2012, 10:19 PM
Had it free the last couple of years and loved it.. Will pay this year, but not a fan of that

Dainin
Feb 16, 2012, 10:32 PM
Mac users will be able to watch all the CBS-broadcast games for free on CBSSports.com

This is what pisses me off. Charging me for watching it on one device vs another. Sure $4 is cheep for all the games, but they are completely free if I watch them on my PC. That makes no logical sense.

tido2012
Feb 17, 2012, 05:06 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought this was actually a great deal! Im looking forward to watching bees in the ER with the Wi-Fi at the hospital

vtstarck
Feb 17, 2012, 06:24 AM
Does it work with AirPlay?

ugahairydawgs
Feb 17, 2012, 07:44 AM
This is what pisses me off. Charging me for watching it on one device vs another. Sure $4 is cheep for all the games, but they are completely free if I watch them on my PC. That makes no logical sense.

Yeah.....because it didn't cost them any money to develop the app for iOS.

RotaryP7
Feb 17, 2012, 09:19 AM

Honestly, it should be more than $4. Everyone saying it's a rip, this deal is a bargain. Those people who cannot watch the games at home because of work or because they don't have cable now have the chance in doing so for only.. $4.

I'm speechless. Why don't some of you give thanks to the people who make these apps? I'm sure they work for a living as well.

barchief
Feb 17, 2012, 09:35 AM

It was 4.99 in '09.... couldnt find my receipt from '10, but I am almost positive that it was about 5 bucks, so this is a reduction for me!

btdpi007
Feb 17, 2012, 09:39 AM
I am astounded by the fact that people don't want to pay $4 for an app. Fifteen... um, ten.... five years ago if I was told I could get quality software (the word apps wasn't really in our lexicon before the iPhone) for $10 I would've been floored, but for $1, $2, and even $4 I am in awe. There are times when a free app fits my needs, but I'll purchase the "pro" version to support the developer.

Really, in 2006 if someone said listen I can give you access to the entire NCAA Mens BB tourney for $4, I wouldn't have even hesitated and would've turned around and mouthed "sucker".

If $4 is not in your budget or you feel it's too expensive, enjoy watching the games on CBS, TBS, etc.

millertime021
Feb 17, 2012, 10:46 AM
$4?!?! What a bunch of horse ******.

*signs up to be notified when to purchase app*

And seriously, how else can you watch March Madness everywhere?!!

Photo was last year.

darkslide29
Feb 17, 2012, 11:54 AM
Oh no, the tournament will start near the end of my billing period. If I hadn't hit 2 GB already by then, AT&T will throttle me for sure after streaming a couple of these games. :mad:

jackyk
Feb 17, 2012, 02:46 PM
so once you get this 3.99 app, is there a way to send the video signal to a cinema display or any monitor?

Dainin
Feb 17, 2012, 03:05 PM
Yeah.....because it didn't cost them any money to develop the app for iOS.

I don't need an app, let me stream it off cbssports.com like everyone else.

JMies419
Feb 17, 2012, 04:56 PM
I'd prefer free but $3.99...I'm in for one. Def worth it IMO if you are a huge college hoops fans!

Mr. Gates
Feb 17, 2012, 11:41 PM
"here is a ball perhaps you would like to bounce it"

http://deadhomersociety.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/lisas-rival3.png?w=655

:rolleyes: - Yup

JTravers
Feb 18, 2012, 12:53 AM
Some people are just complainers. $4 is a bargain. And for the $4 you can watch it on the iPad, iPhone, and Android. No double dipping! Yes, it was free last year. So what? Just be happy they gave you a great deal last year. That doesn't mean $4 this year is "bending you over."

Tilpots
Feb 18, 2012, 06:40 AM
For those of you who don't mind paying, I'm curious, how much is too much? At $9.99 would you still consider it a steal? $15.99? Where do you draw the line? Ape fans have proven time and time again they're willing to pay a premium, so when all of you buy in this year, where do you think they'll raise it to next year?

btdpi007
Feb 18, 2012, 09:09 AM
For those of you who don't mind paying, I'm curious, how much is too much? At $9.99 would you still consider it a steal? $15.99? Where do you draw the line? Ape fans have proven time and time again they're willing to pay a premium, so when all of you buy in this year, where do you think they'll raise it to next year?

I'd probably pay $9.99 for the app, if it has Airplay I'd be willing to pay $14.99. The thing is at $10, $15, or $20 it is no longer an impulse buy for me, and I'll think about if I really, really "need" it. At $5, it is an impulse buy and whether I watch games all weekend long on it or two games the entire tourney I feel like I got my monies worth.

Tilpots
Feb 18, 2012, 10:03 AM
I'd probably pay $9.99 for the app, if it has Airplay I'd be willing to pay $14.99. The thing is at $10, $15, or $20 it is no longer an impulse buy for me, and I'll think about if I really, really "need" it. At $5, it is an impulse buy and whether I watch games all weekend long on it or two games the entire tourney I feel like I got my monies worth.

AirPlay support would certainly influence my decision. That's a very good point, it's also a feature absent from last years version.

I guess part of me feels hesitant about CBS, too. I remember watching several games last year that froze up or switched to "Audio Only" at crucial moments in a game. No big deal, cause it was free but if I'd paid for it? I'd have been soooo ticked. Anybody who plays Fantasy Football with CBS knows how crappy their app was for that this season. It was virtually unusable.

DataChomp
Feb 19, 2012, 09:29 AM
I would be really impressed if this was for AppleTV rather than my phone.

SirithX
Feb 20, 2012, 01:49 PM
People not willing to pay $4 for 67 games is whats wrong with media today. You expect everything to be free or your will steal it. The funny thing is you have no problem paying $4.25 for a non-fat mocha cappuccino.
I have no issue with the $4, I just think this will be a test to eventually charge $19.95 in the coming years.

I definitely agree, although I'm curious to know their exact reasoning for discriminating iOS users. The obvious answer is because they're mobile devices, but what's to prevent me from taking my Macbook Air instead of my iPad to a place with wi-fi to watch the game? I just don't see the consistency. They should make people streaming it on their computers pay the $4 too, but I guess the potential for less revenue through advertising due to less viewers is too much for them to handle.

sociapple
Feb 20, 2012, 07:37 PM
“Sometimes when you innovate, you make mistakes.” “It is better to admit them quickly, and keep on betting for your other innovations.” by Steve Jobs – Apple Social Network (http://sociapple.com)

SKTHEPREZ
Feb 21, 2012, 12:08 PM

One of the best quotes on Macrumors recently. Cheers to you sir. Bunch of theifs on the internet. Smh

----------

"here is a ball perhaps you would like to bounce it"

Image (http://deadhomersociety.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/lisas-rival3.png?w=655)

:rolleyes: - Yup

Funny. Donk. Haha

damir00
Feb 23, 2012, 11:48 PM
I would be really impressed if this was for AppleTV rather than my phone.

Or at least AirPlay.

Aussieiphone
Feb 25, 2012, 10:28 PM
Paying for ads? That went out with my cable subscription two years ago...(don't worry macrumors.com I sometimes give yours a click ;) - but I choose)

It's not like college kids are paid to play anyway:confused:

Tilpots
Mar 11, 2012, 05:55 PM
Yeah, so... Brackets are out and this app is telling me to check in on Selection Sunday to make my picks. It's already at 2 1/2 stars. No way. $4 bucks for crap is stupid. Send these guys a message, DO NOT BUY!!!