Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WeegieMac

Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Only in Developer Preview 1, but it's solid ... and for me, most importantly, OS X has got it's fluidity back. Launchpad FINALLY opens smoothly and quickly on my iMac and going to/from Full Screen is no longer a slideshow.

Thank you Apple!

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
I agree, I feel the performance is faster compared to Lion and the animations are much more fluid..

gumblecosby

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
Yeah I'm surprised. On a old macbook booted from usb it feels smoother and faster than 10.7.3 on the internal. Impressive for a beta

MountnLionGirl

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2012
not a developer

But I CAN'T WAIT! Even going to get Apple TV just so I have the AirPlay function! Yay. :eek:

joshuaginter

macrumors regular
May 19, 2011
Canada
Add another vote to the "Installed on external and it seems faster" poll. I don't see a whole bunch of differences between the two OS's and the only reason I am staying with Lion on the main HDD and ML on the external is because I am afraid of the lack of third party support for Mountain Lion at this point. Is this a legitimate fear?

Other than that, I am tempted to make it my main OS. Sure seems smooth for the first preview.

50voltphantom

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2011
Only in Developer Preview 1, but it's solid ... and for me, most importantly, OS X has got it's fluidity back. Launchpad FINALLY opens smoothly and quickly on my iMac and going to/from Full Screen is no longer a slideshow.

Thank you Apple!

I have your exact same mac specs and experienced the same isssues in Lion. Excited to hear this!

WeegieMac

Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Add another vote to the "Installed on external and it seems faster" poll. I don't see a whole bunch of differences between the two OS's and the only reason I am staying with Lion on the main HDD and ML on the external is because I am afraid of the lack of third party support for Mountain Lion at this point. Is this a legitimate fear?

Other than that, I am tempted to make it my main OS. Sure seems smooth for the first preview.

I'm in the process of creating a bootable install drive partition with the ESD and backing up all my required files to prep my Mac for a clean install of Mountain Lion. It's better, performance wise, than Lion and it's only DP1 ... unreal.

----------

I have your exact same mac specs and experienced the same isssues in Lion. Excited to hear this!

The animations were my main gripe with Lion, it just removed from the whole experience of using the OS when you had to open/close Launchpad a few times to "get it going" so the animations were acceptable.

WeegieMac

Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Just ran Software Update after reinstalling iLife 11 and Aperture from disc, and it now opens the Mac App Store and updates via there.

screenshot20120218at110.png

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm generally happy with it, though I have not gotten VMware running yet and that for me is a huge issue. I backed up my Lion install to an external disk, so I have a work around.

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
Wow, an OS that [in developer preview] runs BETTER than 10.7.3. What can I say. Oh.... Good job Apple :D

Nielsenius

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2011
Virginia
Yeah, I'm pretty happy with Mountain Lion. It's got some neat features and it runs well (for a dev preview). I'd like to warn people about something, though:

It appears that Mountain Lion installed new firmware onto the logic board (that whole EFI boot thing). It was impossible (or nearly so) for me to downgrade to Lion, even after wiping the internal drive and installing from a DVD. So, be careful.

50voltphantom

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2011
The animations were my main gripe with Lion, it just removed from the whole experience of using the OS when you had to open/close Launchpad a few times to "get it going" so the animations were acceptable.

I totally agree.

EEXOOO

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2009
Can anyone with a MBP 15 6490M connected to a 1440p display share if the Mission Control still lags?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.