Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Celelorien

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2012
Alright. Last night, I shut my computer down as usual. Today, when I tried to boot it up, it went to the grey screen with the Apple logo and the spinning gear. After a minute or so, it went black and (I suppose) tried to boot again, because it replayed the startup noise and went back to the Apple and spinning gear.

I reset the NVRAM, which didn't help. (I know it reset because the speakers came back louder, ahaa...)

When I tried to boot after that, it would do the grey screen for a moment, then shut off completely. Attempting to boot into Safe Mode resulted in same - grey logo screen + gear for a minute, then total shut down.

Next, I booted from my Leopard install disk to try to run Disk Utility. At first it wouldn't let me click Repair Disk - only Verify Disk. When I tried to run Verify Disk it would cut out with an error for "Invalid node structure".

I fiddled around for a bit while still booted from the install disk, just trying to gather additional information, and quite unexpectedly the Repair Disk button showed as available in the Disk Utility after a while. So I tried clicking that, and it made a valiant attempt, but then errored out again - this time with "Invalid Volume File Count" error.

So I shut it down and booted from the root disk into single-user mode. When I tried to run a fsck, here is what it displays:
** Root file system
** Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
** Checking Extents Overflow file.
** Checking Catalog file.
disk0s2: I/O error.
disk0s2: I/O error.
Invalid node structure
(4, 9287)
** Volume check failed.
/dev/rdisk0s2 (hfs) EXITED WITH SIGNAL 8

What does this mean, and is there any hope at all of fixing my computer without completely destroying all my files? I've heard good things about DiskWarrior, but it's $100 and if there's any other way to save it or force it to fix itself, I would love to know! Any advice at all would be appreciated.

Running on OS X 10.5.8 Leopard at the time. (I'm pretty sure it was 10.5.8 - I know it was 10.5.somethiiiing...)

Celelorien

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2012
:( Sorrow! Any chance I might be able to slave it to another Mac to attempt file recovery? Or is it probably extra-crispy toast? o__o;;

tug

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2010
loughborough. u.k.
it sounds like its definitely dead :eek:

good news, new HDD's are really quite reasonably priced right now :)

why not use this time to see if you would benefit from more ram.

you could turn this round to your benefit, and end up with a better machine than you had before. :)

shame about your files though, if you decide to spend some money, you could look into a new ext HDD too.

best of luck with it though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.