PDA

View Full Version : Side by Side Photos of iPad 2 and iPad 3 Casing Shows Gradual Taper and Slightly More Thickness

MacRumors
Feb 20, 2012, 08:58 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/20/side-by-side-photos-of-ipad-2-and-ipad-3-back-casing/)

MICGadget (http://micgadget.com/22234/the-ipad-3-rumor-roundup/) posts a roundup of circulating iPad 3 rumors, and also includes a few better side-by-side shots of what is believed to be the new iPad 3 back enclosure and the iPad 2 one.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/02/taper.jpg

Seen on top of each other, the iPad 3 does appear to have a more gradual taper to the edges than the iPad 2. The difference in size, however, is said to be minimal but seems exaggerated in this shot above due to the staggered positioning (http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/02/6905639329_02f36383c1_z.jpg) of the casings. The next shot shows that the difference in thickness is only 1-1.5mm, with the iPad 3 enclosure being slightly thicker than the iPad 2.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/02/thick.jpg

MICGadget also confirms that the iPad 3 camera lens hole is "noticeably larger", suggesting that there has been some improvement in the camera quality, though they seem to question whether or not it will make it all the way to 8 Megapixels as claimed (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/19/ipad-3-with-more-tapered-edge-and-an-8-megapixel-back-camera/) by one publication.

These same iPad 3 enclosures have been seen in the hands of many sites now. It's not uncommon for parts and enclosures to leak out of Apple's supply chain as production of new products ramp up. The iPad 3 is believed to be in manufacturing at this time with an expected announcement date on March 7th.

Article Link: Side by Side Photos of iPad 2 and iPad 3 Casing Shows Gradual Taper and Slightly More Thickness (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/20/side-by-side-photos-of-ipad-2-and-ipad-3-back-casing/)

ImperialX
Feb 20, 2012, 08:59 PM
I don't care about whether or not it's thicker than an iPad 2. The important thing is whether it's substantially heavier.

troop231
Feb 20, 2012, 09:01 PM
I think I speak for everyone here, release the damn thing already Apple! :p or at least sell us a KIT!!

ECUpirate44
Feb 20, 2012, 09:04 PM
Much better than the pic posted the other day. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the real thing.

miamialley
Feb 20, 2012, 09:05 PM
I was worried hearing the 3 would be thicker than the 2, but if the 2nd photo is any indication, I'm okay with the casing. I don't know what to make of that first picture.

arn
Feb 20, 2012, 09:07 PM
I was worried hearing the 3 would be thicker than the 2, but if the 2nd photo is any indication, I'm okay with the casing. I don't know what to make of that first picture.

they are staggered, which makes it look weird.

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/02/6905639329_02f36383c1_z.jpg

arn

HishamAkhtar
Feb 20, 2012, 09:10 PM
How has Apple not killed off everyone involved in the theft of the casing yet? Clearly things have changed since Jobs' passed away...

MultiMediaWill
Feb 20, 2012, 09:12 PM
If thicker not buying. Nuff said

arn
Feb 20, 2012, 09:12 PM
How has Apple not killed off everyone involved in the theft of the casing yet? Clearly things have changed since Jobs' passed away...

I guess cause millions of these things are rolling off assembly lines in China. Hard to keep track of every one.

And it's not a new phenomenon.

arn

bb426
Feb 20, 2012, 09:14 PM
Thanks Arn for the better pic. You should put that on the story... looks much better.

iPad 3 = My first iPad. Can't wait two more weeks!!!!

gadget123
Oh no it's bigger. :(

dagamer34
With so many leaks, I wonder if you aren't going to be able to just assemble your own iPad 3.

newdeal
My bet is the change in taper was done to correct the one flaw that I immediately noticed while in line on launch day of the iPad 2. The smart cover doesn't stick when folded around the back. To get it to stick they needed to add a magnet to hold it open without setting off the hall effect sensor. Oh and also it will make it feel thinner in the hand even though it's thicker than the iPad 2

macse30
Feb 20, 2012, 09:15 PM
Meh. Backside does nothing for me. Full frontal please.

adamfilip
Feb 20, 2012, 09:16 PM
I don't care about whether or not it's thicker than an iPad 2. The important thing is whether it's substantially heavier.

I dont care if its substantially heavier. The important thing is whether it will play flash content :D

----------

:rolleyes:

Dhaobin
Feb 20, 2012, 09:18 PM

That's what she said!!! ZING:D

Buildbright
Feb 20, 2012, 09:19 PM
I dont care if its substantially heavier. The important thing is whether it will play flash content :D

----------

Flash? This isnt a thread from 2010. I thought we got rid of you? lol
(I am just joking)

gadget123
Feb 20, 2012, 09:21 PM
Actually looks worse than the first iPad thicker but still the curve design?

Horrible :(

adamfilip
Feb 20, 2012, 09:23 PM
Flash? This isnt a thread from 2010. I thought we got rid of you? lol
(I am just joking)

lol.. nice try.. ok fine.. who cares about flash.. what i really want is wireless tethering for my Canon SLR without jailbreaking and a CF card adapter would be great too. Live view!?

lbjsong
Feb 20, 2012, 09:23 PM
love the rumours that keep popping out everyday.
Thank You Arn.

Credit Card Pulled out and put under the monitor :D

C00rDiNaT0r
Feb 20, 2012, 09:24 PM
I wonder what made it marginally thicker, the camera (more pixels?), bigger battery (for certain new, slightly more power-hungry components), or new screen (is it thicker than the iPad2's)? Or some combination of the 3? Too many questions at once?? :confused:

kobyh15
Feb 20, 2012, 09:27 PM
I think if it is a little lighter than the iPad 2 (even just a couple grams or so) then it is a big win. I kind of like the more tapered edge even though it is a blatant ruse by Apple to keep it from "looking" thicker than the iPad 2. Clever though. I think it will fit better in the hand than the 2.

gadget123
Feb 20, 2012, 09:28 PM
I wonder what made it marginally thicker, the camera (more pixels?), bigger battery (for certain new, slightly more power-hungry components), or new screen (is it thicker than the iPad2's)? Or some combination of the 3? Too many questions at once?? :confused:

If the rumours are true then the screen made it bigger and maybe battery.

But that above picture why does the iPad 3 not have a speaker has it moved?

I'm not sure this one is real as the last leaked imagine shows an iPad 3 looking more silver. This one looks like the iPad 1 material.

troop231
Feb 20, 2012, 09:29 PM
Not sure if this helps show the radius more (sorry for crappy job):

http://i.imgur.com/7M8rP.jpg

Wayfarer
Feb 20, 2012, 09:30 PM

I disagree. Frontside does nothing for me. I'm more of a derrière man. :o

whoathere
Feb 20, 2012, 09:30 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hahaha. Well at least it's not TGAT much bigger. I want I want!

campingsk8er
Feb 20, 2012, 09:32 PM
I'm not sure this one is real as the last leaked imagine shows an iPad 3 looking more silver. This one looks like the iPad 1 material.

It may just be a different side. like the right side of the ipad 2 is touching the left side of the ipad 3.

but what i hope what happens and its what ive been saying since day 1.
a) put the speakers in the bezel so the sound is coming towards you, or
2) make the apple logo be the speaker

M87
Feb 20, 2012, 09:33 PM
The photos make it looks really strange to me, ugly even.

LaDirection
Feb 20, 2012, 09:34 PM
I still don't see what I would do with a big paperweight that can't do crap without connecting it to iTunes on a real computer.

Buildbright
Feb 20, 2012, 09:35 PM
lol.. nice try.. ok fine.. who cares about flash.. what i really want is wireless tethering for my Canon SLR without jailbreaking and a CF card adapter would be great too. Live view!?

I agree your Iphone should be your remote shutter and your ipad for live view and review.

Imagine the shoots when you have a customer watching over your shoulder. You can sit them in the corner and say here watch the ipad.. lol

M87
Feb 20, 2012, 09:37 PM
I still don't see what I would do with a big paperweight that can't do crap without connecting it to iTunes on a real computer.

You might want to check out iOS 5. I never connect my devices to iTunes on the computer anymore.

MistaBungle
Feb 20, 2012, 09:38 PM
I wish they did a smart cover comparison to see if they still worked/fit.

Mosig
Feb 20, 2012, 09:39 PM
I sure hope they add a second speaker like the one on my Galaxy. Music sounds so much better on it than my ipad. One of those small things that drive my crazy about my ipad. All the other improvements will need more space so slightly thicker is ok.

JayLenochiniMac
Feb 20, 2012, 09:39 PM
It looks fat like the iPhone 3G/3GS.

adamfilip
Feb 20, 2012, 09:45 PM
I always find it funny. when people are always wanting it Sleeker, thinner and lighter.. but when they get it, they end up covering it in a thick protective case :)

----------

I like the look of the original ipad better then the ipad2

----------

Hopefully the new 24hr battery :)

jkichline
Feb 20, 2012, 09:45 PM

Before firing off an ignorant comment like that, you may want to get the facts. In iOS 5 you can use an iPad without a computer or iTunes at all.

Thanks for paying attention.

Oracle1729
Feb 20, 2012, 09:49 PM
I hope it is thicker, the iPad 2 was just so ugly because it was overly thin. Why couldn't they make it a bit thicker and pack in some more battery? The iPad 2 was just anorexic.

Then again, I think the MBA is one of the ugliest laptops on the market (and the MBP I own is one of the prettiest).

wickoo
Feb 20, 2012, 09:49 PM
Am I the only one who finds the iPad 3 actually thinner in the second picture?
For me it looks like they used the new Gorilla Glass to achieve the same strength with reduced thickness. That would allow them to make the rest a bit thicker, which is bonkers :)

lulla01
Feb 20, 2012, 09:51 PM
If there an event on March, 7 wouldnt we hear about it next week?

DeathChill
Feb 20, 2012, 09:52 PM
If the battery is larger, which I believe to be true based on what they were saying with the logic board placement in the casing, I wonder how heavy it will be.

hobo.hopkins
Feb 20, 2012, 09:54 PM
Slightly thicker shouldn't bother anyone, especially if it allows the next iPad to retain the amazing battery life of the current iPad (while upgrading the screen).

Drunken Master
Feb 20, 2012, 10:04 PM

You hear something?

Sounds like the world's smallest violin.

Redrum509
Feb 20, 2012, 10:08 PM
Turn it on already!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

Bigyella
Feb 20, 2012, 10:15 PM
I hope its thicker.. I wished the iPhone was thicker. With such huge hands, it makes it hard to hold such tiny things. :D

MacAddict1978
Feb 20, 2012, 10:17 PM

All sources point to it be thicker... but like by a hair. The measurements that have been plastered all over the the internet would have also made it liked that any iPad2 case or accessory would have. fit without any problems..

Though, I said they would do something to force people to by new cases, and it looks like they did do just that. But that's good news for iPad2 owners... stores like Five Below will be loaded with iPad2 stuff soon

lazyrighteye
Feb 20, 2012, 10:20 PM
I agree your Iphone should be your remote shutter and your ipad for live view and review.

Imagine the shoots when you have a customer watching over your shoulder. You can sit them in the corner and say here watch the ipad.. lol

Why imagine?
http://www.phaseone.com/en/Software/Capture-Pilot/Overview.aspx
Just spent a week-long shoot, for a major U.S. retailer, using this nifty little app for iPhone & iPad viewing (amongst other things). No more huddling around the Mac. ;)

AceFernalld
Feb 20, 2012, 10:23 PM
True. Also, I love your avatar. Case Closed is the best. :D

If there an event on March, 7 wouldnt we hear about it next week?
Yes. They usually send out the invites about a week in advance. :)

skellener
Feb 20, 2012, 10:27 PM
I don't think most people give a **** about a slightly thicker iPad. The biggest issue I have with the iPad 2 is how sharp the edges are. For a company that prides itself on R&D, they make horribly sharp products that you are supposed to hold in your hands. The edges dig into the creases of your fingers when holding it for an extended period of time. Rounding the edge of the iPad 3 would go a long way to improving usability of the product IMHO.

TheGenerous
Feb 20, 2012, 10:28 PM
Can't wait to put Windows 8 on this baby!

sjinsjca
Feb 20, 2012, 10:41 PM
I hope it is thicker, the iPad 2 was just so ugly because it was overly thin. Why couldn't they make it a bit thicker and pack in some more battery? The iPad 2 was just anorexic.

Then again, I think the MBA is one of the ugliest laptops on the market (and the MBP I own is one of the prettiest).

Chubby chaser... ;)

TreyCox
Feb 20, 2012, 10:41 PM
I've been holding out FOREVER for this thing. This will be my first iPad and I hope to put it to good use on the job as a graphic designer.

oldschool006
Feb 20, 2012, 10:48 PM
Why imagine?
Just spent a week-long shoot, for a major U.S. retailer, using this nifty little app for iPhone & iPad viewing (amongst other things). No more huddling around the Mac. ;)

Thanks for the idea, Capture Pilot looks like a nice app, something I'd love to try on assignment. But I'd have to shell out $399 first for Capture One Pro? I use Lightroom and Photoshop. Can you give me an idea how this software might fit into my workflow?

Chazn
Feb 20, 2012, 10:53 PM
If it's thicker I expect a tablet that is far superior to the Asus Transformer Prime, an 8MP camera with 1080p recording and a super fast GPU that can run high quality games at decent frame rates on the Retina Display.

Oh, while having all those features hopefully it can maintain 10 hours of battery life. :D

Go:apple:

ThunderSkunk
Feb 20, 2012, 10:58 PM
Oooh, an even thinner, sharper edge, to dig even deeper into your hand/arm/shoulder/wrist. And with more weight to help really gouge it in! Nice work.

NewYorkRanger
Feb 20, 2012, 11:10 PM
Oooh, an even thinner, sharper edge, to dig even deeper into your hand/arm/shoulder/wrist. And with more weight to help really gouge it in! Nice work.

Dig into your Shoulder? What are you doing with your iPad???

Buildbright
Feb 20, 2012, 11:11 PM
Why imagine?

$399 plus the camera must be tethered to a laptop? Thats not what we are talking about. But thanks for the suggestion but thats not a solution just a expensive work around.

doelcm82
Feb 20, 2012, 11:18 PM
But that above picture why does the iPad 3 not have a speaker has it moved?

The speaker is on the right bottom of the iPad 2, as you see in the picture. If it's in the same place on the iPad 3, then it is just outside of the frame of the picture.

Blorzoga
Feb 20, 2012, 11:20 PM

Shoulder? Seriously?

Akack
Feb 20, 2012, 11:22 PM

Thank goodness you have absolutely nothing to do with the design of Apple products.

lazyrighteye
Feb 20, 2012, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the idea, Capture Pilot looks like a nice app, something I'd love to try on assignment. But I'd have to shell out $399 first for Capture One Pro? I use Lightroom and Photoshop. Can you give me an idea how this software might fit into my workflow?

It won't, unless you're using Capture One Pro.
Just chiming in that remote reviewing on an iOS device is possible.

Cheers.

deftdrummer
Feb 20, 2012, 11:25 PM
All sources point to it be thicker... but like by a hair. The measurements that have been plastered all over the the internet would have also made it liked that any iPad2 case or accessory would have. fit without any problems..

Though, I said they would do something to force people to by new cases, and it looks like they did do just that. But that's good news for iPad2 owners... stores like Five Below will be loaded with iPad2 stuff soon

Dude, you are not "forced" to have a case for your new device. In fact, you are not even forced to have the new device. I don't understand how you think that the same design works year after year. Perhaps I missed something and your statement was intended to be a bit rhetorical. At any rate it will be interesting to see what the new iPad will be all about. I'm not so sure I'm digging the thicker design but I'm sure Apple will have some surprises.

meCarlo
Feb 20, 2012, 11:26 PM
And now, the plot thickens .. hehe

Their advertisement says it well "When technology get's out of the way, everything becomes more delightful".

One millimeter more or less, we are getting spoiled whatever we get. Truly thankful for these times that we live in. Stop getting caught up in specifications, think of creative uses instead. Get out there people, and create!

Love from Montréal, Canada

THX1139
Feb 20, 2012, 11:26 PM
Must be a slow rumor day. I can't believe that a few centimeter difference in the size of an iPad is important enough to be an article on the front page. It's no wonder that the PC people think Mac people are a bunch of weirdos. Oh, wait... Mac is dead along with the soon to be dying Apple pro market. I should have said iToys people. My bad. :rolleyes:

Mr. Retrofire
Feb 20, 2012, 11:32 PM
they are staggered, which makes it look weird.

Image (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/02/6905639329_02f36383c1_z.jpg)
This does not explain the light from the front, and the shadow from above. Probably just sunlight & the camera flash.

----------

Source? ;-)

Shorties
Feb 20, 2012, 11:32 PM
I don't mind if this one is thicker, the iPad 2 was as thin as I ever imagined it would be, it was almost so thin, that I was afraid that apple was missing out on including better hardware because of their devotion to slimness. This time around I feel like they are putting more focus in what is under the hood. Plus I always sorta liked the way my friends iPad 1 felt in the hand, the thickness of it was perfect, if its thicker then the iPad 1 i'll be a little annoyed, but again as long as the focus this time around is on hardware improvements I am down for a thicker iPad.

DanteMann
Feb 20, 2012, 11:33 PM
Wow it looks like a baking sheet turned upside down. Apple seriously needs to move away from that cheap Ikea looking aluminum.
If this thing is truly thicker, just imagine how clumsy it will feel once you add your casing for it. No thanks.

cmvsm
Feb 20, 2012, 11:35 PM
iPad 2 is sold, and I will be ordering with credit card online this time. Forget about the in-store crapola that goes on with all of these scalpers. Hopefully, Apple will go to an all online system, where you can only order one per week per account, and you only go to the store when yours is ready to pick up with credit card and ID in hand...no cash. That will fix their little red wagons and local supply will keep up with demand.

bobob
Feb 20, 2012, 11:44 PM
...but does it have stereo speakers?

The Californian
Feb 20, 2012, 11:45 PM
Man, those first two pics just make it look too thick but I'm glad there was the other one to clarify. I'm stoked to see what kind of battery life it gets.

l.w41sh
Feb 20, 2012, 11:47 PM
Is it me or is the white bezel much thiner than the iPad 2?
This would be interesting new glass on the new "retina" screen???

Nosadge
Feb 20, 2012, 11:55 PM

Lol

firestarter
Feb 20, 2012, 11:57 PM
...but does it have stereo speakers?

I'd gladly accept a slightly larger case for stereo and better sound quality. The iPad speaker is really tinny.

Nosadge
Feb 20, 2012, 11:58 PM
Wow it looks like a baking sheet turned upside down. Apple seriously needs to move away from that cheap Ikea looking aluminum.
If this thing is truly thicker, just imagine how clumsy it will feel once you add your casing for it. No thanks.

I like the aluminium (JI), but I agree, it looks a little cheap to me with the TV dinner container look (I thought the same thing about the iPad 2 when I first saw it, and still think it looks weird).

I do dig my iPad 2, though :apple:

Augure
Feb 21, 2012, 12:02 AM
We already knew that it would be larger if it had a Retina Display.

Now I don't know if it's going to be called iPad 2S or 3 (probably 3 because of the different tappered edge) but I'm pretty disappointing that it's now thinner.

It's okay though, ultrathin slate & tablets are not ready for now, and the iPad 2 is pretty great.

lazyrighteye
Feb 21, 2012, 12:06 AM
$399 plus the camera must be tethered to a laptop? Thats not what we are talking about. But thanks for the suggestion but thats not a solution just a expensive work around.

Sorry, I didn't realize you were talking about anything other than remote viewing/triggering: both possible (and more) via my expensive workaround.
Interested to hear your cheap solution.

----------

Boom box. Duh. ;)

borgqueenx
Feb 21, 2012, 12:20 AM
Since its thicker then asus prime and ipad 2, i hope the inside will pack serious ass kicking stuff:D

Menopause
Feb 21, 2012, 12:22 AM

Great, thanks, more for us. Have a Pee Cee.

i0Nic
Feb 21, 2012, 12:30 AM
The real issue is the weight - hopefully it's not much heavier than the iPad 2.

The decrease in weight from the iPad 1, which was a bit too heavy, to the iPad 2 was ideal. If they start moving in the other direction and the iPad becomes heavier than this is pretty much a dealbreaker for me.

Any rumours about the weight of the iPad 3? That's what I want to hear about, before I put my iPad 2 on eBay.

Mr. Retrofire
Feb 21, 2012, 12:30 AM
The picture looks real.

http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab120/bginfo/3988dec1.png

red pixels = artificial lighting (probably camera flash)
light grey pixels = shadows
dark grey pixels = other light source (probably sunlight)

juliusaugustus
Feb 21, 2012, 12:34 AM
We are told specs don't matter well they matter and this device happens to have awesome specs.

MacDarcy
Feb 21, 2012, 12:35 AM
Couldn't care less about it being alittle thicker. Just want the retina display & faster chip with more ram. Then I'm golden. :-)

Also, i don't much care for the Apple magnet case. I currently use the ipad 1 and have the first Apple case...the black one that covers the back as well. Which i like alot. I don't like the idea of the back of the ipad being exposed and naked. :-)

So when i update to the ipad 3....i am gonna try to find a cool thin case that covers the back like the first apple ipad case. :-)

gorskiegangsta
Feb 21, 2012, 12:35 AM
Must be a slow rumor day. I can't believe that a few centimeter difference in the size of an iPad is important enough to be an article on the front page.

It's important enough to enough people. Hate to break it to you, but you're not the center of the universe. Not every article here has to be written specifically for you.

It's no wonder that the PC people think Mac people are a bunch of weirdos.

Some "PC people" think of "Mac people" as weirdos. If you're one of them, it says more about you than it does about those "Mac people".

Oh, wait... Mac is dead along with the soon to be dying Apple pro market. I should have said iToys people. My bad. :rolleyes:

The Mac is so dead that it's outgrown the PC market for six straight years :rolleyes:

smoking monkey
Feb 21, 2012, 12:50 AM
On the original topic, I'm calling BS on this tapered design thing. I may be wrong, but I just don't think it works for devices like the iPhone or iPad. It works perfectly for the MacBook Air because you only use it in one orientation. With the iPad, however, as Steve Jobs touted at the original unveiling, you can use it in any of the 4 possible orientations. Making it a wedge...

Huh? I think you're getting confused. There is no wedge shape for the ipad.

-LikesMac-
Feb 21, 2012, 12:51 AM
I find it sad that the person above me got downranked for what seemed logical.

Thumbs up/down systems really don't mean a lot. :(

Prodo123
Feb 21, 2012, 12:56 AM
What I want is for the iPad 3 to be released, and for Apple to continue producing the iPad 2 as a cheaper alternative, priced at $300.
They would sell like hotcakes.

MH01
Feb 21, 2012, 12:57 AM
Thicker!! Jobs would be pissed! Guess change is coming to Apple:) I am sure they would have been **** scared to present a thicker iPad to jobs. Those pics make it look much thicker then my iPad 1. I am sure it will be fine in the hands

tom vilsack
Feb 21, 2012, 12:57 AM
guess i was hoping for something more...might be best to call this ipad 2.1

smulji
Feb 21, 2012, 12:58 AM
It's important enough to enough people. Hate to break it to you, but you're not the center of the universe. Not every article here has to be written specifically for you.

Some "PC people" think of "Mac people" as weirdos. If you're one of them, it says more about you than it does about those "Mac people".

The Mac is so dead that it's outgrown the PC market for six straight years :rolleyes:

"The Mac is so dead that it's outgrown the PC market for six straight years"

Yet it still only commands no more than 12% of the North American PC market and 5% of the worldwide PC market.

The Mac may not be dead, but it's still no force to be reckoned on when it comes to the traditional PC market.

MacinDoc
Feb 21, 2012, 01:01 AM
What's important here is whether the user experience is improved. Is the display sharper? Is it capable of more advanced operations? Does it feel more comfortable in the hand (thinner is not always more comfortable)? Does the battery last longer? If the answer to all of these questions is yes, then this iPad is a winner regardless of whether it is a bit thicker than its predecessor.

juliusaugustus
Feb 21, 2012, 01:03 AM
What's important here is whether the user experience is improved. Is the display sharper? Is it capable of more advanced operations? Does it feel more comfortable in the hand (thinner is not always more comfortable)? Does the battery last longer? If the answer to all of these questions is yes, then this iPad is a winner regardless of whether it is a bit thicker than its predecessor.
it will offer the same experience just improved....

mac4good84
Feb 21, 2012, 01:05 AM
Apple, please make an announcement already, it would be nice to just know; speaking of which does anyone remember last year when Apple announced the date of the iPad 2 launch? Can't remember....

mindvent
Feb 21, 2012, 01:09 AM
Anyone complaining about it being too thin/sharp are weak as piss and made of jelly.

If things are so bad; why not be the hardass you think you are and talk with your wallet - there are plenty of other, chunky tablets out there and they are made of plastic too!! I imagine they would be much more appropriate for prolonged contact with the... shoulder?

Agent-P
Feb 21, 2012, 01:10 AM
The first two pictures make the iPad 3 look really fat compared to the iPad 2 (probably due to the camera angle and lighting). So glad that the third picture show's that it's barely thicker to the point it doesn't matter. I just hope it isn't too much heavier than the iPad 2. I liked the weight of my iPad 2. It was heavy enough to feel sturdy, but light enough to easily carry and use for a while.

polee
Feb 21, 2012, 01:12 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Oh wow. I really cannot wait for this to be released.

MacDarcy
Feb 21, 2012, 01:23 AM
Thicker!! Jobs would be pissed! Guess change is coming to Apple:) I am sure they would have been **** scared to present a thicker iPad to jobs. Those pics make it look much thicker then my iPad 1. I am sure it will be fine in the hands

Don't be silly, Steve Jobs totally approved this design. He oversaw the next several years of future products, and the ipad 3 was the first of them. Of course he approved the thicker ipad 3. His priority was the retina display.

nutjob
Feb 21, 2012, 01:27 AM

Chance of it not being heaver is absolutely zero. They're not going to fill the extra space with air. The trend for devices is greater density, not less.

----------

I've been holding out FOREVER for this thing. This will be my first iPad and I hope to put it to good use on the job as a graphic designer.

Do you need something heavy to hold down the ends of rolled up printouts?

MacinDoc
Feb 21, 2012, 01:28 AM
(In the voice of Rowen Atkinson) "I'm assuming that's a joke..."

Yet it still only commands no more than 12% of the North American PC market and 5% of the worldwide PC market.

The Mac may not be dead, but it's still no force to be reckoned on when it comes to the traditional PC market.
If the current trend were to continue for another six years (of course, there is no guarantee that it will), Mac OS would hold 50% of the North American market. Ignore it if you will, but MS would be ill advised to do so.

----------

Don't be silly, Steve Jobs totally approved this design. He oversaw the next several years of future products, and the ipad 3 was the first of them. Of course he approved the thicker ipad 3. His priority was the retina display.
Agreed.

AceFernalld
Feb 21, 2012, 01:30 AM
Huh? I think you're getting confused. There is no wedge shape for the ipad.

If it's thicker at one end with a "gradual taper," isn't that wedge shaped? :confused:

UPDATE: Wow, haha, I feel really dumb. Went to the linked article and looked at all of the images and realized it isn't a wedge at all. I read gradual taper and saw the top-right image in which it looks wedge-ish. My apologies for that stupidity. :o

Buildbright
Feb 21, 2012, 01:32 AM
Sorry, I didn't realize you were talking about anything other than remote viewing/triggering: both possible (and more) via my expensive workaround.
Interested to hear your cheap solution.

----------

Boom box. Duh. ;)

As per my first post a native app offered my Canon and Nikon like the remote shutter one already offered. I can put in an eyefi in my iPad now and leave the laptop at home. I was discussing with the other poster how nice it would be to have a native solution.

hawk1410
Feb 21, 2012, 01:35 AM
Argh.. why is it more thick. I just hope even better battery life. Eagerly waiting for it

Macopotamus
Feb 21, 2012, 01:37 AM
From some angles it looks quite a bit thicker really. Very un-Apple-like to go from thinner to thicker with any product, even if its a tiny difference.

boshii
Feb 21, 2012, 01:40 AM
Apple, please make an announcement already, it would be nice to just know; speaking of which does anyone remember last year when Apple announced the date of the iPad 2 launch? Can't remember....

Invites went out February 23 for a March 2 keynote. iPad 2 launch was March 11.

toughboy
Feb 21, 2012, 01:46 AM

You really think Jobs didn't see iPad 3? :rolleyes: He has probably seen couple generations on all Macs and iPhones, dw..

ggrossi
Feb 21, 2012, 01:49 AM

LTE probably.

Michael Scrip
Feb 21, 2012, 01:52 AM
You really think Jobs didn't see iPad 3? :roll eyes: He probably see couple generations on all Macs and iPhones..

I wouldn't be surprised if Jobs had a rough roadmap for the next 5 years...

MacinDoc
Feb 21, 2012, 01:54 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

ggrossi: more likely 2nd LED backlight, with the extra space between backlights occupied by a slightly larger battery,

Millah
Feb 21, 2012, 01:58 AM
For those of you saying "OMG THICKER"....click on the link to go to MICgadgets website. There are quite a few photos that Macrumors didn't post. There's a perfect side by side on there, and the thing is literally a HAIR thicker. Like, barely even noticeable. I wouldn't be surprised if its 1mm thicker like estimates have been saying.

So please, it's not really thick enough to notice any difference at all. And the new tapering seems like it would feel even better in the hands.

The one thing I AM hoping for is the weight to be the same. It seems unfeasible to hope for something lighter, but hopefully it's not any heavier. I loved how they made the ipad2 lighter.

mindvent
Feb 21, 2012, 02:07 AM
One thing I question; why do the shots not show proper profiles?
I mean it's not like these are snap and dash shots; They were setup for the purpose of the shot... They had freedom to work with them, so why such obscure shots?

Granted they are showing thickness comparisons, however considering there are no solid shots of the iPad 3 online yet, you would think you would grab one or two profile shots...? Fishy.

marcusj0015
Feb 21, 2012, 02:18 AM
It looks marginally thicker, as in less than 2mms. it's ridiclous, if it's thicker I won't buy it, wtf?

ImperialX
Feb 21, 2012, 02:27 AM
Chance of it not being heaver is absolutely zero. They're not going to fill the extra space with air. The trend for devices is greater density, not less.

But by how much? That's what's important. The iPad 1 was too heavy to be held comfortably for prolonged periods.

Aussieiphone
Feb 21, 2012, 02:43 AM
I hope it's not thicker just to accommodate a larger battery, the thinness of the iPad 2 was one of the main things I liked about it and I had no qualms with battery life...(wifi only model)

However increasing the thickness for retina purposes though, I guess I'm willing to look the other way ;) or actually at the new screen for hours on end without blinking.

Macman45
Feb 21, 2012, 02:44 AM
I just want it's release announcement, my 2 went to a buddy, and I'm now realising just how much I used it at night....Ipad withdrawal? Must be.

locust76
Feb 21, 2012, 02:46 AM
For those of you saying "OMG THICKER"....click on the link to go to MICgadgets website. There are quite a few photos that Macrumors didn't post. There's a perfect side by side on there, and the thing is literally a HAIR thicker. Like, barely even noticeable. I wouldn't be surprised if its 1mm thicker like estimates have been saying.

If it's 1mm thicker, then it's closer to 100 hairs thicker...

Just sayin'

CplBadboy
Feb 21, 2012, 02:48 AM
When I seen the 2nd image I was like Woaaaaaahhhh!!!! Is that a bath tub turned upside down!!!! The crazy light looks it make cumbersome. 3rd image does it justice though. Looks like its set to go down a storm next month. Just wish I could afford it! had my iPad 2 since xmas and although its fantastic, that high res screen will be an absolute joy to look at I bet.:)

GoGa
Feb 21, 2012, 02:51 AM

It looks fat like the iPhone 3G/3GS.

Since its thicker then asus prime and ipad 2, i hope the inside will pack serious ass kicking stuff:D

Argh.. why is it more thick. I just hope even better battery life. Eagerly waiting for it

From some angles it looks quite a bit thicker really. Very un-Apple-like to go from thinner to thicker with any product, even if its a tiny difference.

I hope it's not thicker just to accommodate a larger battery, the thinness of the iPad 2 was one of the main things I liked about it and I had no qualms with battery life...(wifi only model)

However increasing the thickness for retina purposes though, I guess I'm willing to look the other way ;) or actually at the new screen for hours on end without blinking.

I think you need to look at this picture:
http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n500/MarkMarmite/fea5fcbb.jpg

You can't even notice a difference in thickness, if anything it will probably feel thinner than the iPad 2 because of the new edges (which I think look great) :)

toughboy
Feb 21, 2012, 02:55 AM
Here's the Flickr photo stream link for those who want to see more of iPad 3 :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/micgadget/6905638789/in/photostream/

BobbyRond
Feb 21, 2012, 02:56 AM
Invites went out February 23 for a March 2 keynote. iPad 2 launch was March 11.

So I hope it will be February 28 for the invites, March 7 for the Keynote and March 16 for the launch. (if not, sooner!) :D

bangak
Feb 21, 2012, 03:00 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Don't get your hopes up too high for productive uses as a designer. I've owned both iPads and spent quite a bit on apps hoping to help my print and web workflow. After two years I've finally stopped saying the iPad is for work and now admit it's just an awesome entertainment device. For some professions the iPad is a perfect work companion. For a working graphic designer it's more of lovely distraction.

Aqua Bliss
Feb 21, 2012, 03:03 AM
Guys, they say the iPad2 case *fits* the iPad3 shell so it can't be that much thicker. They even have a picture of the iPad2 case on the iPad3 shell:

About 60% of the way down the page:
http://micgadget.com/22234/the-ipad-3-rumor-roundup/

MacDarcy
Feb 21, 2012, 03:11 AM

Don't get your hopes up too high for productive uses as a designer. I've owned both iPads and spent quite a bit on apps hoping to help my print and web workflow. After two years I've finally stopped saying the iPad is for work and now admit it's just an awesome entertainment device. For some professions the iPad is a perfect work companion. For a working graphic designer it's more of lovely distraction.

I have to disagree with ya. True, the ipad is not a macbook replacement....YET. But it is a very creative tool for the working professional. I am an artist too. I currently have the ipad 1...and have been incredibly creative on it. If the ipad 3 has a gig of ram, an A6 quad core chip & a friggin retina display....it will DEFINITELY be useful for professionals who travel alot. Photographers, designers, fine artists, filmmakers etc will all be able to do some amazing things on it I am sure.

That being said, i don't doubt that you prefer the power and programs of a powerbook over an ipad. It's not going to be the solution for everybody. And thats cool. But for many it will be....especially if all the rumors about the ipad 3 pan out. More apps will come that will take advantage of its improved power, speed and display. Of this I am sure.

Can't wait. :-)

Yixian
Feb 21, 2012, 03:14 AM
They are making an ultra portable, handheld device like the iPad thicker, and yet they stunt the GPU on the MacBook Pros by refusing to make that thicker, despite there being an ultra portable version of that machine in the MacBook Air?

GOD DAMN IT APPLE.

JayLenochiniMac
Feb 21, 2012, 03:18 AM

You obviously don't know Apple. The iPhone 3G/3GS was thicker than the original. They also did the same thing to the iMac, thinner at the edge but slightly bulging in the center.

Looks like my comment regarding the iPad 3 looking fat just like the iPhone 3G/3GS bothered a lot of you judging from the mark-downs. Sorry, but when they release a thinner iPad 4 you're all going to think the iPad 3 looks fat just like we iPhone 4/4S owners now think the 3G/3GS looks fat.

Image (http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n500/MarkMarmite/fea5fcbb.jpg)

You can't even notice a difference in thickness, if anything it will probably feel thinner than the iPad 2 because of the new edges (which I think look great) :)

Exactly the same thing with the original iPhone and iPhone 3G/3GS. Hardly noticeable in thickness when viewed from the side, yet the 3G/3GS looks considerably fat in other angles.

Winni
Feb 21, 2012, 03:22 AM
You might want to check out iOS 5. I never connect my devices to iTunes on the computer anymore.

I also don't need iTunes anymore since I've moved on to Android... :D

DroidRules
Feb 21, 2012, 03:23 AM
WoW, done whining yet? Don't like it don't buy it, your problem solved.

So what exactly did you want in a new iPad? New, case, screen, processor, battery, most likely RAM..... What would have to change for YOU to call it an iPad 3?

PBP
Feb 21, 2012, 03:26 AM
Damn, people whining about 1mm :rolleyes:
If its thicker there must be a good reason for it. Better battery? More room for the retina display? Who knows.. If it's really 1mm thicker and has a better battery i'm fine with that.

robertosh
Feb 21, 2012, 03:26 AM
stop complaining about the design, all of you will buy one (or two). I think that is beautiful and will be more comfortable to hold

Asclepio
Feb 21, 2012, 03:43 AM
haha what a brick... now thicker is the new features of fanboys.

borgqueenx
Feb 21, 2012, 03:55 AM
im wondering....the images look like there's nothing changed about the design wich is IMO a minus. not a big minus, but a minus. The ipad 2 gets unconfortable in the hands when holding it longer then 30 minutes IMO because their relativly sharp edges.

that it gets bigger is a "I DONT CARE" for me. IMO it may get 2-3mm thicker. just put in more battery for those mm's.

Darlo770
Feb 21, 2012, 03:57 AM
What did say about it being thicker? :rolleyes: Tehehehehee. 1-1.5mm is forgivable though, seriously, it's the weight that's more important. Shouldn't be too much heavier either.

I swear in the one photo it looks like it has a white front to it.
EDIT: Nope, second look, it just looks like a slight taper on the aluminium.
That'll be next... Fully assembled iPad 3 leaked! :P

KingJosh
Feb 21, 2012, 04:03 AM
I always find it funny. when people are always wanting it Sleeker, thinner and lighter.. but when they get it, they end up covering it in a thick protective case :)[COLOR="#808080"]
LOL! I used to be one for going all out protective but then I realised how freaking ugly it looked. I just use a synthetic pocket for my iphone now not a scratch in 3 years :D I'd love this iPad3 and I would get that Apple magnetic case with it but probably won't have the money to spend on it. Need > want things at the moment.

shazzam

New iPad is 1mm thicker.
#firstworldproblems

borgqueenx
Here's the Flickr photo stream link for those who want to see more of iPad 3 :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/micgadget/6905638789/in/photostream/

that photo on there seems like its 0.5mm thicker.

BTW: for those who ask if it gets heavier...maybe you can buy the 16gb instead of 128gb :D

hexx
Feb 21, 2012, 04:15 AM
why make it thicker?

Wozza2010
Feb 21, 2012, 04:25 AM
What a brick!!

Got to be a fake. No way Apple would release that.

GoGa
Feb 21, 2012, 04:28 AM
What a brick!!

Did you even look at the pictures? You can't even see the difference.

locust76
Feb 21, 2012, 04:49 AM

That's exactly what they said about the asymmetrical antenna dividers on the original iPhone 4...

Darlo770
Feb 21, 2012, 04:49 AM
If there's one thing that i REALLY hope doesn't happen it's this:

Apple exploit the fact that people will flock to buy it because of the Retina display, while in reality it could well be a bit of a bad buy. Say the fourth iPad comes out and addresses all of the following:

Thickness is reduced back to that of the iPad 2.
Sharp IGZO screens are standard = Less power hungry backlight
More efficient processor & LTE chip.
Possibly thinner battery again, as things that required the juice-boost are now efficient enough.
See what i'm getting at?

Basically i just hope the iPad 3 isn't a freak. Perhaps being a premature product with substantial compromises because it was too soon, with the iPad 4 being the true iPad 3.

DroidRules
Feb 21, 2012, 04:50 AM
haha what a brick... now thicker is the new features of fanboys.

I know on your planet they have paper thin tablets with a super hi def screen, 5 day bettery life, 5 gigs of ram, 8 core processor and it weighs 2 oz but here on earth we actually need to add a bit of size if we want retina display with a good battery life. Maybe you can have some of your pads sent over to us poor folks with our fat pads here on earth.

borgqueenx
Feb 21, 2012, 04:53 AM

Apple exploit the fact that people will flock to buy it because of the Retina display, while in reality it could well be a bit of a bad buy. Say the fourth iPad comes out and addresses all of the following:

Possibly thinner battery again, as things that required the juice-boost are now efficient enough.
See what i'm getting at?

Basically i just hope the iPad 3 isn't a freak. Perhaps being a premature product with substantial compromises because it was too soon, with the iPad 4 being the true iPad 3.

Lol thats the most useless post of the day. Apple always improves their products. Would you release a new product with downgraded, on par or only a slight upgrade?

Darlo770
Feb 21, 2012, 05:00 AM
Lol thats the most useless post of the day. Apple always improves their products. Would you release a new product with downgraded, on par or only a slight upgrade?

I was expecting replies like this, you obviously missed the point.
Apple are constantly improving their products, yes.
Not purposely changing things for the worst just so they can double-back on them next year.

ThatsMeRight
Feb 21, 2012, 05:02 AM

See what i'm getting at?

But the iPad 2 is the true iPad 1.

borgqueenx
Feb 21, 2012, 05:03 AM
I was expecting replies like this, you obviously missed the point.

na youre trolling. Once the ipad 4 comes out someone, like you, will say: bleh it doesnt has the 10MP camera, not the newest octocore processor. bleh il wait for ipad 5.

Darlo770
Feb 21, 2012, 05:06 AM
na youre trolling. Once the ipad 4 comes out someone, like you, will say: bleh it doesnt has the 10MP camera, not the newest octocore processor. bleh il wait for ipad 5.

I'm not one of those people, i assure you.

sinser
Feb 21, 2012, 05:06 AM

I'm sure iPad 5 will be the true iPad 4.

nexsta
Feb 21, 2012, 05:15 AM
I don't care about a retina display and 8mp camera, make the ipad 7" thinner and lighter and 200$ and I would buy it.

borgqueenx
Feb 21, 2012, 05:28 AM
I'm not one of those people, i assure you.

its simple. the ipad 3 or 2S or whatever will be the third generation ipad, and whatever is added, is better then the ipad2. Even if the only thing they did is make the retina display. No improved cameras, ram, gpu, battery ect.
A person can always wish for more, i understand that.
ofcource the fourth generation will again kick ass of older line products.
Better screen, better battery ect ect ect ect ect.
It cant be a bad guy because that screen. Just watch your iphone 4's DPI screen. then watch at the ipad 3...its to the eyes probaly about desame. Thats magical for a 10 inch screen. the cpu and gpu will receive a upgrade to at least make it up to par with ipad2, but then running in full high res glory.

Ximie
Feb 21, 2012, 05:38 AM
OMGGGGG it's thicker!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

It's like you can already tell Steve Jobs is dead. Why more thickness?? Whyyyyy??

P.S. I'm being sarcastic. Still don't understand Jobs's fetish with thinness.

HERO XXL
Feb 21, 2012, 05:41 AM
HAVE YOU ANY IDEA how difficult it has been to NOT reply with "That's what she said!" to some of these replies?!?!

farleysmaster
Feb 21, 2012, 05:57 AM
I don't understand. The product experts in the forum assured me that there is no way the iPad would be even one micron thicker. I don't know what to believe in anymore. I'm moving back to Palm Pilots.

arcite
Feb 21, 2012, 06:08 AM
Image (http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n500/MarkMarmite/fea5fcbb.jpg)

Everyone knows that thickness is better than length.

:p

bobob
Feb 21, 2012, 06:09 AM

So what exactly did you want in a new iPad? New, case, screen, processor, battery, most likely RAM..... What would have to change for YOU to call it an iPad 3?

A screen-less sphere with purely Siri voice input?

foodog
Feb 21, 2012, 06:11 AM

Use any CF USB adapter with the USB dock connector.... Now tethering to a Camera would be very nice

Mackan
Feb 21, 2012, 06:11 AM
So much talk about thickness here. You know who will not talk about it? Apple.

jmnikricket
Feb 21, 2012, 06:13 AM
There seems to be way too much speculation about the actual difference in thickness. The obvious solution is to stop sending it around to people who take pictures from weird angles and can't make a simple linear measurement and send it to me, who has a micrometer and will gladly take all the measurements and pictures you want, in between playing with it :D

tdream
Feb 21, 2012, 06:28 AM
The iPad 2 thickness is incredibly thin, so making it slightly thicker to fit all the great features into the iPad 3 is fine. It might end up being the same thickness as the iPad 1 which is perfectly fine for me.

Lesser Evets
Feb 21, 2012, 06:32 AM
File under "nearly identical"; drive on.

LeoCastillo
Feb 21, 2012, 06:36 AM

The iPhone 3G was thicker and wider than the original iPhone.

Leo

Pigumon
Feb 21, 2012, 06:45 AM
The iPad 2 is the most uncomfortable tablet I've ever held.
The taper is way too sharp and I can't hold it more than a couple of minutes without having to set it down and rub out the red lines in my hands.

I ended up getting a case just to make the sides more comfortable.

:(

jonnysods
Feb 21, 2012, 06:47 AM
That first photo make them both look huge. Such a weird angle.

bobob
Feb 21, 2012, 06:52 AM
The iPad 2 is the most uncomfortable tablet I've ever held.
The taper is way too sharp and I can't hold it more than a couple of minutes without having to set it down and rub out the red lines in my hands.

I ended up getting a case just to make the sides more comfortable.

:(
http://success.org/success/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/weakling1.png

Better toughen up for iPad 3 then!

JSMencer
Feb 21, 2012, 06:55 AM
It would be nice to see an iPad that resembles a large iPhone 4 with a glass back instead of an aluminum back, and squared off, not tapered

DroidRules
Feb 21, 2012, 06:55 AM
A screen-less sphere with purely Siri voice input?

LoL, or maybe the pPad......

Rogifan
Feb 21, 2012, 06:57 AM
What's with these weird camera shots. Totally distorts what the product really looks like. I'll bet when you get one of these in your hands you won't even be able to notice its thicker (if it really is).

Rafterman
Feb 21, 2012, 07:03 AM
Thanks Arn for the better pic. You should put that on the story... looks much better.

iPad 3 = My first iPad. Can't wait two more weeks!!!!

Longer than that. They don't release them the same day they announce them. Probably three-four weeks ;)

Chupa Chupa
Feb 21, 2012, 07:04 AM
Assuming these pics are of the next iPad 3, hopefully the tapering fixes the poor audio b/c of speaker placement. That's the biggest design flaw in the iPad 2 IMHO.

Longer than that. They don't release them the same day they announce them. Probably three-four weeks ;)

9 day difference last year between announcement (Mar 2) and U.S. release (Mar 11).

E.Lizardo
Feb 21, 2012, 07:09 AM

That is simply stunningly hilarious.

Jibbajabba
Feb 21, 2012, 07:11 AM
I don't understand how you think that the same design works year after year.

Works in the car industry (Aston Martin for example) - some things just don't have to change :)

applesith
Feb 21, 2012, 07:14 AM

I can't wait to have it on my hands!!

ChrisTX
Feb 21, 2012, 07:17 AM
After seeing side by side pics, the difference in thickness is only minimal at best. I believe the retina display will be the selling point for me this year. I already own an iPad2 so LTE, and an A6 alone won't be enough to get me to upgrade this year. *FINGERS CROSSED* for a retina display! :D

E.Lizardo
Feb 21, 2012, 07:17 AM

Given the design timeline on these products he knew.

Asclepio
Feb 21, 2012, 07:22 AM
http://i41.tinypic.com/jzxkqp.jpg

"Slightly More Thickness" but with nice telescope.

gnasher729
Feb 21, 2012, 07:23 AM

The Mac owns 12% of the US PC market and about 5.6% of the world wide PC market in unit sales. However, it owns more than double that percentage in revenue, more than 25% of US and more than 12% of world wide PC revenue. That's not a "force to be reckoned with", that's a giant. However, it owns much more than double _that_ percentage in profits. Actually, with companies like Sony making massive losses, it wouldn't be impossible for Apple to have more than 100% of the profits one day soon.

ChrisTX
Feb 21, 2012, 07:25 AM
Works in the car industry (Aston Martin for example) - some things just don't have to change :)

Plus it's costly for the consumer to upgrade yearly so most people feel comfortable buying Apple products knowing their device won't be upgraded 2 months later like some other companies.

farleysmaster
Feb 21, 2012, 07:29 AM

You don't think the iPad or Aston Martin would benefit from Go Faster Stripes?

SD456
Feb 21, 2012, 07:53 AM
I hope Apple will not release the new iPad too soon. This will be my first iPad, and I don't want to buy a slightly updated iPad.

Dionte
Feb 21, 2012, 07:59 AM
To wait in line or to pre-order, that is the question.

BC2009
Feb 21, 2012, 08:01 AM
I think these photos of it are rather unflattering. I think Apple will put a nice spin on the "thicker". I remember reading an iPad 2 review by Andy Ihnatko (http://www.suntimes.com/business/4396870-420/review-ipad-2-is-not-revolutionary---but-it-is-great.html) in which he states (my emphasis):

After a week of use, I sense that a third of an inch is about as thin as an iPad can get before a user might pine for a tablet with a little more junk in the trunk. The iPad 2 is comfortable and satisfying to hold, but it feels like it’s hovering just above the safety margin. Holding it and reading at certain angles, I wished that it filled my hand a little more or that the back were a little “grippier” (though this was completely negated when I attached the Smart Cover; read on).

I think Steve Jobs would have gone nuts at the idea of producing a "slightly thicker" iPad. I think he would have berated the engineers until they figured out how to shave off 1.5mm. Maybe it is not thicker, as reports have varied in this regard, we will have to see.

For me, I would like the exact same profile so any existing accessories will continue to function. I could care less about a single millimeter of thickness when holding and using it. By I do care if I have to go buy a new case and a new dock -- I've been holding off on the Zaggfolio for iPad 2 case for this very reason. Recently, I have taken to writing more and would like to do it on my iPad 2 rather than pickup a MacBook Air. The Zaggfolio offers a nice bluetooth keyboard without the flaws of their iPad 1 keyboard case (no back protection and a edge that would grind into your wrists). But I won't buy any more accessories until I get the actual dimensions of the next iPad confirmed in an Apple announcement.

MacDarcy
Feb 21, 2012, 08:07 AM
To wait in line or to pre-order, that is the question.

Pre-order...OR wait until the lines go down! I have been an Apple user & fan since before it was cool....during the dark days of the early 90s...and I have NEVER waited overnight outside on some stupid line. I ALWAYS....even with Apple, like to wait for the mass hysteria to die down. See what bugs or kinks there may be...and if nothing else just relax in the comfort of my own home instead of freezing or sweating my ass off on some stupid line. LOL.

Seriously. I am a HUGE Apple nerd...but waiting overnight in a line is too Star-Trekkie nerdie for me. Reminds me of the great SNL sketch with the great William Shatner aka Cpt Kirk addressing a star trek convention filled with trekkies and says, "GET A LIFE!" and "YOU! I BET YOU NEVER SLEPT WITH A GIRL!"

LOL. Sorry fellow Apple nerds...it's true. :-)

rdstoll
Feb 21, 2012, 08:08 AM
Of course the form factor is different, that's how Apple makes their money....by the 1000% margins they get selling new cases and accessories.

whiteboytrash
Feb 21, 2012, 08:09 AM
After seeing side by side pics, the difference in thickness is only minimal at best. I believe the retina display will be the selling point for me this year. I already own an iPad2 so LTE, and an A6 alone won't be enough to get me to upgrade this year. *FINGERS CROSSED* for a retina display! :D

I’m guessing “slightly thicker but “half the weight”.

Carbon fiber innards is my prediction.

toddybody
Feb 21, 2012, 08:10 AM
Call me crazy, but im glad of the extra thickness. It showed Apple didnt pull any punches to deliver the retina display and new CPU/GPU...with the battery life to enjoy them. Kudos.

scott911
Feb 21, 2012, 08:17 AM
keep in mind that the megapixel spec isn't the only factor in determining camera quality. Size of lens (gathering more light), size of CCD (again gathering more light) can be more important.

Case in point, canon's compact G series went from 14 mP pixel down to 11 or 12 mp - and the result was a better camera.

MacDarcy
Feb 21, 2012, 08:18 AM
I think these photos of it are rather unflattering. I think Apple will put a nice spin on the "thicker". I remember reading an iPad 2 review by Andy Ihnatko (http://www.suntimes.com/business/4396870-420/review-ipad-2-is-not-revolutionary---but-it-is-great.html) in which he states (my emphasis):

I think Steve Jobs would have gone nuts at the idea of producing a "slightly thicker" iPad. I think he would have berated the engineers until they figured out how to shave off 1.5mm. Maybe it is not thicker, as reports have varied in this regard, we will have to see.

For me, I would like the exact same profile so any existing accessories will continue to function. I could care less about a single millimeter of thickness when holding and using it. By I do care if I have to go buy a new case and a new dock -- I've been holding off on the Zaggfolio for iPad 2 case for this very reason. Recently, I have taken to writing more and would like to do it on my iPad 2 rather than pickup a MacBook Air. The Zaggfolio offers a nice bluetooth keyboard without the flaws of their iPad 1 keyboard case (no back protection and a edge that would grind into your wrists). But I won't buy any more accessories until I get the actual dimensions of the next iPad confirmed in an Apple announcement.

Naaah. Steve Jobs totally approved the slightly thicker case. It's a stated fact that he oversaw the Apple pipeline design for the next few years...and the iPad 3 will be the FIRST major release since his death. You better believe he approved it's design. If those photos are accurate...you can't even TELL! Plus with the more tapered edges, it actually looks, and probably feels thinner. Besides...who cares. It's 1 friggin millimeter! If they needed to do that to fit the retina display, better camera, and faster chip....anyone who says they won't buy is either lying, or a dman fool IMHO. Lol. :-P

Plus they'd be insulting the late Great Steve Jobs. This is his baby....and you better believe he approved every millimeter. :-P

farleysmaster
Feb 21, 2012, 08:18 AM
Of course the form factor is different, that's how Apple makes their money....by the 1000% margins they get selling new cases and accessories.

Like with the iPhone and iPhone 4S? And seeing how the ipad cover magnet snaps on to the top of the device, is the thickness really likely to make any difference?

Dionte
Feb 21, 2012, 08:27 AM
Pre-order...OR wait until the lines go down! I have been an Apple user & fan since before it was cool....during the dark days of the early 90s...and I have NEVER waited overnight outside on some stupid line. I ALWAYS....even with Apple, like to wait for the mass hysteria to die down. See what bugs or kinks there may be...and if nothing else just relax in the comfort of my own home instead of freezing or sweating my ass off on some stupid line. LOL.

Seriously. I am a HUGE Apple nerd...but waiting overnight in a line is too Star-Trekkie nerdie for me. Reminds me of the great SNL sketch with the great William Shatner aka Cpt Kirk addressing a star trek convention filled with trekkies and says, "GET A LIFE!" and "YOU! I BET YOU NEVER SLEPT WITH A GIRL!"

I waited in line for the 3g and iPad 2 I pre-ordered the 4s, couldn't upgrade to the 3gs and 4 until my contract allowed me. It wasn't the same experience as waiting in line, everyone is so excited you can feed off their energy. The store by me is in 12 Oaks Mall so I won't be in the cold otherwise it would be a definite pre-order.

steviec
Feb 21, 2012, 08:28 AM

Easy now - Work it slow enjoy the view ;)

maxfromdenmark
Feb 21, 2012, 08:30 AM

iPad 1 has still the best look for me, don't like this tapered backside

yegon
Feb 21, 2012, 08:40 AM
Interesting step if it is thicker. If the price of progress is a little thickness then bravo. It's one beef I have with the iPhone, had a 3G, now a 4, and I'd happily take a thicker design on either for better battery life. That said, I've no issue with the 4's battery life.

The photo is funny though, had I never seen an iPad before irl, I'd assume they were immensely thick slabs of metal based on that!

MacDarcy
Feb 21, 2012, 08:44 AM
I waited in line for the 3g and iPad 2 I pre-ordered the 4s, couldn't upgrade to the 3gs and 4 until my contract allowed me. It wasn't the same experience as waiting in line, everyone is so excited you can feed off their energy. The store by me is in 12 Oaks Mall so I won't be in the cold otherwise it would be a definite pre-order.

Lol. Nah. Still not for me. Maybe if I was still in highschool. I live here in NYC...and I just walk by the lines if I want to FEED off the energy. Lol. Then I go across the street and grab a slice of pizza. :-)

I always get my Apple product in the end. Plus...again...i always like to wait instead of jumping on any release. Case in point...the iphone 4S. Lots of reported battery issues. Glad I waited. Cause now I am just gonna wait for the iphone 5 with the larger screen and most likely improved batt life. :-)

But I ain't waitin' on no line for it. :-)

I am definitely gonna nab the iPad 3 cause i skipped the ipad 2, and my ipad 1 is getting a bit slooooow. :-)

Digital Skunk
Feb 21, 2012, 08:54 AM
I am hoping the iPhone 5 comes with a bigger screen and longer battery life, but theres no way I am going to buy a fatter heavier iPad. Even if it does have retina and a better camera.

MacinDoc
Feb 21, 2012, 08:59 AM
I hope Apple will not release the new iPad too soon. This will be my first iPad, and I don't want to buy a slightly updated iPad.
I wouldn't call a significant boost in computing power and a quadrupling of the number of pixels a "slightly updated" iPad.
The form factor is different to accommodate a second LED backlight required for the retina display, and the extra thickness also allows for an upgraded camera (the iPhone 4S camera is too thick to fit into the current iPad form factor).
keep in mind that the megapixel spec isn't the only factor in determining camera quality. Size of lens (gathering more light), size of CCD (again gathering more light) can be more important.

Case in point, canon's compact G series went from 14 mP pixel down to 11 or 12 mp - and the result was a better camera.
Quoted for truth.
Naaah. Steve Jobs totally approved the slightly thicker case. It's a stated fact that he oversaw the Apple pipeline design for the next few years...and the iPad 3 will be the FIRST major release since his death. You better believe he approved it's design. If those photos are accurate...you can't even TELL! Plus with the more tapered edges, it actually looks, and probably feels thinner. Besides...who cares. It's 1 friggin millimeter! If they needed to do that to fit the retina display, better camera, and faster chip....anyone who says they won't buy is either lying, or a dman fool IMHO. Lol. :-P

Plus they'd be insulting the late Great Steve Jobs. This is his baby....and you better believe he approved every millimeter. :-P
I suspect the details of the iPad 3 were finalized prior to Jobs' death, and he likely had a large hand in the decision making. I suspect we will see his stamp on products introduced by Apple in the next 2-3 years.

Moonjumper
Feb 21, 2012, 09:03 AM
I sure hope they add a second speaker like the one on my Galaxy. Music sounds so much better on it than my ipad. One of those small things that drive my crazy about my ipad. All the other improvements will need more space so slightly thicker is ok.

Or they use the glass screen as a big flat panel speaker.

MacDarcy
Feb 21, 2012, 09:12 AM
Or they use the glass screen as a big flat panel speaker.

I have the ipad 1 and am cool with the speaker. Sounds fine to me. Besides, when i am watching a movie on it, i like to use headphones. When I play music thru it, i usually use headphones OR i plug it into my Bose speakers and really crank up the volume. :-)

bbeagle
Feb 21, 2012, 09:34 AM
I am hoping the iPhone 5 comes with a bigger screen and longer battery life, but theres no way I am going to buy a fatter heavier iPad. Even if it does have retina and a better camera.

Who said it was going to be heavier?

GoGa
Feb 21, 2012, 09:45 AM

So your not going to buy an iPad 3 because its probably less than 1mm thicker than the iPad 2... :confused:

WestonHarvey1
Feb 21, 2012, 09:52 AM
After the "white iPhone is thicker" nonsense, I won't believe it is thicker until we see the specs and someone competent measures it. I can't tell by looking at these pictures.

ncaissie
Feb 21, 2012, 10:11 AM

I care about flash and anyone who likes games should care. Flash is not going away and is in every new site built for games. For instance try going to the God Of Way 3 website on your ipad. Or any Playstation game site.
Getting rid of Flash was a retarded move on the part of any mobile platform provider.

Until they stop making new sites with Flash then they should still include it in their devices. Apple failed at strong arming the web. And don't bother with the don't buy an ipad BS comments.

DenisAuermann
Feb 21, 2012, 10:17 AM
Simply put

Ipad 3 = 1-2mm thicker but has

Retina Display
New faster processor
Better battery
LTE capable
More storage

Im ok ith it being 1-2mm thicker

Asclepio
Feb 21, 2012, 10:21 AM

man you hurt a lot of people here!

JayLenochiniMac
Feb 21, 2012, 10:30 AM
Simply put

Ipad 3 = 1-2mm thicker but has

Retina Display
New faster processor
Better battery
LTE capable
More storage

Im ok ith it being 1-2mm thicker

Yeah, they're just stuffing them in now but will find a way to slim it down in the next iteration just like we've seen with the iPhones.

----------

After the "white iPhone is thicker" nonsense, I won't believe it is thicker until we see the specs and someone competent measures it. I can't tell by looking at these pictures.

That's like saying you can't tell a 250 lb person is fatter than a 200 lb person unless a doctor weighs them. It's obvious from the pictures unlike the white iPhone.

farleysmaster
Feb 21, 2012, 10:34 AM
I care about flash and anyone who likes games should care. Flash is not going away and is in every new site built for games. For instance try going to the God Of Way 3 website on your ipad. Or any Playstation game site.
Getting rid of Flash was a retarded move on the part of any mobile platform provider.

Until they stop making new sites with Flash then they should still include it in their devices. Apple failed at strong arming the web. And don't bother with the don't buy an ipad BS comments.

How did they fail? Mobile flash is dead.

WestonHarvey1
Feb 21, 2012, 10:51 AM
Yeah, they're just stuffing them in now but will find a way to slim it down in the next iteration just like we've seen with the iPhones.

----------

That's like saying you can't tell a 250 lb person is fatter than a 200 lb person unless a doctor weighs them. It's obvious from the pictures unlike the white iPhone.

It was "obvious" from the white iPhone pictures. I originally thought it was thicker.

Differences in contour can create optical illusions the same as differences in color. And the picture shown is at an angle.

DotCom2
Feb 21, 2012, 10:56 AM
So would this mean the dock for the iPad 2 will no longer fit the thicker and more angled case of the iPad 3?:confused::mad:

Luap
Feb 21, 2012, 11:00 AM

Good lord.. Its bigger by like, the thickness of a gnats pube.
Why does that really matter? Unless of course you are some kind of microbe.

bbeagle
Feb 21, 2012, 11:01 AM

I have never waited overnight either - but I did wait for about two hours for the iPad 1 w/3G.

It's not just the waiting in line to be first - it's the experience. For the two hours I waited, it was a LOT of fun. I met many people whose interests were similar to mine, traded stories, and had a load of fun.

That's why a lot of people like to stand in line for concerts - not just because you get good seats (now it's easier to get good seats online), but because you meet people and make friends because the people in line like the same thing you do.

By the way, I'm married, so 'never slept with a girl' crap has nothing to do with it.

SBlue1
Feb 21, 2012, 11:38 AM
looks fine for me...

Taz Mangus
Feb 21, 2012, 11:51 AM

Some people need to keep up with the times instead of spreading out dated infromation. iOS 5 removed the need for a physical computer connection.

Jibbajabba
Feb 21, 2012, 11:51 AM
You don't think the iPad or Aston Martin would benefit from Go Faster Stripes?

MAYBE not :)

HishamAkhtar
Feb 21, 2012, 11:52 AM
I guess cause millions of these things are rolling off assembly lines in China. Hard to keep track of every one.

arn

Yeah but it was never really to this extent

mrxak
Feb 21, 2012, 11:54 AM
It may be thicker by a millimeter, but that is not something you will notice.

But everyone complaining, look at that taper. The inside volume of the thing is going to be less. There's less case there, overall, which means less weight. There's less room to cram stuff in there, which probably means less weight too. I don't think it's going to be dramatic, but thicker or not, the iPad 3 will be lighter than the iPad 2, unless they stick some really dense materials inside.

I don't know if anybody's weighed each individual component before, but I would be rather surprised if the heaviest parts of an iPad aren't the glass and case. Looking at these pictures, the glass at least is thinner, and there's going to be less case due to the taper. The battery might be the heaviest component, but the new shell design just means they can put a heavier battery in there if they want without harming the user experience.

Looking at these pictures, it's pretty hard to tell anything about relative thickness, these are terrible photos. But these photos do tell us something, and that's the inside of the thing will account for a greater proportion of the weight this generation than last. At worst, the specs are identical to the iPad 2 and the iPad 3 is merely lighter. At best, the weight is no heavier (and possibly lighter), and the specs are increased. Obviously, Apple didn't spend a year redoing the case and achieving no gains inside the thing, so it'll be the latter. All that remains is to see how big the gains are inside.

Taz Mangus
Feb 21, 2012, 12:01 PM

You are posting here complaining about Apple not using Flash on their iDevices and implying that you don't own or won't own the iPad until you can install Flash, on an iPad, and then you are asking people not to suggest that you not buy the iPad. The logic some people use is beyond belief.

DenisAuermann
Feb 21, 2012, 12:10 PM

----------

Shocking. Thats how technology works, everything gets smaller and faster with time. Look up Moore's law, it might help you out. ;)

ThunderSkunk
Feb 21, 2012, 12:27 PM

Reclining.

That sharp edge is the only complaint I hear when I let people use it, and I hear it every time. "Wow, that's not very comfortable to hold is it..."

Yea, looks cool on the shelf tho.

divinox
Feb 21, 2012, 12:38 PM
ThiCkEr?! Its uN-poSsiBLE!

I WAS the one
Feb 21, 2012, 12:53 PM

Please post a pic with you smiling at the Apple Store after you buy it just for the rest of us be able to tell you that U R FULL of ...! (kidding)

----------

When the iPad 1 shows up I bought it to be one of the first having the latest technology in my hand.. when the iPad 2 appear I bought it because The Processor and the Camera was a need in my iPad world.

I can be with my iPad 2 for a long time now... what in the hell Apple will introduce with the iPad 3 that would make me buy it? I don't care for a high res camera or a high res display...

yep, I that kind of buyer. WHAT DO YOU GOT IN THERE APPLE??? MAKE ME BUY IT!

Digital Skunk
Feb 21, 2012, 01:14 PM
Who said it was going to be heavier?

Physics.

My counter questions to you is: Who said this back casing was 100% guaranteed to be the iPad 3?

So your not going to buy an iPad 3 because its probably less than 1mm thicker than the iPad 2... :confused:

Using your own logic: You WILL buy an iPad 3 because its probably going to be like these rumors?

Seriously, will you?

JayLenochiniMac
Feb 21, 2012, 01:42 PM
I can be with my iPad 2 for a long time now... what in the hell Apple will introduce with the iPad 3 that would make me buy it? I don't care for a high res camera or a high res display...

I take it you don't have the iPhone 4/4S? Owners of the iPhone 3G/3GS said the same thing before they actually handled one with the retina display.

Millah
Feb 21, 2012, 01:58 PM
Are people seriously complaining about a microscopic change in thickness?

Um, wow. You can't please everyone, some people just refuse to be satisfied.

ncaissie
Feb 21, 2012, 02:35 PM
You are posting here complaining about Apple not using Flash on their iDevices and implying that you don't own or won't own the iPad until you can install Flash, on an iPad, and then you are asking people not to suggest that you not buy the iPad. The logic some people use is beyond belief.

Please show me where I said not to buy an Ipad or any iOS device. I own all of them. I simply want to view the sites I frequent the most without problems or buying a third party browser. I love the iOS except the no flash stuff and I don't want to JB my devices.

OverSpun
Feb 21, 2012, 02:41 PM
Am I the only one who finds the iPad 3 actually thinner in the second picture?
For me it looks like they used the new Gorilla Glass to achieve the same strength with reduced thickness. That would allow them to make the rest a bit thicker, which is bonkers :)

Yea, I think its a complete false after looking at the images...

"Ipad 2" actually looks thicker. If you look at the white screen which looks to be stretched in photoshop.

However- The "Ipad 3" looks that the aluminum base was stretched that makes them look the same size.

Its just terrible photoshop job and including a terrible angle to prove anything. Thats why its called a "rumor".

If it was a legit 'leak' then they should have shown some calipers to prove that the ipad 3 is actually thicker, or any dimensions than some terrible comparison image between 2 vs 3. :D

Upvote for you.

bobob
Feb 21, 2012, 02:42 PM
Who said it was going to be heavier?Physics.

...perhaps in a universe where physics doesn't permit variations in density.

gorskiegangsta
Feb 21, 2012, 03:32 PM

Your logic is flawed. For example, if you own a large business that is losing customers and is declining in profits and your direct competitor owns a small business that is rapidly gaining customers and brings a much higher percentage of profit, there is something to worry about. Every smart businessman knows that.

ncaissie
Feb 21, 2012, 03:44 PM

If you were a gamer and liked to keep up with game sites and news you would know it's not dead. The ipad is what I use 98% of my web surfing time and I love games. I agree the games sites should not use flash but they do so I'm stuck using splashtop.

Pigumon
Feb 21, 2012, 05:25 PM
Image (http://success.org/success/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/weakling1.png)

Better toughen up for iPad 3 then!

HOW DID YOU GET INTO MY BATHROOM???
:D

But seriously folks~. I think the thicker edged original iPad is much more comfortable.

Wish they'd drop the whole faux-thin look- "look everyone, it's only 1mm THIN!!!", and come up with a better design. The dock connector at the taper is not cool. Better in the first iPad.

I'd love to see it shaped more the the iPhone 4!

Pigumon
Feb 21, 2012, 05:37 PM

Mobile flash is dead, but the iPad accesses desktop websites, which still use flash like crazy.

I can't believe there's not a simple hack to enable flash. I understand it's a processor and battery hog, but that doesn't mean I don't need it on occasion and that I shouldn't be able to use it.

twoodcc
Feb 21, 2012, 06:08 PM
if everything else is true, then i'm okay with it being thicker. just please give me retina, quad core, and LTE

rockarollr
Feb 21, 2012, 08:36 PM

We still don't know if ANY of this is real. Maybe it has all been planted by Apple to throw everyone off - and then we end up seeing a completely different product than anything in "the leaks". It could very well all be part of Phil Schiller's marketing machine at Apple. :rolleyes:

adamfilip
Feb 21, 2012, 10:10 PM

When the iPad first came out I had the same opinion.. I heavily used flash when building websites.. but now.. things have shifted. HTML5 is being adopted more and more. I think apple succeeded in strong arming the web.. but it will take few more years to really see it.

mortenandersen
Feb 22, 2012, 10:03 AM

This poster does really have an important point, and that's about such accessories as the ZAGGfolio and other cases that may not fit even a slightly thicker iPad 3.

Leaving that problem aside, I think a bit thicker and/or more rounded edge will make the tablet more comfortable to held in the hand over a longer period.

Digital Skunk
Feb 22, 2012, 01:05 PM
...perhaps in a universe where physics doesn't permit variations in density.

Glad to see that SJ's RDF still works.

I can't wait for a thicker iPad 3, with a thicker display and bigger battery than the iPad 2, that weighs less than or the same as the already svelte iPad 2.

I have to remember where I am at times.

How about you spit you loose logic to the iPhone users that think an iPhone with a bigger screen is going to weight a ton.

LordEntropy
Feb 22, 2012, 01:16 PM
This poster does really have an important point, and that's about such accessories as the ZAGGfolio and other cases that may not fit even a slightly thicker iPad 3.

Leaving that problem aside, I think a bit thicker and/or more rounded edge will make the tablet more comfortable to held in the hand over a longer period.

I haven't had a look through all 10 pages of comments, so apologies if this has been answered but do we know how the supposed new thickness of the iPad 3 compares to the original iPad?

bobob
Feb 22, 2012, 09:13 PM
Who said it was going to be heavier?Physics....perhaps in a universe where physics doesn't permit variations in density.Glad to see that SJ's RDF still works.

I can't wait for a thicker iPad 3, with a thicker display and bigger battery than the iPad 2, that weighs less than or the same as the already svelte iPad 2.
I stand by my comment.

I have to remember where I am at times.

How about you spit you loose logic to the iPhone users that think an iPhone with a bigger screen is going to weight a ton.
...perhaps in a universe where grammar doesn't permit variations in intelligibility.

Digital Skunk
Feb 23, 2012, 08:16 AM
I stand by my comment.

...perhaps in a universe where grammar doesn't permit variations in intelligibility.

So again adding a thicker panel will make the iPad 3 lighter than the iPad 2? You have yet to answer that question without using the usual Ad Hominem that pops up all to often in Mac Rumors.

I'll correct my grammar when you find me a proof that a thicker iPad to permit more tech can be less dense.

bobob
Feb 24, 2012, 05:36 AM
So again adding a thicker panel will make the iPad 3 lighter than the iPad 2?
Yes, if the density of the thicker panel is lower.

You have yet to answer that question without using the usual Ad Hominem that pops up all to often in Mac Rumors.
I may have been tempted to, but I never actually wrote that you were thick or dense.

I'll correct my grammar when you find me a proof that a thicker iPad to permit more tech can be less dense.

Remember, the question we're discussing here is: "Who said it was going to be heavier?" There is indeed a possibility that it will be heavier, but it has not yet been announced. Other aspects of the design may change that will allow the iPad 3 to be lighter than the iPad 2. No one has yet officially said it is going to be heavier. Personally, I won't be surprised if Apple manages to engineer a fractionally lighter unit.

Digital Skunk
Mar 8, 2012, 07:59 AM

Like I said.

It's going to be heavier.

bobob
Mar 10, 2012, 06:33 AM
Like I said.

It's going to be heavier.

http://alexwhalley.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Point_missed-e1283770056581.jpg

Digital Skunk
Mar 10, 2012, 08:46 PM

That lets me know one thing. After all that was said, you were obviously:

I WAS the one
Jun 9, 2012, 08:53 AM
I take it you don't have the iPhone 4/4S? Owners of the iPhone 3G/3GS said the same thing before they actually handled one with the retina display.

i read this now sorry for the delay! I owned a iPhone 4s. The iPad 3 is out now and it doesn't impressed me at all. the same machine with a new display...bravo Apple!