PDA

View Full Version : OpenGL Improvements

jayhawk11
Feb 22, 2012, 12:20 AM
Anyone seen anything more about improvements to OpenGL support? Lion was a huge overhaul, and the wording in the press release for ML made it seem like Apple isn't standing still. I ran OpenGL Extensions Viewer, but the results looks similar to 10.7.3.

Have any of you guys seen anything showing support for newer features?

Phechs
Mar 2, 2012, 06:18 PM
from your screenshot, it looks like there have been little to no improvements in OpenGL support in ML at this point. Maybe OSX(or iOSX) will get OpenGL 4.0 support in a decade, that would time out well with the 3.2 support timeline ;-)

pmau
Mar 2, 2012, 06:30 PM
If I understand correctly, you need different initialization code to use the new OpenGL features. (Core Profile / New Profile).
Extension Viewer might not report accurate results.
Check out developer.apple.com, I know there's sample code that explains the difference, but I'm too lazy.

KnightWRX
Mar 2, 2012, 08:46 PM
Extension Viewer might not report accurate results.

Then it wouldn't show 100% of OpenGL 3.2 as supported now would it. ;)

pmau
Mar 3, 2012, 06:16 AM
Then it wouldn't show 100% of OpenGL 3.2 as supported now would it. ;)

I just wanted to admit you were right. I checked the docs.

Yes, the initialization code is for the 3.2 profile and Yes the Extension Viewer works as it should.

(In my head I thought that the new profiles were already 3.2 and beyond ... just dreaming)

rossip
Mar 3, 2012, 08:57 PM
Anyone seen anything more about improvements to OpenGL support? Lion was a huge overhaul, and the wording in the press release for ML made it seem like Apple isn't standing still. I ran OpenGL Extensions Viewer, but the results looks similar to 10.7.3.

Have any of you guys seen anything showing support for newer features?

Could you post the OpenGL version under Summary? That's the driver version you are running. If it's still 7.18.11 then apple is still using the driver from 10.7.3.

zin
Mar 4, 2012, 04:47 AM
By similar to Lion do you mean exactly the same?

Because if so, then I'm beginning to wonder why, even on my Mid 2011 iMac, OpenGL 3.0 isn't even fully supported. The extensions viewer reports that 3.0 is 95% supported, 3.1 (2/8) and 3.2 (7/10).

I thought Lion included support for 3.2 100%?

rossip
Mar 4, 2012, 08:22 AM
By similar to Lion do you mean exactly the same?

Because if so, then I'm beginning to wonder why, even on my Mid 2011 iMac, OpenGL 3.0 isn't even fully supported. The extensions viewer reports that 3.0 is 95% supported, 3.1 (2/8) and 3.2 (7/10).

I thought Lion included support for 3.2 100%?

Select the Core Profile. You must be viewing the compatibility profile.

zin
Mar 4, 2012, 01:54 PM
Select the Core Profile. You must be viewing the compatibility profile.

That was it. Thank you.

haravikk
Mar 4, 2012, 04:54 PM
I got the impression that what they've been working on might be more in the domain of UI/animation acceleration again, along the lines of the Quartz technologies perhaps?

All of people's responses seem more to the tune of everything "feeling" faster, which a UI improvement will usually help with! I suppose with more and more touch friendliness, it's even more important to improve the responsiveness of UI's and other common effects.

It's possible OpenGL might be integrated into the system differently in order to help speed things up, but I never got the impression that they were doing any major OpenGL version upgrades… not yet, anyway.

neoark
Apr 21, 2012, 04:32 PM
Anyone notice anything different in new preview? There is suppose to be glkit like ios and hopefully it will support opengl 3.3.

KnightWRX
Apr 22, 2012, 09:31 AM
Anyone notice anything different in new preview? There is suppose to be glkit like ios and hopefully it will support opengl 3.3.

iOS does not support OpenGL, only OpenGL ES.