Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cavan2211

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
Lion already has a hidden support for the Ntfs disk format, but it is deactivated for stable reasons (as far as I know). So are there any improvments; is it save to activate it, or is it even activated by default.
My TV only supports ntfs so its a big deal for me...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Do you mean write ability because OSX has had the ability to access NTFS for a while now.

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
I think it is just a developed yet not supported thing and probably never will be (due to Microsoft not licensing the option), as it was at one point available in SL as well and could be turned on through commands, but as you have said it was very unstable at best and worked so intermittently I am not sure how anyone could even try and work with it or consider it working/ available.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The long dormant ability to write to NTFS is in prior versions of OSX, I believe Snow Leopard has this as well. Since it has yet to be enabled, I'd not totally trusting a hack to enable it but find other solutions

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.