PDA

View Full Version : Do you need the latest version of Xcode to submit apps?

tbonewilly
Feb 23, 2012, 11:37 AM
Do you need the latest version of Xcode to submit apps to the app stores? I am currently using Xcode 3.1.3 on a mid 2009 MacBook Pro running Leopard. Don't want to upgrade if I don't have to.

ArtOfWarfare
Feb 23, 2012, 02:34 PM
I don't think so... although unless I'm mistaken Xcode 3 didn't have the ability to upload the binary directly to Apple and instead relied on a separate Application Uploader (I can't remember the exact name,) to do it.

So you'll either need to find a copy of that uploader, or upgrade to Xcode 4.

Edit: The name of the application you need to get your app on the app store using Xcode 3 is Application Loader. Application Loader, however, requires a minimum OS version of 10.6.8.

Here's the official documentation on Application Loader:
https://itunesconnect.apple.com/docs/UsingApplicationLoader.pdf

somology
Feb 23, 2012, 03:25 PM
To submit iOS apps to the App Store, you will need to be a registered, paid member of Apple iOS Developer Program.

The latest Xcode and iPhone SDK tools come with the yearly $99 registration, so it is basically a non-starter.

dejo
Feb 23, 2012, 03:30 PM
The latest Xcode and iPhone SDK tools...

don't run on Leopard, which I believe is the OP's concern.

PhoneyDeveloper
Feb 23, 2012, 05:14 PM
I think the oldest Xcode version that is supported for submissions is 3.2.6. I think any non-beta version after that is also supported.

firewood
Feb 23, 2012, 05:47 PM
You may need to upgrade to at least Snow Leopard in order to install a version of Xcode and the SDK that will allow you to submit iOS apps.