PDA

View Full Version : Samsung "Street Challenge" Pits iPhone Against Galaxy Note

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Feb 23, 2012, 03:25 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/23/samsung-street-challenge-pits-iphone-against-galaxy-note/)

Samsung has been taking on the iPhone -- and the perception of Apple's "fanboy" customer base -- with its advertising for several (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/23/samsung-mocks-iphone-fans-in-new-galaxy-s-ii-ad/) months (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/01/20/new-samsung-ad-targets-iphones-lack-of-built-in-turn-by-turn-directions/) now (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/05/samsung-continues-to-poke-fun-at-apple-fans-in-super-bowl-ad/).

In its latest ad, Samsung pits a user with the Samsung Galaxy Note -- the company's new 5.3" Android smartphone -- against an iPhone user, seeing which phone is better for a few tasks of questionable use.

l2gjn12QS9I
via Cult of Android (http://www.cultofandroid.com/4699/not-even-android-fans-will-defend-samsungs-latest-galaxy-note-spot-video/)

Article Link: Samsung "Street Challenge" Pits iPhone Against Galaxy Note (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/23/samsung-street-challenge-pits-iphone-against-galaxy-note/)

RoelJuun
Feb 23, 2012, 03:29 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

The size of that thing is ridiculous to compare with the size of an iPhone.

Menopause
Feb 23, 2012, 03:30 PM
5.3"?? :eek: Again, 5.3" ?? Are we Yetis?!

RossMc
Feb 23, 2012, 03:31 PM
That woman sounds like she wouldn't even know how to make a call on a phone never mind anything else.

TheOrioles33
Feb 23, 2012, 03:31 PM
These commercials are weak.

Menopause
Feb 23, 2012, 03:32 PM
In other words: 'I am depressed because my phone can't crop a head off and put it some place else'.

Jealous, upset, embarrassed and depressed ladies and gentlemen.

kylebshr
Feb 23, 2012, 03:34 PM
I'll bet you anything I can find an app in the appstore for every single one of those tasks.

gman27
Feb 23, 2012, 03:34 PM
Have you guys seen this?

HILARIOUS (http://www.thetechblock.com/articles/2012/samsungs-super-sized-galaxy-note-changed-my-life/)

Pared
Feb 23, 2012, 03:35 PM
So they find the most ignorant person on the street and ask them if they KNOW how to do things on their phone... and they don't. This really has nothing do with the phone - just the intelligence of the person holding the tool.

What a terrible spin - only in the world of marketing.

jamesryanbell
Feb 23, 2012, 03:35 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

Good luck trying convince the world your phone is better when 1) it's too big, 2) Android is second rate, 3) it's never going to have the feel and look of iPhone (just like the others), and 4) all the while you're making fun of Apple users.

Next thread.

NakedSnake
Feb 23, 2012, 03:36 PM
Unfortunately, the commercial highlights the skill of the user rather than the phone itself. Give the woman the Galaxy Note; I'm sure she still wouldn't be able to do any of those tasks.

CodexMonkey
Feb 23, 2012, 03:36 PM
I have a Mac. And Photoshop. Sure, phones need some extra functionality but I don't want to create birthday cards on one. What next? The Samsung Galaxy Note with built-in fan oven in case you get peckish when you're about and about?

Grow up, Samsung.

blahbrah
Feb 23, 2012, 03:37 PM
Ambush someone with tasks they were unaware were possible with their phone and then show them in a rehearsed demo "all the amazing things" you can do. Good work Samsung!

Kid A
Feb 23, 2012, 03:38 PM
street challenge!
which phone can actually fit in my freaking pocket?

djrod
Feb 23, 2012, 03:39 PM
Lady just open the App Store and stop embarrassing yourself! You can download stuff to behead your friends heads into your phone you know?

blahbrah
Feb 23, 2012, 03:40 PM
Also, it reeks of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihorvo2tEuA

Kid A
Feb 23, 2012, 03:40 PM
I have a Mac. And Photoshop. Sure, phones need some extra functionality but I don't want to create birthday cards on one. What next? The Samsung Galaxy Note with built-in fan oven in case you get peckish when you're about and about?

Grow up, Samsung.

but for those that DO what to create birthday cards on one, there are plenty of iOS apps for that.

WhoDaKat
Feb 23, 2012, 03:41 PM
Ok, wow. The guy on the Samsung, clearly, was ready for this little quasi-competition and the iPhone lady is just an actress they are paying to be an idiot. "WHAT... MY PHONE CAN'T DO THAT!"

Does that stupid, gigantic phone actually have some kind of native ability to crop my head off my picture and add it to someone else? Um, aren't there like a dozen apps that can do that sans stylus? Luckily for me, Apple is smart enough to keep the stupid crap out of the OS and let the apps handle that kind of thing.

If this is seriously the distinctions that Samsung wants to draw, then they need more help than just fixing their crappy devices. Oh, I can draw my own route out on a map. Yeah, thats something I've been missing! I've said to myself countless times, if only I could draw out my own route on this map with a 3" pencil. That dude should try, "hey Siri, how do I get here?".

Dresling
Feb 23, 2012, 03:43 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

To me it seems clear that Samsung has no intention of trying to convince Apple users to switch to Android, as much as they are just reassuring everybody else that Apple-fanboys are redicilous and it's cool to make fun of them. The message to Android users is clear to me; "Stay the course."

ChristianJapan
Feb 23, 2012, 03:43 PM
Too long
Too noisy
Too simple

Not convincing ...

*LTD*
Feb 23, 2012, 03:44 PM
Samsung trying to take on Apple's mindshare = losing proposition.

All Samsung is really achieving:

1) Hurting other Android OEMs

2) More free advertising for Apple.

baileyw813
Feb 23, 2012, 03:45 PM
Does anyone else remember when the original iPhone came out in '07 and everyone was saying how BIG it was and that it was a brick to carry around with you?! And that is with its 3.5" screen... What I find funny is that these same people and cell phone manufacturers are making their phones BIGGER and BIGGER. 5.3" REALLY?!

jamswirl
Feb 23, 2012, 03:45 PM
Personal message? Hmm, why don't you just call them? That would be nice.

ChristianJapan
Feb 23, 2012, 03:48 PM
Have you guys seen this?

HILARIOUS (http://www.thetechblock.com/articles/2012/samsungs-super-sized-galaxy-note-changed-my-life/)

Liked this one: "Next up: surfing. Literally."

Merthyrboy
Feb 23, 2012, 03:50 PM
For the second task couldn't she have used google maps with pins and current location then taken a screenshot? Also for the third could have used keynote. They could have picked someone with a little more knowledge than her as well. Oh well

ianogden
Feels like a bit of ********* to me.

1st Task, open up a draw/paint application and draw a picture, then screenshot it and send (or email/send as iMessage through the app if possible)

2nd Task, Find the directions on google and then send them the link, or phone them and direct them from there. Or use the find a friend app and text message them as they reach a turning.

3rd task, open in Keynote, edit and save as powerpoint (i think thats possible in keynote).

I think if I was in that, I'd be able to compete. One thing I'd say is that if I wanted to send a nice creative, memorable message to somebody, I'd hand deliver, or have the foresight to use the postal system. E-mail birthday greetings are not really fit for purpose and shows a clear lack of effort on the other's behalf. Also, i could just as easily whip out my iPad and get something really creative on the go through apps.

I'd question if that would fit in my pocket.

Samsung is clearly trying to compete. I wish Apple would just buy them, dissolve their mobile phone department and get it over with. Petty fools.

PaulGault

At 5.3" its more of a tablet than a phone and she's clearly stupid and probably couldn't do anything with a phone.

MacCurry
Feb 23, 2012, 03:54 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

Good luck trying convince the world your phone is better when 1) it's too big, 2) Android is second rate, 3) it's never going to have the feel and look of iPhone (just like the others), and 4) all the while you're making fun of Apple users.

Next thread.

1) Having choice is a great thing. The Galaxy Note isn't for everyone, but for some its perfect who don't want to carry 2 devices being a tablet and phone.

2) How is Android 2nd rate? The basics of phone, contacts, and calendar it does just as well if not better. With ICS 4.0 it is a superior user experience over iOS 5.

3) That is fine if you like the look of the iPhone.

4) The iPhone is fair game for Samsung and others to go after as it has the most market share in the US. MS will do it soon to.

The problem with most iOS users is that the whole thing has become a religion as opposed to using what technologies will work the best for them. None of the manufacturers have a lock on this.

macbeta
Feb 23, 2012, 03:55 PM
I would be amazed if that woman could call her mom :confused:

"Waah? you can make phone calls on that thing?"

iDuel
Feb 23, 2012, 03:56 PM
I doubt that they picked that woman off from the street.:rolleyes:

dweisen1
Feb 23, 2012, 03:58 PM
Does that galaxy come with a shoulder strap?

matrakas4
Feb 23, 2012, 03:59 PM
So they put a woman that clearly doesn't know much about her iPhone next to a guy that seems to have done what he did plenty of times. Very clever of you samsung. And good job bringing back something no one has used in years.

Tom8

Did anyone notice the scrolling lag on the Note when the guy was scrolling the PowerPoint? They quickly moved the camera to a different view point so you couldn't really see.

charlituna
These commercials are weak.

Yep. That it was made by Samsung means that it is very possible that that guy knew the game before hand and had figured out how to do it before hand. and that they knowingly picked someone that had never used an iPhone etc to load the score.

Apple...
Feb 23, 2012, 04:01 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

They honestly expect us to believe they randomly found this person on the streets? :eek:

MacCurry
Feb 23, 2012, 04:04 PM

<rant snipped>

Samsung is clearly trying to compete. I wish Apple would just buy them, dissolve their mobile phone department and get it over with. Petty fools.

Samsung has assets of $343 billion, Apple has assets of $140 billion. So, please tell me how you plan to advise Mr. Tim Cook on how to run his company? Next time think before posting.

thekris1234
Feb 23, 2012, 04:05 PM
Just like every review I've seen, Galaxy Note is not a tablet, Nor is it a phone.

It's in a horrible "what the **** do I do with this" league of its own.

Next up, Samsung compares the Galaxy Note to the Panasonic Viera TV.

Another steamy pile to fly out of Samsungs marketing department who don't realise their own company makes stuff for this phone.

Apple...
Feb 23, 2012, 04:06 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

<rant snipped>

Samsung has assets of $343 billion, Apple has assets of $140 billion. So, please tell me how you plan to advise Mr. Tim Cook on how to run his company? Next time think before posting.

Today's lesson: Apple can't buy everything. :rolleyes:

ianogden
Feb 23, 2012, 04:07 PM

It's called humour, not business advice.

bhsu21
Feb 23, 2012, 04:11 PM

She probably jus texts, FB, and makes phone calls. Not the best person to represent avid iPhone users.

The dude is probably an actor trained in using the device.

Yep way to show how much more great Samsung phones are.

Dr McKay
Feb 23, 2012, 04:15 PM

Sssshhh... Here on Mac Rumors, Apple can buy anything, even things that aren't for sale, and to hell with monopoly laws. ;)

Mike Oxard
Feb 23, 2012, 04:15 PM
Todays Dilbert is good:

http://search.dilbert.com/search?day1=23&mth1=02&yr1=2012&day2=23&mth2=02&yr2=2012&x=27&y=8

MonkeyBrainz
Feb 23, 2012, 04:20 PM
Todays Dilbert is good:

http://search.dilbert.com/search?day1=23&mth1=02&yr1=2012&day2=23&mth2=02&yr2=2012&x=27&y=8

http://i42.tinypic.com/73j61s.png

pullfocus
Feb 23, 2012, 04:22 PM
"Nobody wants a stylus."

Also, I want something I can fit comfortably in my pocket, not something the size of a Buick Skylark.

nickpro
Feb 23, 2012, 04:23 PM
that commercial is just wrong in so many ways its not even funny, HOWEVER i think it will be effective with a lot of impressionable people that are easily impressed by stupid ***** like unusably large screens and being able to create funny pictures on your cell phone.

Mike Oxard
Feb 23, 2012, 04:23 PM
Ta, I couldn't work out how to do that!!

Neuro
Feb 23, 2012, 04:36 PM
I think the point is the Note has lots of interesting and innovative built-in functionality, whereas the iPhone is just a content purchasing device. The Note is too big for many people, but the iPhone is too small and dated for many technology fans. The advert appeals to people who like to 'think different', which rules out most recent Apple fans.

HiRez
Feb 23, 2012, 04:37 PM
Did anyone notice the scrolling lag on the Note when the guy was scrolling the PowerPoint? They quickly moved the camera to a different view point so you couldn't really see.

Yep, not just lag but it's completely unresponsive to his second scroll gesture.

Anyway, terrible ad and the audio is really annoying. I guess that's supposed to make it feel "real". Samsung is just weird, is anyone really impressed by this? Cutting out heads to text message, really?

TopToffee
Feb 23, 2012, 04:46 PM
She's depressed because "her phone can't do that"

I'm depressed because somewhere in the world, someone gets paid an OBSCENE amount of money to come up with Samsung's advertising campaigns.

canadan
Feb 23, 2012, 04:48 PM

Can you fit that monstrosity in your front jean pocket? Oh, your "phone" can't do that?

lordofthereef
Feb 23, 2012, 04:56 PM
that commercial is just wrong in so many ways its not even funny, HOWEVER i think it will be effective with a lot of impressionable people that are easily impressed by stupid ***** like unusably large screens and being able to create funny pictures on your cell phone.

Look at Apple's 4S commercials. They are almost all revolving completely around Siri, a service that is often down, and can't do half the stuff that the watcher is lead to believe it will do for him. All the while, Siri is still considered beta, another thing that Apple doesn't tell you. Let's be reasonable. It's marketing. Everybody does it.

kristoffer4
Feb 23, 2012, 04:56 PM
Image (http://i42.tinypic.com/73j61s.png)

And so the phablet was borne. :)

dweisen1
Feb 23, 2012, 05:03 PM
Sssshhh... Here on Mac Rumors, Apple can buy anything, even things that aren't for sale, and to hell with monopoly laws. ;)

Apple should buy Greece and name the whole country Apple:apple:

Sedulous
Feb 23, 2012, 05:09 PM

That would be a big Apple Store.

atomwork
Feb 23, 2012, 05:10 PM

Wow. That's the dumbest commercial ever. Why would I ever want to do that with my phone? The pen was already annoying with my Palm back in the days.

rman726
Feb 23, 2012, 05:11 PM
I went to the AT&T store a couple days ago to check out the Note. For some reason they didn't even have any on display. For how much Samsung is advertising the Note, they might want to send out a memo to AT&T that they should at least put the Note out for customers to see.

Anyways, back to my point... I asked an employee if they had them in stock. She went into the back room and brought one out. I asked if I could put it in my pocket and walk around the store for a minute, which she let me do. Needless to say, and I don't have skinny jeans, the phone was way too obviously in my pocket. It was uncomfortable to sit down with. Honestly, they should add some pink or purple to the case and market it as a woman's phone, because I can't see anyone that doesn't carry a purse around using that thing. I personally don't care too much about the screen size requiring two hands because I usually use my phone with both hands regardless. But the thing was just too massive to carry around in my pockets.

Urmom.com
Feb 23, 2012, 05:16 PM

How is it I feel stupid for samsung after this commercial? Really? You think anybody is going to fall for the note when you're only showing stupid **** I can do that nobody cares about. Poke fun at apple all you want, there is a reason apple is the most successful business in the world now with close to 100 billion in CASH assets accrued In only a decade. They makes things people want, and can't screw up! That's the difference between Windows and OSX, yes windows has more capability, but we all know which system runs better, because it doesn't try to do too much, it just works!

Urmom.com
Feb 23, 2012, 05:18 PM

Perhaps you should check your facts. Apple is worth over 400 billion, the highest net worth in the worth and 100 billion in cash assets.

nickelt
Feb 23, 2012, 05:19 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

They cant buy Samsung but geezus my next door neighbour prob could Greece. But who would want to right now????

fobfob
Feb 23, 2012, 05:25 PM

Nothing against the Samsung device, if people like it and the form factor I say good for them and good for Samsung.

But this ad is clearly a troll. There is more wrong with it than right with it.
1. The challenges are obscure, rarely required tasks. The OS should NOT be proficient at sending greeting cards. There is an app for that. Same with navigation.
2. The Samsung Note guy is clearly a shill, they even admitted giving the device to him before hand to practice on.
3. Whether the girl is also planted is irrelevant. I'm happy to concede that it is possible to find someone on the street with that level of knowledge and savvy with his/her iphone.
4. So it boils down to: One person doesn't know how to use their iPhone and that's supposed to convince us the iPhone is inferior? The logic is mind boggling.

dokujaryu
Feb 23, 2012, 05:30 PM
I'm confused. Wouldn't any other Android also fail at this task?

Oh well, more power to them. Hope they sell a lot of phones.

Pesky0.o
Feb 23, 2012, 05:33 PM

The last time I used a stylus was like 10 years ago Samsung just stick to making tv an leave the phones to apple = )

ianogden
Feb 23, 2012, 05:38 PM
I went to the AT&T store a couple days ago to check out the Note. For some reason they didn't even have any on display. For how much Samsung is advertising the Note, they might want to send out a memo to AT&T that they should at least put the Note out for customers to see.

They won't have any on display because they don't want people to see how big it is compared to all the other phones on the shelves. They'll want you to look online or at a picture so the size isn't conceivable without a ruler. It's so funny how marketing works, and it's an insanely evil profession (unfortunately I shoot the video side, but don't conceive the evil concepts, so I'm innocent).

----------

The last time I used a stylus was like 10 years ago Samsung just stick to making tv an leave the phones to apple = )

The last time I used a stylus was about 10 years ago, unfortunately it was the first time and it remains lost ever since. Not the future, but the past. I love how companies re hash old technology and call it new. Makes me feel very proud of the human race and its advances.

----------

The last time I used a stylus was about 10 years ago, unfortunately it was the first time and it remains lost ever since. Not the future, but the past. I love how companies re hash old technology and call it new. Makes me feel very proud of the human race and its advances.

WeegieMac
Feb 23, 2012, 05:39 PM
"I can't do dat. My phone can't do dat"!

Shut. The. ******. Up.

timd.mackey
Feb 23, 2012, 05:46 PM
They didn't show the dozen other takes where he drops his stylus.

ArtOfWarfare
Feb 23, 2012, 05:51 PM
Challenges:
- Crop one image and drag and drop it on another.
Samsung: Can do it out of the box?
iPhone: Go to the app store.
+1 for the Samsung.

(Although to be fair, the iPhone, as of iOS 5, does in fact have native RTF. Open mail, highlight the text to apply bold or underline or italics to, hit the right arrow, and select the effect - it's not much but it's better than nothing.)

- Map directions.
Samsung: Draw the route by hand. Lines aren't neat and the route could be wrong.
iPhone: Insert start and end addresses. Lines are perfect and the route is as good as one from Google maps.
+1 for the iPhone.

- Swap slides.
iPhone: Download Keynote or some other slideshow editor from the app store.
+1 for the Samsung.

The final score from Samsung's rigged challenge: 2 for the Samsung, 1 for the iPhone. Although all of the victories are pretty weak given they only win because such functionality is out of the box, whereas it's a tie if app downloads are allowed.

NBarnes21
Feb 23, 2012, 05:52 PM
cool stylus dude

Saladinos
Feb 23, 2012, 06:06 PM
You know what the amazing thing is? My mum has an iPhone 4. She wouldn't know how to do things like composing layered photos on her Windows PC, but she definitely would (hell, she already does :facepalm: ) on her iPhone.

That dude clearly works for Samsung. "I'm just going to screenshot that"... seriously? I don't know one non-geek who regularly uses the screenshot function in any sort of workflow.

----------

2nd Task, Find the directions on google and then send them the link, or phone them and direct them from there. Or use the find a friend app and text message them as they reach a turning.

Well, your friend needs a smartphone to receive it on the go. You can iMessage (or email if they don't have an iPhone) a place from Google Maps, and then they can get the directions using their current location (makes sense, right? I don't usually want to send a particular route, I want to send a destination)

SamVictor
Feb 23, 2012, 06:15 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Stupid ***** Samsung

rmatosinhos
Feb 23, 2012, 06:21 PM
"áí dónt thínk í cán dó thát!"

I think that "lady" was well payed to "dó thát!"

óh gód... "áí dónt thínk í cán dó thát!"

This lady can't even think... in her mind is just, inhale, exhale.... or she'll die!

JTToft
Feb 23, 2012, 06:24 PM
That video is about the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

nagromme
Feb 23, 2012, 06:25 PM
Many people are missing the bigger picture here: Samsung is NOT copying Apple ads! They’re going their own route!

Let’s hope that habit penetrates deeper into their design teams, and we’ll see Samsung bringing some welcome variety to the marketplace! (Not just monster-sizing the iPhone 4 styling, right down to the white surfaces, while copying so many other details of Apple products, their accessories, and even their packaging.) Take a cue from plenty of other companies, Samsung: Apple’s designs are not the only way to make a product!

MonkeyBrainz
Feb 23, 2012, 06:30 PM
That video is about the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

Yeah... that was painful to watch.

Many people are missing the bigger picture here: Samsung is NOT copying Apple ads! They’re going their own route!

Be that as it may, even if Apple's ads are smug, they're not embarrassing to watch. This was just terrible.

OrangeSVTguy
Feb 23, 2012, 06:32 PM
Does that galaxy come with a shoulder strap?

Hahaha

samh004
Feb 23, 2012, 06:43 PM
I want to comment and not seem like a fanboy, just ignoring everything in the ad, however, save for the first task, which I wouldn’t know how to replicate (save for searching for an appropriate app), the other two tasks are easy on the iPhone, and I think using Maps to highlight the route rather than drawing in with a thine blue line would work so much better! All he did was screenshot it in the end too, while surely sending an address that will show you how to get to the location from wherever you are has to have it’s benefits?

I realise it has to portray Samsung in a good light, and it’s just marketing so doesn’t have to be truthful, but they could have done much better… chosen things (I don’t know which things) the iPhone can’t do!

samcraig
Feb 23, 2012, 06:43 PM
Bad commercial. Way too heavily handed. And everything the note can do IN THE COMMERCIAL - the iPhone can do too.

They picked the wrong things to highlight. They also - to at least make it APPEAR less obvious - should have had several people - not just one "newbie" iPhone user.

If they had found some unique aspects of the Note AND pitted it against several people with their iPhones - they could have had a great commercial. Whether you agreed with the premise of features being important enough.

This commercial is just too over the top.

Buildbright
Feb 23, 2012, 06:48 PM
Whats next a Samsung laptop vs an ipod touch. lol But dont forget the laughing clueless women. I bet she thinks the Note has bigger WIFIS.

No matter if she had a phone from the future and the other guy had a Motorola Razr the phone is only as smart as the user.

I like the Note but this ad makes me mad because I will have to hear some dumb person recite it to me as why the iPhone sux. Smartphones are becoming the new politics.

MythicFrost
Feb 23, 2012, 06:58 PM
That was just terrible, she started saying "I can't do that", when he was just searching the web.

TheReadyPrompt
Feb 23, 2012, 07:18 PM
Samsung: We want to reach out to Apple iPhone users and get them to buy our products. What do we do?

Ad Agency: Let's run TV spots insulting them.

Samsung: ... brilliant!

[ And before some lamebrain brings up the Mac vs. PC ads, a reminder that Hodgman and Long were portraying the platforms, not their users. ]

mac26
Feb 23, 2012, 07:29 PM
Why was that man using a dinosaur to control the note, oh wait that's a stylus! haven't seen those in a while! :D;):p

silver8ack
Feb 23, 2012, 07:37 PM

The Note is a phone? Hahahaha.

tqmcguire
Feb 23, 2012, 07:38 PM
I don't advocate violence... but that complete MORON needs smacked in the face and told to SHUT UP! I can't remember being this annoyed in a long time. MY PHONE CAN'T DO THAT! No, you're an idiot!

Makosuke
Feb 23, 2012, 07:40 PM
To me it seems clear that Samsung has no intention of trying to convince Apple users to switch to Android, as much as they are just reassuring everybody else that Apple-fanboys are redicilous and it's cool to make fun of them.Bingo. Insulting customers of another company isn't going to convince them to buy your product, it'll just make them defensive and/or angry. True, really, of pretty much any kind of persuasion. But insulting the "other side" does tend to make you feel better for the choice you already made.

That said, this tactic probably would be better as a stop-loss ad for existing Samsung products on cell phone carriers that now have the 4S, rather than for an entirely new product. Especially one that looks comically oversized.

It's notable that the famous I'm A Mac ads didn't make fun of PC owners, they made fun of the PC itself, and even then PC was sort of a likable doofus. Made easier, of course, by the fact that the average Windows user already hated his/her own PC--I've rarely talked to a non-geek who has any affection whatsoever for Windows other than a general sense of familiarity.

Many people are missing the bigger picture here: Samsung is NOT copying Apple ads! They’re going their own route!Ooh, I didn't think of it that way. Good point--now at least they can say they're doing something (current) that isn't blatantly derivative of another market leader.

marksman
Feb 23, 2012, 08:04 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

5.3" screen on a 'phone' = pet the rabbit George?

horace528
Feb 23, 2012, 08:06 PM
With just the right apps, like many other people replied, even a kid can do all those things.
Also, At LEAST try doing the job, not just saying "I can't do that, I just can't do that."

smitha96
Feb 23, 2012, 08:07 PM
Is anyone else bothered by the not-so-subtle racist undertones in this ad? I find it pretty offensive really...

marksman
Feb 23, 2012, 08:14 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Grow up, Samsung.

but for those that DO what to create birthday cards on one, there are plenty of iOS apps for that.

Including iCards

thekev
Feb 23, 2012, 08:16 PM

Next thread.

Android seems to be doing okay in terms of number of people who buy them, and it's not exactly cheaper than the iphone. It's just not subsidized quite as heavily on some phones. Size has always seemed to be a thing with mobile phones. They started off gigantic, went down to tiny form factors, then when smart phones increased in popularity it went the other direction. They just kind of throw options out there to see what sells.

Is anyone else bothered by the not-so-subtle racist undertones in this ad? I find it pretty offensive really...

They definitely went stereotypical, but I notice it in a lot of other things on television as well. It's not only races. It's also other cultures. I don't mean anything truly unfamiliar to most of those living in the US. They even do this with Canadians (outside of obvious parody).

marksman
Feb 23, 2012, 08:18 PM

Next thread.

1) Having choice is a great thing. The Galaxy Note isn't for everyone, but for some its perfect who don't want to carry 2 devices being a tablet and phone.

2) How is Android 2nd rate? The basics of phone, contacts, and calendar it does just as well if not better. With ICS 4.0 it is a superior user experience over iOS 5.

4) The iPhone is fair game for Samsung and others to go after as it has the most market share in the US. MS will do it soon to.

The problem with most iOS users is that the whole thing has become a religion as opposed to using what technologies will work the best for them. None of the manufacturers have a lock on this.

So for people who don't want to carry two devices they carry one that is a bad phone and bad tablet.

<rant snipped>

Actually apple could more easily buy Samsung than vice versa. People who don't think it would be possible for apple to buy Samsung (leaving out government issues and regulations) don't understand how businesses work and how they are bought and sold.

MonkeyBrainz
Feb 23, 2012, 08:26 PM

Didn't really think about it, but yes... that may have also contributed to my cringing during the video. :/

macmastersam
Feb 23, 2012, 08:26 PM

And exactly how is apple not pissed off because of this ad?

griz
Feb 23, 2012, 08:33 PM

Apple's own Cards app can make a very nice birthday card with a photo and classy font.
Google maps can do the exact same think the guy with the Note did.
And Office squared Plus is a free PowerPoint editor for the iPhone.

Just because some random person who only uses their smart phone to make phone calls can't do it doesn't mean it can't be done.
I'm betting her phone has only the stock app set in it and she hasn't even been to the app store.

Hey Samsung, take your well spun add out in front of an Apple store and let's see how it goes.

Apple...
Feb 23, 2012, 08:37 PM

Why would they be? They're probably laughing.

Anyways, if I'm ever walking around someday, and happen to see them making a similar commercial, I will turn into Remi Gaillard's "Urban Touchdown (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_VTH52TGOQ)", run up, grab the Note, smash it on the concrete, and runaway screaming "Oh!".

Peace
Feb 23, 2012, 08:37 PM

why should they be ? Its the human race that should marvel at the idiocy of the commercial in the first place.

did anybody notice that this commercial seemed similar to the windows commercials from a couple of years ago ?

seems like the same ad agency made both.

MordechaiCarver
Feb 23, 2012, 08:45 PM
Soooo...what happens when the Samsung user loses the stylus?

"My phone can't do that (anymore)"! :(

Caliber26
Feb 23, 2012, 08:46 PM
She has got to be the most annoying person in a commercial, ever, with that phony giggling and her nonstop "I/my phone can't do that!!".

FWIW, though, the guy with the Note is pretty cute.

sazivad
Feb 23, 2012, 09:01 PM
...(1) With ICS 4.0 it is a superior user experience over iOS 5...
<snip>
...(2) The problem with most iOS users is that the whole thing has become a religion...
(1) is an opinion, which you are entitled to, but is not fact.
(2) is a generalization, which may appear to be true but doesn't really have any evidence to back it up (that I'm aware of).

MACENZ
Feb 23, 2012, 09:03 PM
****..I own a iphone 3GS and I still think its the best phone on the market...PERIOD!! The design is like no other and its the best version of the ice breaker in this market. Personally, it will be sad to let it go, but the only way i would ever consider to move to another phone, it will have to blow my mind and right now nothing has. I still believe in Steve's original idea and I will stick with it till she dies out of respect!!

retry4
Feb 23, 2012, 09:06 PM
WTF?!?

That dumb commercial has no point.

And why is that guy holding a tv in his hand... Oh wait... It's supposed to be a PHONE. IT HAS THE HUGEST SCREEN IN THE WORLD.

sazivad
Feb 23, 2012, 09:07 PM
Including iCards
The actual Cards app, by Apple, is right here (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cards/id464957209?mt=8).

(Free Apple ad FTW :D:apple::eek:)

Laird Knox
Feb 23, 2012, 09:21 PM
Yep. That it was made by Samsung means that it is very possible that that guy knew the game before hand and had figured out how to do it before hand. and that they knowingly picked someone that had never used an iPhone etc to load the score.

The dude is probably an actor trained in using the device.

That dude clearly works for Samsung. "I'm just going to screenshot that"... seriously? I don't know one non-geek who regularly uses the screenshot function in any sort of workflow.

You all think that was a setup? Come on, they wouldn't do any such thing. In fact, they even state this at the end of the commercial:

Galaxy Note users provided Galaxy Note for a day, provided minor hands-on training and pre-briefed on the exercises. Participants compensated but dialogue unscripted. Non-Galaxy Note participants used their own device.

Oh wait a minute...

kevinkt
Feb 23, 2012, 09:26 PM
Eating gravel was more worthwhile than watching this.

mrsir2009
Feb 23, 2012, 10:03 PM
How many times did she say "my phone can't do that"?

charlituna
Feb 23, 2012, 10:24 PM
How many times did she say "my phone can't do that"?

too many times, which is part of how it is clear it was a set up. They paid her to act like she's a moron. Just like they pay actors to act like they are impressed at what the guy that walks up to the 'dumb' line can do.

SideStepSociety
Feb 23, 2012, 11:34 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Nothing more productive than standing in the street on your way to work, pasting your face into a picture and sending it to some snot nosed relative you probably never see.

I can see this feature being very useful and practical on a phone.

AppleRocks2011
Feb 23, 2012, 11:36 PM
This commercial was surprising! I have used an android device just so see how it works, but I can honestly say that the iPhone is the superior product.

A screenshot and keynote presentation would have blown the other phone out of the water!

Finally, why the heck would someone design a phone which uses a stulus. Serioulsy? This isn't 2003!

The iPhone is amazing and will always be!

kevinkt
Feb 23, 2012, 11:37 PM
Still eating gravel!!!!!!

BC2009
Feb 24, 2012, 12:01 AM

You have to admit that Samsung really had to change their commercials up a bit. After Apple reporting having sold 37 million iPhones last quarter, Samsung could not afford to hire enough actors to stand in line. If they had too few, then Apple would have got them on false advertising.

Invator
Feb 24, 2012, 12:37 AM
They might as well have given the iPhone to a monkey. Probably it would get more results...

skrossa
Feb 24, 2012, 12:57 AM
And if you do need/want a stylus**, there is a much more elegant (and probably more precise) one available that works with iPhones, iPads, and similar touch-screen devices: Adonit has a whole range of "Jot" styli, including the pressure sensitive Jot Touch ( http://adonit.net/product/jot-touch/ )

So, nothing the Note does that an iPhone doesn't do (better) --including fit in your pocket.

**For example, if one is an artist and would like to draw with a pen rather than a finger on your iPad…

majkom
Feb 24, 2012, 01:40 AM

Task no.4 - scroll without lag.
Samsung guy: Oh, I cant do that!

baryon
Feb 24, 2012, 03:20 AM
Great ad strategy:

Find dumbest person on planet
Give her competition's phone
Ask her to do an obscure task that she even admits never having needed to do
Pitch her against a guy who has been previously trained on those exact tasks
Give him a stylus (important!)

electrovir
Feb 24, 2012, 03:37 AM
groundbreaking S pen!!! oh no!

bgr90
Feb 24, 2012, 03:51 AM
Task 1.
For your friend firstly take a beautiful picture on the iPhone 4S's brilliant 8 megapixel camera. Once you have a photo open Apple's "Cards" App select birthday and choose the design you like, insert your photo, add some text and send a lovely custom birthday card to your friend which I'm sure they would appreciate more than your e-card with your head merged onto someone else's body.

Task 2.
Open "Maps", plot the route, screenshot then Message/iMessage your friend the directions.

Task 3.
Open "Keynote" and edit what ever you want...
_____

Thank God these awful adverts are not allowed in the UK!

SBlue1
Feb 24, 2012, 04:32 AM
That woman sounds like she wouldn't even know how to make a call on a phone never mind anything else.

she is a typical phone user like my co-worker or my neighbor. they just use it to make calls and text. they are happy with their phones.

horace528
Feb 24, 2012, 05:03 AM
Have you guys seen this?

I think the writer of that article was payed to write that.
Maybe not, but I think so.

Dr McKay
Feb 24, 2012, 05:12 AM

Can you fit that monstrosity in your front jean pocket? Oh, your "phone" can't do that?

I probably could, but then again I don't wear size 0 skinny jeans. When I put my iPhone in my pocket the first thing it does is fall over onto its side. So plenty of room in there.

MasterHowl
Feb 24, 2012, 05:54 AM
And just when you think Samsung adverts can't get any worse... oh dear.

farleysmaster
Feb 24, 2012, 06:11 AM
Just been watching the IT crowd and wondering if this Street Challenge is anything like Street Countdown. It's like Countdown, but in the street!

fatboyslick
Feb 24, 2012, 06:13 AM
So they find the most ignorant person on the street and ask them if they KNOW how to do things on their phone... and they don't. This really has nothing do with the phone - just the intelligence of the person holding the tool.

What a terrible spin - only in the world of marketing.

As a marketeer i'm ashamed by this advert. Samsung are not being true to themselves and have failed to address the golden rule that you can't kid your audience.

Samsung need to focus less on iPhones and just concentrate on their own USPs

noodlelegs
Feb 24, 2012, 06:15 AM
Also, it reeks of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihorvo2tEuA

Kim DotCom at :23?

JForestZ34
Feb 24, 2012, 07:57 AM

I'm reading all these posts and I must say I've never seen such blind apple love in all my life. I'm willing to bet that if apple came out with this size first EVERYONE would be saying how it's a great size. If apple decided to use a stylus everyone would be saying " how did I live so long without one"

It's pathetic that apple fans can be so blind.

Oh and I'm sure apple has never or would never have someone demonstrate how to use their product without having some first hand knowledge on what it did or how to do it.

You all think apple is perfect in every way.

Now let's see if apple brings out a bigger device how many of you will say its a perfect size after all you've said about the other devices being to big and the iPhone is the perfect size.

decafjava
Feb 24, 2012, 08:24 AM

I'm willing to bet that if apple came out with this size first EVERYONE would be saying how it's a great size. If apple decided to use a stylus everyone would be saying " how did I live so long without one"

You lose-I don't want an ipad cause I think it's too bulky for my daily needs-MAYBE a Kindle (yes a non-Apple product then again I have an HP desktop) but I wouldn't want it always with me. Sure I would be happy if the iPhone was a bit bigger but not that big...

As for the stylus. Well I had a Palm Pilot and hated it.

mrxak
Feb 24, 2012, 08:26 AM

I'm reading all these posts and I must say I've never seen such blind apple love in all my life. I'm willing to bet that if apple came out with this size first EVERYONE would be saying how it's a great size. If apple decided to use a stylus everyone would be saying " how did I live so long without one"

Oh and I'm sure apple has never or would never have someone demonstrate how to use their product without having some first hand knowledge on what it did or how to do it.

You all think apple is perfect in every way.

Now let's see if apple brings out a bigger device how many of you will say its a perfect size after all you've said about the other devices being to big and the iPhone is the perfect size.

Apple experimented with a lot of different sizes before settling on the one they did. The reason? Ease of use. The average person's thumb can reach every corner holding it portrait, and two thumbs can reach all parts of the screen in landscape. Apple's not going to make a bigger one, and if they did, a lot of people would not buy it. I would not buy it, for the same reason I don't buy 17" laptops. Bigger is not always better, and what matters is portability.

But nice trolling. I notice you're posting from an iPhone.

jephrey
Feb 24, 2012, 08:38 AM
This is not blind Apple love.
Personally, I wouldn't "argue" that the size is too big. If Apple's device size changed a bit, I'd accept that. Might be disappointed if it was that big, might not.

The stylus... meh. I think it's been proven over the last years that a stylus isn't really needed for normal everyday tasks. One company includes one with their phone and another doesnt... But you can get one if you really want it.

The content of the commercial however is really bogus. An ad should highlight what your device can do better or more efficiently than the other, yet this ad simply compares the proficiency of the users. I really hope that others are smart enough to see that.

Visions of Idiocracy. Anyone want to go get a Starbucks?

atomwork
Feb 24, 2012, 08:38 AM

HISTORY: It's a community spirit that has grown over many years being looks down at and has something to do that back in the day we all were designers working on Macs.

However, moving to your statement, there are good uses for PENs. Like this one for example from WACOM:

http://www.wacom.com/en/Products/Bamboo/BambooPaper/iPad.aspx

The point SAMSUNG wants to make is to be cooler than stupid apple users (how they see us in their commercials) because we don't use a pen to move someones head. It's just a bad commercial. They highlight a pseudo USP in their marketing campaign. Zero emotions. Trashing other target audience people. Seriously, if you want me to switch, don't trash my products. Especially not with customers having an emotional brand attachment. Wouldn't work with Nike either.

mrxak
Feb 24, 2012, 08:44 AM
Samsung Guy: "Excuse me sir, I see you have an iPhone there. We're from Samsung and we're trying to compare our phone to the iPhone. Could we pay you $20 for a few moments of your time?"

iPhone User: "Yeah, okay."

Samsung Guy: "Let's say it's your cousin's birthday today, and you want to send them a customized message."

iPhone User: "Oh, it actually is my cousin's birthday today. I sent him a nice custom card in the mail with Apple's free app, Cards. It's got a photo of the two of us on a family reunion trip we had earlier this year, and a personalized message inside. It's embossed, really nice, he showed it to me on FaceTime this morning when he video called to thank me."

Samsung Guy: "Er, uh, moving on. Let's say you want to tell your friends how to get from point A to point B here in the city. Like a walking map."

iPhone User: "Oh, I don't need to send them a walking map. All my friends have iPhones so they'll just ask Siri how to get there."

Samsung Guy: "Uh… well…. let's see how well you do PowerPoint. Load up a presentation and move some slides around."

iPhone User: "Sure, I'll just do that in Keynote. Yup, done. Oh, yours is still trying to load?"

Android User: "Dang, that Keynote looks way better than my PowerPoint."

Samsung Guy: "Okay, we can't use any of this footage, let's find somebody else. Hey, that lady over there looks borderline retarded. Let's go ask her if she's got an iPhone. Man, why did the execs send us out here to do such a stupid challenge we can't possibly win?"

Android User: "Oops, I dropped the stylus again down another storm drain. Quick, I need another."

Pegamush
Feb 24, 2012, 08:47 AM
that's easy, given that a major part of iphone users are just stupid rich people who buy it just because it's cool.
since ios 5 you don't need a pc to start your iphone, i mean, what do you need a smartphone for, if you don't even have a computer?
that also reflects on the poor quality/usefulness of most of apps you can find on the store, mostly garbage, fuss to impress friends, laugh once and then forget.

Winni
Feb 24, 2012, 08:49 AM
I'll bet you anything I can find an app in the appstore for every single one of those tasks.

The point is that you don't have to look for apps to do that on a Galaxy Note. It already has them.

Amazing Iceman
Feb 24, 2012, 08:49 AM

Most likely she was given new clothes and $10 for saying her lines. The guy filming is also guarding her shopping cart containing all her stuff.

Winni
Feb 24, 2012, 08:50 AM
5.3"?? :eek: Again, 5.3" ?? Are we Yetis?!

It's the perfect mix of a phone and a tablet and actually useful. Especially when you're on 24/7 on call duty and need to do real stuff on the road. That thing can replace a notebook in many situations.

Amazing Iceman
Feb 24, 2012, 08:57 AM
This is not blind Apple love.
Personally, I wouldn't "argue" that the size is too big. If Apple's device size changed a bit, I'd accept that. Might be disappointed if it was that big, might not.

The stylus... meh. I think it's been proven over the last years that a stylus isn't really needed for normal everyday tasks. One company includes one with their phone and another doesnt... But you can get one if you really want it.

The content of the commercial however is really bogus. An ad should highlight what your device can do better or more efficiently than the other, yet this ad simply compares the proficiency of the users. I really hope that others are smart enough to see that.

Visions of Idiocracy. Anyone want to go get a Starbucks?

Real iPhone User: "Hey, there's an app for that!".
Girl on video: "What's an app?"
Samsung guy: "Shh! Be quiet or you won't get paid!"
Girl on video: "But I want to know!"
Samsung guy to cameraman: "Cut!"

Pegamush
Feb 24, 2012, 08:58 AM
iPhone User: "Oh, I don't need to send them a walking map. All my friends have iPhones so they'll just ask Siri how to get there."

i don't know where you live, but you cannot pretend all your friends to have an iphone 4s. better if you said to use whatsapp, which runs on every smartphone..

Amazing Iceman
Feb 24, 2012, 09:01 AM
It's the perfect mix of a phone and a tablet and actually useful. Especially when you're on 24/7 on call duty and need to do real stuff on the road. That thing can replace a notebook in many situations.

Get a life! :D

----------

i don't know where you live, but you cannot pretend all your friends to have an iphone 4s. better if you said to use whatsapp, which runs on every smartphone..

Lol, maybe you should find new friends.
Anyway, send them a walking map once, and you'll suddenly become their new On-Star Service.

----------

The point is that you don't have to look for apps to do that on a Galaxy Note. It already has them.

It already has it, together with a ton of bloatware.

Winni
Feb 24, 2012, 09:02 AM

1) Who cares. Samsung builds the best Android phones. End of discussion.

2) Actually, no. After this add, even the dumbest iPhone user (who is NOT a die-hard-impossible-to-convince-otherwise-fanboy) gets the message that Apple phones are castrated devices by design. The Galaxy Note isn't.

But it's amazing. When Apple did the I'm a Mac ads, everybody found them cool. Now somebody returns the favor to Apple - and unlike Apple can even demonstrate features that the iPhone simply doesn't have - the Apple crowd enters a collective state of whining.

Get over it, guys. You're only consumers, and both the iPhone and the Note are just soon-to-be-forgotten throw-away products. Buying **** is not a lifestyle. It's not a religion. It will not bring you enlightenment. It will not make you a better or more successful or happier person.

All that being said, I did not even have to see a single ad from Samsung to convince me that they sell the superior product. Dozens of magazine review paved the way for them, and after I was able to compare an older Galaxy S with my iPhone 3G I was sold on both Android and Samsung. When I compare current iPhone 4/4s models with current Galaxys, the current iPhones appear even less attractive. iOS feels old and boring. And it's still a castrated, restricted platform that does not give its user space to breathe.

sweetbrat
Feb 24, 2012, 09:04 AM
that's easy, given that a major part of iphone users are just stupid rich people who buy it just because it's cool.
since ios 5 you don't need a pc to start your iphone, i mean, what do you need a smartphone for, if you don't even have a computer?
that also reflects on the poor quality/usefulness of most of apps you can find on the store, mostly garbage, fuss to impress friends, laugh once and then forget.

You are kidding, right? I mean, I really, really hope you're kidding. Otherwise this is one of the most ridiculous posts I've ever read. I could point out the reasons why, but I'm going to just hope that this is one of those sarcastic responses that are misinterpreted on the internet.

Amazing Iceman
Feb 24, 2012, 09:08 AM

2) Actually, no. After this add, even the dumbest iPhone user (who is NOT a die-hard-impossible-to-convince-otherwise-fanboy) gets the message that Apple phones are castrated devices by design. The Galaxy Note isn't.

But it's amazing. When Apple did the I'm a Mac ads, everybody found them cool. Now somebody returns the favor to Apple - and unlike Apple can even demonstrate features that the iPhone simply doesn't have - the Apple crowd enters a collective state of whining.

Get over it, guys. You're only consumers, and both the iPhone and the Note are just soon-to-be-forgotten throw-away products. Buying **** is not a lifestyle. It's not a religion. It will not bring you enlightenment. It will not make you a better or more successful or happier person.

All that being said, I did not even have to see a single ad from Samsung to convince me that they sell the superior product. Dozens of magazine review paved the way for them, and after I was able to compare an older Galaxy S with my iPhone 3G I was sold on both Android and Samsung. When I compare current iPhone 4/4s models with current Galaxys, the current iPhones appear even less attractive. iOS feels old and boring. And it's still a castrated, restricted platform that does not give its user space to breathe.

Wow! You mention the word 'castrated' as if you would have gone through that experience. My condolences to you.

As a side note, I'm certain that most iPhone users would agree with me that I prefer a iPhone because it works well, rather than a phone with 'neon lights' and unnecessary animations and sounds that pretends to do everything, but does it half-way, in a mediocre way.

Ubuntu
Feb 24, 2012, 09:13 AM
So they make an "experiment" testing the two phones with two different people... surely it'd have made more sense to have the same individual test both phones? Anyone with an ounce of sense would know that, especially as the iPhone can do all those activities mentioned.

Amazing Iceman
Feb 24, 2012, 09:15 AM
HISTORY: It's a community spirit that has grown over many years being looks down at and has something to do that back in the day we all were designers working on Macs.

However, moving to your statement, there are good uses for PENs. Like this one for example from WACOM:

http://www.wacom.com/en/Products/Bamboo/BambooPaper/iPad.aspx

The point SAMSUNG wants to make is to be cooler than stupid apple users (how they see us in their commercials) because we don't use a pen to move someones head. It's just a bad commercial. They highlight a pseudo USP in their marketing campaign. Zero emotions. Trashing other target audience people. Seriously, if you want me to switch, don't trash my products. Especially not with customers having an emotional brand attachment. Wouldn't work with Nike either.
I bought a Targus Stylus for my iPad thinking I was going to need it.
It happens that I discovered that I don't really need it. I can write just as good with my finger.
Just the other day, I took notes at a day-long convention with my iPad, not with the stylus, but by typing. I used an app called Notability (among others I have) which has easy outlining features and also records synchronized audio while typing.
I was surprised on how good my notes came out compared to previous notes I took on paper last time. Everything organized, properly outlined and ready to print. No need to transcribe the notes when I got home as I had to do in the past.
My hands didn't get tired or sore, typing went smoothly.

I do use the stylus to have my customers sign a work order after work completion, only for their convenience and to avoid their dirty fingerprints on my display :D

sweetbrat
Feb 24, 2012, 09:16 AM

My iPhone is not 'castrated' as you say. It does the things I need it to do, without a lot of crap that I don't want. If I need it to do other things, I download an app. Just because the Note can do things out of the box that my iPhone can't doesn't make it better. I'd rather have less stuff on it and be able to download the things I need than to have it filled with a bunch of junk that I'll never use because Samsung thought it was cool.

My iPhone doesn't make me a better person. It does make me a slightly happier, more productive person. Any technology that makes my life a little easier makes me a bit happier. That's good enough for me. You accuse us of being biased towards Apple, and yet you have a pretty heavy bias towards Samsung. To each his/her own.

Ubuntu
Feb 24, 2012, 09:19 AM

Oh my, what a stupid comment. iOS devices are popular with people who aren't nerds like the people who post on this forum, because it's a well designed and controlled OS. Most iOS device owners I know don't care about it being "cool", they just like it because it works well and is simple to use. At work I only ever sold two Android tablets and one customer came back with a system services error that was reoccurring, even after a hard reset. When an iPad owner comes back with an issue most of the time it'll be easily fixed by restarting the app.

Also, poor quality? Compared to what? The Android market, rife with malware? (http://gizmodo.com/5881778/googles-finally-cracking-down-on-android-malware) There are a lot of useless apps on the app store, yes, but it's still far better than the Android market.

Amazing Iceman
Feb 24, 2012, 09:22 AM
My iPhone is not 'castrated' as you say. It does the things I need it to do, without a lot of crap that I don't want. If I need it to do other things, I download an app. Just because the Note can do things out of the box that my iPhone can't doesn't make it better. I'd rather have less stuff on it and be able to download the things I need than to have it filled with a bunch of junk that I'll never use because Samsung thought it was cool.

My iPhone doesn't make me a better person. It does make me a slightly happier, more productive person. Any technology that makes my life a little easier makes me a bit happier. That's good enough for me. You accuse us of being biased towards Apple, and yet you have a pretty heavy bias towards Samsung. To each his/her own.

The one thing the Note can do better than the iPhone is: To use more space in your pocket...
...that is, if it fits! :D
Great size phone for those who like to wear Guayaberas.

bigjnyc
Feb 24, 2012, 09:27 AM

I agree that the iPhone is fair game but making fun of iPhone users and customer base is just dumb.... Those are the very people that you want as customers so why make fun of them?

AWallen90
Feb 24, 2012, 09:33 AM

Genuine question, where did you come up with these numbers, everything I see says Samsung ~120 Billion Apple ~116 Billion.

Also when looking at buying a company you would want to look more at current assets for the company doing the buying and probably market cap for the company being bought, which reenforces your point that it's simply not possible.

All plausibility aside if Apple bought Samsung they would make some brilliant products.

likemyorbs
Feb 24, 2012, 09:38 AM
These commercials are pointless because instead of convincing iPhone users to switch, they're just making us say "wait, that's a lie! my phone can easily do that!"

This woman just wasn't tech savvy at all, and she would have had the same results if you gave her a Note, she still wouldn't know how to use it. Unfortunately, many smartphone users are oblivious to most of their phone's capabilities.

*LTD*
Feb 24, 2012, 09:43 AM
http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/8280/1652e.jpg

JForestZ34
Feb 24, 2012, 09:54 AM
Apple experimented with a lot of different sizes before settling on the one they did. The reason? Ease of use. The average person's thumb can reach every corner holding it portrait, and two thumbs can reach all parts of the screen in landscape. Apple's not going to make a bigger one, and if they did, a lot of people would not buy it. I would not buy it, for the same reason I don't buy 17" laptops. Bigger is not always better, and what matters is portability.

But nice trolling. I notice you're posting from an iPhone.

First off I'm not trolling. I've been a member since 2007 and have had a lot of posts on the site.

And what does posting from an iphone have to do with this? I use what works for ME AT THE TIME. If something else fits my needs better I will switch to that.

Oh and I'm sure apple will come out with a bigger screen iphone in the future if not the iphone 5 will have it. Every other phones are getting bigger screens and apple will follow.

James

PeterQVenkman
Feb 24, 2012, 09:56 AM
That tablet is too small, and that phone is too big. But at least I get to poke it with a stick!

cienzod
Feb 24, 2012, 09:56 AM
Hmm the guy only had a couple of hours to learn how to do all that stuff?? Yeah Right!...Anyway the send a map to a friend via email test...Waaaay quicker on a iPhone...Google Maps, Directions (Select Walking), Press the Home Button & Power Button at same time (Screen Shot) open Camera, Select Camera Roll and the Email...

If you're gonna do a Street Challenge, make sure you don't stack the deck first...It would have been much better if they'd picked 2 people who've never had a Smartphone and done some "Basic" tests...like the Pepsi Challenge...they could have still stacked the deck, but it would have been more convincing.

Love to have seen all that done without the stylus as well! Ha! What a joke!

:apple:

Lukeyy19
Feb 24, 2012, 09:59 AM
great, so it's full of a bunch of crap i'l never use.

bigjnyc
Feb 24, 2012, 10:28 AM

Alot of Android devices have some nice screen sizes like 4" and maybe even 4.3" but you've gotta admit 5.3" for a phone is quite a stretch. Apple fan or not we all know Apple would not do something that stupid.

sand_man
Feb 24, 2012, 10:39 AM
With one model on average every 12-15 months Apple cannot afford to be too flamboyant with their renditions of the iPhone. Their margin for error is minute.

This is what makes their success all the more remarkable. Tell any other manufacturer out there, you have one shot at it and whatever you produce is it for the next 12 months...

Jynto
Feb 24, 2012, 10:49 AM
Uhh, that woman is such a bad actor. I am an Android user, and I am embarrassed by this ad. Can my current phone crop out my head and put it on a basketball player? No. Am I disappointed? No.

mawhitlock
Feb 24, 2012, 10:51 AM
Great strategy Samsung. Pick the biggest idiot on the street who owns an iPhone and ask them to tasks that no one in the real world does anyway.

The size of that phone is huge. I guess we'll need bigger pockets or a bag to carry it in.

jbennardo
Feb 24, 2012, 10:59 AM
They use "groundbreaking" and "pen" in the same sentence. Nice.

flottenheimer
Feb 24, 2012, 10:59 AM
From a marketing/strategy perspective I think this ad is doing an OK job. It's simply pointing out what the Note and its pen can do (out of the box) that the iPhone can not.
Sure beats the "me too" strategy that most campaigns follow.

It's not long ago that Apple themselves ran the Mac vs. PC campaign. Basically the same approach - Attacking PC on all the stuff a Mac can do better. The execution itself was of course nothing like this Samsung campaign and around a million times better IMHO.

DotCom2
Feb 24, 2012, 11:16 AM
You are all missing the point!
Commercials are not supposed to be factual.
They are supposed to be emotional.

Dorje Sylas
Feb 24, 2012, 11:17 AM
Challenges:
- Crop one image and drag and drop it on another.
iPhone: Go to the app store.
+1 for the Samsung.

I kinda have to dispute that one as it comes out a wash. Photo in iOS5 has Crop and other baseline touch-up tools and can send the photo on to Mail or be accessed by any App that has access to the camera roll. Considering iOS5 is supported all the way back to the 3GS (something we rarely see from Andriod OEMs) This comes out a wash and at best brings this to a draw.

Edsel
Feb 24, 2012, 11:34 AM
It was racist. What's next for Samsung, blond stereotypes, maybe some slavic jokes?

toph2toast
Feb 24, 2012, 11:35 AM
I personally would never buy the Note (not just because I'm a "fanboy") but I can see where it would be useful for other people. The size is kind of crazy for it to be considered a "phone", I wonder how long you can hold this up to your ear before your arm falls off.

Marketing isn't about playing "fair", its about proving a point no matter how realistic it is or not. I agree with many people when they say that the Note can do things that other Android phones can't do either, not just an iPhone. If they weren't biased they would have a WP7, Android and iPhone all up there for the "street battle", but w/e. I'm content with my iPhone and my iPad, but to each their own.

Simplicated
Feb 24, 2012, 11:38 AM

Which Samsung failed to achieve. Both of them.

kingsapo
Feb 24, 2012, 11:42 AM
holy crap that woman was annoying! plus anyone can make an ad where one person does stuff on a phone, while the other person just stands there and shouts "I CAN'T DO THAT!!!"

bigjnyc
Feb 24, 2012, 11:49 AM
I think it would be awesome if Apple came out with one of their usual commercials just showing things that iPhone can do...... And showcase everything that it supposedly could not do in this commercial. That would be a great subtle comeback without stooping down to the level of idiocy in these poorly done commercials.

ArtOfWarfare
Feb 24, 2012, 11:53 AM
I kinda have to dispute that one as it comes out a wash. Photo in iOS5 has Crop and other baseline touch-up tools and can send the photo on to Mail or be accessed by any App that has access to the camera roll. Considering iOS5 is supported all the way back to the 3GS (something we rarely see from Andriod OEMs) This comes out a wash and at best brings this to a draw.

Cropping photos in the built in photos app forces you to crop it to a rectangle (unless I'm mistaken, you can't even rotate the image by non-90 degree amounts.) The video showed the person arbitrarily (not forcing any angles or lengths) moving 8 control points to crop their head.

Biff...
Feb 24, 2012, 12:06 PM
I just purchased my first android phone, last week to be exact. I have to admit the note caught my attention the screen size looks great, although huge compared to my iphone 4s, the size is not that bad for daily use.

Yogomi
Feb 24, 2012, 12:08 PM
I actually had my hands on the Samsung Note for about three weeks before the Super Bowl.

I think the device is very cool, even though I thought the size would hinder its appeal.

However, that being said, in my opinion, it in no way compared to the iPhone. The issue for me is it still uses Android. I have access to several Notes and Tabs and I cannot get past how clunky Android is.

Another issue I had was with the materials and manufacturing of the device. I found it to "creak" and "crack" when held or squeezed because of the plastic construction and assembly. Maybe this is to keep the weight down. Either way, I would have felt better if it was more solid like their Nexus or some other upcoming phones.

All in all, however, I can see power user/business type really getting use out of the device.

-Y.

PracticalMac
Feb 24, 2012, 12:40 PM
Default apps on the Galaxy, or downloaded??

BTW, that thing is HUGE. Almost too big.

nickpro
Feb 24, 2012, 12:41 PM
Have you guys watched the other video? Oh man, its even worse lol
YouTube: video (http://youtu.be/HKR-01KHhPc)

mrxak
Feb 24, 2012, 12:43 PM
Oh and I'm sure apple will come out with a bigger screen iphone in the future if not the iphone 5 will have it. Every other phones are getting bigger screens and apple will follow.

Yeah, Apple is really well-known for being a follower.

What emotion, other than amusement, is this ad supposed to elicit?

And no, we're not laughing with you, Samsung.

I think it would be awesome if Apple came out with one of their usual commercials just showing things that iPhone can do...... And showcase everything that it supposedly could not do in this commercial. That would be a great subtle comeback without stooping down to the level of idiocy in these poorly done commercials.

That would just raise Samsung to Apple's level. I agree, it would be awesome, but only a tiny proportion of cell phone fanatics would get it, and it would just make it seem like Apple saw Samsung products as a threat. Hint: they're not.

jbennardo
Feb 24, 2012, 12:49 PM
Have you guys watched the other video? Oh man, its even worse lol
YouTube: video (http://youtu.be/HKR-01KHhPc)

So both videos show the same stupid features? I thought they would use these videos to show a series of different situations that might set it apart from the iPhone. Instead it's just the same annotating a map, or taking the head off of a picture and putting it on another picture. Power features for sure.

KPOM
Feb 24, 2012, 12:50 PM
In general, comparative ads are ineffective, which is why companies with strong brands (e.g. BMW, Apple) usually don't engage in them. It's possible to pull off ("Hello, I'm a Mac" was a notable example - and a notable exception to Apple's usual avoidance of comparative advertising), but it needs to be carefully done. The PC guy came across as sympathetic, actually. Importantly, those ads didn't actually show the two products. Audi also successfully uses this technique in some ads.

I think Samsung's advertising would be more effective if they simply touted the emotional appeal of their products, rather than call attention to their rival.

kdarling
Feb 24, 2012, 01:11 PM

Not to mention its sexist undertones.

At least it wasn't anti-barista this time. Not that anyone defended the barista in the last few Samsung ads. Apparently those workers rank somewhere around the same appreciation level as mime artists.

They use "groundbreaking" and "pen" in the same sentence. Nice.

It helps if you understand the technology. It's an active pen, not a dumb stylus. You can name on a few fingers the number of handheld devices with such a groundbreaking feature.

That's only because the screenshot function on most devices isn't integrated into the pen workflow.

With devices such as the Note or the Flyer, screenshots are often the starting point for a pen interaction, and therefore are a common action.

(I don't know about the Note, but on the Flyer you need only tap any screen with the pen, to instantly be looking at a screenshot that you can write/draw on top of, then send or store somewhere.)

mrsir2009
Feb 24, 2012, 01:35 PM
It was racist. What's next for Samsung, blond stereotypes, maybe some slavic jokes?

Not really. Anyone can be dumb, anyone can be smart.

Yogomi
Feb 24, 2012, 01:36 PM
Default apps on the Galaxy, or downloaded??

BTW, that thing is HUGE. Almost too big.

I can honestly say that's what I thought at first. But after handling it for a few weeks, I got used to the size quickly.

Remember, it's a hybrid phone/tablet device. So it does need to be a little large. Once you start using the s-pen it makes more sense; well, to me it made more sense.

I wouldn't mind having one to keep. (Working on that)

-Y.

jbennardo
Feb 24, 2012, 01:37 PM
It helps if you understand the technology. It's an active pen, not a dumb stylus. You can name on a few fingers the number of handheld devices with such a groundbreaking feature.

Point taken - but I have yet to see them or hear them demonstrate to me what's special about it. I just see people using a stylus on a handheld device. I guess that's more a failure of the advertising.

lazyrighteye
Feb 24, 2012, 01:49 PM

Or, in typical Apple fashion, stay focused and continue innovating.
Leave the following to others.

ARobinson
Feb 24, 2012, 02:08 PM
Smart advertising, but still a weak ploy. An experienced note user against a clearly inexperienced iPhone user that challenges her with loaded questions. The note is a newer phone built with features other manufacturers or developers have yet to tackle in their own software (i.e. Masking). Thats like asking an 4S using asking a 3GS user to ask Siri, "what time is it."

Not to mention this women seems like an actress to me. Believable at first, but half way through I felt like her defeat was too willing. I would have rebutted with something I can do on my 4S I know a samsung phone is incapable of, and there is a lot to choose from. This women acts like she just bought her iPhone, while her opponent likely had a hand in building his phone.

bigjnyc
Feb 24, 2012, 02:29 PM
That would just raise Samsung to Apple's level. I agree, it would be awesome, but only a tiny proportion of cell phone fanatics would get it, and it would just make it seem like Apple saw Samsung products as a threat. Hint: they're not.

Or, in typical Apple fashion, stay focused and continue innovating.
Leave the following to others.

Both very good points.

Icculus
Feb 24, 2012, 02:35 PM
"Nobody wants a stylus."

Also, I want something I can fit comfortably in my pocket, not something the size of a Buick Skylark.

Anytime you compare something to a Buick Skylark is a HUGE Win!

kelesh
Feb 24, 2012, 03:14 PM
Wow, Apple forums are disturbing.

I was an iPhone user from day 1 and for 3 years. Android user for the last 2 years. I'm a Mac system administrator.

iOS has better apps, but Android is not far behind.

Some big problems with iPhones are:

Widgets: Almost 5 years in, and iOS still doesn't have widgets. Customizing screens with widgets is awesome. Grids of icons is a terrible interface. Inconvenient and ugly. Personalization is awesome.

Screen size: No options for different screen sizes. 3.5 inches is small. 4.3 inches is great for people with normal and slightly larger hand sizes. 5.3" is big but fine for most men. Videos, games, web browsing, email, etc are more enjoyable with larger screens. The Note is big but it fits in my pant pocket or jacket pocket fine. Phones with 4.3" screens are very pocket-friendly and hand-friendly.

Usage of the pen is not required. None of the normal Android apps require it. I've been using this device without the pen and it behaves exactly like my previous Android devices. I don't want a tablet. I just want a phone with a sweet screen.

Sony311
Feb 24, 2012, 04:05 PM
Actually IPhone 5 is supposed to be coming out with a LARGER screen......So you owe JForestZ34 an apology....Cause Apple is following the same way as everyone else = bigger screens....YOU lose

BTW I own both an Iphone and Android Phone and I will admit the Iphone is looking Long in the tooth in regards to specs and features. Maybe IPhone5 will fix that.

Oh, and to add insult to injury Fanboy....Who do you think makes The IPad and IPhone screens? Samsung (Possibly LG for the Iphone5)...You lose TWICE. Stop being a fanboy and be a real consumer. Dont get me wrong I like the IPhone but the technology behind it is starting to lag behind...8MP phone? My android had that before 4S...Apple right now is playing catchup. The only reason they sell so many phones is that their commercials actually work.

You lose-I don't want an ipad cause I think it's too bulky for my daily needs-MAYBE a Kindle (yes a non-Apple product then again I have an HP desktop) but I wouldn't want it always with me. Sure I would be happy if the iPhone was a bit bigger but not that big...

As for the stylus. Well I had a Palm Pilot and hated it.

warboat
Feb 24, 2012, 04:26 PM
And if you do need/want a stylus**, there is a much more elegant (and probably more precise) one available that works with iPhones, iPads, and similar touch-screen devices: Adonit has a whole range of "Jot" styli, including the pressure sensitive Jot Touch ( http://adonit.net/product/jot-touch/ )

So, nothing the Note does that an iPhone doesn't do (better) --including fit in your pocket.

**For example, if one is an artist and would like to draw with a pen rather than a finger on your iPad…

THE STYLUS:
It seems like a lot of people are poo pooing the stylus in the Galaxy Note.
Do those people realise the Note has 2 layer digitizer. It has a capacitive layer that works with fingers for multi touch pinch/zoom etc like most smatphones. Then it has the hi-res *Pressure Sensitive* layer that works with the stylus.
While most will poo poo the idea of a stylus because Steve Jobs said it's useless, I'm sure quite a few of you have tried to use a capacitive stylus on say an iPad to discover that it is grossly inaccurate and you have to draw everything superbig and then shrink it to even resemble your idea.
I have tried the Note and LOVE the stylus on it. It is SUPER precise, I can draw diagrams and ideas and ink over anything and ink over other people's ink-overs! You can even, I don't know how to term it, conference INK where you can all be inking over the same picture live on a conference call. If you need more than words to express an idea, the stylus is very desirable.

THE SCREEN SIZE:
I have been carrying around a Dell Streak 5 inch phablet for nearly 2 years now. And I carry it everywhere! IN MY JEANS POCKET!
If you've never used a 5" phone, you don't know what you are missing. I used to carry around a tablet with me, but I got sick of carrying a big tablet around. The 5" phone is a practical compromise for a full size tablet and I can have it with me ALL THE TIME, ANYWHERE! I can whip it out and use it in a club without looking like a dork. And I can use it to view sites in desktop mode without having to zoom and scroll anywhere as much as on a 3.5" phone.
OK, so what's it like to hold a 5" phone up to your face and talk on it? well, once you get over the "oh, I feel a bit embarassed" talking on this huge phone thing, it will simply become natural. The number 1 question I get when I use the Streak as a tablet is "can it make phone calls?" and that is where tablet users get a little envious because their 3G tablets can't make a phone call. "gee that's a HUGE phone" is a common remark. But you get used to it and I get a lot of positive interest in it as they can see that it is POCKETABLE and they know they could use a bigger screen than what their phone offers.
Needless to say, I love my Dell Streak. You would have a hard time offering me something in exchange for the Streak. Until now. I have been looking at a replacement for my Streak and not much existed in this notepad category until the the Galaxy Note came along.
The Samsung Galaxy Note is a technological masterpiece in the notepad form factor. It is a wonderful device to the right people. You can mock it all you like, but there are tablet users out there like myself who love it. I haven't got the Note yet, but it is definitely in my upgrade path unless something better comes along.
Sorry for the long rant, but I felt a post from a 5" phone user may offer useful insight against all the hyperbole and mockery.

LiesForTheLiars
Feb 24, 2012, 04:33 PM
THE STYLUS:
It seems like a lot of people are poo pooing the stylus in the Galaxy Note.
Do those people realise the Note has 2 layer digitizer. It has a capacitive layer that works with fingers for multi touch pinch/zoom etc like most smatphones. Then it has the hi-res *Pressure Sensitive* layer that works with the stylus.
While most will poo poo the idea of a stylus because Steve Jobs said it's useless, I'm sure quite a few of you have tried to use a capacitive stylus on say an iPad to discover that it is grossly inaccurate and you have to draw everything superbig and then shrink it to even resemble your idea.
I have tried the Note and LOVE the stylus on it. It is SUPER precise, I can draw diagrams and ideas and ink over anything and ink over other people's ink-overs! You can even, I don't know how to term it, conference INK where you can all be inking over the same picture live on a conference call. If you need more than words to express an idea, the stylus is very desirable.

THE SCREEN SIZE:
I have been carrying around a Dell Streak 5 inch phablet for nearly 2 years now. And I carry it everywhere! IN MY JEANS POCKET!
If you've never used a 5" phone, you don't know what you are missing. I used to carry around a tablet with me, but I got sick of carrying a big tablet around. The 5" phone is a practical compromise for a full size tablet and I can have it with me ALL THE TIME, ANYWHERE! I can whip it out and use it in a club without looking like a dork. And I can use it to view sites in desktop mode without having to zoom and scroll anywhere as much as on a 3.5" phone.
OK, so what's it like to hold a 5" phone up to your face and talk on it? well, once you get over the "oh, I feel a bit embarassed" talking on this huge phone thing, it will simply become natural. The number 1 question I get when I use the Streak as a tablet is "can it make phone calls?" and that is where tablet users get a little envious because their 3G tablets can't make a phone call. "gee that's a HUGE phone" is a common remark. But you get used to it and I get a lot of positive interest in it as they can see that it is POCKETABLE and they know they could use a bigger screen than what their phone offers.
Needless to say, I love my Dell Streak. You would have a hard time offering me something in exchange for the Streak. Until now. I have been looking at a replacement for my Streak and not much existed in this notepad category until the the Galaxy Note came along.
The Samsung Galaxy Note is a technological masterpiece in the notepad form factor. It is a wonderful device to the right people. You can mock it all you like, but there are tablet users out there like myself who love it. I haven't got the Note yet, but it is definitely in my upgrade path unless something better comes along.
Sorry for the long rant, but I felt a post from a 5" phone user may offer useful insight against all the hyperbole and mockery.

I honestly have no issue with this product, it's their silly ad campaigns that make me shutter in disgust. Also, my pockets must be smaller than yours because when I put a phone that size in my pocket I look like I'm wearing Oompa Loompa pants.

http://coolest-homemade-costumes.shippony.com/images/characters/willy-wonka/oompa/oompa-loompa-costumes-01a.jpg

Sony311
Feb 24, 2012, 04:35 PM
Uh, your Iphone screens (up to 4S model) are made by SAMSUNG....fanboys (sigh)

LiesForTheLiars
Feb 24, 2012, 04:37 PM
Uh, your Iphone screens (up to 4S model) are made by SAMSUNG....fanboys (sigh)

I think they're made by LG, actually. Samsung does make parts for the iPhone though. :eek:

Sony311
Feb 24, 2012, 04:40 PM
wirelessly posted (mozilla/5.0 (ipod; cpu iphone os 5_0_1 like mac os x) applewebkit/534.46 (khtml, like gecko) mobile/9a405)

today's lesson: Apple can't buy everything. :rolleyes:

+1

----------

How is it I feel stupid for samsung after this commercial? Really? You think anybody is going to fall for the note when you're only showing stupid **** I can do that nobody cares about. Poke fun at apple all you want, there is a reason apple is the most successful business in the world now with close to 100 billion in CASH assets accrued In only a decade. They makes things people want, and can't screw up! That's the difference between Windows and OSX, yes windows has more capability, but we all know which system runs better, because it doesn't try to do too much, it just works!

And there is a reason Samsung can afford to do it...they make the Iphone screens for Apple. (up to 4S model...LG to possibly be making the Iphone 5 one)

warboat
Feb 24, 2012, 04:51 PM
Challenges:
- Map directions.
Samsung: Draw the route by hand. Lines aren't neat and the route could be wrong.
iPhone: Insert start and end addresses. Lines are perfect and the route is as good as one from Google maps.
+1 for the iPhone.

actually, you can do exactly the same thing with google maps on any Android.
On top of that if you use the google voice search, you can simply hit the microphone icon and say "Navigate 244 Main St, Whereever" (while driving for eg, nudge nudge wink wink) and it will do it for you.
With Siri, it will only try to navigate if you are in the USA. Google voice search will navigate anywhere in the world. Super handy when you are travelling overseas.
So it's not +1 for the iphone here. More like a draw. Maybe a 0.5 for the Note because sometimes you need to draw directions to difficult situations like "enter from next street to carpark" "park in this area and shortcut thru here"

Sony311
Feb 24, 2012, 04:57 PM
I think they're made by LG, actually. Samsung does make parts for the iPhone though. :eek:

Whoops my bad...You are correct LG does make the display. Samsung makes the main processor as well as the flash memory chips that store music, photos and other user data. The processor is based on an architecture licensed from Britain's ARM Holdings Plc.

I think Samsung was to make the Iphone5 screen (so I just mixed it around) :p

vrDrew
Feb 24, 2012, 05:26 PM
That was, possibly, the worst advertisement I've seen in a long time.

I quite literally couldn't wait for it to be over, and I want the 3 minutes I wasted watching it back.

1) Is cropping your head off and pasting it onto someone's body something you see yourself doing very often?

2) Even if it was - wouldn't you find some way of doing it that didn't involve a cellphone?

Did this commercial make you feel good about yourself? Did it make you smile at the pure lovability of our human family? Did it amaze you with the artful beauty of human ingenuity?

Answer: None of the above. It made me physically loathe the sort of dickhead who thinks sending a photo of disembodied head marks him as an interesting/valuable person. It makes me wonder what sort of mental defectives Samsung has working in its marketing department. Does Samsung really have so little respect for our powers of reason that they think anyone thinks this is a realistic exhibition of how people will use their wretched phone?

Of all the ways you could demonstrate the (questionable) virtues of having a ginormous smartphone screen, the way they chose to illustrate the Galaxy Note was boring, contrived, and absurd.

Samsung is a lame company, making lame product, using horrible commercials to sell to the worst people in society. A pox on all their houses.

warboat
Feb 24, 2012, 05:29 PM
Samsung Guy: "Er, uh, moving on. Let's say you want to tell your friends how to get from point A to point B here in the city. Like a walking map."

Firstly, you need a 4S to use Siri and last time I checked, the majority of iPhone users don't have the 4S.
Secondly, if you don't live in the USA, or travelling outside the USA, Siri just tells you navigation functions only works in the USA.

B777Forevar
Feb 24, 2012, 05:37 PM
I gotta give Samsung one thing.
They are producing so much ******** and commotion from both iOS Fans and Android Fans.

dBeats
Feb 24, 2012, 05:38 PM
Sooo faaaaaake.

Samsung, you are so lame. Just wait till the stylus holder wears out and people start losing styli. Happened with my old Palm as it was TOTALLY ANNOYING.

If you see a stylus, run...

elppa
Feb 24, 2012, 05:56 PM
I found the Siri Santa commercial slightly more believable than this.

Hawkeye411
Feb 24, 2012, 05:59 PM
I honestly have no issue with this product, it's their silly ad campaigns that make me shutter in disgust. Also, my pockets must be smaller than yours because when I put a phone that size in my pocket I look like I'm wearing Oompa Loompa pants.

Image (http://coolest-homemade-costumes.shippony.com/images/characters/willy-wonka/oompa/oompa-loompa-costumes-01a.jpg)

LOL!! Nice!

It looks like a cool device but it's TOO big!!

warboat
Feb 24, 2012, 06:00 PM
Sooo faaaaaake.

Samsung, you are so lame. Just wait till the stylus holder wears out and people start losing styli. Happened with my old Palm as it was TOTALLY ANNOYING.

If you see a stylus, run...

The plastic palm pilot stylus are yesteryears. These days smartphones with stylus are metallic and are magnetised so they stay in the holder. If you have to quickly switch from stylus to finger, you can even just magnetically stick the stylus to the outside of the phone to free your hand (like hit the indicator while you are driving :P)

You can still use fingers, you don't have to use the stylus, but it is there when the need arises. I don't see what the poo pooing of stylus is about. It is an ADDITIONAL FEATURE not a requirement to use the device.

If people have to continually pick on the stylus and screen size, then they just don't get it. I just sense a lot of misinformed bias. Yeh the style of the ad tilts you. Get over it and see the merit of the device.

mixel
Feb 24, 2012, 06:02 PM
I have quite small hands and the iPhone is pretty much the perfect size for me. If I was giant the Galaxy Note looks like it'd be a good alternative. I dont see a middle-ground small tablet/big phone doing well.. Better to be good as one thing than to be not great as either.

Lucent336
Feb 24, 2012, 09:42 PM
Look at Apple's 4S commercials. They are almost all revolving completely around Siri, a service that is often down, and can't do half the stuff that the watcher is lead to believe it will do for him. All the while, Siri is still considered beta, another thing that Apple doesn't tell you. Let's be reasonable. It's marketing. Everybody does it.

Apple actually said in the 4S Keynote that Siri was in Beta, and as noted on Apple's Siri page (http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/siri.html) anyone can see that it is in Beta.

Can you name a company that puts their drawbacks or incomplete features in their adverts?

Lucent336
Feb 24, 2012, 10:00 PM
Anyways, if I'm ever walking around someday, and happen to see them making a similar commercial, I will turn into Remi Gaillard's "Urban Touchdown (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_VTH52TGOQ)", run up, grab the Note, smash it on the concrete, and runaway screaming "Oh!".

http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=1696019&t=o (http://gifsoup.com/view/1696019/threw-it-on-the-ground.html) GIFSoup (http://gifsoup.com/)Relevant?

ngochuy107
Feb 24, 2012, 10:47 PM
SS is one of the giants in smartphone marketshare out there. But their commercials in a past few months "accidentally" made them look like a jealous woman who's trying to get her boyfriend back from the other chick by saying bad things about that chick. :|

I think SS would do a commercial focus on the features and how it help you in life, that would be effective. Because i don't know much about how the Galaxy S II and Galaxy Note can do during their commercials, just in case i wanna try them out.

For the guy who came up with the idea of this commercial: "I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and ***** a better argument than that."

DroidRules
Feb 24, 2012, 11:32 PM
I love how people bad mouth things before they even touch one.... How many people bitching about the Note have actually touched one? Probably not many. I think 5.3" for a screen is to big but there are probably many out there that want a device with such a screen. No reason to trash it just to trash it. Remember every one, competition is good for all consumers.

I think iPhone needs a bigger screen now. It won't keep me from buying the next i but I would certainly be a bit disappointed if it's not at least a 4". I have changed my mind on this subject as before I was against a screen size increase but......Now I think it's needed. 4.5" would be a good compromise IMHO but 4" at the minimum.

.....BTW I own both an Iphone and Android Phone and I will admit the Iphone is looking Long in the tooth in regards to specs and features. Maybe IPhone5 will fix that.
Oh, and to add insult to injury Fanboy....Who do you think makes The IPad and IPhone screens? Samsung (Possibly LG for the Iphone5)...You lose TWICE. Stop being a fanboy and be a real consumer. Dont get me wrong I like the IPhone but the technology behind it is starting to lag behind...8MP phone? My android had that before 4S...Apple right now is playing catchup. The only reason they sell so many phones is that their commercials actually work.
LoL, another spec hound. Specs mean squat in the real world. 8mp camera.... yep. How does that camera compare to one with higher MP? It's about the processing not just the MP. I don't feel the 4s needs to catch up to any phone. Different strokes for different folks you know. Don't like the note get another phone. Don't like the iPhone, get another phone. Easy peasy.

bigjnyc
Feb 25, 2012, 12:25 AM
I love how people bad mouth things before they even touch one.... How many people bitching about the Note have actually touched one? Probably not many. I think 5.3" for a screen is to big but there are probably many out there that want a device with such a screen. No reason to trash it just to trash it. Remember every one, competition is good for all consumers.

This is true. we don't want Apple getting complacent

JAT
Feb 25, 2012, 12:50 AM
If you have to quickly switch from stylus to finger, you can even just magnetically stick the stylus to the outside of the phone to free your hand (like hit the indicator while you are driving :P)

I guess we should all be glad that, occasionally, you might have your hands available while driving. Good plan.

lyricthejoe
Feb 25, 2012, 01:26 AM
Of course, they picked the least savvy of iPhone users in a performance comparison. It's just like Steve Jobs said: "If you see a stylus, they blew it.":apple:

John McCollum
Feb 25, 2012, 05:19 AM
This is like implying a Chevy pickup is a better car than a Porsche because the Porsche can't carry a full sheet of drywall in its trunk.

reefoid
Feb 25, 2012, 06:56 AM
This is like implying a Chevy pickup is a better car than a Porsche because the Porsche can't carry a full sheet of drywall in its trunk.

If you do need to actually carry a full sheet of drywall in your trunk, the Chevy pickup is the better car. Its all subjective.

george-brooks
Feb 25, 2012, 11:02 AM
Too bad they interviewed an idiot! I pass through Herald Square all the time!! Too bad I wasn't there that day, I could've kicked that galaxy tab's ass!!

HavocLink
Feb 25, 2012, 12:11 PM
They definitely paid her to act like an idiot.

Scarrus
Feb 25, 2012, 12:37 PM
I'm confused. Wouldn't any other Android also fail at this task?

Oh well, more power to them. Hope they sell a lot of phones.

You mean tablets, oh no wait... :eek:

gatearray
Feb 25, 2012, 01:47 PM
I can't believe no one has posted this yet, but here is an app that does the same thing in the video, but of course, does it better. :)

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/iswap-faces/id305557780?mt=8

There is also a LITE free version.

Also, finding a "person on the street" in NYC who is an out of work actress is not too difficult. Notice how she never says the word iPhone, and keeps saying "my phone can't do that" as if it were some generic handset. This in my opinion is the most damning evidence that this video was staged.

iPhone users refer to their phone by name, especially when it's being pitted in a head-to-head contest with a Samsung.

John McCollum
Feb 25, 2012, 03:10 PM
If you do need to actually carry a full sheet of drywall in your trunk, the Chevy pickup is the better car. Its all subjective.

Sure. No doubt. But it would make a ridiculous commercial, no?

Djs621
Feb 25, 2012, 06:09 PM

This is just someone that doesn't know how to use their phone. If you pit me against Martha stewart to see who can make a meatloaf obviously she would win. Doesn't mean I can't make a meatloaf just means I don't know how

Djs621
Feb 25, 2012, 06:15 PM

Correct me I I'm wrong but i don't think there is a way to send someone directions from the maps app. 😨

maril1111
Feb 25, 2012, 06:16 PM
They definitely paid her to act like an idiot.

or some people are simply that stupid... :eek:

Yumunum
Feb 25, 2012, 06:18 PM
Commercials like this... They're basically lies. They falsely portray things. They leave out information. They choose only the clips they want others to see.

It makes sense, but it's still wrong.

I'm not saying I don't like the phone though. The Galaxy Note is awesome. But despite how good the product actually is, using bad tactics to sell it is not good and it's disgusting. Really, it's kinda sickening how advertisements like this are made all the time.

gnasher729
Feb 25, 2012, 06:40 PM

Interesting. Google tells me that Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. and its subsidiaries had about $100 billion assets and $35 billion liabilities in March 2010.

PNutts
Feb 26, 2012, 12:10 AM
Anytime you compare something to a Buick Skylark is a HUGE Win!

A Buick Skylark is the last car I totaled. Good times...

AShahmoradian
Feb 26, 2012, 03:08 AM
Here is my 2 cents about Samsung:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/109458556587439384905/posts/GzDDez25isn

paronga
Feb 26, 2012, 05:43 AM
Here is my 2 cents about Samsung:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/109458556587439384905/posts/GzDDez25isn
come on dude.
If you're going to pimp your G+ please post something worth reading.
That post reads like a grade 8 essay :(

dibbs98
Feb 26, 2012, 06:10 AM
I really think Samsung are making a mistake by portraying iphone users as stupid. Who do they hope to steal market share from?
this women would struggle to write a txt message
"oh my god, how did you do that!?"

kdarling
Feb 26, 2012, 08:28 AM
I really think Samsung are making a mistake by portraying iphone users as stupid.

The ad seemed to be implying that the iPhone either couldn't do something or it wasn't clear how to do something on it.

People here are the ones portraying her as stupid, because they think she should've known how to do all those things.

--

It certainly was a ridiculously unbalanced setup. They prepped the Samsung users ahead of time, so it would've only been fair to find some iPhone users that were prepped as well.

They could've confronted, say, some Apple Geniuses with the same situation and see what they came up with. Figure the odds on Apple letting that happen, though.

Perhaps they could do the ultimate mixture of ads: show up at the lines for the next iPhone debut, and actually challenge those waiting in line with "can it do this?" etc.

macsmurf
Feb 26, 2012, 08:48 AM
Samsung should use quotes from this thread in their commercials. The number of people calling some poor woman a retard and worse is a bit surprising to me, even though I know of the disdain for anything non-Apple from the users of this site.

The worst thing about Apple products is their users. Luckily they aren't included in the box.

myurkus
Feb 26, 2012, 11:11 AM
As far as the screen-size. I must admit at first I thought it was more impressive than my iPhone 4's small-screen. (And I would be lying if I said I didn't wish the screen was larger after hours of using my iPhone.) However, after thinking about it, the larger screen-size is arguably the reason tablets like the iPad exist!

I learned this from some fellow engineer-friends: a good smartphone design should allow a person with an average-sized hand hold onto the phone with one hand and reach the entire screen with their thumb. These "hybrids" break this rule that goes back to the first Blackberry's...

http://gizmodo.com/5847981/this-is-why-the-iphones-screen-will-always-be-35-inches

That said, I have read many rumors suggesting that the iPhone 5 will have a larger screen-size (or even be available in multiple sizes...) (But IMHO that is pure speculation at this point.)

As far as functionality itself, even though Android is getting better, given that one can do practically anything in the world with an App, any insinuation of functional inadequacy (on a software level) is laughable.

kdarling
Feb 26, 2012, 12:07 PM
I learned this from some fellow engineer-friends: a good smartphone design should allow a person with an average-sized hand hold onto the phone with one hand and reach the entire screen with their thumb.

Ergonomics also suggests that the commonly used button to go back a page should be down near your thumb where Android has it, not far away on the upper left as it usually is on iOS.

OTOH, iOS is smart to have apps put commonly used tabs at the bottom. I think Android put them up top just to be different.

Both Android and iOS have made UI/UX compromises.

JForestZ34
Feb 26, 2012, 12:19 PM
Yeah, Apple is really well-known for being a follower.

What emotion, other than amusement, is this ad supposed to elicit?

And no, we're not laughing with you, Samsung.

Well apple will be a follower if they release a phone with a larger screen. Other companies came out with bigger screens first, so in this area apple will be following suit..

Of course, they picked the least savvy of iPhone users in a performance comparison. It's just like Steve Jobs said: "If you a stylus, they blew it.":apple:

I'm sure before the iphone came out good old SJ ( the man that is god to everyone) used a palm phone with a stylus. I'm sure he used a device with one at some point in his life.

Just because he says if you use one you blew it, doesn't mean squat. He not the final say in what customers WANT or NEED.

Correct me I I'm wrong but i don't think there is a way to send someone directions from the maps app. ��

I don't think there is. I haven't found a way to do it yet.

James

MikeSimone101
Feb 26, 2012, 12:31 PM
well if she is impressed with that, then why does she have an iphone? next thing u know the will show her how to call someone and she will have a heart attack

gatortpk
Feb 26, 2012, 12:32 PM
In its latest ad, Samsung pits a user with the Samsung Galaxy Note -- the company's new 5.3" Android smartphone -- against an iPhone user, seeing which phone is better for a few tasks of questionable use.

via Cult of Android (http://www.cultofandroid.com/4699/not-even-android-fans-will-defend-samsungs-latest-galaxy-note-spot-video/)

Article Link: Samsung "Street Challenge" Pits iPhone Against Galaxy Note (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/23/samsung-street-challenge-pits-iphone-against-galaxy-note/)

Did anyone actually click on that Cult of Android link? I was amused when the headline was "Not Even Android Fans Will Defend Samsung’s Latest Galaxy Note Spot"

Well at least Android Fans are embarrassed and admit that you can do everything in the Video with an iPhone too.

mrine2
Feb 26, 2012, 12:48 PM
I believe it was Steve Jobs who said that if you need to use a stylus, you have failed.

rangtang
Feb 26, 2012, 12:56 PM
This is a bad display of marketing. One "random" person against "another random person" with different backgrounds, different skill sets, and different phones. You can't tell how primed they were, and you also can't tell what apps either of them are familiar with.

This ad felt like the equivalent of two men reading different books while one of them is illiterate and rated their book poorly.

mrxak
Feb 26, 2012, 01:00 PM
Well apple will be a follower if they release a phone with a larger screen. Other companies came out with bigger screens first, so in this area apple will be following suit..

Let's review.

You say that Apple will have to come out with a model with the same size screen as a bunch of other phones.

I say Apple isn't much of a follower.

You say that Apple will be a follower if they come out with a model with the same size screen as a bunch of other phones.

So...

I say that Apple isn't much of a follower.

Your turn?

kdarling
Feb 26, 2012, 01:19 PM
I believe it was Steve Jobs who said that if you need to use a stylus, you have failed.

(Repeated for the millionth time in these threads) You don't need to use the pen.

--

As far as quotes, Steve Jobs also said:

Apple has no plans to make tablets. There's not enough of a market. - 2002

"It turns out people want keyboards. We look at the (idea of a slate) tablet, and we think it is going to fail (because it only has a touchscreen)." - 2003

"What good are tablets except to surf the web in the bathroom." - 2003

Believing everything that Jobs ever said in the past, is like believing a used car salesman. He only likes the features of the models that he has in his own current inventory.

--

One needs only look at the excitement that arose when Microsoft showed the Courier concept, or all the stylii available for the iPad, to know that there's a large segment of users who have a need for the additional ability to have accurate and fast pen input.

Parystec
Feb 26, 2012, 03:21 PM
I think they must only sell iPhones to people with an IQ above 4 or even 4S

testerdennis
Feb 26, 2012, 03:49 PM
street challenge!
which phone can actually fit in my freaking pocket?

Fits fine in my pocket.

warboat
Feb 26, 2012, 04:29 PM

And if Apple invented Kinnect, he would come out and say, if you need to touch the screen, then you have failed.

striker33
Feb 26, 2012, 04:43 PM
Samsung will be dead to me when/if Apple decide to ditch their crappy LCD screens for OLED.

Medic278
Feb 26, 2012, 05:08 PM
Wow I can't think of anyone that would even want a 5.3" mini tablet in their pocket. Im not even sure that fits into a pocket. Just shows that the iPhone is superior, it gets updated once a year or so and still blows samsung away even though they release a phone every few weeks to compete with the iPhone.

Rcflex
Feb 26, 2012, 05:55 PM
How many people whip out there phone on the street and start trying to make a birthday card... It would have been funny if she used Siri and Won...

warboat
Feb 26, 2012, 08:49 PM
Wow I can't think of anyone that would even want a 5.3" mini tablet in their pocket.Im not even sure that fits into a pocket. Just shows that the iPhone is superior, it gets updated once a year or so and still blows samsung away even though they release a phone every few weeks to compete with the iPhone.

How about someone who reads ebooks. They can have one device that serves as their phone and ebook reader that they can have with them all the time.
A 3.5" phone just isn't practical for reading ebooks.
Ebook readers want the largest screen they can fit in a pocket. And this does fit in a pocket easier than you think.
It weighs 180grams which also makes reading ebooks very comfortable compared to say holding an ipad weighing 600g. Anyone who reads ebooks a lot will tell you the ipad gets uncomfortable to hold for long periods. This is why dedicated ebook readers and mini-tablets sell.
With the stylus, I can see people who draw ideas loving this. Quick and accurate drawings like you would do on a paper notepad can now be done on the Note because it is always with you in the pocket. No need to make a photocopy of sketches on paper for other people, just email it or bluetooth a copy to them.
Portable applications requiring the capture of signatures is also well served by the Note. Couriers, Salespeople, Restuarants. Trying to get a signature on a capacitive tablet screen is ridiculous. It doesn't work. The stylus is needed.
It is the Swiss Army Knife of portable devices. It is the ultimate pocketable all-in-one.

myurkus
Feb 26, 2012, 11:56 PM
How about someone who reads ebooks. They can have one device that serves as their phone and ebook reader that they can have with them all the time.
A 3.5" phone just isn't practical for reading ebooks.
Ebook readers want the largest screen they can fit in a pocket. And this does fit in a pocket easier than you think.
It weighs 180grams which also makes reading ebooks very comfortable compared to say holding an ipad weighing 600g. Anyone who reads ebooks a lot will tell you the ipad gets uncomfortable to hold for long periods. This is why dedicated ebook readers and mini-tablets sell.
With the stylus, I can see people who draw ideas loving this. Quick and accurate drawings like you would do on a paper notepad can now be done on the Note because it is always with you in the pocket. No need to make a photocopy of sketches on paper for other people, just email it or bluetooth a copy to them.
Portable applications requiring the capture of signatures is also well served by the Note. Couriers, Salespeople, Restuarants. Trying to get a signature on a capacitive tablet screen is ridiculous. It doesn't work. The stylus is needed.
It is the Swiss Army Knife of portable devices. It is the ultimate pocketable all-in-one.

As someone who owns an iPhone but not an iPad, I can attest to the difficulty trying to read an e-book on the thing. However, that is not what it is designed for. The "Steve Jobs" idea of computing is to have an:
iPhone <> iPad <> Mac
Or in generic terms:
SmartPhone <> Tablet <> Computer

Given that there are already many reasons one will still need a "real" computer, or at least a tablet on top of a Phone, in your example it comes down to where you want to read your ebook: on your phone or on your tablet or laptop.

I specifically know my answer: Recently I bought a PDF of a long book - Obviously from a visual-standpoint it was easier to read it on the netbook than on an iPhone. But keep this in mind: after decades of fine-tuning in the book industry, the accepted smallest size of a paperback is still larger than any smartphone, including the Galaxy. Furthermore, I found that in situations where I could not carry the netbook, I did not have much time to read anyway, and the iPhone was quite adequate for short reads. (It was a great book that I read everywhere. ;) )

In regards to a stylus: I know that Steve Jobs was very against it his entire life. While there are specialized fields such as animation or certain video-games (think Nintendo DS) that can make use of a stylus, I do not see the need for it for most people. While the work done in animation-studios using applications like Maya with a stylus is mind-blowing, that is a small niche market. Stylus/Tablet PC's have been around for years - with stagnant sales. (Most of the time I only see co-workers using them to show-off, but not for any practical purpose.) As far as writing with a stylus: Whenever I checkout and sign my name on a stylus-based signature screen in a store, my handwriting is beyond terrible. In addition, even if they perfected a Newton-like handwriting recognition tool, many studies have been done proving that typing was shown to be far faster than handwriting. (In one particular test I have in mind, they had a case-study of many volunteers of all ages and abilities write a paragraph in several different ways. The fastest mode of input was the business version of Dragon. Old-fashioned pencil-and-paper came in dead-last...while this is not a plug for Dragon, I think with Sirri we can see where Apple is going with these technologies....)

...Oh, and just yesterday I "signed" my eFiled tax return without a stylus... ;)

I see the future fast approaching where we hone in on the most efficient ways of communicating with our devices, from ubiquitous Star Trek TNG-like touch-screens to HAL-9000-like voice communication.

I suppose there will never be a "one size fits all" answer to all of this, a fact that demonstrates the beauty of a free-market. And there probably will be a niche market for something between a phone and a tablet. However, I believe in the model in which most people will have one pocket-sized iPhone-like device (or how about a Leela/Futurama wristband? ;) ,) one iPad-like tablet device, and some type of powerful full computer. (I will not go into my opinions on that end...I have already rambled long enough. :eek:)

Edit: I just thought of something...please do not think I am sexist, but if I carried a purse on me, I think I would be interested in something larger than an iPhone but smaller than an iPad. However, since I carry a backpack (if I have anything at all on me,) the iPad is the perfect "middle" device for me. I still agree with the overall pattern for personal computing devices for the near-future, but I suppose this exemplifies why "one-size-fits-all" does not always apply...

ngochuy107
Feb 27, 2012, 01:24 AM
I don't think there is. I haven't found a way to do it yet.

James
Since it's so easy to take a screen shot. I just take a shot and send it as MMS, that helped me out when i need to send a direction.:rolleyes:

sand_man
Feb 27, 2012, 01:27 AM
Since it's so easy to take a screen shot. I just take a shot and send it as MMS, that helped me out when i need to send a direction.:rolleyes:

Agreed....

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x332/sandmanm34/10becc51.png

gatortpk
Feb 27, 2012, 06:03 AM
Agreed....

Image (http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x332/sandmanm34/10becc51.png)

I like your screenshot, and it is actually that good of resolution 960x640. (I measured it with "Free Ruler v1.7" with pixel graduations/markings)

The top bar isn't standard, was that actually on your iPhone, or did you modify the screen shot? If that was actually on your iPhone, I'd like to do something similar... (I know what JB is)

sand_man
Feb 27, 2012, 07:24 AM
The top bar isn't standard, was that actually on your iPhone, or did you modify the screen shot? If that was actually on your iPhone, I'd like to do something similar... (I know what JB is)

SBSettings to alter carrier settings, Noki HD winterboard theme... Screenshot is as it appears on device...

Yujenisis
Feb 27, 2012, 08:18 AM
Fits fine in my pocket.

Where I work we get a lot of AT&T dummy and demo units and the day we got the Samsung Galaxy Note we all had a ripe old laugh.

I'll temper my comment by saying that the form factor isn't completely off-base. Spatially it feels like the surface area of a paperback book - a size most of us can relate to. But it the size quickly becomes apparent when holding it up to your head to make a phone call or trying to stow it away.

Most of us could not fit the device comfortably in our pockets. My fairly pedestrian Levi's 501 jeans would have nothing to do with it (the pocket was not wide enough to accommodate the girth of the Note).

IMHO, the Note will go down along with the Nokia N-Gage (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N-Gage) as something that was not fully thought out and that looks silly when being used for its primary purpose (http://www.sidetalkin.com/).

I doubt Samsung will get so much egg on their face since they refresh their products so quickly and aren't promoting the Note with nearly the same Nokia N-Gage gusto. What will be most telling is if they drop this form factor in six months after the next refresh.

Jibbajabba
Feb 27, 2012, 09:07 AM
All the while, Siri is still considered beta, another thing that Apple doesn't tell you.

Hah ? They said from day #1 it is still in beta ...

MonkeySee....
Feb 27, 2012, 09:13 AM
What I have taken form this thread.

- The women is an idiot and its clearly staged

and

- People are still going on about the Mac vs PC ad which isn't the same as this at all.

----------

Samsung will be dead to me when/if Apple decide to ditch their crappy LCD screens for OLED.

You think Samsungs over saturated screens are better that Apples Retina Display?

Serious question.

PracticalMac
Feb 27, 2012, 09:30 AM
I can honestly say that's what I thought at first. But after handling it for a few weeks, I got used to the size quickly.

Remember, it's a hybrid phone/tablet device. So it does need to be a little large. Once you start using the s-pen it makes more sense; well, to me it made more sense.

I wouldn't mind having one to keep. (Working on that)

-Y.

I saw another commercial focusing on its features (far better then the versus iPhone ad), and I am impressed!

Samsung does make great products. Them and LG.
Strong competitors.

MonkeySee....
Feb 27, 2012, 09:53 AM
(Repeated for the millionth time in these threads) You don't need to use the pen.

--

As far as quotes, Steve Jobs also said:

Apple has no plans to make tablets. There's not enough of a market. - 2002

"It turns out people want keyboards. We look at the (idea of a slate) tablet, and we think it is going to fail (because it only has a touchscreen)." - 2003

"What good are tablets except to surf the web in the bathroom." - 2003

Believing everything that Jobs ever said in the past, is like believing a used car salesman. He only likes the features of the models that he has in his own current inventory.

--

One needs only look at the excitement that arose when Microsoft showed the Courier concept, or all the stylii available for the iPad, to know that there's a large segment of users who have a need for the additional ability to have accurate and fast pen input.

Quotes from 2002/3?? You know that was 10 years ago. In technology terms that's like 30 years ago.

LiesForTheLiars
Feb 27, 2012, 11:06 AM
Quotes from 2002/3?? You know that was 10 years ago. In technology terms that's like 30 years ago.

I should quote an old Popular Mechanics article since we're throwing out useless ones, "In the future, computers may weigh no more than one ton."

MacCurry
Feb 27, 2012, 12:59 PM
You think Samsungs over saturated screens are better that Apples Retina Display?

Serious question.

While the Retina Display is quite good it is again limited by surface area. Have you tried using a Samsung Galaxy Nexus or Note? They too are quite good and because of the surface area, I would prefer them over the iPhone4/4s or iPod Touch.

kdarling
Feb 27, 2012, 01:15 PM

Exactly the point. Things change :)

The iPhone's been seen for five years now. That's what, 15 years in your counting?

What was a good sales pitch at one point in time, might not make sense a few years later.

Cheers!