PDA

View Full Version : viglink dot com click througs

Peace
Feb 26, 2012, 03:52 PM
Maybe its me playing with a hack of android on this touch pad but sometimes when I click on a thread link in the spy it goes through a click through link first. Has MR started to use. Viglink.com as another source of income ? Or is it the browser on this android tablet ?

r.j.s
Feb 26, 2012, 03:53 PM
I notice this at work, so I assume it is a part of the CMS.

Peace
Feb 26, 2012, 03:57 PM
So a 3rd party data mining site is collecting data on the links I click on in the forum spy ?

r.j.s
Feb 26, 2012, 04:00 PM
So a 3rd party data mining site is collecting data on the links I click on in the forum spy ?

I don't pretend to know for sure, but I don't notice it on my home machine - Win 7 with Chrome or Firefox.

Peace
Feb 26, 2012, 04:07 PM
I don't pretend to know for sure, but I don't notice it on my home machine - Win 7 with Chrome or Firefox.

It doesn't matter what OS or browser you are using it is embedded in the website code.

Personally I'd like to know more about this since it does seem to collect data according to viglinks website.

LostSoul80
Feb 26, 2012, 04:15 PM
Maybe its me playing with a hack of android on this touch pad but sometimes when I click on a thread link in the spy it goes through a click through link first. Has MR started to use. Viglink.com as another source of income ? Or is it the browser on this android tablet ?

It's easy to spot the script inserted in the vBulletin's template (so not only in the Forum Spy).
Not a big deal. There is at least another stat tracker.

Peace
Feb 26, 2012, 04:23 PM
Its not just for stats. Its for ad revenue and I'd tracking also.

From viglinks website

Mouse over the link - notice it's a simple Amazon link. Now click on the link. Notice that an affiliate code and a tracking ID have been added.

If this is simple ad based revenue I understand but would still appreciate some clarification from arn the website owner.

It just seems to be a harmless way to make more money..sigh..

carry on !...

Doctor Q
Feb 26, 2012, 06:30 PM
Peace: MacRumors has been adding click-throughs to links for some time. Here is one thread about it. I guess VigLink is handling the details these days.

Peace
Feb 26, 2012, 06:55 PM
Peace: MacRumors has been adding click-throughs to links for some time. Here is one thread about it. I guess VigLink is handling the details these days.

Ya I know that now. I've never noticed it until I started using this crappy android port on this crappy HP Touch pad

Come on Apple. I sold my precious iPad 2 for the elusive 3