Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mfarris2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
Is there a free app that will allow me to take control of another Mac. (Fathers new iMac whom is several hundred miles away.) Or at least an app that I can pay monthly a reasonable charge instead of something like Go To My PC which needs a years fees up front.
It needs to be a simple interface as I am also not a Mac expert, but can get by in most instances.
My father told me he had called Apple and they were able to take over his computer. So I am hoping there is something else out there that I can use.
Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I use TeamViewer, which works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, iPhone, iPad, etc. It's very secure and quite simple to set up and use (no messing around with ports), which comes in handy if providing remote support to those who aren't very computer literate. You can talk them through the setup on their end and be connected to them in less than a minute. It's also free for personal use. I prefer it over LogMeIn because it includes free file transfers between computers, a feature I use frequently.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I like logmein its free for personal use and I prefer the simple but powerful interface. They also have a nice iPad app that you can use to control the Mac or PC as well :)

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
It can be done through screen sharing (although this is a little harder to setup) or if you both have chat accounts it can be done through iChat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.