PDA

View Full Version : Need new MBA... i5 or i7??

eggersj
Feb 28, 2012, 08:09 AM
Hello Everyone,

My 2008 1st Gen MBA is finally crapping out on me. Started with Kernal panics a couple weeks ago, Tried to clean it up, but now the sound won't work (greyed out) and Itunes won't play music or video (stays at 0:00). I think the logic board is going out again. I've already had it refurbished once in early 2010 through Apple, so I'm ready to upgrade!

I am planning on the 11", 4GB model, as I am traveling more for work. I am wondering if I should go with the i5 or upgrade to the i7.

I just use this machine for streaming video, Itunes, word, excel, and basic web surfing (NYT, Wash Post, Insideline, CNET etc.... )

Will I notice a huge difference between the i5 and the i7?

Sorry for the elementary question, I just wanted to get some feedback.

simsaladimbamba
Feb 28, 2012, 08:11 AM
The i5 should more than suffice your computational needs.

Mac Benchmarks by Geekbench (http://www.primatelabs.ca/geekbench/mac-benchmarks/)

Angelo95210
Feb 28, 2012, 08:19 AM
i5 will be fine for your needs. i7 is useful for pro applications like FCX, Adobe etc.

KPOM
Feb 28, 2012, 08:44 AM
Coming from the original, either model will be a significant upgrade, between the CPU and the SSD. With the new models coming out in a few months (likely around July) you might consider seeing what's available from the refurbished stock.

eggersj
Feb 28, 2012, 09:21 AM
Thanks guys! Well, I guess that settles it!

I know there are new ones possibly coming out sometime soon, but that's ok with me. If it was next week I would wait, but I can't make it to July.

I get about 8% off through my companies discount, so it won't be too bad. Certainly MUCH cheaper than my 1st gen. ;)