Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

E36 Pilot

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2005
Hey guys. I am new here and would love some help with a new Motorola Razr I just picked up.

I am totally unfamiliar with how it is supposed to interact with my computer. I am home for Fathers day and using an older G4 without Bluetooth. As such, I would like to connect the phone using a USB cable. The goal is to transfter a mp3 ring tone I created using Quicktime Pro.

When I connect the phone to the G4, the phone does not mount. Do I need some special driver/software? Do I need to use isync? I really have no idea what I'm doing and would love some help.

Many thanks.

-Ted

psycho bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2003
Leeds, England
I sync will allow contacts and dates to be transferred between the machines. The Razr should have come with a CD that contains some utilities for doing what you require if memory serves.

I've never tried syncing via USB but to transfer from via BT I use the browse device feature that the BT transfer utility has. I don't know what the equivalent for USB would be. Although a very mundane and patronising answer have you looked in the phones manual for help?

E36 Pilot

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2005
Thanks Bob,

I have read the phone's manual. Interestingly, it only discusses transferring via bluetooth and only from the phone to other devices. Also, the phone does not come with software of any kind... Very odd.

I have bluetooth on my home computer. I may just have to wait until I get home to activate it.

Anyone have any other info?

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
I hate you by the way.

Me = about to get a RAZR
Verizon = calls about a special deal
Dad = exits the web browser and I dont get a RAZR
Me = goes to store and gets Moto V710

Even though qualitywise the V710 is the best phone out there, I WANT A RAZR!

enoch

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2005
I recently tried to mount my nokia by the USB cable that came with it, thinking that it would show up as an external hard drive. It didn't, so that's probably a quirk of the symbian operating system.

E36 Pilot

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2005
Thanks for all the info guys. Here's an update...

I spent a ton of time trying to figure out the deal with the mobile phone tools in the US. Turns out, the software is only compatable with PCs. Since I'm 300 miles from my home computer with bluetooth, I went to the Apple store today to play around with some of their Bluetooth enabled computers. After some time, I was able to get my razr to pair with a G5 imac identical to mine. It doesn't offer the transfer speed of the USB but at least I know my mac and razr will get along!

I'm going to follow up on the USB issue, but the confirmed bluetooth connectivity is a load off.

Thanks again.

darthchase

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2005
i'm having the same problem

i got a v3 razr last week (for $99 at best buy!). but it didn't come with any software like you guys in the UK get. i managed to iSync my razr with a G5 (without bluetooth) running OS X.3, using a USB cable, but i was only able to sync contacts from the address book (i didn't try the iCal).

but what i WANT to do is transfer files from my computer to the phone (homemade ringtones, wallpapers, etc) which i cannot seem to do. i was thinking the phone would mount on the desktop, like a cd. but nope...nada. the Motorola Mobile Phone Tools software appears to be only for Windows, not Mac. Half the reason i bought the razr was so that i can make my own mp3 ringtones, etc.
information on mac/razr file transfer (either USB or BT) is darned near non-existent. i'm just hoping to find out if anyone has managed to do it.
please lemme know, via email or on this forum.

has anyone had any luck with this?

thanks so much!
jason

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
darthchase said:
information on mac/razr file transfer (either USB or BT) is darned near non-existent. i'm just hoping to find out if anyone has managed to do it.
please lemme know, via email or on this forum.

has anyone had any luck with this?
Just got my black razor v3 (for FREE!!!) last week. Transfering over BT is simple. Enable BT discovery on the phone, and scan for new devices on the Mac. Pair them up. Then just browse the device from the BT menu in OS X.

Vster

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2005
Celina, TX
Please Help!!

According to this link the RAZR should be able to sync contacts and calandars, but I can only get the contacts. When I select the "Calandars" button in iSync it says (see image below) and when I open iCal then click the tab again, it still doesn't work. And the Help Viewer says that if you have iTunes 4.8 or later, to use that to sync, what is the deal? :confused:

Attachments

• iSync.jpg
    iSync.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 452

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
AliensAreFuzzy said:
Where'd you get one for free? You're lucky.
Nah, we're british! :D

American cellphone operators seem to be atrocious - cost, lack of deals, crappy handsets... It's the only thing I'd say britain is ahead of america on, technology-wise...

I've had the V3 Razr for about 3 months, it looks nice, but it's the worst phone I've ever owned! My old Sony Ericsson worked a lot better with OS X - I could send text messages from the address book!

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
You can get a RAZR for free through tigerdirect.com and cingular. At least you used to be able to. They might have stopped their deal.

qzak

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2005
works for me too

yeah, i got my Razr like a week ago (99 at best buy too!). got home and synched it up to my Powerbook no problem. Edited my mp3s to make custom ring tones and transfered them wirelessly over to my phone no problem. Browse device in your bluetooth menu on the finder bar, connect to your phone and you should see folders and stuff, you just upload you mp3 to the music folder.

darthchase

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2005
yeah, but see, i don't have a bluetooth mac! it's an older G4 with no bluetooth. i have a mini-USB cable, which i used, and can indeed get the address book contacts synced easily...but there's no icon mounted on the hard drive or anything that would allow me to transfer files like mp3s or pictures. my question is, how do i transfer files to my Razr via a USB cable? i'll check out that link above. thanks for that!
a coworker of mine suggested i upload the files i want up to an ftp site and then type in the url on my phone and download them that way, but that seems kinda laborious.
if i got one of those USB bluetooth adapters, do you think that might make it work? i'd still need to get the bluetooth software, wouldn't I? there's no bluetooth settings or anything on my system preferences panel...

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
SumDumGuy said:
DataPilot makes software that you can use to exchange MP3s, photos, etc. between you phone and Mac. I use it with my Motorola V220 and it works great.

I have been considering that software and cable kit, for a moto v60s. what is the good and bad? can you tell me more? did it work with 10.3 and 10.4? I am very curious!
Thanks.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
dotdotdot said:
I hate you by the way.

Me = about to get a RAZR
Verizon = calls about a special deal
Dad = exits the web browser and I dont get a RAZR
Me = goes to store and gets Moto V710

Even though qualitywise the V710 is the best phone out there, I WANT A RAZR!

lol, quality wise? blah. Verizon has a hard time making phones that aren't crippled out of the wazzu. You have to "hack" iSync just to be able to transfer contacts over. And forget about sending pictures and mp3s to the phone. Verizon disabled the OBEX therefore you must pay Verizon to store the song or picture onto their servers then download it to your computer from the interweb. I swear, if I wasn't hurting for money I'd have gotten off the plan with the rest of the family and go Cingular.

Andrman

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2005
darthchase said:
if i got one of those USB bluetooth adapters, do you think that might make it work? i'd still need to get the bluetooth software, wouldn't I? there's no bluetooth settings or anything on my system preferences panel...
Yes, it would work for sure as long as you get one supported by Apple (all the name brand ones are).

You already have all the software you'll need (OS X).

yellowlex

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2005
I can sync my ical with my razor and transfer files I can even sync from my contact to my phone but how do I sync from my phone contacts to my mac?

Andrman

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2005
Is this with BT or USB?

I think using iSync may just be one-way with the V3, from the computer to the phone. Make a test contact on the phone and then run a sync.

I personally use an app called OnSync to sync my contacts between my phone and computer; it goes both ways and has tons of options and ways of recording to the phone and Adress Book, or Entourage or whatever you choose. Right now it requires a USB cable to be used with the V3, but they are standard easy-to-find cables. (Bluetooth support for the V3 is coming)

mikeyredk

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2003
Trying to connect the razr with my iMac G5 using VPC can anyone help, its not working :(

installed the phone tools and all

psycho bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2003
Leeds, England
Well all I can suggest is that you make sure BT is turned on on the RAZR and that it is discoverable, this is only done 30 seconds at a time manually (see manual or visit the connections preference pain on the RAZR which is under options or something similar then select bluetooth and navigate from there). Use the BT setup assistant on the mac to pair with the phone then use the BT transfer wizard to send data back and forth. You may have to keep making the phone discoverabe if it isn't automatically seen by the mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.