PDA

View Full Version : Brand new i5 13" Air and severe flash player jumping

prvt.donut
Feb 29, 2012, 06:44 AM
:rolleyes:

Wife's late 2010 11" MBA plays flash video great, it's only when playing 1080 flash video to the TV does it have trouble, but Plex fixes that.

Then I get the 13" i5. Expecting much better performance, but just playing flash video gets about 2 frames a second, yet alone full screen and I haven't even bothered with connecting it to the TV!:(

Anyone else had this problem?

tonyshaker
Feb 29, 2012, 07:16 AM
Hey man i had the same problem but when i called applecare they just said check the internet speed and update to the latest flash player.:D

rw3
Feb 29, 2012, 08:35 AM
Use Chrome when using everything that has Flash. Safari sucks at it and honestly, I hate Flash...it is the 90's of the internet.

prvt.donut
Feb 29, 2012, 08:49 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

It's brand new, first flash page I went to said I had to install, so I installed flash from the Adobe site.

Again, I have a 2010 MacBook air which uses only safari and can play back flash video just fine using the same Internet connection!

I thought flash now offloaded processing to the GPU.

gentlefury
Feb 29, 2012, 09:10 AM
:rolleyes:

Wife's late 2010 11" MBA plays flash video great, it's only when playing 1080 flash video to the TV does it have trouble, but Plex fixes that.

Then I get the 13" i5. Expecting much better performance, but just playing flash video gets about 2 frames a second, yet alone full screen and I haven't even bothered with connecting it to the TV!:(

Anyone else had this problem?

Flash video over HDMI doesn't work. Plain and simple. The good thing is, everything that runs on crap....er flash....can be intervened with XBMC and/or Plex.

jsolares
Feb 29, 2012, 11:15 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

It's brand new, first flash page I went to said I had to install, so I installed flash from the Adobe site.

Again, I have a 2010 MacBook air which uses only safari and can play back flash video just fine using the same Internet connection!

The 2010 Air has a better GPU and i do wonder if flash offloads to the HD3000 in OSX or not.

Even so sometimes i have slowdowns on my iMac :(

MBHockey
Feb 29, 2012, 11:24 AM

I have the same MBA (2011, 13" i5) and I don't have problems watching 1080p trailers on Youtube. Can you post a link to the video that is giving you problems?

ryannel2003
Feb 29, 2012, 01:04 PM
Flash video over HDMI doesn't work. Plain and simple. The good thing is, everything that runs on crap....er flash....can be intervened with XBMC and/or Plex.

I've run flash videos from my 13" MBP to my 32" Vizio using HDMI and it's never stuttered before. I would think the Air could do this as well.

gentlefury
Feb 29, 2012, 02:27 PM
I've run flash videos from my 13" MBP to my 32" Vizio using HDMI and it's never stuttered before. I would think the Air could do this as well.

I have a mac mini plugged into my 46" thru HDMI and it sucks at playing 1080p flash. H.264 1080p plays smooth as anything tho! If I try playing hulu full screen it runs like crap. If I run hulu thru XBMC it plays perfectly. I can play it smoothly with flash if I change my refresh to 24hz...but it will micro stutter occasionally....which leads me to believe that its not a capability problem, its a flash video frequency problem...it just doesn't sync with a tv well.

prvt.donut
Feb 29, 2012, 04:53 PM
That's weird, today it is playing them well... :confused:

If you want to watch flash video full screen though a HD TV, get plex and install video plug-ins for the content. Or set the screen to mirroring and the resolution to 720p.

:D

prvt.donut
Mar 4, 2012, 03:18 AM
Spoke too soon.

Some videos still play awful. Safari beach balls, and freezes a lot.

Not all videos do it. Some youtube videos play like that, others are fine.:confused:

phairphan
Mar 4, 2012, 07:13 AM
Make sure you are actually playing Flash on Youtube. Youtube has a nasty habit of kicking me into the HTML5 beta group. HTML5 video on Youtube is HORRIBLE. It's beach ball city on everything from my Air, to the Mini connected to my TV, to my Mac Pro. Not all videos are available in HTML5, so that might explain why, at the same resolution, some videos work well and others don't.

prvt.donut
Mar 4, 2012, 11:35 PM

Make sure you are actually playing Flash on Youtube. Youtube has a nasty habit of kicking me into the HTML5 beta group. HTML5 video on Youtube is HORRIBLE. It's beach ball city on everything from my Air, to the Mini connected to my TV, to my Mac Pro. Not all videos are available in HTML5, so that might explain why, at the same resolution, some videos work well and others don't.

I did think maybe it's an issue with YouTube formatting.

How do you know if they are going to use html5? Is there a way of making sure it never uses it?

prvt.donut
Mar 5, 2012, 02:33 AM

Saying that though, it's weird I don't have any issues with the other MBA!?!?

prvt.donut
Mar 19, 2012, 09:36 PM
HTML5!

DAMN YOU!

If you experience this problem of safari freezing and video being horrific in youtube, then it is true, HTML5 is the cause.

you have to right click the video, and there is an option to go to the youtube HTML5 options page, where you can then opt out of the offending scheme.

It is weird that Apple has been saying that HTML5 will make Flash redundant, but then their OSX web browser doesn't support it.:rolleyes:

phairphan
May 17, 2012, 08:20 PM
Glad you figured this out. Given your problems, I was fairly certain HTML5 was the culprit. Don't be surprised if you occasionally get moved back into the HTML5 beta. I really don't understand how it can work fine on an iPhone, but bring a Mac Pro to a crawl.