PDA

View Full Version : Some Casemakers Suggest iPad 3 to Be Called iPad HD

MacRumors
Mar 1, 2012, 03:06 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/01/some-casemakers-suggest-ipad-3-to-be-called-ipad-hd/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/03/ipadhd.jpg

Gizmodo is floating a rumor that the name for Apple's next tablet will be iPad HD, rather than iPad 3. They base this information on alleged part listings (http://gizmodo.com/5889656/is-the-new-ipad-going-to-be-called-ipad-hd) from Griffin and Belkin.
Accessories manufacturers don't have a clue about Apple marketing plans until the very last minute. They usually get the physical specifications for new product versions in advance, so they can have products ready for launch. They also may get information about naming for product packaging, close to the release.We are skeptical about this assumption that third-party accessory makers get information about unreleased Apple products, but share the rumor for the sake of discussion. In the past, Apple may have disclosed the designs of new products with third parties, but Apple CEO Steve Jobs said the company stopped the practice (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/07/16/coverage-of-apples-iphone-4-press-conference/) because of leaks.

Given Apple's recent propensity to name iPhone and iPad models using a numerical system, it is likely that the next iPad will follow this trend.

Article Link: Some Casemakers Suggest iPad 3 to Be Called iPad HD (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/01/some-casemakers-suggest-ipad-3-to-be-called-ipad-hd/)

AustinIllini
Mar 1, 2012, 03:09 PM
Creative. I would prefer 3.

LostSoul80
Mar 1, 2012, 03:13 PM
I like it. More than iPad 3 at least.

kironin
Mar 1, 2012, 03:13 PM
what's creative about 3 ? the most obvious major updates are in the camera and the screen, so actually iPadHD makes a lot of sense.

GenesisST
Mar 1, 2012, 03:14 PM
HD is overused... and to be honest, only dictionaries should have the right to use it...

JonneyGee
Mar 1, 2012, 03:14 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

Enough with all the letters. Just make it simple and name it iPad 3. Also HD would be a bad name for it as it would undermine the retina display's resolution, which is higher than 1920x1080 if rumors are correct.

Icaras
Mar 1, 2012, 03:15 PM
iPad 2S HD?

How would you like to order the iPad 2S HD 64GB Wi-fi + 4G LTE?

Battlefield Fan
Mar 1, 2012, 03:15 PM
Case makers are already wrong. They also thought the iPhone 4s was going to be the iPhone 5. Guess this is why its on page 2...

osufever
Mar 1, 2012, 03:17 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

With Steve being gone, some changes is naming might happen. But an iPad HD would seem like the only update would be to a retina display. Hopefully not. The other rumors out there are as intriguing as the retina display to me.

Andy-V
Mar 1, 2012, 03:17 PM
Apple likes simplicity right? There's not a more simple and clear name than 'iPad 3'.

shanmugam
Mar 1, 2012, 03:18 PM
name means nothing, simpler better

stick with iPad 3

thekeyring
Mar 1, 2012, 03:19 PM
The iPhone was only ever named after it's generation 1/5 times, with the iPhone 4. The other times it's had weird other names.

iPod touch is never named, just "3rd generation" or "4th generation" can be found when looking at the product info.

So far it seems iPad is a hybrid of these naming methods. iPad IS named, just after which generation of product it is.

Patriks7
Mar 1, 2012, 03:20 PM
iPad 2S HD?

That's like ordering an Anrdoid device...

chrmjenkins
Mar 1, 2012, 03:21 PM
Case makers are already wrong. They also thought the iPhone 4s was going to be the iPhone 5. Guess this is why its on page 2...

The iPhone 5 cases that were going around were based on the leaked tapered design that never actually happened. I don't think anyone every thought they were making a case that looked different that was for something called the 4S, so the situation isn't the same here.

edit: also, the cases we saw leak were from Chinese non name-brand manufacturers. We didn't see any designs from the big name brands until the phone was announced.

nfl46
Mar 1, 2012, 03:28 PM
iPad HD is cool. I will still call it iPad, anyway. Lol.

AustinIllini
Mar 1, 2012, 03:30 PM
And then what's next? Honestly, just call it iPad 3. Everyone's just going to call it "iPad" anyway

Mad-B-One
How about iSlaHDe? They registered iSlate after all! :D

Also, they could bundle the iPad HD with the HD sunglasses (http://consumerist.com/2009/09/hd-sunglasses-use-the-power-of-stupidity-to-increase-real-world-resolution.html) from this homeshopping TV channel. :cool:

Now back to reality: Who thinks that Apple will start to change their strategy of keeping it simple? They have their own word for "HD" if they would use it - which they don't - it is called "Retina." They didn't use it for the iPhone - they called it iPhone 4 - not iPhone HD or iPhone Retina... you get the hint? :rolleyes:

Russell L
I'd be happy with the 'HD' moniker--makes it sound like an upgrade in quality (which it would be).

nickelt
Mar 1, 2012, 03:31 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Apple likes simplicity right? There's not a more simple and clear name than 'iPad 3'.

How about just ipad?

trunten
Mar 1, 2012, 03:33 PM
name means nothing, simpler better

stick with iPad 3

I've said it before, but why not just iPad. No numbers or letters after it, just iPad.

Kid A
Mar 1, 2012, 03:33 PM
To echo what someone earlier said, i disagree with the article's assertion that Apple has a propensity to name iOS devices numerically. This has happened, exactly what, twice, EVER?? The same number of times they've named an upgrade using the previous number and adding an S. And if we go by "recent propensity", then the iPhone 4S being the latest device, you'd have to expect "iPad 2S", NOT "iPad 3". :rolleyes: (Just saying).

iPod touch - always just called that, regardless the gen.

iPhone (not iPhone 1)
iPhone 3G (not 2)
iPhone 3GS (not 3)
iPhone 4
iPhone 4S (not 5)

iPad (not iPad 1)
iPad 2

Who knows what they'll call "iPad 3". I'd guess "iPad 3", but it could be iPad HD, iPad Pro, iPad 2S, iPad, iPad 2+, iPad 2HD, iPad 2X, who knows...

I know this is totally unrelated, but remember when they dropped the expected "3" from Final Cut Studio?

Final Cut Studio
Final Cut Studio 2
Final Cut Studio (again!)

They don't enumerate iterations of Macs or iPods or Apple TV.

I really don't see any pattern here.

What would be interesting is if they DO call it "iPad 3" it would actually be setting a new precedent for iPad naming that no other Apple product seems to follow, including iPhone which has only once been named numerically per its generation.

deannnnn
Mar 1, 2012, 03:36 PM
I really hope it's not the iPad HD. Then what will the next one be called? iPad HD 2? iPad HD 4? iPad 4? Or iPad 3? For the sake of the future of the iPad, it should be called iPad 3.

cargath
Mar 1, 2012, 03:41 PM
Well, there's rumors they want to keep selling the iPad 2, so it makes sense not calling the new iPad "iPad 3", i'd make "iPad 2" sound outdated.

Jayse
Mar 1, 2012, 03:47 PM
Just no!

iPad HD...are they even being serious? It won't happen now or ever.

Kid A
Mar 1, 2012, 03:47 PM

False.
"iPad" is simpler. ;)

...although perhaps not clearer.
So, true? :confused:

westbroek
Mar 1, 2012, 03:49 PM
iPad 3 sounds better.

Friscohoya
Mar 1, 2012, 03:51 PM
Well, there's rumors they want to keep selling the iPad 2, so it makes sense not calling the new iPad "iPad 3", i'd make "iPad 2" sound outdated.

This sounds logical to me.

jmcrutch
Mar 1, 2012, 03:53 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

iPod Photo is another example. Different name but everyone still just called it an iPod.

iPad 2S, iPad 3, iPad HD - regardless people will still just call it an iPad.

chrmjenkins
Mar 1, 2012, 03:56 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

How about just ipad?

Can't really do that, especially if you plan to sell multiple models at once. They can do that with the mac pro, imac, macbook pro, macbook air and such because as soon as they come out with a new model, they stop selling the old one. If they keep selling the iPad 2 like some speculate, you need some sort of differentiation between the two.

Four oF NINE
Mar 1, 2012, 04:12 PM
How about the iSlate Heavy? :cool: I'm liking that a lot!! :)

rmwebs
Mar 1, 2012, 04:14 PM
This would work, we'd have:

iPad = iPad 2 8GB basic model
and
iPAd HD = iPad 3 Retina.

IMO I hate the numbering at the end, just keep it in line with the Mac line, no numbers.

Chupa Chupa
Mar 1, 2012, 04:21 PM
Well, based on the "iPhone 5" fiasco I don't think accessory makers have any inside knowledge -- they are just guessing. It might be educated, but it's still a guess.

Personally "iPad HD" seems awkward b/c what would Apple call the next model? The "iPad HD 2"? That's a mouthful.

chrmjenkins
Mar 1, 2012, 04:27 PM
Well, based on the "iPhone 5" fiasco I don't think accessory makers have any inside knowledge -- they are just guessing. It might be educated, but it's still a guess.

Personally "iPad HD" seems awkward b/c what would Apple call the next model? The "iPad HD 2"? That's a mouthful.

HDS? iPad 4?

Jason S.
Mar 1, 2012, 04:27 PM

This is exactly what I thought when I first read the article. The iPad HD name actually seems quite plausible to me. Makes sense for a retina display and better cameras, and of course a faster processor and more graphics power would be needed to handle the display, along with a better battery to keep the "legendary" 10 hours battery life. Even with all of these changes, the main selling points will be, as far as we know right now, the retina display and possibly high-definition FaceTime.

But we'll see on the 7th.

rdowns
Mar 1, 2012, 04:30 PM
Who cares? They could call it watery diarrhea and it wouldn't make a difference.

maconservative
Mar 1, 2012, 05:00 PM
iPad 2S HD?

Starting to sound like some of the Android devices being released.

:D

avenjer
Mar 1, 2012, 05:01 PM
What about HiPad?

baryon
Mar 1, 2012, 05:11 PM
Oh god I hate the "HD" word so much, it doesn't mean anything. The word "High" is relative, what do you mean "High"? Higher than what? Marketing loves these words, like "High Speed USB" followed by "Full Speed USB" and then "Super Mega Ultra Faster USB v 2.0" followed by "Much Much Much faster USB than the previous one + 9 and even faster than that times two!", etc… It's lame how High Speed USB today is actually very slow, how does that even make sense?

The iPad 3 certainly will have a much higher resolution than the official "Full HD" specification of 1080 x something pixels, so why cause confusion calling it HD? iPad 3 sounds just fine to me!

SBlue1
Mar 1, 2012, 05:25 PM
its time for the announcement, the rumors are getting out of hand. this, or apple is feeding its employees fake rumors to find leaks.

striker33
Mar 1, 2012, 05:27 PM
The term HD is generally applied to 720p.

The iPad 3 screen is more than double that of 720p.

Therefore, I believe a more suitable name would be 'iPad OMEGA HD'.

Or just 'iPad 3'.

TheChosen
Mar 1, 2012, 05:58 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

This is what I absolutely HATE about Apple. While all other tech companies announce then showcase their future products months ahead of launch,with Apple all you get are lame "leaks" and guessing games.

shanmugam
Mar 1, 2012, 06:21 PM
I've said it before, but why not just iPad. No numbers or letters after it, just iPad.

it will be confusing then when apple sells the older model then they have tell

iPad first generation
iPad second generation
and so on ...

it will be difficult in the resale market also.

gadget123
Mar 1, 2012, 06:35 PM
Iphone 3GS HD or Iphone 4?

Says it all. Ipad 3 it is.

Dr McKay
Mar 1, 2012, 06:37 PM
This just doesn't sound "Apple"

shanmugam
Mar 1, 2012, 06:42 PM
Iphone 3GS HD or Iphone 4?

Says it all. Ipad 3 it is.

exactly!!!

iPad 2S A5.5 HD iOS 5.1 and add 4G and blaze some where in between.

b166er
Mar 1, 2012, 06:48 PM
I think HD is kind of overused in the App store already. Most iPad versions of iPhone apps are called "_______ HD!"

Honestly I liked how it was with the iPods. This iPod is newer than that iPod. No numbers tacked on to the name. People who really cared to check could look which generation it was and that was that. Until the shuffle, nano, etc starting popping up anyway.

Either way I'm betting they call it iPad 3.

striker33
Mar 1, 2012, 06:59 PM
it will be confusing then when apple sells the older model then they have tell

iPad first generation
iPad second generation
and so on ...

it will be difficult in the resale market also.

Not really.

They still call the iPod Touch the iPod Touch, not iPod Touch 9 or whatever the current release is.

Its perfectly fine for standardised naming.

Kaibelf
Mar 1, 2012, 07:06 PM
Yawn. Remember that time Apple was releasing a large-screen iPhone 5, and a moronic third party company manufactured tens of thousands of cases that ended up being completely useless? What, you don't remember that, Case-Mate and Hard Candy? I sure do. :D

nate13
Mar 1, 2012, 07:13 PM
I like it. More than iPad 3 at least.

So then the next product can be iPad SuperHD2?

Since the iPad 2 was at least 720p, wouldn't it be HD as well?

The rumors around launch time suck almost as bad as the sound of iPad HD.

AriX
Mar 1, 2012, 07:38 PM
I honestly think that it will be iPad 2S. Remember:

iPhone ("A1 (http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=S5L8900)")
iPhone 3G (new case, "A1 (http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=S5L8900)")
iPhone 3GS (faster, "A3 (http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=S5L8920)")

So logically:

iPad (A4 (http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=S5L8930))
iPad 2 (new case, faster, A5 (http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=S5L8940))
iPad 2S (faster, A6 (http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=S5L8950))

I think this will be Apple introducing the tick-tock pattern to the iPad, where the new model will be an 'S' release - similar case, but revised internals.

pmz
Mar 1, 2012, 09:03 PM
Its very possible that Apple wants to get away from these number-naming-schemes, as they're serving less to differentiate from older versions, and more to confuse status among their own product lines.

The casual observer takes little notice of when a product was first introduced, so numbering schemes like, AppleTV2, iPad 3, iPhone 4S, iOS 6....a bit whack, and a headache for the average joe.

I say, get away from it. Let the software have numbers. Let the hardware have names.

iPad HD sounds great.

next iPhone? iPhone HD? Maybe.

This AppleTV refresh? AppleTV HD

-----
iTunes is expected to be updated with 1080p video to serve....and they're also getting into what they called "HD" music?

Sounds like iTunes HD is coming our way too.
-----
Rumblings of Retina Display Macs/Macbooks this year? MacBook HD anyone?
---

Next year, they think of something else to totally re-identify the new models.

WatchTheThrone
Mar 1, 2012, 09:10 PM

-----> iPad

They're gonna drop the numbers from both the iPhone and iPad this year ala iPod!!
Its gonna be the 3rd generation iPad end of story!! Apple likes simplicity and HD seems overused!!

striker33
Mar 1, 2012, 09:15 PM
Its very possible that Apple wants to get away from these number-naming-schemes, as they're serving less to differentiate from older versions, and more to confuse status among their own product lines.

The casual observer takes little notice of when a product was first introduced, so numbering schemes like, AppleTV2, iPad 3, iPhone 4S, iOS 6....a bit whack, and a headache for the average joe.

I say, get away from it. Let the software have numbers. Let the hardware have names.

iPad HD sounds great.

next iPhone? iPhone HD? Maybe.

This AppleTV refresh? AppleTV HD

-----
iTunes is expected to be updated with 1080p video to serve....and they're also getting into what they called "HD" music?

Sounds like iTunes HD is coming our way too.
-----
Rumblings of Retina Display Macs/Macbooks this year? MacBook HD anyone?
---

Next year, they think of something else to totally re-identify the new models.

Anything with "HD" in it sounds terrible. And its incredibly misleading.

I suppose you want them to rename the iMac to "iMac HD" as well? :rolleyes:

pmz
Mar 1, 2012, 09:18 PM
Anything with "HD" in it sounds terrible. And its incredibly misleading.

I suppose you want them to rename the iMac to "iMac HD" as well? :rolleyes:

Might as well ;)

I'm not saying they should do this, but I can see it being on the table.

Rumple
Mar 1, 2012, 09:48 PM
I like iPad *(&)(^)^*&^(*%%%%&OUOIUPHIUJSDJJF???////][]{{{}{{;:><#3HD

isoMorpheus
Mar 1, 2012, 10:56 PM
I'd be happy with the 'HD' moniker--makes it sound like an upgrade in quality (which it would be).

Usage mistake: Moniker means either a personal name or a nickname.

dabigkahuna
Mar 2, 2012, 12:49 AM
Personally, I expect an iPad 3. I can see an "HD" name, but see problems with the "HD" apps already applying to all iPad specific apps. And I think it confuses future naming (iPad HD2, etc).

Nevertheless, just for fun, I realized something that could tie in present and past rumors. I remember some time ago reading that a retina like screen iPad may be for high demand users (artists, whatever) and carry a premium price.

Sooo, what if Apple does BOTH? An HD iPad with the retina screen - at a high price - AND an iPad 3 which would be the same resolution, but better in other ways (faster, longer lasting battery, better camera).

Of course, there would be the issue with Apple trying to limit the models they do of almost everything. Still, it would cover that older rumor so I found it interesting, though I doubt it would happen. Hope it doesn't since it would mean a lot more money for the better screen!

Trhodezy
Mar 2, 2012, 01:15 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B5141a Safari/7534.48.3)

iPadHDR

HD + Retina. ;)

dacreativeguy
Mar 2, 2012, 01:31 AM
Who cares? They could call it watery diarrhea and it wouldn't make a difference.

Well then an iPad would really help with that.

Snowshiro
Mar 2, 2012, 01:31 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)
But an iPad HD would seem like the only update would be to a retina display.

That would be very very unlikely. You're talking about 4x the number of pixels to shunt around, which needs some pretty serious horsepower. The current hardware would run like a dog.

nightmars
Mar 2, 2012, 03:37 AM
iPad HD ?? - when actually referring to something like resolution, why not go for iPad 2K then ?????

BobbyRond
Mar 2, 2012, 04:17 AM
iPad 2S HD?

http://androidphonenamegenerator.com/

Makes me laugh everytime.

BergerFan
Mar 2, 2012, 04:37 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Sometimes, the easiest and most obvious thing to do(calling it iPad 3), is also the right thing to do.

BergerFan
Mar 2, 2012, 04:38 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

iPad 2S HD?

Lmao! Awesome. :D

jclardy
Mar 2, 2012, 07:03 AM
Given the technical meaning of high definition (Anything higher resolution than standard definition)...the iPad 1 and 2 are already "HD".

Calling the iPad 3 the iPad HD does a couple things:

- Downplays its actual screen resolution, which is higher than what people associate with HD ("Full HD" 1080P)
- Implies that the iPad 1 and 2 can't play HD content, which they can.

Not to mention it will make future naming schemes more complicated as the 3rd generation will be HD, what will 4th generation be, iPad 3 or 4? Or do they have to come up with another moniker?

Of course, they could just call it iPad 2S, where the S stands for "Screen" :D

MasterHowl
Mar 2, 2012, 07:11 AM
No way is it gonna be called "iPad HD", it just doesn't roll off the tongue like "iPad 3".

ChristianJapan
Mar 2, 2012, 07:15 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B5141a Safari/7534.48.3)

iPadHDR

HD + Retina. ;)

That's already gone for high dynamic range ... Plus too long

Stick with 3 make sense; everyone got use to it

eleathar
Mar 2, 2012, 07:22 AM
When a product becomes "stable" in the product line, like imac, macbook and ipod, numbers don't make any sense (maybe ipad 3 is possible, but I can't imagine ipad 7 between few years).
I think Apple will drop numbers soon for both ipad and iphone.

the8thark
Mar 2, 2012, 07:40 AM
Gizmodo
Enough said. I don't believe a word they say after their terrible history we all know about.

HarryKeogh
Mar 2, 2012, 08:54 AM
iPad HD now in color!

bemacbe
Mar 2, 2012, 09:22 AM

I think there is a better chance of it being called iPad 2s. iPad Pro, really?! That is so overused.

Kilamite
Mar 2, 2012, 09:40 AM
'iPad HD' games now called 'iPad HD HD' games.

I think it'll be called the iPad 3. While Apple hasn't really used numbers as a naming convention, the iPad and iPhone are different to Macs which don't receive numbers after each iteration.

iPad and iPhone are on a yearly cycle, and Apple has to compete with other tablet and phone makers. Apple isn't going after strong PC marketshare, but they are with the iPad and iPhone for the tablet and phone market. Having numbers after each iteration makes it clear it is a new model, and is easy for consumers to talk about.

The Mac doesn't need a number convention because people probably buy them once every 3-5 years. I'd say people buy a new iPhone and iPad far more frequent than a new computer, given that the iPhone is usually bought on a contract, and the iPad still has a good reselling value for those who wish to update to the latest and greatest every 1-2 years.

shanmugam
Mar 2, 2012, 11:26 AM
I honestly think that it will be iPad 2S. Remember:

iPhone ("A1 (http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=S5L8900)")
iPhone 3G (new case, "A1 (http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=S5L8900)")
iPhone 3GS (faster, "A3 (http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=S5L8920)")

So logically:

iPad (A4 (http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=S5L8930))
iPad 2 (new case, faster, A5 (http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=S5L8940))
iPad 2S (faster, A6 (http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=S5L8950))

I think this will be Apple introducing the tick-tock pattern to the iPad, where the new model will be an 'S' release - similar case, but revised internals.

iPad 2S is true if only there is a CPU speed increase alone.

I think we know iPad 3 killer feature is the screen resolution.

----------

The Mac doesn't need a number convention because people probably buy them once every 3-5 years. I'd say people buy a new iPhone and iPad far more frequent than a new computer, given that the iPhone is usually bought on a contract, and the iPad still has a good reselling value for those who wish to update to the latest and greatest every 1-2 years.

iPad 2 resale value is lower compared to iPad 1 resale value last year this time around

http://instantsale.ebay.com/offer/Apple-iPad-2-Wi-Fi/13646/

SockRolid
Mar 2, 2012, 12:00 PM
Maybe Apple will improve its speakers and call it "iPad Hi-Fi"? :rolleyes:

Icaras
Mar 2, 2012, 12:07 PM

Wow, that is awesome. Thanks for that :)

toddybody
Mar 2, 2012, 12:45 PM
Yeah, like the same case manufacturers who banked on a 4" iPhone 5 (rather than 4S)

AmpSkillz
Mar 2, 2012, 11:26 PM
well, the iphone only changed numbers with form factor changes so i am guessing they will call it iPad 2HD or iPad LTE and not change the number

HD would make sense to promote retina display, maybe HD video recording and 1080 airplay?

then again the form factor is slightly expected to change so who knows...

Icemilk
Mar 3, 2012, 02:53 AM
If the rumors are true:

Different display:
http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/02/ifixit_ipad_2_ipad_3_displays.jpg

Different case:
http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/02/thick.jpg

Different processor:
http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/02/ipad_3_logic_board_560.jpg

Different home button:
http://9to5mac.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/ipad-3-home-buttons.png

Possible LTE? Better camera?

If it holds up, the next iPad will be a different beast. Certainly no 'iPad 2S'. And something like 'iPad Retina' makes more sense than 'iPad HD'.

The absent marketing tag 'HD' might fly, but I don't think it floats. A simple '3' is somehow more creative.

AmpSkillz
Mar 3, 2012, 06:18 AM
If the rumors are true:

Different display:
Image (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/02/ifixit_ipad_2_ipad_3_displays.jpg)

Different case:
Image (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/02/thick.jpg)

Different processor:
Image (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/02/ipad_3_logic_board_560.jpg)

Different home button:
Image (http://9to5mac.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/ipad-3-home-buttons.png)

Possible LTE? Better camera?

If it holds up, the next iPad will be a different beast. Certainly no 'iPad 2S'. And something like 'iPad Retina' makes more sense than 'iPad HD'.

The absent marketing tag 'HD' might fly, but I don't think it floats. A simple '3' is somehow more creative.

holy crap, that new shell and home button look amazing! this kind of radical redesign would indeed be a different beast

Mark Booth
Mar 3, 2012, 09:33 AM
I've been predicting "iPad HD" for weeks. The main reason for Apple to use such a designation would be to separate it a bit from the iPad 2 model(s) that I believe Apple will continue to offer (at a reduced price).

It might also be called iPad Pro. But I'm betting on iPad HD.

Mark

Icemilk
Mar 3, 2012, 10:50 AM
holy crap, that new shell and home button look amazing! this kind of radical redesign would indeed be a different beast

I never said it was a radical redesign. But there are more physically obvious design changes than between the iPhone 4 and 4S or 3G and 3GS. It's hard to make any 'radical' changes on such a minimalist device, but I think the new display does the trick. So yeah buddy: different beast.

AmpSkillz
Mar 4, 2012, 12:48 AM
I never said it was a radical redesign. But there are more physically obvious design changes than between the iPhone 4 and 4S

I'm not sure that i would agree with a .8mm increase in thickness, and a slightly larger camera lens being any more of a physical redesign then moving the volume buttons, moving the light sensor, and adding and moving the black lines around the band (all of which were done from the introduction of the 4 to the introduction of the 4s)

IMO the only new thing worth changing the iPad number for in the next iPad is maybe the retina display, but when the iPhone got a retina display it was a whole new design as well, so it's anyone's guess.

i had to make a joke because i thought it was quite a stretch that you even considered the home button a note worthy change for there being a whole new iPad number . The case thickness was a kind of a stretch as well when you consider that it was likely only done to allow the retina display/increased battery. I am certain Apple would have used the same shell if they could have made everything fit.

Icemilk
Mar 4, 2012, 01:12 AM
i had to make a joke because i thought it was quite a stretch that you even considered the home button a note worthy change for there being a whole new iPad number

Sure sure. I dig it. But i was trying to point out that the next iPad will have a variety of changes. Nitpicking about the home button might be over doing it, but I think the case redesign is significant, although extremely subtle (will old cases fit?). No doubt, if Apple gutted the iPad 2 and replaced the internals it wouldn't be beyond them. But they didn't.

There is a host of rumored changes, some which seem negligible. After all the hubbub about the invites and missing home button though, I thought I'd throw it in there.

cheers

JAT
Mar 4, 2012, 11:32 AM
Given the technical meaning of high definition (Anything higher resolution than standard definition)...the iPad 1 and 2 are already "HD".
There is no technical meaning of high definition for tablet computers. Only for TV transmissions.

waloshin
Mar 4, 2012, 05:25 PM
The average consumer will just call the iPad 3 the iPad HD; they will not know the screen is beyond HD anyways.

kokako
Mar 4, 2012, 05:36 PM
I reckon "iPad HD" for sure, they won't do a "3" I think they'll faze out numbers in the iPads from now, iPhones included.
The iPad and the iPhone will just be a product line like the iMac, macbook pros etc, we will unofficially give them names i.e. 4th gen etc but it makes sense for apple to discontinue the numbers now.
iPad HD it is for 2012 and next year they'll just be iPad, numbers aren't necessary, they're not required for any other Apple products, we don't need a number to identify a new iPad.
Also I think we'll be seeing AppleTV "HD" on the 7th but later updates will just be AppleTV.
Roll on March 7, time for pressies

xionxiox
Mar 5, 2012, 10:02 AM

that's not good marketing. saying you got the iPad 3 sounds a lot better than saying "I got the new iPad"

slippyr4
Mar 5, 2012, 10:43 AM
If Apple were to keep selling the iPad 2 alongside the new one (probably at a reduced price point) then a name other than "iPad 3" might make sense.

If they were to try and sell the iPad 2 and the iPad 3 simultaneously, then the iPad 2 is cheapened and made to look obsolete by the iPad 3.

And keeping the cheaper to manufacture iPad 2 would allow them to drop the price a bit and sew up the lower end of the market, where Android is doing ok (before you flame me, I mean the market where the consumer doesn't want to drop more than $300 on a tablet and Apple has nothing to offer).

Lesser Evets
Mar 5, 2012, 06:28 PM
that's not good marketing. saying you got the iPad 3 sounds a lot better than saying "I got the new iPad"

iPad 3 sounds like "Oh, one of those old things" and iPad HD says, "I'M THE MOFO PIMP OF ALL THE UNIVERSE."

That's pretty good marketing.

Seriously, though, it says you have an iPad with that unbelievably desirable retina display. iPad 3/iPad HD: same thing, just one with a number and one with letters but both say the make and year. I wonder if next year they say iPad HD 2 or iPad HD+ or iPad Pro or iPadMini, etc etc.

xionxiox
Mar 6, 2012, 07:37 PM
iPad 3 sounds like "Oh, one of those old things" and iPad HD says, "I'M THE MOFO PIMP OF ALL THE UNIVERSE."

That's pretty good marketing.

Seriously, though, it says you have an iPad with that unbelievably desirable retina display. iPad 3/iPad HD: same thing, just one with a number and one with letters but both say the make and year. I wonder if next year they say iPad HD 2 or iPad HD+ or iPad Pro or iPadMini, etc etc.

I was saying that in response to the comment about making the name just "iPad" alone and nothing else.