PDA

View Full Version : Question Regarding the MBA Display

bookwrath
Mar 3, 2012, 10:59 AM
I just recently purchased a 2011 13" Base Model MBA to replace my aging MBP and I am having some issues with the display. Not trying to start a Samsung vs. LG debate but moreso wondering if what I am experiencing is to be expected.

The MBA I purchased has a very washed out, chalky look to the display. In addition colors are pretty off. The worst are reds... Darker shades are maroon, lighter shades are orange or pink. Whites and blacks seem pretty good but everything else is subpar at best. I've tried calibrating it several times and used almost all the profiles I could find on here with no luck.

Flickering is also present when scrolling and it fails all the cross-talk tests I have tried. I checked out this thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1200628&page=2 and when viewing the green image(without scrolling) it is flickering pretty bad... pretty much like a strobe light.

Is this to be expected with the Air or do I possibly have a defective display? I have already ordered a replacement but just wanted to set expectations in advance. I love everything else about the Air but this is definitely a deal breaker for me.

yongren
Mar 4, 2012, 06:36 PM
I would take it to an Apple Store and compare it with the display models. If yours looks significantly different, you may have a faulty display—which is a possibility, since I haven't heard many of this type of complaint. If that's the case, Apple should fix it for you free of charge.