Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macd123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2011
I purchased the macbook air 13 mid 2011 within min of it coming online worldwide.
Im currently living in Germany, so naturally as an native English speaker I opted to order one with an international english keyboard.

I choose the 128 SSD. With the dollar in the toilet I thought paying a 40% premium b/c of currency conversion would have secured me the best and the brightest from Apple.
Well it came quick...very quick and on the box it showed a date of July 10th, 2011. So yes we can all confirm the rumor of them waiting around. It shipped from Apple BV Netherlands and arrived at my door in Dusseldorf.

I was a happy apple customer all but for 5 min until I said to myself I can't read anything on this display. I thought how can it be??? It was just to bright, text wore off centered, colors on the right corner with the stop light thing (sorry still new to mac after 10 yearshehe) were bleeding and yes I found this form!!!

I did the terminal command prompt and long and behold I had an LG screen and on top of that I had a toshiba drive. I was pissed as s..t!!!
I played with the color calibrator and nothing worked to my liking.

Surprisingly, Apple called me to see if I was happy, and I said no. I said my unit is unusable. They sent TNT to collect it, and the sec TNT drove off apples website updated for a shipment replacement. I received it today, the build date of the brown box now is the 15th of July.

So... this one has the Samsung screen and yes the Toshiba drive. At least the 50 / 50 rule worked this time. Yes, I can read finally on this screen and Yes there is a significant difference between the screens!!!!!! I want to say this again, yes there is a significant difference in the screens!!!!!! Apple you have something coming on this one, just give it a little, tiny bit more time.

I did some research like others and popped open google-crome, everywhere around the world this is a discussion with the screens and drives, from Berlin to Tokyo people are complaining and buzzing this on online blogs. And yes, in all the stores I went to this week all models of display are samsung panels.

Now on a side note, the Samsung isn't as bright and yes when the screen is pitched, viewing angles are a tiny bit noticeable. But the bottom line is the Samsung is the premium display. MOREOVER, you can read text on it at any brightness setting. For all of you out there that received an LG display, return it, replace it, demand a new one until apple gets it right, for you will never, ever be happy without it!!!

Tootles

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2011
I'm happy with mine (LP116WH4-TJA3) but it's the 11" not the 13". The text I'm reading on it is even considerably smaller than how I had it on my previous laptop. It looks plenty sharp. The screen brightness does appear dimmer when I view it at extreme angles but, that's to be expected - All the better to thwart onlookers, too.

Chillaz

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2010
I've used mine a lot since I got it this Monday, and I must say: I'm perfectly happy with what I've bought, both the MBA and Lion - Both amazing on this little 13" machine.

My screen is not the Samsung, also use F.lux it's godlike for reading on screen.

squaremon

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2008
congratulation on getting a samsung display although u do realize it is still a inexpensive panel and graphic card. a bit like saying my male genital is 1 inch longer than his when it is clearly under 5 inches.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
congratulation on getting a samsung display although u do realize it is still a inexpensive panel and graphic card. a bit like saying my male genital is 1 inch longer than his when it is clearly under 5 inches.

That is the best analogy i've heard for a long time

Give yourself an :apple:

zerind

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2011
Am I the only person in the world who has no issues with the quality of the LG screen?

Lord Appleseed

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2010
Apple Manor
...For all of you out there that received an LG display, return it, replace it, demand a new one until apple gets it right, for you will never, ever be happy without it!!!
I hope you do know that you are posting nonsense?
Your screen was most likely faulty, damaged, or whatever.
I do own a MBA with LG Display and it looks very good. No tearing, no color problem, no nothing.

So to all the people with display problems: It's NOT because it's an LG display.
Am I the only person in the world who has no issues with the quality of the LG screen?

No, I am one of them too. Us just don't post so much about it, so it seems.
I am just waiting for the first "Samsung Display is crap"-thread...

Last edited:

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California

I'm not afraid to admit that I don't even know how to find that information (I looked in About This Mac), and I'm not sure I care, personally. I am happy with the display I have (maybe that is because it is the Samsung).

With that said, I completely understand where folks are coming from. They paid a premium price and want to ensure that they received the best hardware available in return. At some point, though, I think it is best to make a decision one way or the other - you're either going to return it and try for another model that still doesn't guarantee that you'll get the Samsung, or you'll learn to live with it and move on. Complaining about it on the forums endlessly probably isn't going to resolve anything.

macd123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2011
turn down brightness

yes it did, but it still was so difficult to read text.

andmm

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
yes it did, but it still was so difficult to read text.

I just got a air with the Toshiba ssd and the lg display. But I don't reconize the problem with the text... atleast not yet.
Was your screen LP133WP1-TJA3 ?

Could your former display have had an error?

Last edited:

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
OP, if you feel yourself struggling to read try entering this in terminal:

defaults -currentHost write -globalDomain AppleFontSmoothing -int 2

or this:

defaults -currentHost write -globalDomain AppleFontSmoothing -int 3

ATHmathieu

macrumors regular
You need to get a Lenovo X201 or X200 Tablet with the Outdoor 400Nit LCD. It's the best IPS you can get in a laptop. They are only available used now. Puts any Macbook screen to shame.

http://www.thinkpads.com/2009/10/15...ad-x200-tablet-with-outdoor-viewable-display/

DSC_0014.jpg

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
LG and Samsung panels are virtually the same apart from slight viewing angle differences.

You either had a faulty panel or are trying to start another LG v Samsung war.

Judging by your comments about your annoyance on receiving a Toshiba SSD and preference towards Samsung, you clearly take this forum too literally. There is little real world difference between the two SSD models. Day to day tasks and a lot of intensive tasks there will be no difference whatsoever.

Same with the panel differences. There is very little between them, if anything noticeable.

eckthroi

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2011
well I have just bought my first mac so I cant really give an opinion either way but I am grateful as I got the Samsung Ssd and Display

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
I prefer the Samsung display to the LG. If given a choice, I'd choose the Samsung every time. That said, I find that the two panels are reasonably similar. If I got an LG without any defects,--no dead pixels, evenly lit, no weird inverter problems, no flickering, etc. I'd keep it and not return it.

The LG does have better whites than the Samsung, and no amount of calibration can fix that.

I'd say that for both properly functioning panels, if the Samsung gets a score of 100, the LG gets a 90 to 95 in my book.

macd123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2011
You either had a faulty panel or are trying to start another LG v Samsung war.

The funny thing is I didn't know it was an LG panel when I noticed the problem. In addition I bought this year a 32" LG LED 100Z TV, it bleeds and leaks like crazy.

PS this unit is a keeper, even if it has the toshiba drive:)

jackyyeow

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2011
At first glance OP seems like a dup...

Anyhow, I'd take brighter display anytime, I don't to struggle on figuring out what's on the display panel under strong lighting, even just indoor.

...or these Samsung/Toshiba/LG thing is much too overrated.

reputationZed

macrumors 65816
No, you are not alone: I'm the other person. :)

Count me in. My 13" has an LG (LP133WP1-TJA3), while its not the best panel I've ever used, I'm not seeing any of the issues the OP stated. I've read a few threads where posters with access to both the LG and the Samsung posted that the difference between the two was exaggerated (hard to believe that anyone on MR would exaggerate). I think the OP just got a bad display, which could just as easily have happened with the Samsung display. Hopefully the OP is satisfied with the MBA he has now.

There have been a lot of penis references on MR in the last few weeks. Kind of disturbing, but if need to take your argunemt down that route man up and refer to your junk as something a bit more manly than male genitalia

reputationZed

macrumors 65816
The funny thing is I didn't know it was an LG panel when I noticed the problem. In addition I bought this year a 32" LG LED 100Z TV, it bleeds and leaks like crazy.

PS this unit is a keeper, even if it has the toshiba drive:)

Glad you've got a keeper. As much as the does it make any difference which panel/SSD you have is raging on in the forum the only important thing is that you are personaly happy with the machine you have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.