PDA

View Full Version : Very Unfriendly Place

ILikeTurtles
Mar 6, 2012, 10:32 AM
MacRumors is. Just giving my personal observation. I know many will disagree. The rude, snarky comments are uncalled for. Unfortunately, the anonymity of the internet gives people free reign to treat others like ***** and not suffer any repercussions from it.

snberk103
Mar 6, 2012, 10:43 AM
MacRumors is. Just giving my personal observation. I know many will disagree. The rude, snarky comments are uncalled for. Unfortunately, the anonymity of the internet gives people free reign to treat others like ***** and not suffer any repercussions from it.

yes, it can be unfortunately. However I have found that the threads that are focussed on a particular ongoing topic tend to have good and helpful people. And the rest I ignore - or bait.... ooooops - did I say that out loud? :)

Apple Key
Mar 6, 2012, 10:51 AM

Some, but not all are rude and unfriendly. I wouldn't even say most.

This is why I go into bad neighborhoods - to make them a better place. :D

The Californian
Mar 6, 2012, 10:58 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Let me guess, you've been hanging out in the iPhone or iPad subforums?

-aggie-
Mar 6, 2012, 10:59 AM
Jeez, if you think it's bad now, you should have been here about a year or so before now. Just ignore the bad "apples," and if you can't do that, at least report the posts.

Let me guess, you've been hanging out in the iPhone or iPad subforums?

No, he's from California. :)

basesloaded190
Mar 6, 2012, 11:02 AM
If you think this place is "rude" try getting involved in threads at Engadget!

Thankfully the Verge is a lot better place that people can talk about products.

stridemat
Mar 6, 2012, 01:37 PM

Certain subforms can come acoss as a tad rude, but takeing the forums as a whole I think they are quite polite. Especially when considering the anonymity of the internet.

GoCubsGo
Mar 6, 2012, 01:38 PM
Lets hug it out.

Peace
Mar 6, 2012, 01:39 PM
You guys do know this all started when Apple decided that Windows could be installed on a Mac. It went downhill from there.

GoCubsGo
Mar 6, 2012, 01:40 PM
^ THIS! Though it did start it was compounded by the iPhone.

Feed Me
Mar 6, 2012, 01:40 PM
... people free reign to treat others like ***** and not ...

I always make an effort to treat people like little stars, too!

pmau
Mar 6, 2012, 01:43 PM
There are forums where you can see who voted you up and down.
Helps a lot to track down stupid idiots who down-vote everything outside their belief-system.

I'll take a bet, -8 after 5 minutes ;)

I agree with the originla poster. People just state their own opinion without even trying to discuss...

AnimaLeo
Mar 6, 2012, 01:43 PM
To be fair this is one of the most tame, heavily moderated forums I frequent.

Feed Me
Mar 6, 2012, 01:45 PM

I know exactly what you mean.

stridemat
Mar 6, 2012, 01:47 PM

I know exactly what you mean.

Sorry, are you referring to this as a negative? I can't tell from your post.

eawmp1
Mar 6, 2012, 01:48 PM
MacRumors may be rough in some corners, but not as rough as real life.

Feed Me
Mar 6, 2012, 01:49 PM
Sorry, are you referring to this as a negative? I can't tell from your post.

Can be irritating when you've posted something mildly offending or against the rules and you get warned about it. No biggie.

In place of openly expressing myself on here due to possible reprimands, I've learnt to use equally aggravating smiley faces when delivering bad news. :)

maflynn
Mar 6, 2012, 01:52 PM
I'd have to disagree with the OP.

Sure there are plenty of examples of snarky posts, but I think there are even more examples of members helping others, or members engaged in a debate but are being respectful.

With over 10,000 posts a day, There will certainly be posts that are less then respectful.

My recommendation is to not engage those people are being rude and report the post.

ixodes
Mar 6, 2012, 01:54 PM
My recommendation is to not engage those people are being rude and report the post.

Sage advice.

Nice Avatar :)

Moonjumper
Mar 6, 2012, 02:21 PM
Mac Rumors seems a friendly place compared to most forums, but that isn't saying much.

maflynn
Mar 6, 2012, 02:24 PM
Nice Avatar :)

I can't claim I made it, I grabbed it from one of the iPhone wallpapers

jacktorrance
Mar 6, 2012, 03:07 PM
I always make an effort to treat people like little stars, too!

Excellent!

Shrink
Mar 6, 2012, 03:55 PM
Lots of good information and discussion here...some flaming and sarcasm.

It is worth the flaming, IMO. In my case, the flaming I have experienced was generally deserved.

Just develop a thick skin, it's worth it.:D

WillEH
Mar 6, 2012, 05:37 PM
I like turtles.

I agree, people make me cry on here.

PlaceofDis
Mar 6, 2012, 05:40 PM
when i first started hanging out here years ago it was a much tighter knit community. but as it has grown things have gotten to be a bit rougher around the edges, but i suppose thats to be expected.

BreakGuy
Mar 6, 2012, 06:25 PM
MacRumors is quite a placid piece of the internet from my experiences. I've been a part of some forums that will tear your liver out, chew it up and give it back to you.

Lucent336
Mar 6, 2012, 08:31 PM
Yeah, I'd have to say that there are a few whose every post seems as though their corn flakes were recently mistaken for urinals (user name starts with a 'W'), but for the most part I see people having more or less civil conversation.

In fact, sometimes the conversation is so civil I don't realize I'm on the internet. :p

Silencio
Mar 6, 2012, 08:56 PM
Though the level of civility has slipped quite a bit here from what it was back, oh, around 6-7 years ago, this is still a relatively benign place for discussion. The moderators do a fairly good job still, but their task is undoubtedly tougher now with the vastly bigger audience for all things Apple nowadays.

BigMcGuire
Mar 6, 2012, 10:31 PM
I have to agree with original poster. I bought a Macbook Air for the first time 3 weeks ago and Google directed me to this forum for most of my questions. I do IT work for several doctors, I've worked for the USACE for almost 7 years (IT) and now I'm a software developer. I've rooted Android smart phones and love to dabble in Linux. That said, I ask a simple question and I get ridiculed as if I'm the stupidest guy on the earth, when in fact, the people posting have 0 clue or knowledge of what I'm talking about. This place is incredibly hostile because of stuck up uneducated "fanbois." You're supposed to like Apple just because... wanting to know more means you're an outcast. Yeah, although there is a ton of good information here and very few well informed posters, most are just rudely spitting out incorrect junk that they hear, degrading new members who ask valid questions. Thanks for the info I did get and I'm sure there are a lot of you who are better.

Macman45
Mar 7, 2012, 01:38 AM
I'd have to disagree with the OP.

Sure there are plenty of examples of snarky posts, but I think there are even more examples of members helping others, or members engaged in a debate but are being respectful.

With over 10,000 posts a day, There will certainly be posts that are less then respectful.

In a nutshell. If you come across postings that are rude or inappropriate, report them and let the MOD'S deal with it.

It's also pretty easy to ignore these juvenile offerings.

boss.king
Mar 7, 2012, 03:04 AM

Thankfully the Verge is a lot better place that people can talk about products.

I've seen some pretty pathetic moderating on The Verge, I think MR does a much better job of it. As long as you steer clear of the iPhone and iPad sections (and PRSI) this site is quite tame.

basesloaded190
Mar 7, 2012, 07:41 AM
I've seen some pretty pathetic moderating on The Verge, I think MR does a much better job of it. As long as you steer clear of the iPhone and iPad sections (and PRSI) this site is quite tame.

They don't moderate at all on The Verge, but the people who participate in the threads and stories and much more friendly to one another than those on Engadget.

Macman45
Mar 7, 2012, 07:58 AM

The problem is the various time scales...Not all mods can work 24/7 It leaves gaps, and I try to report spam and duplication in the early UK hours. Beinga Mod is setting yourself up as a target. I performed the duty on several sights for a number of years. WOuld I do it again?

Pro's: It seems I could cover the gaps quite well.

Cons: My contribution to the site would reduce dramatically.

Of course, it's via invitation, and I've had my run ins in the past which would probably exclude me.

In short, it's a tough job attempting to please all of the people all of the time. Diplomacy was the way I went about things, when I was performing the role.

GGJstudios
Mar 7, 2012, 08:45 AM
Nice Avatar :)Thanks :)
See? I'm not the only one who likes it! :)
Unfortunately, the anonymity of the internet gives people free reign to treat others like ***** and not suffer any repercussions from it.
I just love being treated like an asterisk! :D

I find that MR will give what you put into it. If you only post a little bit, and in some of the more volatile threads, you're more likely to come away with a bad experience. If you're more involved answering questions and helping others, you're likely to see a more positive tone.

Some sub-forums have a different overall attitude than others. I tend to stay away from the iPhone/iPad/Community Discussion/PRSI forums, and focus on the Mac-related forums. By doing so, I see much less "drama" (other than a few vigorous debates about malware and a few other topics). No gathering of humans is going to be friction-free, whether in person or online, but MR Forums has been a great place in which to hang out, IMO.

As already stated, if someone crosses the line from unfriendly to insulting, report the post. The moderation team is good about judging fairly.

Macman45
Mar 7, 2012, 10:37 AM

I find that MR will give what you put into it. If you only post a little bit, and in some of the more volatile threads, you're more likely to come away with a bad experience. If you're more involved answering questions and helping others, you're likely to see a more positive tone.

Some sub-forums have a different overall attitude than others. I tend to stay away from the iPhone/iPad/Community Discussion/PRSI forums, and focus on the Mac-related forums. By doing so, I see much less "drama" (other than a few vigorous debates about malware and a few other topics). No gathering of humans is going to be friction-free, whether in person or online, but MR Forums has been a great place in which to hang out, IMO.

As already stated, if someone crosses the line from unfriendly to insulting, report the post. The moderation team is good about judging fairly.

With your large, and no doubt growing database of answers you should be able to cover pretty much all standard Mac related issues by now..:) I too avoid iPhone / iPhone hacks (About which I know zip anyway) and PRSI sections. I spend most of my time in the Mac tech related forums, reading the MR articles etc. I get down voted all the time, but ignore it..Whats weird is people get down voted for helping someone to a successful conclusion...:confused: Such is forum life.

GGJstudios
Mar 7, 2012, 10:41 AM
I get down voted all the time, but ignore it..Whats weird is people get down voted for helping someone to a successful conclusion...:confused: Such is forum life.
I pay no attention to the votes on posts. It's not a reliable indicator of anything. Too many vote down posts by a user they don't like, or vote down posts they disagree with. It's useless.

WillEH
Mar 7, 2012, 10:46 AM

I just treat people how I feel at the time, If I feel nice, I'm nice. If I feel sarcastic, I'm sarcastic. Being the Mr Nice guy isn't always good. I've tried being resonably nice, and funny (British funny). But that was met with a bunch of whinging people who don't get British humour! So now I just tell people the truth, regardless of if they might get upset or not.

B777Forevar
Mar 7, 2012, 10:46 AM
I for one, love all the snarky comments. I think it gives the forum a bit of character.

Mr. McMac
Mar 7, 2012, 10:47 AM
I agree with the OP 100%. This is why I use the forum spy and have only a few Threads checked off in the preference pane. Yeah the iPhone and iPad threads are full of angry, immature people

Peace
Mar 7, 2012, 10:48 AM
There has always been a huge gulf between Microsoft fans and Apple fans. We now have a new lot. Android fans.
Converge the three by giving all of them an Apple product like the iPhone/iPad and put them in the same room ( MacRumors Forums ) and sparks WILL fly.

We have Windows ( aka Microsoft ) and now Android users arguing with Apple users. The WinTel group ( and Android group ) will fight to the death to defend the Microsoft/Android way of life as will Apple fans defend the Apple way of life.

It's like republicans vs. democrats or liberal vs. conservative or even straight vs. hippy.

It has always been this way and will remain this way.

All of these people in the same room creates this havoc. Nothing will change it so either get over it or go to greener pastures.

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Macman45
Mar 7, 2012, 10:56 AM
I pay no attention to the votes on posts. It's not a reliable indicator of anything. Too many vote down posts by a user they don't like, or vote down posts they disagree with. It's useless.

True, Publish and be damned!!! I don't check them much, just puzzles me why when someone says "Hey thanks it's fixed" the gremlins down vote....Some need to get out more often!! :D

FloatingBones
Mar 7, 2012, 10:59 AM
There has always been a huge gulf between Microsoft fans and Apple fans. We now have a new lot. Android fans.
Converge the three by giving all of them an Apple product like the iPhone/iPad and put them in the same room ( MacRumors Forums ) and sparks WILL fly.
All of these people in the same room creates this havoc. Nothing will change it so either get over it or go to greener pastures.

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Hear, hear.

A favorite sport is watching Leo Laporte on his MacBreak Weekly, Windows Weekly, and This Week in Google podcasts. Many are upset that he seems to favor one of those over the others, but I think he does a pretty darn good job walking the knife-edge. Between those three shows, you get a pretty darn good picture of the modern computer-world.

It was rather amusing over the past couple of years to watch the banter between Paul Thurrott and Leo about the size of MSFT and AAPL. First, Apple exceeded MS in their market cap, then their revenues, and finally their profits. I distinctly remember one point Paul said that AAPL would never exceed MS's profits. :D

snberk103
Mar 7, 2012, 01:19 PM
MacRumors may be rough in some corners, but not as rough as real life.

I must lead a charmed life. I don't find MR generally "rough" at all, but it is worse than my real life..... and I'm not complaining!

Me either, but I voted you up because I noticed you were in down territory. I wish we had just "Like" votes... but that's all I ever use anyway... never ever voted someone's post down.

quasinormal
Mar 7, 2012, 01:31 PM
The solution is obvious.

Get the site to block Windows and Android OSes, Firefox, Chrome- in fact all non Apple software and known Republican voters.

I jest of course.

Macintosh-HD
Mar 7, 2012, 03:07 PM
I've noticed people from all walks of life on here. Ones that can afford the latest and greatest and ones that only have a few apple related products. I've noticed too that this forum is one of the busiest computer/tech related forums I've ever seen in terms of active members. Most of the other computer/tech forums I visit are a tight nit community and are pretty nice to each other for the most part.

LostSoul80
Mar 7, 2012, 03:24 PM

I'm sure many would be able to repercuss you and not the other way round. :rolleyes:

Zwhaler
Mar 7, 2012, 06:48 PM
I think that the sub forums that get the most traffic will have a greater tendency to be rude (iPhone forum mostly). I spend most of the time in the Mac Pro, Digital Video, Basics/Help forums.

darkplanets
Mar 7, 2012, 11:54 PM
People will be people, regardless of the location or time.

Who knows, maybe you're the one being the dick in their eyes?

I would love to see some ignore stats for people (myself included).

WillEH
Mar 8, 2012, 11:24 AM
People will be people, regardless of the location or time.

Who knows, maybe you're the one being the dick in their eyes?

I would love to see some ignore stats for people (myself included).

I have a total of 0 ignored, it tickles me to see people rage on the internet, rarely I may even do it. It's fun!

R94N
Mar 9, 2012, 01:17 PM
I don't visit many other subforums other than the 'Mac Community' section where everyone seems nice enough...I don't know what it's like elsewhere, although the iPhone subforum has a bad rep.

Goftrey
Mar 9, 2012, 02:46 PM
I think it's all just like real life.

90% of people are friendly, give nice advice & want to get along with eachother...

Then there's 10% of the population that want to make your life a living nightmare.

Antares
Mar 9, 2012, 02:57 PM

Indeed! When you have people of opposing mindsets and personalities brought together, you get conflict. That's part of what is happening here.

With the introduction of the iPod, iPhone and iPad, the Apple community has become inundated with new types of people. Prior to the introduction of these devices, Apple users tended to be like kin…a close community, at least in spirit. People who truly cared about Apple and its products. People who saw fellowship in other Mac/Apple users. In general, Mac users tended to have more in common with each other than they did with people who used PC’s.

With the introduction of the iDevices, the Apple community has seen the arrival of outsiders…both PC users and people who are not adept with technology. Even people who had hated Apple and Macs for many years (or still do). Many of the newer people bring their prejudices, hate and attitude into the Apple community. The kind of things that the Apple community had little of, previously (at least within). Now, you are seeing more rudeness, arrogance and bad attitudes within the community. However, things like this always become more common when any community grows. Especially, when a community has an influx of non-traditional users.

The core Apple community still exists. Many new Apple users fit in nicely with the traditional community. However, there are also those on the fringe. Those who don’t care about civility, community or respect for others. Unfortunately, rude people, attention seekers, complainers and trolls tend to be the loudest. Those kind of people stand out.

In terms of MacRumors, specifically….yes, in my opinion, there has been some decrease in civility and an associated impression in the increase in attitude/rudeness. It slowly started with the iPod. However, it seems to have really shot up since the introduction of the iPhone. However, most people on here seem to be normal, helpful, respectful people. The rude people are the tiny minority.

Elven
Mar 9, 2012, 03:01 PM
I personally have always felt a ranking or voting system on any website other than Reddit is a bad idea.

People become too focussed on their personal ranks or their scores to offer supportive help.

LostSoul80
Mar 9, 2012, 03:38 PM
I personally have always felt a ranking or voting system on any website other than Reddit is a bad idea.

People become too focussed on their personal ranks or their scores to offer supportive help.

While I too think it's a bad idea, I don't think many users actually reply to get ups. I'm sure some do, though.

Mochi Hana
Mar 9, 2012, 10:43 PM

I agree. I'm trying to train my eyes to just overlook the votes on posts.

SkyBell
Mar 9, 2012, 10:55 PM
^ THIS! Though it did start it was compounded by the iPhone.

Gotta agree with this, after the iPhone this place just exploded and changed, often not for the better. But popularity comes with a price, as we all know. I still like to converse on MR, but I don't frequent as often because it isn't really the same place I joined 5 and a half years ago. That's OK, I know it won't return. And to be fair, as long as you stay out of certain forums, the community as a whole is still very helpful and fun. :)

Ariii
Mar 22, 2012, 05:52 PM
I definitely agree with what many of the other posters said. It's probably either boringness (Of what I say) or a huge amount of posts, but most of what I post doesn't really get any replies. Which is definitely fine, of course. And yes, I do not get the thing how some people keep on thumbs-downing everything! It almost makes me wonder what Facebook would be like with a dislike button.

alphaod
Mar 22, 2012, 06:23 PM
Sorry to hear if you're had a bad experience. I get annoyed with the snarky comments, non helpful posts (ie: asking OP to search on Google, posts to self-help guides that are irrelevant), etc.

I hope we can help you better in the future.

ucfgrad93
Mar 26, 2012, 10:40 PM

Agreed. I tend to ignore the comment section on Engadget, BGR, etc. as they are simply not worth having to wade through all of the crap.

Agreed. While it isn't perfect here, I like that the mods keep things pretty civil here.

Paulywauly
Mar 29, 2012, 04:53 AM
I've always found the iPad/iPhone/Mac hardware sub forums a lot less friendly than the other community based sub forums (with a possible exception being the Power PC forums)

There are just too many people looking to try and out-do each other.

Although, on the other hand, this place is a paradise compared to any Linux forum, or the rant-only threads at the official Apple forums :rolleyes:

b24pgg
Mar 29, 2012, 05:58 AM
While we can't force attitudes to change, I think removing the downvote option would go a long way towards getting rid of some of the hostility.

maflynn
Mar 29, 2012, 08:12 AM
While we can't force attitudes to change, I think removing the downvote option would go a long way towards getting rid of some of the hostility.

I don't see that having an overall impact on how people comport themselves here at MR.

Since we already have a thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1153058) regarding voting buttons lets keep these two issues separate, i.e., use that thread for the voting buttons and this thread discussing people's behavior.

GoCubsGo
Mar 29, 2012, 08:17 AM
I don't see that having an overall impact on how people comport themselves here at MR.

Since we already have a thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1153058) regarding voting buttons lets keep these two issues separate, i.e., use that thread for the voting buttons and this thread discussing people's behavior.I disagree. The voting buttons do correlate to the overall feel of this place. When you discuss how friendly this place is the implementation of the voting buttons is absolutely assisting in driving people away. It is sad. You can separate the two all you want but if you get a member here that posts something and is down voted a number of times then do you really think they aren't justified in feeling like this is an unfriendly place? Coincidentally, I just had my mini rant about it in the set up thread. A mini-rant that is sure to be deleted but it was fun hearing myself type all the same.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=14632709&posted=1#post14632709

maflynn
Mar 29, 2012, 08:24 AM
I disagree. The voting buttons do correlate to the overall feel of this place
Perhaps its my perspective that is coloring my opinion in this. I do use the up/down voting but I pay very little attention if my post is down voted. Its not even at the point of taking it personally but rather knowing that it really doesn't mean anything [to me].

If people are taking this a bit more personal, I'm not sure what I can say :confused:

GoCubsGo
Mar 29, 2012, 08:28 AM
^ You can't say anything but you cannot separate the two at this point. If any one member, admin, or mod truly believes that the voting buttons (down voting specifically) aren't contributing to the overall "friendly" feel of this place then I would love to see if they can say that with a straight face. I feel, at best, that would be the most delusional statement anyone can make regarding the subject.

But you are right, there is nothing you can do about someone getting their feelings hurt over a silly vote, but those voting buttons are distracting from some of the threads to a point where members are asking who down-voted a post and why in the middle of a flowing conversation. That alone should be a clue that the voting buttons are doing more bad than good. People do pay attention to them, not all, but enough that it is a systemic issue on this site and it should be addressed within.

maflynn
Mar 29, 2012, 08:42 AM
^ You can't say anything but you cannot separate the two at this point. If any one member, admin, or mod truly believes that the voting buttons (down voting specifically) aren't contributing to the overall "friendly" feel of this place then I would love to see if they can say that with a straight face. I feel, at best, that would be the most delusional statement anyone can make regarding the subject.
I think people can use the voting buttons as an excuse for the negative posts but many of those people who do, would generally be posting negative, unfriendly stuff anyways.

As for the voting system being a distraction and not adding to the overall quality of MR is a good point.

GoCubsGo
Mar 29, 2012, 09:19 AM
True. The voting buttons have likely reduced the number of posts that merely call people out for whatever reason. I'm just not sure that should be the reason they stay.

-aggie-
Mar 29, 2012, 09:35 AM
I think people can use the voting buttons as an excuse for the negative posts but many of those people who do, would generally be posting negative, unfriendly stuff anyways.

As for the voting system being a distraction and not adding to the overall quality of MR is a good point.

Arn really needs to step in and decide what he wants to do with these up/down voting buttons. When it was implemented, it was said it was a test, and that a decision would be made later on how to use it or or how to improve upon it. A number of sites I've been on have "thanks" buttons, which would seem to be a better system than the up/down voting.

WillEH
Mar 29, 2012, 10:14 AM
Actually, forget everything I've said about e-holes on here, etc. MR is a pretty friendly place, I think the majority of people on here, want to help. Others are here to discuss, and others are here to brag how long they've been a part of MR. But at the end of the day, we're all one big happy family!

n8mac
Mar 29, 2012, 01:55 PM
People can handle questions. They can't handle opinions.

At least it's not YouTube. Those comments are sad.

LaWally
Mar 29, 2012, 03:55 PM
I see no point in the MacRumors "ranking" system. The more you post the higher you rise. Unfortunately, there's nothing that speaks to the quality of the posts, their usefulness, or the respect and courtesy with you treat other forum members.

I also find it extremely inappropriate that one member is able to change the post of another member when they are quoting them. Typically this is done to "fix" the post, ostensibly when one member disagrees with another.

annk
Mar 30, 2012, 10:37 AM

I also find it extremely inappropriate that one member is able to change the post of another member when they are quoting them. Typically this is done to "fix" the post, ostensibly when one member disagrees with another.

You can report those posts, and the moderators will take a look.

MattInOz
Apr 1, 2012, 11:31 PM
Arn really needs to step in and decide what he wants to do with these up/down voting buttons. When it was implemented, it was said it was a test, and that a decision would be made later on how to use it or or how to improve upon it. A number of sites I've been on have "thanks" buttons, which would seem to be a better system than the up/down voting.

On the story pages the most ranked posts have both a number of up and down votes. If anything it helps to show a balance which I think is a lot better than the total given in the main forum.

Tarzanman
Apr 4, 2012, 12:40 PM
The problems probably started when Apple started gaining market share.

I have know Apple/Mac fans for most of my life, but before 1999, the avg fan was a reasonably well informed, sometimes slightly odd enthusiast that didn't usually go out of their way to impress their belief structure upon folks who disagreed with them.

Then the iphone came out, lol..... and if that weren't bad enough Android came out (and started getting market share).

In my personal opinion, today's apple fans are largely following the cues of the former CEO, who got plenty of press for speaking his mind at the expense of other people (or even the facts :eek:). ...or maybe folks like to argue about anything? It used to be blu-ray vs HD-DVD or LCD vs plasma. Maybe we'll be seeing gasoline vs electric engine arguments 10 years from now :D

Anyways, most of these neo-fans are iPad and iPhone owners, so it makes a lot of sense that those are the forums with the most vinegar in them.

Separate the wheat from the chaff. Go in with the mentality that everyone posting flunked out of clown college and lives with their granny and you will find yourself less infuriated by what you read there.

Mal
Apr 11, 2012, 11:06 AM
I've been around a while, and with the influx of users the past few years, starting a little after the iPhone came out probably, the forum has had more rude users, and some posters who previously were very polite have started to get more snarky at times (probably in response to the newcomers who were being rude). I know, because I'm one of those. If you look at my early postings, I was rarely ever snarky with anyone, but I've noticed that I've been making people angry more often the last ~2 years. In looking over my postings, it seems to be nearly an even balance between me making comments I shouldn't have (sometimes because I didn't realize it and sometimes because I just got upset for some reason), and people getting angry because they disagreed with me (which isn't really necessary, but I understand because I've done it myself).

So all that to say, yes, I feel like there are more rude and snarky comments than there used to be, but there's also a lot more helpful comments as well. Comes with the site's growing popularity. Sometimes you just have to take the bad with the good.

jW

marzer
Apr 11, 2012, 12:39 PM
And it's been getting increasingly worse with the ever growing surge of those low-brow Windows converts over the years. Same thing has been happening on the Apple support forums.

...HAHAHA! I kid!! :D

...no, really.

chrono1081
Apr 11, 2012, 04:51 PM
I've noticed this myself. There is a thread in existence where people are plain out insulting me, calling me a liar, and stuffing words in my mouth that I've never said (which is verifiable through quotes).

I can't imagine seeing this kind of thing 6 years ago back when this was a good place (before I even signed up for the forums).

Sadly its the norm now.

Burro99
Apr 11, 2012, 05:12 PM
My favorite is the mods who put words in your mouth, then timeout you for it. :confused:

socalif
Apr 12, 2012, 12:45 AM

read my mind...

told about my experience with jailbreaking and the OP responded with "I think it's bull tho"

what the...

don't see anyone replying like that in real life that's for sure

/user/me
Apr 12, 2012, 12:50 AM
I've noticed this myself. There is a thread in existence where people are plain out insulting me, calling me a liar, and stuffing words in my mouth that I've never said (which is verifiable through quotes).

I can't imagine seeing this kind of thing 6 years ago back when this was a good place (before I even signed up for the forums).

Sadly its the norm now.

Yeah - and people that are outright lying (breaching the TOC by joining too young, saying that they apparently got a job offer from apple when they're in 8th grade... ) but they're a contributor, so idk... :rolleyes: Oh internet.

miles01110
Apr 12, 2012, 01:24 AM

Sadly its the norm now.

In fairness to you, those who are calling you liars in that thread are off base. However, if you can't roll with the punches you shouldn't have jumped into that particular ring. Your statements didn't align with the body of knowledge or position you claim to be in, and you got called out on it. Shrug.

Truffy
Apr 12, 2012, 04:20 AM
Hell yeah, you can't even say ****!

AnimaLeo
Apr 12, 2012, 06:05 AM
Hell yeah, you can't even say ****!

I know man, it's ridiculous. People that are offended by swear words really don't belong on the internet aha.

/user/me
Apr 12, 2012, 07:30 AM
I've been around a while, and with the influx of users the past few years, starting a little after the iPhone came out probably, the forum has had more rude users, and some posters who previously were very polite have started to get more snarky at times (probably in response to the newcomers who were being rude). I know, because I'm one of those. If you look at my early postings, I was rarely ever snarky with anyone, but I've noticed that I've been making people angry more often the last ~2 years. In looking over my postings, it seems to be nearly an even balance between me making comments I shouldn't have (sometimes because I didn't realize it and sometimes because I just got upset for some reason), and people getting angry because they disagreed with me (which isn't really necessary, but I understand because I've done it myself).

So all that to say, yes, I feel like there are more rude and snarky comments than there used to be, but there's also a lot more helpful comments as well. Comes with the site's growing popularity. Sometimes you just have to take the bad with the good.

jW

Agreed, Sometimes I do that too, especially when hot button topics are being discussed. Luckily the Moderation team does a really good job at what they do. While the forums are heavily moderated, it means that MR is one of the more pleasant forums I am a part of. In addition, they're really good, imo, at discerning "reactive snakiness" versus being openly hostile towards another member without provocation.

balamw
Apr 12, 2012, 07:40 AM
My favorite is the mods who put words in your mouth, then timeout you for it. :confused:

If you feel you have a specific case of unfair moderation, you can submit a request to have it reviewed by the staff (mods+admins) using the "Contact Us" link.

B

Nameci
Apr 12, 2012, 10:48 AM
I don't mind the "rudeness" at all. I am good at being "cool" about almost anything. I often take the "facts" seriously and ignore the "lies" and "misinformation".

radiohed
Apr 12, 2012, 11:18 AM

I agree that some people feel they have to throw some snarky remark out there if somebody posts something that they feel is not relevant or has been posted before. What is the harm if somebody didn't search the forum before posting something? :confused: It's mean and uncalled for. :( A lot of newbies come here to ask questions or talk about their new macs and should be shown respect. :)

Burro99
Apr 12, 2012, 12:08 PM
If you feel you have a specific case of unfair moderation, you can submit a request to have it reviewed by the staff (mods+admins) using the "Contact Us" link.

B
When dealing with a group of people whose reading comprehension ability stops at taking individual words out of context then applying personal prejudice to them, somehow I doubt an appeal to logic would result in anything other than being ignored, or possibly more timeout. Thanks for the offer to bark at a brick wall though..

beowulf70
Apr 13, 2012, 06:37 AM
I must admit, not having all the time in the world to trawl through every thread and post here, I sometimes might ask a simple, honest question (not having immediately found what I'm looking for) in a thread and often get really unnecessarily smart remarks. All very childish and arrogant. But, let's face it, we are talking computers and software. Geeks all. :cool:

balamw
Apr 13, 2012, 08:39 AM
When dealing with a group of people whose reading comprehension ability stops at taking individual words out of context then applying personal prejudice to them, somehow I doubt an appeal to logic would result in anything other than being ignored, or possibly more timeout. Thanks for the offer to bark at a brick wall though..

I don't think you understand the system.

We, the staff, are individual volunteers spread out around the world. Our moderation system relies heavily on the participation of the membership. If y'all don't report problems, we can't know one exists. As individuals we often make decisions and take actions on our own that others may disagree with. Being human, we also occasionally make mistakes.

It is only through discussion that we try and interpret the rules and arrive at a common understanding of where "the line" is and set precedent. Ultimately these discussions can lead to changes in the rules.

S&FF is not the forum for this. We have mechanisms in place to review and discuss particular acts of moderation. If you choose not to participate, and simply complain outside the system, you'll never know how effective or not that may turn out to be.

The same goes for folks who receive an unfriendly response to a post. Report it. We will look at it, even though we may not agree with you that any individual post is over the line.

B

zarusoba
Apr 13, 2012, 09:38 AM
Yeah, i tend to wince in anticipation of pain whenever I see a quote notification on macrumors. [winces]

BreakGuy
Apr 13, 2012, 10:42 PM
As a result of my last thread I'm changing my tune as to the rudeness of dare I say the majority of the users here. It makes me wonder whether these people just live sad lives and it's all they know or whether they're just children - they're certainly not mature adults either way.

iMacC2D
Apr 14, 2012, 03:10 AM
I also have to chime in on this matter, however like many I don't expect that there's any simple way to resolve it, especially without making the issue heard.

I consider myself to be at the intermediate to professional level with Apple products, but it did take a long time to get myself to such a position, no less than about 10 years of hobbyist electronics and associating myself with connections within the industry to develop an understanding of the product and how it functions. These days I regularly service Mac, iPod and iPad products, I know more part numbers off the top of my head than is probably considered healthy, I can disassemble most generations of each iMac, Mac Pro, MacBook Pro, MacBook and Mac Mini entirely from memory down to the locations of the screws and the types of screws that go into each thread. If someone presents an issue, I can probably suggest a couple of tricks that will hopefully get them up and running with minimal hassle.

I contribute on a forum like MacRumors to share this kind of knowledge in the hope that it will be beneficial to others. However, more often than not, I dread seeing a quote notification because I know it'll be a snide response to my post, which is now peppered with downvotes. I know what i've written is true from experience, I verify it just in case there's something I may have overlooked. I fail to see why i've received such a negative response.

The most recent example is in this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=14713208&postcount=94), which is albeit one of the lesser examples. You could call Apple today and present that issue to them, and chances are you would get the exact same response that I stated there. It's not a slap in the face to Apple, it's a testament to their customer service, and it's all true. So why the negative feedback? Glass has imperfections that occasionally can be warrantied. I don't understand why that is so difficult to believe once it's fitted to an Apple product and presented to the MacRumors forum userbase for advice.

The unfortunate aspect to this is that this forum provides such a level of anonymity that users can state their case without being held accountable for it. Every forum offers some level of anonymity, but at the very least the user presenting their opposing case actually states it and leaves it open to scrutiny from the rest of the board. On MacRumors, all you have to do is click down to disagree with the post and be on your way. This wouldn't be such an issue if I didn't have it on good authority from other users of these boards that they do take post score (as an indicator of reputation) into account when selecting an answer from a forum thread. Posts like mine become discredited and overlooked, while other posters suggesting that a user, for example, "should have been more careful" with a device that has clearly developed a fault that isn't a result of abuse, are upvoted on a moral basis and the original poster is left to a slew of bitter responses when they haven't actually committed any crime as such.

That doesn't affect anyone on a personal level, but it does mean that experienced members would no longer be inclined to post here as their volunteered time and effort is largely wasted. For what is essentially a support forum, this is not the kind of scenario you want to see.

I'm already well beyond the point where I have mostly stopped offering support advice here. I'm making the above clear for the those that still remain and even more-so to those users that are guilty of the acts i've described. However, I can't offer a solution. Plenty of other Apple communities I frequent haven't suffered the from the same issues, but they don't have the volume of users that this place presents, and the demographics are different, some boards are more support-oriented while this one is Apple news, rumours and experiences. Unfortunately, I think it now comes with the territory.

miles01110
Apr 15, 2012, 01:50 AM
As a result of my last thread I'm changing my tune as to the rudeness of dare I say the majority of the users here. It makes me wonder whether these people just live sad lives and it's all they know or whether they're just children - they're certainly not mature adults either way.

If lack of mature adults is a major concern of yours, why are you participating in an online forum on the internet?:eek:

WillEH
Apr 15, 2012, 07:39 PM
What a load of tosh, people make me cry on here.

Burro99
Apr 17, 2012, 03:03 PM
I don't think you understand the system.
Making assumptions, failing to understand what is being read, resorting to insults when you fail to reach understanding. Way to make my point. As if I would defer to a room of people who would just side with each other because of some backward us vs them attitude and a total failure at thinking beyond picking individual words to suit your prejudices. Complete dbag attitude from most of the administration on this site. Pathetic and disgusting. As the title reads, this is one of the most dickish public forums on the internet, and it is the admins who set that tone.

-aggie-
Apr 17, 2012, 03:15 PM
Making assumptions, failing to understand what is being read, resorting to insults when you fail to reach understanding. Way to make my point. As if I would defer to a room of people who would just side with each other because of some backward us vs them attitude and a total failure at thinking beyond picking individual words to suit your prejudices. Complete dbag attitude from most of the administration on this site. Pathetic and disgusting. As the title reads, this is one of the most dickish public forums on the internet, and it is the admins who set that tone.

Where do you get that impression from what balamw wrote, especially the last part about resorting to insults???

Antares
Apr 17, 2012, 03:41 PM
Like I've said before, this is all a side-effect of the growing Apple market. The Apple community used to be filled with respectful, helpful and proud enthusiasts. Trolls, haters, trouble makers and rude people (in general) used to be primarily relegated to the PC user base. With the iPod and iOS device introductions, many of these non-traditional and new Apple users have entered the community. The iOS devices also bring in the teen and pre-teen demographic who tend to operate under both the “bully” and “entitlement” mentality. That’s how many kids are, by their nature. This is a sad and unfortunate by-product of Apple’s success. I’m not really sure anything can be done about it.

Starfighter
Apr 17, 2012, 04:29 PM
Thatís how many kids are, by their nature.
Kids are kids, that's right. But they won't be forever. :)

My personal experience from MacRumors tells me there are some who are more polite than others, but the amount of knowledge in these threads are astonishing. I mean I got here from googling problems during my first mac-related upgrade project and when every search ended up here I figured I might as well join since it's clearly the place to be. So, when the focus is aimed on the subject at hand - this forum really shines, and then I don't really mind the rude sarcasm that's mixed in.