PDA

View Full Version : iOS 5.1 Adds '4G' Indicator to iPhone 4S Status Bar for AT&T HSPA+ Coverage

MacRumors
Mar 7, 2012, 02:54 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/07/ios-5-1-adds-4g-indicator-to-iphone-4s-status-bar-for-att-hspa-coverage/)

Last October, an internal AT&T talking point (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/07/att-looking-to-add-4g-network-indicator-to-iphone-4s-status-bar/) claimed that the carrier was working with Apple to have the iPhone 4S status bar display a "4G" indicator when the device is connected to an HSPA+ network.

With today's release of iOS 5.1, that change now appears to have gone into effect (https://twitter.com/#!/ichadman/status/177491292178227202) as shown in a photo posted to Twitter by @ichadman.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/03/iphone_4g_status_bar.jpg

While short of the data speeds seen with LTE networks now rolling out, AT&T and other carriers have also referred to their HSPA+ networks using 4G as a marketing terms to distinguish the standard's faster performance relative to older 3G standards.

Article Link: iOS 5.1 Adds '4G' Indicator to iPhone 4S Status Bar for AT&T HSPA+ Coverage (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/07/ios-5-1-adds-4g-indicator-to-iphone-4s-status-bar-for-att-hspa-coverage/)

Bill Gates
Mar 7, 2012, 02:54 PM
Marketing BS.

Cougarcat
Mar 7, 2012, 02:57 PM
Did it say HSPA+ before, or just 3G?

Hazel
Mar 7, 2012, 03:01 PM
Did it say HSPA+ before, or just 3G?

it said 3G previously.

Dechter
Mar 7, 2012, 03:03 PM
That's a shame. When this news first broke back in November or so and then nothing came of it, I thought it was because Apple told AT&T to go stuff it with their non-4G 4G-in-name-only marketing. Ah, well...

Xenomorph
Mar 7, 2012, 03:05 PM
That's a shame. When this news first broke back in November or so and then nothing came of it, I thought it was because Apple told AT&T to go stuff it with their non-4G 4G-in-name-only marketing. Ah, well...

When I got my 4S, my download speeds were hitting ~10 Mbps. That's way faster than any 3G connection I've used.

T-Mobile has been calling HSPA+ "4G" for a while now. Now AT&T does as well.

Zulithe
Mar 7, 2012, 03:08 PM
HSPA+ is 4G (enough). At least until the next iPhone. I'm glad to finally have some indicator telling me when I have HSPA+ and when I don't.

So turns out I have '4G' from the cell towers near my house. Yay!

slicecom
Mar 7, 2012, 03:11 PM
Ridiculous.

rorschach
Mar 7, 2012, 03:14 PM
Whatever. I didn't even notice it until I saw it here.

cjmillsnun
Mar 7, 2012, 03:14 PM
HSPA+ is 4G (enough). At least until the next iPhone. I'm glad to finally have some indicator telling me when I have HSPA+ and when I don't.

It isn't 4G at all. Not anywhere close. If it said H+ then I'd be happy. AT&T calling it 4G is just pure marketing BS.

Danbrown521
Mar 7, 2012, 03:21 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Some people are never happy...

devianter
Mar 7, 2012, 03:24 PM
guys, what's the gorgeous wallpaper on the screenshot? can anybody share it please? i would be really grateful!

dave420
Mar 7, 2012, 03:26 PM
It isn't 4G at all. Not anywhere close. If it said H+ then I'd be happy. AT&T calling it 4G is just pure marketing BS.

It is in line with the other carriers though. It probably confuses customers that Sprint's '4G' service is slower than AT&T's '3G' service.

richardsonrs
Mar 7, 2012, 03:28 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

The ITU disagrees with you.

James Howlett
Mar 7, 2012, 03:53 PM
would Rogers, telus, bell do this? they are all HSPA+ aswell i believe

benji888
Mar 7, 2012, 04:03 PM
HSPA+ does NOT = 4G! :mad:

The status bar should simply display 3G+ when it is HSPA+!!!!

osxster
Mar 7, 2012, 04:24 PM
While HSPA+ is certainly not 4G nor is LTE. HSPA+ is faster on paper than LTE, so if you call LTE 4G you might as well call HSPA+ 4G.

LTE Advanced is the only spec that meets the definition of 4G, however that isn't out yet.

cjmillsnun
Mar 7, 2012, 04:48 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

The ITU disagrees with you.

after redefining their spec (downwards) twice!
(how many carriers are members?). HSPA+ is a development of UMTS HSDPA It really is 3.5G

Huracan
Mar 7, 2012, 04:57 PM
I'm taking back my comments. I thought regular 4G LTE as in Verizon and AT&T was considered 4G. Basically the entire industry seems to have jumped the gun. I guess then that LTE advanced should be called 5G ;)

However, there are many advantages to LTE over HSPA+ beyond the download/upload speeds (e.g. latency) that puts LTE in a different category than HSPA+.

jmcrutch
Mar 7, 2012, 05:21 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

I got a large soda from a restaurant recently. It was half the size of the large I get at the movie theater. I'm so mad. That restaurant should not be allowed to call their large soda "large". Venti maybe, or Grande, but not Large.

Anonymous Freak
Mar 7, 2012, 06:16 PM
"4G" is a marketing term. Pure and simple. The ITU issues recommendations on communication standards, but they have no "power" to enforce marketing terms.

However, one of their key requirements is 100 Mbps maximum throughput. HSPA+ has a maximum throughput of 168 Mbps, obviously well above the "minimum maximum" for "4G" classification. (Not that you're ever going to get it. The fastest HSPA+ I've ever gotten was about 20 Mbps.)

cschmelz
Mar 7, 2012, 07:07 PM
As one of the millions of Americans who live in rural areas and will not see real LTE for YEARS (2014-2015 at earliest most likely as we still have a lot of EDGE coverage) I like the change.

Deployment of HSPA+ is widespread where we used to just have regular 3G. I frequently see 5mb/sec+ with my iPhone 4S and it is a big step forward from before. Much faster than Verizon and likely the closest thing we will see to anything close to real 4G until the iPad 5 is out.

So I'm glad I can tell now when I'm on HSPA+ versus regular versus EDGE. Bravo Apple!

quietstormSD
Mar 7, 2012, 07:11 PM
Should've called it 3G+ IMO for HSPA+. And LTE as 4G.

I wonder if it's going to say 4G on AT&T iPads regardless of using HSPA+ or LTE.

Tea-Aholic
Mar 7, 2012, 07:44 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

The proper 4G logo on the iPad 3 actually says "LTE".

rdowns
Mar 7, 2012, 07:52 PM
Just finished upgrading my phone to 4G. Wicked fast now

reckless2k2
Mar 7, 2012, 08:25 PM
Serious question.

I know the 4S is supposed to use the faster HSPA+ and this is just a indicator switch.

My problem is that the AT&T site and my device say I'm in a 4G area but my speeds are no faster using a speed test than a year ago.

I just ran a speed test using the iPad 2 and the 4S and they had the same speeds too. SLOW.

Same as last year. SLOW. And it says I'm in a 4G area now.

???

justperry
Mar 7, 2012, 10:16 PM
What they should have used(use) is :

G = Gprs
E = Edge
Ev = EVDO
U = UMTS
H = HSPA
H+ = HSDPA+
L = LTE
La =LTE Advanced

I don't know what all the standards are, probably CDMA or W-CDMA should be in the list as well.

And, don't say it's too difficult for people to understand, they would find out really fast that if they download on (G) Gprs that it is slower than (H+) HSDPA.
People are smarter than We might think they are.

Digitalclips
Mar 7, 2012, 10:24 PM

The only change is the label isn't it?

MS2083
Mar 7, 2012, 10:37 PM
so there is no 4G Indicator for the Original iPhone 4 ???

rick98761
Mar 7, 2012, 10:56 PM

Love my new 4g. Getting a rocking 1.5/1.2. Long live 4g.

hspace
Mar 7, 2012, 11:13 PM
so there is no 4G Indicator for the Original iPhone 4 ???

Because only the 4S is HSPA+ capable. The iPhone 4 isn't.

denaliOnDubs
Mar 7, 2012, 11:47 PM
I cannot agree with this more. I am in an HSPA+ area and I have not seen a performance increase of any kind. I checked with the AT&T representative and they claim that my area also has the enhanced data backhaul. Honestly the speeds are still adequate for use but there is no difference. I do not care how it is marketed, this is not 4g, it is just a darker blue area on the coverage map and a "4g" indicator.

Serious question.

I know the 4S is supposed to use the faster HSPA+ and this is just a indicator switch.

My problem is that the AT&T site and my device say I'm in a 4G area but my speeds are no faster using a speed test than a year ago.

I just ran a speed test using the iPad 2 and the 4S and they had the same speeds too. SLOW.

Same as last year. SLOW. And it says I'm in a 4G area now.

???

Ricky Smith
Mar 7, 2012, 11:55 PM
Look at my amazing 4G speeds!http://img.tapatalk.com/627633d6-49e5-d81c.jpg

ru4real
Mar 8, 2012, 08:39 AM
When I got my 4S, my download speeds were hitting ~10 Mbps. That's way faster than any 3G connection I've used.

T-Mobile has been calling HSPA+ "4G" for a while now. Now AT&T does as well.

At least T-Mobile's HSPA+ is HSPA+ 42, AT&T is HSDPA 14.4. That's a pretty significant difference to still be calling both 4G

mrbrown
Mar 8, 2012, 08:52 AM
Question: I'm pretty sure the area I work in is not an HSPA+ area. However, the indicator is still showing 4G.

Has anybody, since upgrading their 4S to 5.1, not seen "4G" in the status bar??

TonyC28
Mar 8, 2012, 11:38 AM
Look at my amazing 4G speeds!Image (http://img.tapatalk.com/627633d6-49e5-d81c.jpg)

I'm with this guy! My new "4G" speeds are just as crappy as they were on 3G. If the 4G indicator is supposed to signify that I am on the HSPA+ network then let me tell you, the HSPA+ network sucks!...at least in my area. When I read about this change I thought for sure I wouldn't see the 4G indicator since my phone is so slow in my area.
Obviously I know that the speeds won't be different, it is just showing the network that I am supposedly on. My point is that if this is what is to be expected from the supposedly faster version of AT&T's network then Verizon might be gaining a new customer.

bmustaf
Mar 8, 2012, 11:49 AM
Doesn't matter what AT&T can get Apple to agree to put (and the ITU to allow to tout as) in the upper left corner of my iPhone. Hell, put 42G or 938654G there, the service still is what it is (and in my experience it is not very good, consistent, or up-to-the-hype at all)!

You know what I'd like to see instead of fancy slogans/indicators? Less dollars on lobbying + fancy commercials/slogans/claims that they can't back up consistently and more money on a credible infrastructure and spectrum work.

AT&T isn't consistently ranked the last in cellular service, customer services, and satisfaction by accident, IMHO!

TonyC28
Mar 8, 2012, 12:26 PM
Maybe someone can help me out with this one. I just chatted online with an AT&T rep cause my phone gets really slow speeds and for a while there it wouldn't connect to the network at all. He had me reset network settings and he reset my SIM. After that I ran a Speedtest and the speeds were 2.93Mbps down, 0.48Mbps up. He said those speeds are "great", "wonderful", and "above average." Are those speeds any good? I kinda thought they sounded pretty low.

prk60091
Mar 8, 2012, 12:37 PM
this is not scientific at all but on my iphone 4s while sitting at my desk in Chicago I consistently received download speeds of 1400-1950kbs (as measured by SpeedTest)

After updating to 5.1 my speeds are between 2545kbs- 4062kbs.

All at the same desk (I get only 3 bars at my desk)

I think something got changed with the update (either 5.1 changed the phone or ATT did something)

If you think about it- ATT started the throttling emails about 4-6 weeks ago so it would affect people behaviors now- it seems to me they knew the speeds would be increased either as a result of 5.1 or because they did something that was timed with 5.1 (maybe apple said if you want 4g on the phone -deliver 4g speeds?)

reckless2k2
Mar 8, 2012, 01:14 PM
My speeds have actually gone down in my area progressively with each version since I owned a 3GS. I would speed test at or around 3mbps on average 3G in my area and these days I'm lucky if I get 1mbps on "4G".

It's obvious that my area has become saturated with iPhones on the AT&T network but that has contributed to much more revenue to AT&T as well.

I'm getting sick of this though and have been a customer since 2006 at least seriously considering the jump to Verizon with the LTE iPhone later this year. I'll take the ETF hit.

I'm so sick of my device becoming more and more useless on the AT&T network with each new version. It shouldn't work that way.

apollo1444
Mar 8, 2012, 02:05 PM
nevermind.... this is only an ATT thing...

Ricky Smith
Mar 8, 2012, 07:43 PM
I think you dumb americans need to think outside of the US.... nobody else in the planet has CDMA iPhones so carriers around the world using GSM need to start showing that the iPhone 4S while not a truly LTE device can get 4G like speeds...

I don't think AT&T has 90% of the guilt in this, Apple probably had to get competitive in other regions of the world where other companies offer GSM HSPA+/LTE showing stupid H+ or 4G signs already....3G probably didn't cut it and throw some customers off who aren't really informed or care about this... H+ probably didn't cut it as well so they were with the what the hell attitude and added 4G sign

Maybe you dumb foreigners need to stop ragging on the US and being rude or design your own products that are better ;)

Griswaldo4g
Mar 8, 2012, 08:16 PM
Regardless of whether or not HSPA+ is considered a "4G", I think changing the label is on the 4s is misleading.

The 4s doesn't even support the higher HSPA+ speeds that it has rolled out across much of the country.

Additionally, the 14.4 Mbps HSPA+ that the iPhone 4s is compatible with is essentially being marketed the same as AT&T's products that actually support LTE.

In short, people who buy an iPhone 4s may only get 1 Mbps download speed (me) while people who buy other smartphones from AT&T may get 10 Mbps. In other words, AT&T is marketing the same basic experience to everybody who buys one of there "4G" phones but, in practice, peoples' experiences with AT&T vary widely.

Although I am not too bummed because I knew what I was buying when I bought it, I think AT&T is despicable for doing this. They are taking advantage of semantics to sign unwitting customers up for a 4g service that is subpar to that of its competitors and its own LTE - all so they can take their sweet time rolling out their LTE network.

thisrocks
Mar 9, 2012, 01:22 AM
It's funny that this thread came out as I was researching HSPA and HSPA+ - Telstra's LTE isn't compatible with the new iPad's supported Frequencies.

I thought I'd take a squiz at what the iPad 2, new iPad (no clear tech specs on the Apple site/Wikipedia yet) and then iPhone 4/4S (I now technically own an iPad 3 and officially own an iPhone 4) just to get a comparison, as my Dad uses a Galaxy S II - oh how he loves the droid.

Anyway, straight from Apple regarding the iPhone 4S
World phone
UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz);
GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
CDMA EV-DO Rev. A (800, 1900 MHz)4
802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi (802.11n 2.4GHz only)
Bluetooth 4.0 wireless technology

HS(D/U)PA != HSPA+

See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-Speed_Packet_Access
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolved_HSPA

Now I appreciate that the iPhone 4S can somehow use HSPA+ but how come Apple hasn't stated this on their site? Nor is it mentioned on Wikipedia, nor for that matter, GSM Arena - With the maximum listed speed being 14.4mbps

As an aside, how do you sell a 4G phone (100mbps minimum according to guide-lines I saw stated above - true or not) when even the new iPad is only capable of actually receiving LTE signals at 78mbps REGARDLESS of the Towers ability to pump out signal at higher speed than that. Marketing or not.

If anyone could explain this to me I'd be more than grateful.

Edit:Current HSDPA deployments support down-link speeds of 1.8, 3.6, 7.2 and 14.4 Megabit/s. Further speed increases are available with HSPA+, which provides speeds of up to 42 Mbit/s downlink and 84 Mbit/s with Release 9 of the 3GPP standards. So yeah, PLEASE, someone explain to me how they can say HSDPA can show 4G? It is limited to 14.4mbps!

mingoglia
Mar 9, 2012, 03:06 AM

LOL Me too! :D

adder7712
Mar 9, 2012, 09:01 AM
HSPA+ does NOT = 4G! :mad:

The status bar should simply display 3G+ when it is HSPA+!!!!
Or just show 3G for standard UMTS, H for standard HSPA and H+ for HSPA+. It's what Sony Ericsson shows on their phones' status bar. Same can be said to Samsung as well.

PODshady
Mar 9, 2012, 11:50 AM

I think 3G+ would be a better description

jabbawok
Mar 9, 2012, 04:43 PM

G = Gprs
E = Edge
Ev = EVDO
U = UMTS
H = HSPA
H+ = HSDPA+
L = LTE
La =LTE Advanced

I don't know what all the standards are, probably CDMA or W-CDMA should be in the list as well.

And, don't say it's too difficult for people to understand, they would find out really fast that if they download on (G) Gprs that it is slower than (H+) HSDPA.

I'm inclined to agree with you. It's complicated but honest. Perhaps a sync speed indicator would be best, if that's eve possible.

ihonda
Mar 9, 2012, 05:00 PM
so does that mean we have 5GB data limits not 3GB limits anymore?

funnyent
Mar 9, 2012, 09:21 PM
I'd say In My area, Atlanta, Ga, that the speeds are good enough to label as 4G.

Mac-Addict
Mar 9, 2012, 10:05 PM
Three's HSPA+ in the UK:

https://p.twimg.com/AcBtkCqCEAAHiit.jpg
+ blanket coverage all over my town :)

smirking
Mar 10, 2012, 01:58 AM
Look at my amazing 4G speeds!Image (http://img.tapatalk.com/627633d6-49e5-d81c.jpg)

The problem is that you've only got three bars, which really isn't that strong of a signal. Where I live, my AT&T signal needs at least four bars to be reliable. This isn't just a problem I have with AT&T. I think Verizon is the only carrier that doesn't have spotty coverage at my house and even they aren't rock solid.

That said, I don't appear to be seeing any real improvement in my signal or speed. It might have gotten a bump up, but it's hard to say with how spotty things are at my house. I'll have to go someplace where there's reliable coverage before I make up my mind.

cjmillsnun
Mar 10, 2012, 02:14 AM

G = Gprs
E = Edge
Ev = EVDO
U = UMTS
H = HSPA
H+ = HSDPA+
L = LTE
La =LTE Advanced

I would go with this. (using standard Apple symbols)

o = GPRS
E = EDGE
3G = UMTS, HSPA
3G+ or H+ = HSPA+ or LTE
4G = LTE Advanced

osxnewbe
Mar 11, 2012, 10:16 AM
I have two smart phones, one personal and one work. My personal phone is a 4S on AT&T and my work phone is a Verizon 4G smartphone.

I upgraded to 5.1 yesterday and have seen some nice speed increases. Before the upgrade, I was seeing download speeds around 1.0 Mbps and after the update, I am seeing speeds from 5 to 8 Mbps.

My Verizon phone has had a high download speed of 47.72 Mbps and have several tests above 20 Mbps.

That being said while AT&T's HSPA+ is not a true 4G network, the speed is faster for most of what I would need. I would like to see AT&T use something like 3G+ or HPSA+ instead of 4G...

confirmed
Mar 11, 2012, 11:36 AM
Question: I'm pretty sure the area I work in is not an HSPA+ area. However, the indicator is still showing 4G.

Has anybody, since upgrading their 4S to 5.1, not seen "4G" in the status bar??

Excellent question... I'm wondering if they've added a 4G symbol or just replaced 3G with 4G.

I've got a 3G MicroCell at home. While I don't use it for data, I'm 90% sure it does not support HSPA+. With WiFi turned off, my updated iPhone 4S now shows M-Cell 4G.

4G, 3G+, H+, whatever.. It'd be one thing to call it 4G when it detects HSPA+ vs HSPA. But to simply replace the 3G symbol with a 4G symbol, no matter what network you're on? That's pretty low...

Senseotech
Mar 11, 2012, 11:50 AM
Excellent question... I'm wondering if they've added a 4G symbol or just replaced 3G with 4G.

I've got a 3G MicroCell at home. While I don't use it for data, I'm 90% sure it does not support HSPA+. With WiFi turned off, my updated iPhone 4S now shows M-Cell 4G.

4G, 3G+, H+, whatever.. It'd be one thing to call it 4G when it detects HSPA+ vs HSPA. But to simply replace the 3G symbol with a 4G symbol, no matter what network you're on? That's pretty low...

I live in a location that AT&T's coverage map confirms is not HSPA+ and still get the 4G logo. That combined with the same effect on my macrocell, and it appears they just just changed the .png file for the 3G indicator.

awadeee
Mar 11, 2012, 09:25 PM
would Rogers, telus, bell do this? they are all HSPA+ aswell i believe

I think so as they all have HSPA+ networks.

The CRTC dumbed down the speeds required to consider a network 4G so technically (at least in Canada), HSPA+ is now legitimately considered 4G.

iamnickgray
Mar 15, 2012, 03:53 PM
What I want to know is, now that we are 4G, does that mean we will be upped to 5GB before they start to throttle us? If they don't, I think this could be a problem for them.

antman2295
Mar 18, 2012, 02:37 PM
Fastest I've pulled on "4G" is 10.01 mbps with 2+mbps. I can usually pull 4-6mbps were ever I go.

Senseotech
Mar 18, 2012, 03:10 PM
What I want to know is, now that we are 4G, does that mean we will be upped to 5GB before they start to throttle us? If they don't, I think this could be a problem for them.

No, since the throttling terms they laid out state that 3G and 4G are 3 gigs, while 4G LTE is 5 gigs. They made the distinction in order to cover themselves when this change went into effect.

iamnickgray
Mar 27, 2012, 04:09 PM
No, since the throttling terms they laid out state that 3G and 4G are 3 gigs, while 4G LTE is 5 gigs. They made the distinction in order to cover themselves when this change went into effect.

Yeah, I read that after I posted... oh well.