PDA

View Full Version : Air Not "Remembering" Screen Brightness?

$MacUser$
Mar 7, 2012, 04:34 PM
I'm a little annoyed by the fact that my Air won't "remember" the brightness I set for the screen. This is especially important for running on battery power, and in general for the longevity of the panel.

I jump into work and forget to bump it down. Without fail it always reverts to 100% brightness by default. What's up with that? I do shut down from time to time to preserve standby power and occasionally plug in an external monitor...would this be "erasing" my brightness settings?

Just sleeping and waking doesn't seem to have an impact.

KylePowers
Mar 7, 2012, 05:05 PM
Well, unless you changed anything, it should change depending on your surroundings. If it's bright, it'll kick up the brightness. If it's dark, the screen should dim. But if you don't like it doing that, you can just go to System Preferences -> Displays and disable 'Automatically adjust brightness'

Unless this is what you've already done and it's not remembering it?

$MacUser$
Mar 7, 2012, 05:22 PM
Well, unless you changed anything, it should change depending on your surroundings. If it's bright, it'll kick up the brightness. If it's dark, the screen should dim. But if you don't like it doing that, you can just go to System Preferences -> Displays and disable 'Automatically adjust brightness'

Unless this is what you've already done and it's not remembering it?

I always disable automatic right out of the box, and it's still disabled. I know just sleeping and waking won't impact the brightness setting, just from working on it now. So I don't know whether going to and from A/C, to and from external, or shutting down (or some combination of these), is causing the computer to forget the "off AC" brightness setting.

Really annoying...it's easy to forget, especially in a bright environment, and there goes my battery power...

onthecouchagain
Mar 7, 2012, 07:49 PM
Same thing happens to me. I too find it obnoxious that it changes it every time I plug/unplug charger.

chrf097
Mar 7, 2012, 07:55 PM
I always disable automatic right out of the box, and it's still disabled. I know just sleeping and waking won't impact the brightness setting, just from working on it now. So I don't know whether going to and from A/C, to and from external, or shutting down (or some combination of these), is causing the computer to forget the "off AC" brightness setting.

Really annoying...it's easy to forget, especially in a bright environment, and there goes my battery power...

Same thing happens to me. I too find it obnoxious that it changes it every time I plug/unplug charger.

Make sure that the "Slightly dim the display...." option under "Energy Saver - Battery" is turned off.

http://i39.tinypic.com/1z64bxi.png

$MacUser$
Mar 8, 2012, 01:56 PM
Make sure that the "Slightly dim the display...." option under "Energy Saver - Battery" is turned off.

Image (http://i39.tinypic.com/1z64bxi.png)

Already have that taken care of. I think it's an issue whereby plugging in to an external monitor and running clamshell resets the built-in screen brightness.

chrf097
Mar 8, 2012, 02:35 PM
Already have that taken care of. I think it's an issue whereby plugging in to an external monitor and running clamshell resets the built-in screen brightness.

Did you also uncheck the option underneath it?

$MacUser$
Mar 9, 2012, 07:24 PM
Did you also uncheck the option underneath it?

Yup and yup. I noticed this is happening after plugging into an external display. It seems to reset everything but my sleep time settings.