Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrVegas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2005
Columbia, Md.
My new G5 Powermac is in my living room. It is connected to a home network router, which is located in the basement. Right now I have a POS PC in the basement. Is there any way to set up a monitor/keyboard/mouse "terminal" in the basement to access the Powermac upstairs without buying another Mac?

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
Not sure if you mean this, but there's a Remote Desktop Client from Microsoft which you can use on a PC to remotely control a Mac. It's a free download from the Microsoft website IIRC.

Edit: Wrong info! See robbieduncan's response.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Depends what you want (and what you are willing to install on the PC). If you are willing to have a kind of screen sharing then VNC would let you remote control the Mac from the PC. This pretty much limits the setup to one user as they Mac screen will be under control of the PC. You can get command line access to the Mac via ssh which allows true multi-user access, but no GUI programs (unless you are using Unix programs running under X11).

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Veldek said:
Not sure if you mean this, but there's a Remote Desktop Client from Microsoft which you can use on a PC to remotely control a Mac. It's a free download from the Microsoft website IIRC.

Wrong way round. RDC lets you connect to a Windows machine from your Mac and control it. The client (for Mac) is free but you need to be running Terminal Services or Remote Desktop Services on the PC (which may or may not be free, I think the latter might be included with Win XP Pro).

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
robbieduncan said:
Wrong way round. RDC lets you connect to a Windows machine from your Mac and control it. The client (for Mac) is free but you need to be running Terminal Services or Remote Desktop Services on the PC (which may or may not be free, I think the latter might be included with Win XP Pro).
Sorry, you're right. Got it messed up.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
MrVegas said:
My new G5 Powermac is in my living room. It is connected to a home network router, which is located in the basement. Right now I have a POS PC in the basement. Is there any way to set up a monitor/keyboard/mouse "terminal" in the basement to access the Powermac upstairs without buying another Mac?
You can't do what you want to do with a dumb terminal. If you want GUI access to your Mac from your Windows computers, the solution has been available for more than a decade. It is called Timbuktu Pro from Netopia.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.