Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 30, 2010
Have there been more rumors on MS offering a Office Suite for the iPad?

Hoping now that the 3 is here, they would do this!

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
That would make my life easier as iPad rollout manager ... The user still love MS Office too much and complain lots because of old templates. Though the iWork's apps are not bad they still render content slightly different.
There is still hope MS don't give up.

kultschar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2010
Well they said they would announce something in a few weeks and its been a few weeks.....

Surely its coming, I doubt that journalist was lying somehow and went to all that trouble

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm sure MS is waiting for the iPad 3 news to settle before they announce something

DuckSoup

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2008
Upstate Central NY
Has anyone seen anything official as to cost of this?

Somehow I expect it to be an Office 365 offshoot. (or has THAT already been announced as part of their plan?). I haven't paid that close attention.

Mike

Steveht37

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2012
I am eager for this news as well. We need some of those expert iPad sleuths to dig in. They nailed most of the "new" iPad predictions and with nothing to do now let's dig into MS!

Let the "new" iPhone rumors wait a week or two...give me Excel!

MortalDays

macrumors regular
May 29, 2010
I think I understand that, but I want excel on my device not through connecting to another computer.

This is ON your device technically. There is no need for another computer since the app provided the computer for you "in the cloud". You can also use Flash through the browser for $5 a month. I am getting this app when I get my iPad Friday. :D

Perhaps I will be back here to post my review of it.

P.S. it does require an internet connection to access the desktop. For me, this is no problem since I am always connected to wifi @ my university (they have wifi in every building) or 4G LTE if I really need it.

mortenandersen

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Norway
OnLive available in Europe?

My university blocks the ports that OnLive uses. Very unfortunate.

I think I have read somewhere that OnLive is not available in Europe - is that so?

Anyways - an MS Office app for iPad without having to be connected to the internet is clearly what I want and need.

I hope it will arrive soon!

coupdetat

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
Goodness please let them release it soon! I've wasted countless hours trying to find a satisfactory productivity app. Bit the bullet and spent $20 on quickoffice only to find that it is incredibly laggy when typing, a huge sore point that went unmentioned in the reviews from "reputable" sources that I read. Pages is a high quality program but lacks tons of features, making it barely more useful than writeroom. Scared to drop any more money until a REAL company releases a REAL productivity app.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
I anxiously anticipate Office as well, but find myself skeptical that it will work out the way we all hope.

First, we don't know if it's actually even coming to iOS.

Second, we don't know what form it's coming in (native app or some sort of Office365 cloud solution).

Third, we don't know how much functionality they will include and how much they will leave out. A lot of people want track changes, but it's a helluva stretch to think they will bake that kind of advanced functionality in a mobile app.

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
I honestly thought we would see something after the iPad (3rd Generation) was announced.

We know that 58 million iPads where sold by the end of 2011. So by now we have to be between 65 and 70 million. We should know the actual number in a few weeks when Apple announces it quarterly numbers.

If even 20% of the iPad market purchased Office for iPad you are looking at 13 to 14 million customers. That seems like a very large opportunity left on the table by the Office team.

The politics at Microsoft may prevent them from coming to iOS. But Microsoft at it's heart is a software company and I would think in time we will see Office on the iPad.

And I really don't believe it is a hardware issue. Look at the iLife and iWork suites from Apple, the iPad can run advanced software.

kultschar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2010
I honestly thought we would see something after the iPad (3rd Generation) was announced.

We know that 58 million iPads where sold by the end of 2011. So by now we have to be between 65 and 70 million. We should know the actual number in a few weeks when Apple announces it quarterly numbers.

If even 20% of the iPad market purchased Office for iPad you are looking at 13 to 14 million customers. That seems like a very large opportunity left on the table by the Office team.

The politics at Microsoft may prevent them from coming to iOS. But Microsoft at it's heart is a software company and I would think in time we will see Office on the iPad.

And I really don't believe it is a hardware issue. Look at the iLife and iWork suites from Apple, the iPad can run advanced software.

Well Microsoft said they would announce something in the next few weeks (in response to denying the Office iPad leak was their software). If they were not doing something then they would have surely just denied it and not mentioned an "announcement"

tommot82

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2010
Doesn't matter how useful the apps are really, it's just a badge for corperate rollout!

Last edited:

Still100

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2011
I don't believe ms will release office for iPad. That would seriously affect sales of their tablet line windows 8, it's that simple.

I've just purchased Numbers to help me deal with my Excel needs. It's fair to say Numbers for iPad is a terrible app. I would like a refund it's that bad, as if was designed for kids school work only.

I see ms office as the key component of a windows 8 tablet fight/comeback. I would have to switch as many others may too. I would be very surprised if they offered office for iPad.

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
See post #19......I think there will be an Office for iPad given that reasoning.

Holding back on releasing this app so as to not hurt sales of a Windows tablet is crazy - how many iPad owners will jump to a Windows tablet just because Office is available? Not too many is my guess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.