PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to register as a developer to test my app?

v2club
Mar 11, 2012, 03:29 PM
I don't have any apps yet, still working on my first one. I was wandering whether I need to register as a developer and pay the $99 in order to be able to test a Mac/iPhone app on my own device?

KnightWRX
Mar 11, 2012, 03:32 PM
Mac application ? No. iPhone application ? Yes.

v2club
Mar 11, 2012, 05:26 PM
Mac application ? No. iPhone application ? Yes.

Hmm the other way around would seem more logical to me. Develop a Mac app and then test is on my MBP without paying 99 dollars because the OS X is not restricted from installing apps from any source, while the iOS is (unless it's jail broken). That's weird, I don't understand the logic behind it.

chown33
Mar 11, 2012, 05:36 PM
Hmm the other way around would seem more logical to me. Develop a Mac app and then test is on my MBP without paying 99 dollars because the OS X is not restricted from installing apps from any source, while the iOS is (unless it's jail broken). That's weird, I don't understand the logic behind it.

Please reread the question and answer.

You asked: "Do I need to register as a developer to test my app?"

"Mac application ? No."
"No" means you do not need to register as a developer to test your app on any Mac computer.

"iPhone application ? Yes."
"Yes" means you do need to register as a developer and pay $99 to test your app on an actual iOS device. Unless you jailbreak, of course.