PDA

View Full Version : Does a PowerMac 6800 exist?

zarathustra
Oct 25, 2002, 09:36 AM
A friend of mine swears that she has a PowerMac 6800 but I cannot find any information about this machine anywhere, except snippets here and there on Apple's website.

Can anyone give me detailed information about this beast?

Falleron
Oct 25, 2002, 10:07 AM
Take a look at this site for all the details about macs.

http://www.apple-history.com/

However, I dont see it on the listing.

MacBandit
Oct 25, 2002, 10:15 AM
I don't think one exists. It would most likely be a performa with those numbers and I don't think any performas exist past 6300. You can check out every Apple built here at.

http://www.everymac.com/

isogonic
Oct 25, 2002, 10:41 AM
I'm typing this on a power mac 6500. The performas went up to 6400, the 6500 lost the performa tag. The entire product name was way off as they were utilizing a 603ev, which are not as fast as equivalant 603's

MacBandit
Oct 25, 2002, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by isogonic
I'm typing this on a power mac 6500. The performas went up to 6400, the 6500 lost the performa tag. The entire product name was way off as they were utilizing a 603ev, which are not as fast as equivalant 603's

The e stood for energy efficient or extended instruction. The v stood for variable. Which means it was a cpu with the stepper built in where it could cut back on power useage by dropping the clock frequency in times of low load.

zarathustra
Oct 25, 2002, 12:24 PM
Thanks for all that replied. The mistery continues however, because I saw a polaroid of it... It has special AV ports, but other than that I don't know what to think. I will see if I can visit my friend to see it in person.

GeeYouEye
Oct 25, 2002, 02:33 PM
Are you sure it's not the 8600? There was an A/V version of that.

Falleron
Oct 25, 2002, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by GeeYouEye
Are you sure it's not the 8600? There was an A/V version of that.
I have one of those!

MacBandit
Oct 26, 2002, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by Falleron

I have one of those!

All of the 7500-9500 and 7600-9600 Macs had A/V ports on them.

8600 is a good deduction though. A small reversal of numbers.

Once again I recommend to check everymac.com they have photos of them all also.

zarathustra
Oct 26, 2002, 03:44 PM
It's definitely not an 8600 - it does not have the smaller block on the side. It has rounded edges volume control and IR port on the front. Unless she is yanking my chain, I am very intrigued.

MacBandit
Oct 26, 2002, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by zarathustra
It's definitely not an 8600 - it does not have the smaller block on the side. It has rounded edges volume control and IR port on the front. Unless she is yanking my chain, I am very intrigued.

You are definitely describing a later Performa. Check everymac.com and go through the performas until you find a matching photo.

Nipsy
Oct 26, 2002, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by MacBandit

All of the 7500-9500 and 7600-9600 Macs had A/V ports on them.

This is incorrect. The 73/75/7600 series often had them, but not always. It was an option.

The 85/8600 had them at all times.

The 95/9600 series did not have them at all, as they were 'pro' machines, and a 'pro' would buy a beeter PCI card for this functionality.

MacBandit
Oct 27, 2002, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Nipsy

This is incorrect. The 73/75/7600 series often had them, but not always. It was an option.

The 85/8600 had them at all times.

The 95/9600 series did not have them at all, as they were 'pro' machines, and a 'pro' would buy a beeter PCI card for this functionality.

Thanks for clearing that up. My knowledge of this mainly came from an Apple rep who visited my college campus in 1996. At that time he told me all those had AVI outputs. Guess I'm lucky I purchased a 8500 then because otherwise I could have been screwed on what to me was a major purchasing point.

madamimadam
Oct 28, 2002, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by zarathustra
Thanks for all that replied. The mistery continues however, because I saw a polaroid of it... It has special AV ports, but other than that I don't know what to think. I will see if I can visit my friend to see it in person.

You have no way of getting us a copy of the polaroid?

madamimadam
Oct 28, 2002, 12:58 AM
Could they have mistaken a PowerMac for a WorkGroup Server???

Was it a tower or desktop machine?

madamimadam
Oct 28, 2002, 01:07 AM
I don't think one exists. It would most likely be a performa with those numbers and I don't think any performas exist past 6300. You can check out every Apple built here at.

http://www.everymac.com/

I have already found a machine missing there. The LC 630 came EITHER as a solo machine or as a DOS Compitible machine and they only document the latter.

MacBandit
Oct 28, 2002, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by madamimadam

I have already found a machine missing there. The LC 630 came EITHER as a solo machine or as a DOS Compitible machine and they only document the latter.

I'm sure that's just because the only difference is the PC card. Why have both?

Also if you ever find a mistake or a missing item just email them they are happy for the help.

madamimadam
Oct 28, 2002, 01:14 AM

I'm sure that's just because the only difference is the PC card. Why have both?

Also if you ever find a mistake or a missing item just email them they are happy for the help.

They have the multiple versions of every other machine. They have a pretty DAMN find collection there. They should also document the Apple cameras if they are going to have a non-MacOS section.

I could not find an email address for them

MacBandit
Oct 28, 2002, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by madamimadam

They have the multiple versions of every other machine. They have a pretty DAMN find collection there. They should also document the Apple cameras if they are going to have a non-MacOS section.

I could not find an email address for them

I believe you could just email one of the names listed at the very bottom of the home page.

If that doesn't do it become a member it's free.

zarathustra
Nov 20, 2002, 01:44 PM
OK, mistery over. The picture was too low of a quality to show the model number. She remembered the model number incorrectly. After she sent me an Apple system profiler screengrab it's clear now it is a 6500/250 with a built in sub-woofer and AV in-out ports. Aww, shucks. Thanks to all though.