Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maclamb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2002
Northern California
I downloaded a file with a bin extension - Yahoo Messanger install and when I try to openit it starts up Roxio Toast - and needless to say it doesn't run!

How can I get this to open and run correctly?

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
are you using OS X? if not what are you running?
if you are in os x then highlight the .bin file and then hold down the apple key and the letter i . this will open the information for that file and will see where it says open with, change it there.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
That happened to me too. It was annoying, but you just have to set the default program and it will correct it (As stated by sparkleytone). I wonder why that happened to us...

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
Originally posted by scem0
That happened to me too. It was annoying, but you just have to set the default program and it will correct it (As stated by sparkleytone). I wonder why that happened to us...

it happened because .bin is also a common disk image format, which Toast recognizes.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Isn't it illegal from programs to become the default program for opening something unless it asks 1st? It probably did, and I just clicked 'Okay' without looking, because I tend to do that :D.

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
What happened is that the meta-data for application preference is often lost when a file is downloaded, and the OS decides which association to make.

I have a StuffIt .bin sitting right next Toast .bin, each with the correct icon, each opens to the correct app...

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
I had that problem to. BUT then I just dragged the icon to my StuffIt Expander (that was in my Dock) and it opened fine. The other ways are good to if you didn't want to keep StuffIt in your Dock. I don't keep it in my Dock either, but I happened to have the program open so it worked :)

Just my thoughts... :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.