PDA

View Full Version : I'm Torn




bornblind
Mar 16, 2012, 08:56 AM
So, I just sold my Late 2008 MBP Unibody on Craigslist and picked up a open box 13" i5 128GB Macbook Air from Best Buy. This machine is my only computer. I know what the buyers guide says on the Air.

I'm just wondering if I jumped the gun on the Air. I know we don't know when or what the new "slimmer Pro" or "new Air" will bring soon. My question is what would you do?

Return the Air and try to wait for the new slim pro or new air or just keep what I have?

I went with the air for the battery life and form factor. The only thing that hurts me is no Firewire 800 and the SSD size. I can work around these two but would use Firewire if I had it for external drives.

Just looking for opinions. As the title says, "I'm Torn"

Thanks in advance for your input.



GGJstudios
Mar 16, 2012, 09:01 AM
As the title says, "I'm Torn"
Here ya go:
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTcpWyYQWeBcp0BKnoR3aMyChkIscL7gFWI8fCOwKSv_O44vXrLy_NBQw
Seriously, just buy what you need, when you need it, and never look back. It's a pointless effort to chase the "next update", since you don't know for certain what it will include, and there will always be a "next update" coming, no matter when you buy.

Small White Car
Mar 16, 2012, 09:01 AM
If it's your only computer then I suggest staying put.

When other things are updated you can decide if you want to sell and buy again, but at least you'll be making that choice based on facts rather than speculation.

What if you try and go without a machine and it ends up being 6-8 weeks and then it's only a minor update? Best to stick with what works until you have a better option right in front of you.

bornblind
Mar 16, 2012, 09:07 AM
Here ya go:
Image (http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTcpWyYQWeBcp0BKnoR3aMyChkIscL7gFWI8fCOwKSv_O44vXrLy_NBQw)
Seriously, just buy what you need, when you need it, and never look back. It's a pointless effort to chase the "next update", since you don't know for certain what it will include, and there will always be a "next update" coming, no matter when you buy.

Thanks, not trying chase. Hence just sold my 2008 MBP.

Beanoir
Mar 16, 2012, 09:08 AM
if it's your only computer and it's not working for you as you need it to then take it back and replace it with what you need i'd say, why struggle?

I couldn't live with an MBA as my only computer thats for sure.

bornblind
Mar 16, 2012, 09:10 AM
If it's your only computer then I suggest staying put.

When other things are updated you can decide if you want to sell and buy again, but at least you'll be making that choice based on facts rather than speculation.

What if you try and go without a machine and it ends up being 6-8 weeks and then it's only a minor update? Best to stick with what works until you have a better option right in front of you.

This is what I am thinking I'm going to do. I guess one thing in my head is the amount of $$$ my MBA will lose when the new MBP or Air is released.

In return, they all seem to hold their resell value well in the past. Thanks for the kind opinion.

Beanoir
Mar 16, 2012, 09:16 AM
This is what I am thinking I'm going to do. I guess one thing in my head is the amount of $$$ my MBA will lose when the new MBP or Air is released.

In return, they all seem to hold their resell value well in the past. Thanks for the kind opinion.

This is what I did with my MBA last year and now i'm regretting it, the late 2010 MBAs were selling for good money until the latest version came out, now if I sold it i'd lose 50% of the vlaue I paid new instead of about 15-20% of the value had I solit last summer.

So hence why i'm now having to upgrade the SSD for it to continue to be useful to me, rather than sell it and upgrade which would now cost me 600 rather than 200 for the SSD. If i'd have sold and upgraded last year then it would have cost me about 200-300.

Its all swings and roundabouts I guess but don't expect the MBA to be holding it's value once the new ones are released, thats all i'd say.

Wicked1
Mar 16, 2012, 09:45 AM
So, I just sold my Late 2008 MBP Unibody on Craigslist and picked up a open box 13" i5 128GB Macbook Air from Best Buy. This machine is my only computer. I know what the buyers guide says on the Air.

I'm just wondering if I jumped the gun on the Air. I know we don't know when or what the new "slimmer Pro" or "new Air" will bring soon. My question is what would you do?

Return the Air and try to wait for the new slim pro or new air or just keep what I have?

I went with the air for the battery life and form factor. The only thing that hurts me is no Firewire 800 and the SSD size. I can work around these two but would use Firewire if I had it for external drives.

Just looking for opinions. As the title says, "I'm Torn"

Thanks in advance for your input.


If you do not mind me asking, what did you pay for the MBA and was it in perfect condition, only because I tried once before to buy from BB and the unit was all screwed up, OS was in Portugese and there was a password on the 13", took it back for a full refund, but they are kinda shady at times, but I am in the market for a 13 MBA with 4/128 or 256

bornblind
Mar 16, 2012, 09:56 AM
If you do not mind me asking, what did you pay for the MBA and was it in perfect condition, only because I tried once before to buy from BB and the unit was all screwed up, OS was in Portugese and there was a password on the 13", took it back for a full refund, but they are kinda shady at times, but I am in the market for a 13 MBA with 4/128 or 256

It is new condition. I took it to my local Apple store and had it checked out. Everything is good on it. It is a 13 MBA with 4/128. I got it for $900 with tax

Wicked1
Mar 19, 2012, 10:58 AM
It is new condition. I took it to my local Apple store and had it checked out. Everything is good on it. It is a 13 MBA with 4/128. I got it for $900 with tax

Good price, but how much time is left on the standard warranty?

bornblind
Mar 19, 2012, 11:00 AM
Good price, but how much time is left on the standard warranty?

The full 12 Months. Till March 2013

Lukebull
Mar 19, 2012, 12:50 PM
Are there any rumours for the date of the new MBA release?