Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peter2002

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 1, 2002
Dallas, TX
"When you're providing products that people want and need, and doing so at a price better than anyone else, you can call us what you want," Dell spokesman Mike Maher said.

By eliminating the middleman, Dell has been able to expand its share of the PC market profit pool from about 1.4 percent in 1990 to almost 16 percent last year, according to Bear Stearns.

Just last week, it regained the No. 1 spot in worldwide PC sales, after briefly losing the crown to the newly merged HP.

Dell has kept its overall costs down, and spends only about $500 million in research and development, compared with HP's $4 billion.

Maher argues that there is "no reason for us to spend more money to do things that our partners are already doing."

Dell's rivals counter that the company is nothing more than a reseller of other firms' technologies.

"I have never known a computer company proud about not spending money on technology," said Shahin Khan, Sun's chief competitive officer.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2002/10/26/BU209451.DTL

He, he, he, he. In 10 years there, will be only 4 computer companys, Dell, IBM, Apple, and of course all the "white-boxers". The rest will be Chapter 13 BK.

Peter :)

rice_web

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Minot, North Dakota
Well, the computer industry is shaping like the automotive industry. So, I could see where one or two companies will take the spotlight in an ever-decreasing market.

What does it matter? Only a handful of people actually have an interest in making a computer purchase. They'll all be losing money for some time.

whfsdude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2002
Washington DC
IBM & Apple are really the only two great computer companies. Dell seems to have found a market in the middle. I think people see Apple & IBM as being too expensive, and Compaq/HP & Gateway being too cheap. So they go with Dell and Sony being in the middle. I really hope Dell stays #1 because sony has some design minds which could keep people from switching to Apple. Where as Dell is sorta dull :)

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
actually, IBM never mad a single red cent of profit on their personal computer sales.

it's the only division of ibm that has never been profitable.

springscansing

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2002
New York
Originally posted by applemacdude
But Sony is no match to apple design wise:p :cool: :D :) :eek: ;)

Good post... how many posts ya up to now?

*cough* Be nice John...

Anyway, I don't personally think it matters if Dell or Sony or IBM is number one in the PC world. Macs compete against the PC market as a whole, not against PC manufactures individually. Right now, Apple has the advantages of a superior OS and better, tightly controlled, quality produts. It has the disadvantage of Motorola.

Apple can only go so far pushing iApps and "digital hub" sort of things (pretty far to be honest). However, when Apple gets a new processor out there, then things will really heat up and it will be Apple versus everyone.

We just need to wait for the next insanely great thing to come along. :)

And damnit, it better be fast!

springscansing

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2002
New York
Originally posted by rice_web
Well, the computer industry is shaping like the automotive industry. So, I could see where one or two companies will take the spotlight in an ever-decreasing market.

What does it matter? Only a handful of people actually have an interest in making a computer purchase. They'll all be losing money for some time.

I agree. Computers today are at a point where they do everything they need to do. Word processing, games, and internet/email basically. Unless some new use for computers comes down the pipe anytime soon (and maybe the "digital hub" is it), computer sales will continue to slump. Even if people do have the money and the economy is going well, most people can think of a lot more things more appealing than a new computer. Why buy a new one if their's already does everything it needs to do?

chmorley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2002
Denver, CO
Originally posted by springscansing
Good post... how many posts ya up to now?
WTF? This is a guy who has been around for over a year, posting 41 times. Are you accusing him of trying ot increase his post count, or criticizing him for not posting enough?

Either way, that's a lot of attitude, especially for someone who's new here. It's not helpful.

Chris

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.