PDA

View Full Version : Switch MacBook Pro 13 for MacBook Air 11

ninjaslim
Mar 17, 2012, 09:34 PM
I currently have the following machine: MacBook Pro 13" with 8GB of RAM and a 128GB Crucial SSD. However, I absolutely love the MacBook Air 11 form factor. What do you guys thinking of switching what I have now for the MacBook Air 11 with the i7 and 128GB SSD, which should be enough for me? I don't use the drive on my Mac or the ports most of the time, and I'm looking to get the Thunderbolt display soon anyway.

The Samurai
Mar 17, 2012, 11:45 PM
Seen as that you have a Mac right now and theres no urgency in picking up an Air - you'd be better of waiting for the refreshed models which are due soon (April-May'ish).

Supa_Fly
Mar 18, 2012, 12:12 AM
I currently have the following machine: MacBook Pro 13" with 8GB of RAM and a 128GB Crucial SSD. However, I absolutely love the MacBook Air 11 form factor. What do you guys thinking of switching what I have now for the MacBook Air 11 with the i7 and 128GB SSD, which should be enough for me? I don't use the drive on my Mac or the ports most of the time, and I'm looking to get the Thunderbolt display soon anyway.

How can anyone offer a suggestion to assist when you haven't stated what you wanted out of your daily use for either?

Personally I love the MBA 13" form-factor BUT to me it only is good for:
web, email, documents, Outlook, iPhoto, iMovie and possibly GarageBand.
11" MBA ... about the same without GarageBand ... but at that size for those uses ... why bother? Go with the iPad 3 as it has the horsepower and slightly better battery life over time not to mention - Dual Carrier HSPA+ & LTE.

I required Logic use and switched to the MBP 13" i7 model.
in 2 weeks I'll be upgrading: 8/16GB RAM
Downgranding/Upgrading: 750GB HDD to a 480 SSD, along with a ThunderBolt LaCie External. I'll still be a bit under that performance in Logic Express vs the hardware but it'll last me 3yrs.

----------

Actually,

considering your signature ...

Sell: iPad & MBP,

Buy: iPad 3 ... wait for refreshed MBA in June/July 2012 - buy Apple stock in the meantime and wait for a 25% increase to help pay off the new hardware ;)

entatlrg
Mar 18, 2012, 12:22 AM
MacBook Air sounds like a great choice, and since you like the 11" you'll probably really enjoy using it.

An iPad is no replacement for a computer so if you're looking to do tasks or content creation quickly and efficiently then a laptop is the way to go.

I have both and iPad 4G and an Air, I really like them both, they get used all day every day.

ninjaslim
Mar 18, 2012, 01:18 AM
Thanks for the reply. My apologies folks for not mentioning what I use my computer for. Mostly internet, document processing, some graphic design, photography and light movie editing.

Buildbright
Mar 18, 2012, 11:55 PM
The only advantage of the Pro 13" to me is the ram upgradabliity. But for me the 13" Air is a powerhouse of a laptop. I was surprised how well it handles photoshop and premiere. Games are hit and miss but that's what the console is for right lol. I am hoping for a 8gb ram option on the new Air.

I love the 13" Air and Pro because I think they are a great value because you get into Apple with a great laptop for around a $1000 that you can upgrade every year if you want for $200.

ninjaslim
Mar 19, 2012, 01:25 AM
When do you expect the upgrade to drop? There's a good deal on a refurbished 11" right now.

adddictedtomac
Mar 19, 2012, 06:29 AM

I understand what you mean. I purchased last November the MBA 11'' just to use as a light traveling laptop. I could not believe how fast it is! I got the one with the 4GB RAM and 128 GB SSD, and I feel that it is faster than my iMac 2.5GHz i5! Boots up in 30 secs and loads software in 1-2 seconds. To make long story short, I do not use my MacBook 13'' anymore, and I find myself using more often the MBA even at home.

ninjaslim
Mar 19, 2012, 12:14 PM
I feel like the MacBook Air 11", a loaded one, could easily last me for a few years. Plus, I don't like the weight of the MacBook Pro and don't feel it's necessary since I rarely use any of the ports or the drive on it. Really, the best combo for me is MacBook Air + Mac Mini.