Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bootcampWA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2012
How's it going.

I've been thinking about installing Windows on Mac via Bootcamp, but as I started researching on how to do it I've realized that my MacAir doesn't have a CD/DVD drive. Herp Derp.

Is there anyway to get Windows on my Mac?

Bob Coxner

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
How's it going.

I've been thinking about installing Windows on Mac via Bootcamp, but as I started researching on how to do it I've realized that my MacAir doesn't have a CD/DVD drive. Herp Derp.

You can do it with thumb drives.

I put a Win 7 ISO on one thumb drive and then put a blank thumb drive in the other USB port. Ran Bootcamp and everything installed fine.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Then they should get one instead of making it more complicated by getting a Win7 .iso and a thumb drive.
There's no need to buy a SuperDrive if there's another computer available that has one, especially if there's infrequent need for one.

Hawkeye16

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2009
Iowa
Yeah, and if they have another computer of any kind, making an .iso is much much easier and cheaper than buying a SuperDrive.

Pharmscott

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2011
Sacramento, CA
I've installed Win7 on my Mini via a thumb drive. It took a little reading to get it going properly but here are the tips I learned. 1) Be sure to use a minimum 8gb thumb drive. The Win7 ISO is around 4gb but you need the extra space for drivers that Bootcamp will download in the process. 2) Be sure to mount (not just copy) the ISO to the drive or Bootcamp won't see it and let you proceed. 3) If you do use another computer to rip your own ISO, check this link on converting it: http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20040121135301830

Feel free to PM me if you think I can answer any specific questions.

Mr MM

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2011
I do remember seeing a create win 7 usb bootable thumbdrive in the bootcamp assistant... so I would start with that. Dunno if its for lion only

asianjabba

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2012
with the macbook air 2010, booting from USB thumb drive is proving the most difficult. if anbody has any sucess in doing that besides going back to snow leopard or buying an optical disk drive, please post here. thanks

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
with the macbook air 2010, booting from USB thumb drive is proving the most difficult. if anbody has any sucess in doing that besides going back to snow leopard or buying an optical disk drive, please post here. thanks

open boot camp assistant. Choose create usb bootable. Point to ISO file. Follow steps. Install. Success.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
How's it going.

The drives are cheap. I had a Lenovo slim portable drive and it worked perfectly. You can pick up a portable USB drive for little. You are going to need to install software anyway.

bootcampWA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2012
ummmm.....the awkward moment when you are installing windows and you're stuck on the 'where do you want to install windows page' and can't do anything about it because you get the error message - "windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space. Windows must be installed to a part ion formatted as NTFS"

I have the empty USB in on the right .... and I've tried to quit and restart but I can't boot up mac os, i either get black screen with no Boot disc error message or I can try installing windows again.

please help!!!

wait.....I formatted the bootcamp drive.... seems to be working

it's alive. so how and where do I find the driver for wifi internet connection ?

----------

better question yet.... how can I go back to my mac os to use every time i boot up i get unto windows os

Last edited by a moderator:

ToaDA

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2012
New Zealand
better question yet.... how can I go back to my mac os to use every time i boot up i get unto windows os

Hold down the option key on startup, then select your mac partition. If you want to be able to chose the OS every time you start up, you can get rEFIt instead of having to hold the option key down each time.

bootcampWA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2012
thank robbieduncan. my bad :D

so how can I get the camera, the network driver, and everything else to work accordingly?

digitalhen

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
it's alive. so how and where do I find the driver for wifi internet connection ?

----------

The drivers are on the thumb drive that Bootcamp created, in a folder called WindowsSupport. Run the setup.exe and everything will work (brightness, wifi, etc).

To reboot in to Mac, no need to press option at start up, just run the Boot Camp software in Windows and select the Mac drive... and hit restart.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.