PDA

View Full Version : Comment on Monoprice USB Gigabit Adapter

JHUFrank
Mar 22, 2012, 09:13 AM
I carry several of these for my IT work. The other day, during a torrential downpour here in Oklahoma, one of these dropped from my Waterfield Sleeve case and full into a puddle in my driveway. I didn't notice it til I got home that night. I shook the thing out, threw it in my oven on 165 degrees, and left it in there for about 5 hours. I was taking care of my 3 year old son and forgot all about it until I was locking up for bed. Took the darn thing out, smelled a little cooked, lol.
Today, I brought the adapter into work with me, plugged it in, and it worked without a problem. I will keep an eye on it over several weeks, but I am pretty darn impressed for a 15 buck ethernet adapter.

oneMadRssn
Mar 22, 2012, 05:39 PM
Off-topic slightly:

Since USB 2.0 is limited to 480mbps, and that theoretical maximum speed is rarely if ever achievable, what's the point of getting a gigabit ethernet adapter?

Otherwise, monoprice is awesome. Love it.

weckart
Mar 22, 2012, 07:17 PM
Off-topic slightly:

Since USB 2.0 is limited to 480mbps, and that theoretical maximum speed is rarely if ever achievable, what's the point of getting a gigabit ethernet adapter?

Would think that the point would be pretty obvious. USB2 > 802.11n>100/10, if we are talking about theoretical sustained maximum throughput speeds and there are of course situations where no wireless solution is available.

JHUFrank
Mar 22, 2012, 08:11 PM
Apple's USB adapter is only 10/100
Off-topic slightly:

mrogersscf
Mar 22, 2012, 09:17 PM
Tangentially, have any of you used Monoprice's Thunderbolt to DVI adapter?

chekk
Mar 23, 2012, 11:35 PM

Yep, I have both the dongle (item 5106) and cable (item 5999) versions, and they work great to drive a 1920x1200 external monitor (HP ZR24W).

deepakvrao
Mar 25, 2012, 10:58 AM

Using two of the cables and they work great.

fruitycups
Mar 25, 2012, 12:58 PM
Wirelessly posted

Not that great..