PDA

View Full Version : Anyone who has the 2011 model gonna sell it to get the 2012 refresh?

Kendo
Mar 22, 2012, 09:38 PM
I typically buy the latest iPhone and iPad as soon as the refresh hits since the upgrade cost typically isn't that bad (sold my iPad 2 for $450 two months ago and bought the new one for $500). I thought about getting into the habit of doing it with my MacBook Air but I really can't foresee the next refresh being that much better. Sure it will be faster and include USB 3.0 (maybe) but unlike the past refresh which added a Core i5, Thunderbolt, and a backlit keyboard, I just can't see the next one being worth the hassle of selling and upgrading.

What are your thoughts? I'd like to hear opinions from people who plan on holding onto their 2011 model and those who plan on upgrading.

wrinkster22
Mar 22, 2012, 09:40 PM
I probably won't.
I probably will keep it as it fits my needs fine.
I will get a new iPod probably.
I do see your logic though.

bcaslis
Mar 22, 2012, 10:20 PM
Depends on what is in the refresh. If it's just incrementally faster processor and maybe USB 3.0, then no. Something like a new form factor or better displays then probably yes.

atMac
Mar 22, 2012, 10:24 PM
Maybe, I may upgrade to a i7, if it also has UBS3, a SATA3 SSD and 6GB of RAM or more.

Other wise it's not really to much worth an upgrade for me.

tech324
Mar 22, 2012, 10:38 PM
I may upgrade if they come out with a 15 inch macbook air. I have the 13 inch macbook air (2011) and i love it but a 15 inch would be kick ass. Especially if they up the ram. i think the processor is fine unless they can make it more efficient.

urkel
Mar 22, 2012, 10:45 PM
I tried selling my 11" a few weeks ago and was getting offers left and right but I backed off because I wasn't sure I could handle losing it. But after thinking it through I tried listing it again last week and NOBODY wants it. I guess the new iPad soured the ultra portable market.

arctic
Mar 23, 2012, 04:58 AM
I actually have my eyes open on what the new 13" Pro will be like. If it indeed will have a thinner form factor and a better resolution than what the 13" Air has now, I might jump on that. The biggest factor will be a GPU better than the HD4000 for the Pro because I'm sure the upcoming Air would be limited to just the HD4000. Also the fact that the Air update would be a bit later than the Ivy Bridge Pro and I need to quench my 'new Mac thirst' asap.

harleymhs
Mar 23, 2012, 05:26 AM
I longer lasting battery would make me sell my 11" i5 .. other than that I Love my 11" air!!

boy-better-know
Mar 23, 2012, 05:42 AM
I typically buy the latest iPhone and iPad as soon as the refresh hits since the upgrade cost typically isn't that bad (sold my iPad 2 for $450 two months ago and bought the new one for $500). I thought about getting into the habit of doing it with my MacBook Air but I really can't foresee the next refresh being that much better. Sure it will be faster and include USB 3.0 (maybe) but unlike the past refresh which added a Core i5, Thunderbolt, and a backlit keyboard, I just can't see the next one being worth the hassle of selling and upgrading.

What are your thoughts? I'd like to hear opinions from people who plan on holding onto their 2011 model and those who plan on upgrading.
No I wont. I upgrade my iDevices yearly but not my macs. I actually use my macs for serious stuff other than messing about so dont need the hassle. I will be getting the new imac in 2012 when that launches. But I am completely happy with my 2011 air. I use it more than anything else.

Stein357
Mar 23, 2012, 05:56 AM
I find myself yearning for a faster CPU, so yes, probably.

bogatyr
Mar 23, 2012, 08:07 AM
I want to switch my personal late 2011 MBP 13" for a MBA 13" so I'll probably do it during the refresh later this year. My work MBA is quite nice and I dread pulling out my personal MBP due to the size now.

Macman45
Mar 23, 2012, 08:12 AM
I doubt I will, my 13" is fine for my needs...a large SSD might swing me in that direction though.

DDustiNN
Mar 23, 2012, 08:50 AM
If:

Higher (retina?) resolution
8 GB RAM
USB 3.0
i7 1.8 or more
Then:

Yes
Else:

No

rockyroad55
Mar 23, 2012, 09:24 AM
I might not unless it's a serious upgrade to me like the 15" possibility or better resolution.

WMuntean
Mar 23, 2012, 09:28 AM
I'm looking to upgrade my 2010 MBA. Hope I can get $800 (w/ a year Apple Care left) for the base 13" model--I'm trying to stay hopeful.

I like working on the MBA, but I'm finding myself needing more power and ram. If the new MBA won't offer 8GB I might have to go to a 13" pro. Blah. I hope to upgrade my MBA this year and wait another year (or two) to upgrade my 17".

calvol
Mar 23, 2012, 11:41 AM
Will go for the 15" MBP/MBA and give my 13" 2010 MBA to my wife.

normwood
Mar 23, 2012, 12:03 PM
I just bought my 11" about 3 weeks ago....so nope.

I use it for sofa surfing and it rides along in my Timbuk2 messenger bag for those impromptu surfing sessions while about and about. Works perfectly for my needs.

Steve

warfed
Mar 23, 2012, 12:05 PM
If it runs cooler or has a higher resolution screen I will.

Cynicalone
Mar 23, 2012, 03:09 PM
No.

My upgrade cycle for laptops is 2 to 3 years.

I'm sure "retina" would be tempting, but I will wait.

KylePowers
Mar 23, 2012, 04:10 PM
Relative wants my 2011 13in, so probably going to spring for a 2012 once they hit. Not sure if I'm going to go 11in or 13in, but we'll see. Once I get it, I'll probably keep it for 2-3 years.

I'm hoping for 2 things, aside from Ivy Bridge which is a given - Vastly increased battery life (especially on the 11) and HD FaceTime camera. With all the news about retina displays, that'd be cool too though.

My one true dream is for the 11in to squeeze in a 12.5in or 13in screen, while keeping the same dimensions. It wouldn't be too hard if they moved the camera a little higher and the Macbook Air logo a little lower. They might need some type of thinner LCD, but I think it's doable. But I don't think we'll see it happen.

scottrichardson
Mar 23, 2012, 04:14 PM
I don't own the 2011 model personally, I have the 2010 one, so I am definitely looking to upgrade. This model has been an awesome bit of kit - the SSD makes up for the Core2Duo IMHO. I really would like 8GB RAM and a faster SSD next time. A HiDPI screen wouldn't go astray!

axu539
Mar 23, 2012, 04:17 PM
My biggest desire right now is a higher resolution screen. Everything else in the current Airs is quite amazing already. If those come to fruition, I will sell my 11" MBA (currently my only machine) and buy a new 13" for my only machine. If that doesn't happen, I'll probably just pick up a 15" Pro at the next refresh and stick with my dual-machine setup.

gentlefury
Mar 23, 2012, 04:29 PM
If they add USB 3 I might be tempted. Will have to see how much I could get for mine, if its worth the upgrade.

jojoba
Mar 23, 2012, 05:00 PM
No, I maxed out my 13" and I'm very happy with it. If a 15" arrives I might consider upgrading next time around, but I usually hold on to laptops for a bit longer.

Westone
Mar 24, 2012, 11:42 AM
I'll replace my 11" Air in 8 years whether it needs it or not.

alphaod
Mar 26, 2012, 03:19 AM
If the next model has a quad core processor, I'd consider an upgrade. Otherwise this current machine is working fine for me.

Stealthipad
Mar 26, 2012, 05:23 AM
I WILL! And I just bought my MBA 13. But if they have a i7 in the 15" flavor, do not stand in my way!

Willieo
Mar 29, 2012, 04:49 AM
If you are happy with your "old" one, just stay with it!

Mopar
Mar 31, 2012, 01:47 AM
Yes.

Loved my wife's 2010 13" MBA so much, I bought a 2011 11" MBA - which has been a little bit disappointing. Battery life is poor, the trackpad has had issues and I'm no fan of Lion.

So all I want from the next 11" MBA are the following:

* Longer battery life (better battery or Ivy Bridge CPU - or both)

* SIM card slot to connect directly to mobile networks (like the iPad)

* Better trackpad

Any of those would make me upgrade (especially battery life - the 13" already has phenomenal battery life, but not the 11").

Yggbert
Mar 31, 2012, 03:16 AM
Nope, really don't need improved CPU, GPU or RAM. Battery life is fine for me on the 13". I don't see myself upgrading this for a few years, I kinda like the idea of actually keeping a laptop for more than a year. I haven't done it before!

I'm more open to updating my tablet and phone yearly than a MacBook, although I kinda see myself sticking with the iPad 3 until the 5 comes out. As for the iPhone 5 then I'll probably keep that for two years too.

Jaro65
Mar 31, 2012, 11:30 AM
Will be upgrading 2010 MBA 11 and MBA 13 because I expect the 2012 MBA to offer 8 GB RAM. If I had a 2011 MBA, I wouldn't upgrade if the new MBA only offered a marginally improved processor performance and USB 3. I really hope Apple gives us more than just that.

Ayemerica
Mar 31, 2012, 11:31 AM
Yes, USB 3.0 is a big factor for me.

Xikum
Mar 31, 2012, 11:41 AM
I have a 2010 MBA (with only 2 GB RAM) but to be honest, it fits my needs fine. Sure, having the latest and greatest is always a nice feeling, but I would feel like I was throwing money at potential speeds that I will never reach (I only use my Air for travelling to and from University, writing essays, etc).

Would be nice, but an all too expensive luxury.

shadowjeff
Mar 31, 2012, 12:24 PM
If its a new screen or new design, i probably would switch.

Gator Bob
Mar 31, 2012, 12:45 PM
If:

Higher (retina?) resolution
8 GB RAM
USB 3.0
i7 1.8 or more
Then:

Yes
Else:

No

I feel exactly the same about upgrading from my 2011 maxed out 13" Air.

Sech
Mar 31, 2012, 01:18 PM
If the MacBook Pro 13in is released with discrete graphics then yes.

If the MacBook Air 11/13 have 8GB of RAM, then yes.

gbredneck
Mar 31, 2012, 01:36 PM
As said above, i've only had mine a couple of weeks, speedwise i cant tell a lot of difference from the 17 inch mbp they replaced.

Cant see me needing to upgrade at any time soon. These machines are blisteringly fast (even with 4gb ram).

So another no here.

dzigg
Mar 31, 2012, 01:39 PM
I'm really happy with mine. Two big factor would be the GPU for better gaming performance) and battery boost with a supposedly-more-efficient ivy bridge.

Also screen upgrade would be nice as well.. As far as RAM and SSD size, not a priority for me.

Smileyboy
Mar 31, 2012, 01:39 PM
Maybe, I may upgrade to a i7, if it also has UBS3, a SATA3 SSD and 6GB of RAM or more.

Other wise it's not really to much worth an upgrade for me.

I agree. I already have a 480gb ssd. If the resolution of screen and RAM is upgraded..... The yes

PaulNI
Mar 31, 2012, 02:54 PM
Yes.

Loved my wife's 2010 13" MBA so much, I bought a 2011 11" MBA - which has been a little bit disappointing. Battery life is poor, the trackpad has had issues and I'm no fan of Lion.

So all I want from the next 11" MBA are the following:

* Longer battery life (better battery or Ivy Bridge CPU - or both)

* SIM card slot to connect directly to mobile networks (like the iPad)

* Better trackpad

Any of those would make me upgrade (especially battery life - the 13" already has phenomenal battery life, but not the 11").

How long are you getting out of your 11"?

I'm getting around 3 hours, very dissapointed with the battery life

abz1981
Mar 31, 2012, 03:18 PM
am happy with mines as it meets my needs.

urkel
Mar 31, 2012, 04:28 PM
If you are happy with your "old" one, just stay with it!
That's the problem. I'm no longer infatuated with the 11" Air (low batt life, screen too small) so if I can sell it then I definitely want a 13". But then the dilemma becomes whether or not it's smart to buy a 2011 machine in 2012.

Anyway, the only things I want in a 2012 MBA is USB3, Retina (pending a battery that can handle it) and less bezel. if they don't give this stuff then I'll gladly buy a 2011 13" at a step clearance discount because those are fantastic computers.

Belm
Mar 31, 2012, 08:15 PM
I won't be selling this year. Maybe when the MBAs get Haswell. But I love my Air right now.

PaulNI
Apr 1, 2012, 03:59 AM
Anyway, the only things I want in a 2012 MBA is USB3, Retina (pending a battery that can handle it) and less bezel. if they don't give this stuff then I'll gladly buy a 2011 13" at a step clearance discount because those are fantastic computers.

What's the deal with Retina, how much better is the screen technology compared to the current Macbook Airs?

Mopar
Apr 1, 2012, 06:14 AM
How long are you getting out of your 11"?

I'm getting around 3 hours, very dissapointed with the battery life

That's pretty much what I get out of mine. Sometimes a little over three hours if I'm watching a movie loaded on to my SSD, but just surfing the net and doing nothing else I'm lucky to get three hours.

My wife's 2010 13.3" MBA, however, has great battery life - seven hours easy, no matter what you're doing. It's fast and has a nice screen, too.

I believe all the 2010 model MBAs have better battery life than the 2011 models - but that might have more to do with Lion vs Snow Leopard than the hardware.

The only reason I went for the 11" model is that it's easy to carry - it's not much bigger than an iPad - and has a nice keyboard. The screen's pretty good for it's size, also. Overall, it's the perfect size for an airline tray and hard to beat for those who travel or lug their laptop around frequently.

Ultimately, if you want a decent laptop you can carry around and use as your primary machine, I reckon the 13.3" is hard to beat. If you want something smaller than an A4 sheet of paper with plenty of power and more functionality than an iPad, get the 11.6" model.

n1tut
Apr 1, 2012, 09:20 AM
I have never posted on the "what is next" threads before, but it is time that my wife had a laptop, so I thought of giving her my basic 2010 11.6" which I love and I bought through my student daughter for 130 discount, and buying a 2011, again with the same discount. My reason would be for the backlit keyboard, and I suppose there is a bonus of the I5 and 4gb memory this time.

However though we can only go by rumours at this stage, I suppose it would make sense to wait and see what the so called refresh will offer if it is bought out by July.

tut

n1tut
Apr 1, 2012, 09:36 AM
As far as i can see, this could be the first year when Apple may have to play catch up in some respects.

With all these new Ultrabooks coming out which are mostly clone copies of the MBA, the goal posts have moved. Not interested in any of them, my 2010 was my first Mac and I would not go back, and I run windows alongside anyway for the two programs that I need. They all seem to have drawbacks in the touch pad and resolution stakes anyway, and are virtually the same price.

However as they are newer they have the latest features, Ivybridge, USB3, SSD size, none of which would make me change from my 2010, but I suspect that Apple will have to tread the same line, but hopefully also leap frog ahead again.

tut

Doc750
Apr 1, 2012, 09:43 AM
I find that people that upgrade every year, are the ones who didn't even need the current ones they have.

urkel
Apr 1, 2012, 09:49 AM
What's the deal with Retina, how much better is the screen technology compared to the current Macbook Airs?
I upgraded to a retina iPad and the difference is remarkable but not as "essential" as the iPad board would lead you to believe. To be honest, it leans more on hype than real world usage because in the end then you'll be able to see things "better" but won't necessarily be able to do anything "new". And if it comes with a huge battery hit then I can see it not being ready for this gen of MacBooks. But the reason I'm eager to see if it will exist is because it sucks to miss out on "new tech" because you couldn't wait a month longer.

mac26
Apr 1, 2012, 10:15 AM
A Macbook is a tool not a toy, it can last more than 1 year (unlike Windows crap ;) ) which is why I am waiting for Haswell or Broadwell

Jasmynsway
Apr 1, 2012, 10:46 AM
I'm pretty satisfied with my mid year 2010. I'm going to stick with it. I get a new iPad every gen so I won't be upgrading my MBA too.

PaulNI
Apr 1, 2012, 04:24 PM
I upgraded to a retina iPad and the difference is remarkable but not as "essential" as the iPad board would lead you to believe. To be honest, it leans more on hype than real world usage because in the end then you'll be able to see things "better" but won't necessarily be able to do anything "new". And if it comes with a huge battery hit then I can see it not being ready for this gen of MacBooks. But the reason I'm eager to see if it will exist is because it sucks to miss out on "new tech" because you couldn't wait a month longer.

Thanks mate!

The only reason I went for the 11" model is that it's easy to carry - it's not much bigger than an iPad - and has a nice keyboard. The screen's pretty good for it's size, also. Overall, it's the perfect size for an airline tray and hard to beat for those who travel or lug their laptop around frequently.

Ultimately, if you want a decent laptop you can carry around and use as your primary machine, I reckon the 13.3" is hard to beat. If you want something smaller than an A4 sheet of paper with plenty of power and more functionality than an iPad, get the 11.6" model.

I could not agree more, I went for the 11" i7 because I wanted the best spec 11" Macbook Air I could get but I feel it could also do with a faster SSD. No complaints about the current one but there are SSDs on the market that are 2/3 times faster.

Warhawk15
Apr 1, 2012, 05:14 PM
Pretty sure I'm just going to pay for apple care in October and pass this year.
It has been serving me very well, no need to upgrade.
I'm sure 2013 will be a lot better.

2IS
Apr 1, 2012, 07:00 PM
I've got a 2010 with LION and will not be upgrading until Haswell. I only really use my MBA when I'm working and don't need anything all too powerful for that. I do all the heavy stuff on a Windows 7 desktop and for casual browsing or reading, I prefer my 3rd gen iPad over the MBA.

appleguy123
Apr 1, 2012, 10:04 PM
Only if there's a 15" and I can sell my current machine for a great price, but most likely not.

njean777
Apr 1, 2012, 10:16 PM
I am just trying to get rid of my pro for an air, really regret not getting the macbook air 11in for school and carrying around.

amien
Apr 2, 2012, 02:58 AM
i'm not sure what to do, perhaps someone can advise.

I don't have a mac at all at this moment, but i'm really interessted in an Air. I also want to use it professionally. BUT i'm looking at this screen for like 6 hours a day and i wonder if that is big enough. Plus the 4GB might just be enough and 8GB would be sufficient.

i have 3 options:

1\ buy an air now and just see if it's workable
2\ wait for the 15" air/thin 15" pro. Perhaps coming this month, perhaps in the summer. It's unclear.
3\ Just buy them both :) i think the refresh of the 13" air will not happen in this summer and i can upgrade the 13" air later if really needed.

Redbull916
Apr 2, 2012, 03:25 AM
I also want to use it professionally. BUT i'm looking at this screen for like 6 hours a day and i wonder if that is big enough.

I'm a IT Technical Consultant and have replaced my Dell 830(1920x1200) with my i7 256gb 13" Air. Yes the resolution is smaller, but because the screen is also smaller it looks extremely clear and a pleasure to work on especialy with the scrolling gestures. I'm using it all day, 5 days a week. the biggest issue for me was the mac keyboard.
I've virtualised my Dell using Fusion, and the Virtual version works better then the real machine.

andothfc
Apr 2, 2012, 05:17 AM
I'll almost certainly be upgrading my 2011 13" assuming the new models have more RAM. Running Aperture or a few other memory hungry apps can soon eat up the 4GB and the machine starts crawling a bit.

I don't see there being a retina upgrade this year - the resolution on the Airs is already high compared to other laptops. The Pro models are in desperate need of a resolution bump so I would expect an upgrade in that line.

ZipZap
Apr 2, 2012, 03:31 PM
I might consider a 2010 to 2012 but it depends on what in the new release.
My must haves:
8gig Memory
256 to 512 SSD
Good graphics (hopefully fulfilled by ivy bridge)
USB 3 or thunderbolt USB 3 converter but prefer it built in.
Loose SD Card

MadMitch89
Apr 2, 2012, 04:52 PM
I'm thinking of doing a full upgrade, from 13" MBA and 27" iMac to a 15" MBP plus cinema display. All depends on how the updates go.

ET iPhone Home
Apr 2, 2012, 05:34 PM
Nah! I'm content with my Fall 2011 MBA. I don't do anything extensive to require an upgrade. I'm just happy to have gotten this MBA after suffering through an 8 year-old Sony Vaio. I ran and got so much mileage out of it. I plan to do the same with this MBA.

calvol
Apr 2, 2012, 05:54 PM
Have a 2010 13 MBA, and may pass on 2012 MBA and get 2012 MBP to use as a desktop in leiu of a Mini. Just bought a TBDisplay from a friend, so need to get either to use with the TBD, or sell it, and stick w/ the 2010/DellDisplay.

Yggbert
Apr 2, 2012, 07:05 PM
I only use my MBA for web browsing, im'ing, some word processing, light photo editing and work. There's literally nothing I stand to gain from a faster processor as I'll not notice the difference between Sandy and Ivy with this usage. A really high pixel density display would be nice, but I'm not going to run out and upgrade because of it. I'll probably keep this thing for at least 3 years still.

and of course they're hardly going to make this thing much thinner for a while. :)

ixodes
Apr 2, 2012, 08:01 PM
I will keep the 2011, till I have the 2012 in hand.

Once I've set it up and used it for at least a month, then and only then will I decide what the fate of the 2011 will be. If there's one thing I've learned about tech gear, newer is not always better.

Most of the time it is. But the one time it's not, I don't want to be caught out. Reverting back to what you have is a whole lot easier if you haven't sold it.

Beanoir
Apr 3, 2012, 02:09 PM
mine still works...so i think i'll keep it.

dborja
Apr 3, 2012, 03:09 PM
No. Mine meets my needs and I can't see anything that might make me upgrade at this time.

KohPhiPhi
Apr 3, 2012, 03:20 PM
I got the 2010 MBA 13", and I will replace it with the 2012 MBA 13" or MBP 13" (whatever comes out first) the very day they're released. The 2010 MBA 13" is the best laptop I've ever owned, but it's time to upgrade the C2D processor (even though it's always held itself magnificently).

urkel
Apr 5, 2012, 08:04 PM
I outgrew my infatuation with the 11" Air and sold it a few days ago. Since then I feel very liberated because I've now i get to watch the rumor-circus and got the funds to get whatever I want.

In my last few days of being back to a Mini I've noticed a few things:
1) My 2011 Mac Mini has faster specs except HDD but it "feels" twice as slow. I don't think I can ever go to spinning drives again which eliminates the upcoming Pro if they don't go to SSD.

2) My eyes felt fatigued ever since i got the 11", but now that its gone my eyes feel great For me, I love the 11" form factor but if they dont dump the bezel I'll have to get a bigger 13".

3) The iPad is awesome. I've been using it a lot for years but now that it's become my primary device then I'm loving it more and it justifies dumping the 11" because (for me) it's the perfect ultraportable.

I can't wait to see the 2012 offerings but I'm definitely not in a rush to get something new. My mini feels sluggish but coupled with an ipad 3 it's A good enough combo.

Old Smuggler
Apr 5, 2012, 08:45 PM
I dont think ill be upgrading anytime soon
I'm still enjoying the newness

Nikomanz
Apr 5, 2012, 11:04 PM
If it's a massive upgrade like macbook- macbook pro then yes.

If they just throw another chip with a fancy name, and bump up the resolution, I will be sticking with my current air.

lc25
Apr 6, 2012, 06:38 AM
Hard to say but i have an Ulti 11" and it does everything i want, with 3yr applecare i just can't see the point as it will easily last 3yrs.

sarah11918
Apr 10, 2012, 10:17 AM
I don't own the 2011 model personally, I have the 2010 one, so I am definitely looking to upgrade.

I'm in the same boat, especially since this is my primary/only computer.

I keep bumping up against the 128GB limit, even with all my photos relegated to an external hard drive (which I access frequently, so that's a bit of a pain when "working" on the couch). I'm hoping to be able to get 500+GB in the 2012 11"s. It's still probably worth an upgrade to 256GB for me, but adding back my photos is going to eat up a lot of that extra space. 500 or 512 would be good future-proofing for me.

On my wish list would be an SD card slot for the 11", but if not, it's no worse than what I have now.

Otherwise, I don't have any issue with the specs of the 2010, though I would gladly take more battery and it sounds like that's a given for 2012. It will also be nice to get my backlit keyboard back!

If I had a 2011 model, 256GB, then I probably wouldn't feel the need to upgrade. But with the 2010 as my only machine, I suspect the improvements are going to be worth it. I will wait and see before deciding, though. This 2010 is still in great shape, and an unimpressive upgrade could easily make me keep going on this machine for another year.

Assuming the better battery life is a given, then either one of a 5--GB SSD or an SD card slot in the 11' will absolutely push me over the edge. Both, and I won't be able to hand my money over quickly enough!

ritmomundo
Apr 10, 2012, 11:26 AM
My 2010 MBA with C2D, 128GC SSD, and 2GB RAM runs great still for my needs. Its still zippy fast and keeps up with whatever I throw at it. I might wait another couple years before upgrading it unless something amazing, or as Apple likes to say, "revolutionary," comes out.

Alvesang
Apr 10, 2012, 03:00 PM
My main machine is a 2010 13" MBP (8 GB RAM and 256 GB SSD) attached to a 24" cinema display, my secondary machine is the 2010 11" MBA (2 GB RAM and 128 GB SSD). The device I use the most is my iPad (now current generation).

Even though my Macs are all C2D I can't justify upgrading. They do everything I throw at them with ease. Having to deal with slightly longer rendering times in Final Cut doesn't make me want to get a new Mac either. I guess I'll be happy with my setup for a couple of years (gaming really isn't an issue anymore).

So no, I won't upgrade, 'cause even the "older" Macs are fun to use. Even though I have to admit that a 15" MBA seems like an awesome idea. ;)

Epic Xbox Revie
Apr 10, 2012, 03:15 PM
I'm not really sure what I'll do. I just got an iPad... But I also started gaming on my Air. And it's far from perfect. Not sure if it's the graphics cards' problem or something screwy with Bootcamp.

thestickman
Apr 10, 2012, 03:35 PM
I'll replace my 11" Air in 8 years whether it needs it or not.

Thinking 5 years here before I replace mine. Will do HD upgrade next year. Just awesome laptops these MBA's.

hawk1410
Apr 10, 2012, 04:02 PM
I just got mine last month and honestly i fell this will easily last me 2years. The only thing i dont like is 4gb ram, thats a big bottleneck. I have to keep an eye on activity monitor and see that i dont bog it own by using too much ram. Wish we could upgrade the ram.

Geekbabe
Apr 10, 2012, 04:56 PM
I have the 2011 13 inch MBA with 4GB memory & 128 SSD, it's only 4 months old. A lot will depend on what changes the refresh brings. I'd like a bigger SSD.