PDA

View Full Version : Updating to iOS 5.1 without computer

adddictedtomac
Mar 23, 2012, 09:52 AM
Many people do not know this, but you do not need a computer to update your iPod touch 3rd or 4rth Generation under iOS 5.

Here is a simple short video on how to:

http://youtu.be/JoFit-qnihM

Did anyone had trouble updating to iOS 5.1?

basesloaded190
Mar 23, 2012, 09:54 AM
Many people do not know this, but you do not need a computer to update your iPod touch 3rd or 4rth Generation under iOS 5.

Here is a simple short video on how to:

http://youtu.be/JoFit-qnihM

Did anyone had trouble updating to iOS 5.1?

I think many people about this. It was a key feature with the introduction on iOS 5.

LaWally
Mar 23, 2012, 10:09 AM
Many people know about this and many people do not. Not a bad reminder I guess for those who do not know or may have forgotten.

AppleDApp
Mar 23, 2012, 10:22 AM
Instead of going into settings then software update. I'd like to receive push notifications for new updates.

Yes this has been mentioned time and time again.

barredfreak
Mar 23, 2012, 10:45 AM
Instead of going into settings then software update. I'd like to receive push notifications for new updates.

Yes this has been mentioned time and time again.

If you are connected to a Wi-Fi network, your device should inform you of a new software update. It might take some time.

AppleDApp
Mar 23, 2012, 10:50 AM
It might take some time.

Too much time.

basesloaded190
Mar 23, 2012, 10:53 AM
Too much time.

Are you always in desperate need of a software update?

AppleDApp
Mar 23, 2012, 11:02 AM
Are you always in desperate need of a software update?

When it fixes annoying things like not being able to delete pictures from photo stream yes.

adddictedtomac
Mar 23, 2012, 11:32 AM
It also improved battery life!

MSlaw
Mar 23, 2012, 03:49 PM
Yeah it fixed my battery life all to hell.

Moonjumper
Mar 24, 2012, 11:35 AM
If you are connected to a Wi-Fi network, your device should inform you of a new software update. It might take some time.

I got the message that that an update was available on my iPhone. I presume Apple waited for the load on the servers to die down before notifying those who hadn't done it.

AppleDApp
Mar 24, 2012, 12:00 PM
I got the message that that an update was available on my iPhone. I presume Apple waited for the load on the servers to die down before notifying those who hadn't done it.

I'm all about trying to slam there servers

barredfreak
Mar 24, 2012, 10:02 PM

Yup. When it first came out, you couldn't even download it OTA for at least the first few hours. I managed to update my non-developer iPad, but only about 18 hours after iOS 5.1 was out.

NZed
Mar 27, 2012, 10:06 AM
I know youre trying to be helpful and like basesloaded said, its introduced as a new feature in iOS5