Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A tipster sends us this tale of a trip to the Fifth Avenue Apple Store last night.
Went to the Fifth Ave store near midnight today, and saw that Apple was setting up a separate line just to handle the volume of iPad returns from Chinese resellers. The manager kept the separate line to ensure that regular customer's experience wasn't affected. Some people were returning up to 30.
ipadreturnline.jpg

A number of organizations have written about the reseller phenomenon, including the New York Times:
They show up in the early-morning hours: Chinese men and women, waiting silently and somewhat nervously outside of Apple stores in New York. On some days the lines they form can be a block long.

These are not typical Apple fans. Instead they are participants in a complex and curious trade driven by China's demand for Apple's fashionable gadgets -- products that are made in China in the first place and exported, only to make the long trip back.
The resellers try to buy as many iPads as they can to resell them at a high margin, bit it seems that Apple has had success in fulfilling demand this time -- even selling more than enough iPads to the resellers. Apple Stores have a 14-day return policy, and it applies to all iPad purchasers.

Article Link: Lines of Resellers Returning New iPads at Fifth Avenue Apple Store

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Why did they buy them in the first place if they planned on returning them? Were they not able to take them back to China or something?

RDowson

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Wirelessly posted

If I was the manager I would refuse to refund them just for the lulz!

In the UK you don't have to refund something if there is nothing wrong with it. Many stores have a 14 day return policy. But that's all it is, a policy. Managers can and sometimes will overrule it.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Wirelessly posted

In the UK you don't have to refund something if there is nothing wrong with it. Many stores have a 14 day return policy. But that's all it is, a policy. Managers can and sometimes will overrule it.

Why do they have the policy in place then? Is there a fine print saying that they have the right to refuse to return the money back to the customer if there is nothing wrong with the product? I've never had a problem like this in Ireland (The Republic) but then again I've never done what these chinese resellers are doing.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
Wirelessly posted

Is that a law?

I find that kind of ridiculous.

Sykotic

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2009
Why did they buy them in the first place if they planned on returning them? Were they not able to take them back to China or something?

I imagine it's because there's more than enough supply available. They aren't able to demand a mark-up on them that offsets all the expenses they incur.

FNi

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2011
...and that's what you get for doubting Tim Cook's mad skills at locking down a supply chain.

RDowson

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Wirelessly posted

3bs said:
Wirelessly posted

Why do they have the policy in place then? Is there a fine print saying that they have the right to refuse to return the money back to the customer if there is nothing wrong with the product? I've never had a problem like this in Ireland (The Republic) but then again I've never done what these chinese resellers are doing.

I wasn't meaning Apple stores. I meant retail in general. They usually have the policy for good customer service.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
They could have a 5 item return limit per day.

something to still accept them but make it a pain to do.
Track based on Driver's License or ID like Best Buy and pharmacies who can only sell X amount of allergy stuff.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Wirelessly posted

I wasn't meaning Apple stores. I meant retail in general. They usually have the policy for good customer service.

Yeah I didn't mean Apple stores specifically either since we don't have any here. I still don't get why they would refuse to give you your money back if you bring it back in time and in the same condition you bought it.

TimeArrow

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2011
Wirelessly posted

The China custom charge a higher import tax, as high as 130-140$. No surprise that they came to return. But surprised that those returners are young and pretty.

Kirsten Hollerd

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2011
I have a friend that works at an Apple Store and he said that they were dealing with unscrupulous resellers who returned shrink wrapped "New iPads" that actually had iPad 2's inside. Crazy.

McCarron

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2006
While the article and tipster said "new iPads" I am just guessing but these are likely brand new iPad 2s being returned (or exchanged for iPad 3?) that were purchased before the new model came out. That makes sense.

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
I don't get it - is there a profit being made by the resellers here?

cshsia

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2011
New York, NY
While the article and tipster said "new iPads" I am just guessing but these are likely brand new iPad 2s being returned (or exchanged for iPad 3?) that were purchased before the new model came out. That makes sense.

I'm the tipster :) The returns were all new iPads. Most of them barely spoke English.

----------

If you look at eBay, after fees (ebay/paypal) and shipping, there's no profit to be made at all reselling iPads online.

Plus, Apple launched in HK on the same day, essentially shutting down demand for grey market export to HK.

These folks are just getting their working capital back. 30 ipads is a lot of cash committed.

----------

Wirelessly posted

The China custom charge a higher import tax, as high as 130-140$. No surprise that they came to return. But surprised that those returners are young and pretty.

Young yes..... pretty.... well....

waynelee1981

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2012

they are not popular as ipad 2 in China, the new i pad 4g 64gb only selling for 6000 yuan which around $952, ipad 2 3g 64gb was selling 9000yuan years ago

perealb

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2009
Awesome. I wish there was a solution efficient like that for concert ticket scalpers.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Wirelessly posted

RamboRab said:
Wirelessly posted

In the UK the Apple store has to refund your purchase within 14 days as thier policy stands . No the manager has no choice unless the goods are damaged.

For all online says all items can be returned within 14 days. That is all retailers.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Wirelessly posted

The poster is wrong. Per apple policy thy have to refund.

And all online says have a 14 day return policy for all retailers.

gglockner

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2007
Bellevue, WA
Apple tries to offer a premium experience with their products. These exporters can't offer an Apple-style buying experience, so it's in Apple's best interest to reduce the opportunities for the resellers. Worse, since some may be trying to scam Apple by returning an empty box, it would be reasonable for Apple to delay refund until they have inspected the returned items.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.