Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kamil.amersi

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 24, 2010
Hi all,

i am in a bit of a dilemma; i was looking at a new MBP but i heard that there may be a new one released pretty soon with the Ivy Bridge, do you think i should buy it now or hold off until the new one will be released? is it likely to be a significant upgrade or just a spec bump?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Please use a search, this question has been asked a thousand times.

To summarize, if you can wait, then wait. If you need one now, buy one now.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
Please use a search, this question has been asked a thousand times.

To summarize, if you can wait, then wait. If you need one now, buy one now.

But remember, if you wait for a new one, there will be another new one coming. Might want to wait again :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
But remember, if you wait for a new one, there will be another new one coming. Might want to wait again :)

Of course but you're waiting for about a year at that point, where is if you wait for the Ivy Bridge model, we're talking mere months ;)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
And maybe not even that, be optimistic, damnit! :p

I'm a moderator, I've been ground down to complete cynicism :p

in all honesty it would be great if we see an Ivy Bridge refresh sooner then later. I've been waiting since Christmas. While my trusty 2010 13" MBP is handling what I throw at it. I'd like a bit more performance and a larger screen, i.e., 15" MBP. My thinking is why spend over 2K on a chipset (sandy bridge) that will get replaced shortly, since I have no immediate need for a replacement.

mbamed

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2012
The best course of action, if you need one now, is to buy a used one to hold you over, then resell shortly before you buy the new one.

idunn

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2008
Do wait

Chances are the new MBP will be a significant upgrade, not, as with the last several iterations, more a spec bump.

As they should be released soon, by most every criteria it would be advisable to delay a purchase until then. Unless one wishes a new MBP with an internal optical drive (which the new models will probably no longer have), and even then one should wait, as the current models will cost less once new models are released.

If needing the computer now, it would surely be advisable to purchase something used. Buying that new today, and selling it on in a few months time, includes a decided price penalty for that privilege. A used MBP, particularly those refurbished by Apple, will be perfectly serviceable, and someone else will have paid the price of walking it off the new car lot.

In reading some of the related threads on this forum, you are sure to learn of the anticipated advantages of the upcoming MBPs, including: Ivy Bridge processors, more speed, likely better GPU, the advantages derived from no optical drive, and not least a good chance for a stylish new case redesign, more like the current MacBook Air. Screen resolution may also increase, as well as other looked for improvements.

Why would one want to pass on that? And, if so, then in not opting for sound savings with that used, but otherwise just fine?

Ferny84

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2011
"If you need it now, you buy it. If you don't, then wait. "

That should be Apples motto.

Digidesign

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2002
Quad core Mobiles due to be released April 29. Intel just announced today.

Any ideas on how April 29th affects the MBP refresh date? Does Apple wait until the chips are available to the public before releasing their new systems?

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
Quad core Mobiles due to be released April 29. Intel just announced today.

Do you have any references to this other than the rumor sites (not questioning your information, I have just been trying to verify this since I read it earlier)? I read this earlier today and have been unable to find an "official" press release stating it? Nothing on Intel's site either. Hoping it is true (if for nothing else, it will stop the should I buy now posts).

kathryn27

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2012
Any ideas on how April 29th affects the MBP refresh date? Does Apple wait until the chips are available to the public before releasing their new systems?

Good question! I just bought a refurb high-end 13" MBP, but it was a really good deal. Now I may be peeved if the prices drop in a month :( But I was silly and became aware of this forum after I had already ordered.

On the one hand, the current MPB model is reliable and and has proven its success, so I think either way you're fine.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
Do you have any references to this other than the rumor sites (not questioning your information, I have just been trying to verify this since I read it earlier)? I read this earlier today and have been unable to find an "official" press release stating it? Nothing on Intel's site either. Hoping it is true (if for nothing else, it will stop the should I buy now posts).

This work for you? Industry site reference with all specs.

http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2012/2012032702_Revised_Ivy_Bridge_launch_schedule_confirmed.html

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
I saw that, but was really hoping for an official Intel statement, as that is what all of the rumor sites are saying. They all state iIntel announced today but all point to the same article that only states it will be announced on April 8 and no mention of an official Intel announcement recently.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
I saw that, but was really hoping for an official Intel statement, as that is what all of the rumor sites are saying. They all state iIntel announced today but all point to the same article that only states it will be announced on April 8 and no mention of an official Intel announcement recently.

There's an internal PDF, I can't post it due to NDA problems.. I rather like my job :)

But I can say that it would be probably correct to say that info matches the PDF verbatim.

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
Thanks for the info, and I am not asking for anyone to break an NDA. It is just if Intel did in fact officially announce today it would be public. So technically there was no "official" announcement yet, then, correct?

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
Thanks for the info, and I am not asking for anyone to break an NDA. It is just if Intel did in fact officially announce today it would be public. So technically there was no "official" announcement yet, then, correct?

Absolutely correct. It was a leaked internal document that was distributed to the hands of manufacturers and a small number of media outlets. All of which were under NDA agreement that I'm aware of.

Think of it as a memo to their partners updating them with timelines but destined for the manufacturing channel rather than the media (ie: NOT a press release)

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
Absolutely correct. It was a leaked internal document that was distributed to the hands of manufacturers and a small number of media outlets. All of which were under NDA agreement that I'm aware of.

Think of it as a memo to their partners updating them with timelines but destined for the manufacturing channel rather than the media (ie: NOT a press release)
I thought Ivy Bridge was due out on the 8th of April (which would of been next Sunday)

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
You should have done a search for threads on the topic. Just searching "buy or wait" brings up several pages in 2012 alone. No one can offer you precise information on release dates. The other stuff has been discussed in great detail already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.