PDA

View Full Version : Who owns both an iPad and MBA?

nStyle
Mar 28, 2012, 02:02 PM
I currently have the iPad 3 and have had a MBP in the past. I find that I am missing the power and capability that the MBP provided.

The iPad obviously serves its purpose: extremely lightweight, amazing screen, consumption.

I'm just curious who else here feels the same and, as a result, owns both for the two different purposes they offer.

iPad + keyboard just isn't an option. Sure, I'd have a clunky keyboard that I can hardly use anywhere but a desk, but I'd still be limited in what it can do: functionality.

heisenberg123
Mar 28, 2012, 02:09 PM
I currently have the iPad 3 and have had a MBP in the past. I find that I am missing the power and capability that the MBP provided.

The iPad obviously serves its purpose: extremely lightweight, amazing screen, consumption.

I'm just curious who else here feels the same and, as a result, owns both for the two different purposes they offer.

iPad + keyboard just isn't an option. Sure, I'd have a clunky keyboard that I can hardly use anywhere but a desk, but I'd still be limited in what it can do: functionality.

i agree depending on your needs an iPad can or cannot do it all for you

Macman45
Mar 28, 2012, 02:12 PM
I have both, and an MBP...The Air and the iPad do compliment one an other.

MacDawg
Mar 28, 2012, 02:14 PM
I have a MBP, MBA and the new iPad
(and an iPhone)

I love what all of them bring in unique functionality
I use each for different purposes (although my older MBP doesn't get much use)

I love traveling with my MBA/iPad combo
I also use Win7 with VMware Fusion

I wouldn't want to part with any of my devices

BasilFawlty
Mar 28, 2012, 02:18 PM
I don't have an iPad (yet) but I did earn my MBA :rolleyes:

GoCubsGo
Mar 28, 2012, 02:19 PM
i don't have an ipad (yet) but i did earn my mba :rolleyes:

^5 :d

KylePowers
Mar 28, 2012, 02:35 PM
I went from a 2011 11in MBA to a 2011 13in MBA + 2012 iPad. More costly, sure, but more fun :p

Confuzzzed
Mar 28, 2012, 02:36 PM
I have both. And a desk top. Each has it's uses BUT since I purchased a BT keyboard for the iPad, I find myself taking the MBA on the road with me less and less. It's only when I know I will need excel that I take the MBA with me. For everything else I use iWork and iPad

Jaro65
Mar 28, 2012, 02:41 PM
I have both, as I also believe that they complement one another quite well. I like reading on the iPad and it is the first thing I reach after in the morning.

Lurchdubious
Mar 28, 2012, 02:47 PM
I have both and love both. I could live without my iPad if I had to, but the iPad is a little more fun to use.

grabbyg
Mar 28, 2012, 03:58 PM
As many have said, I own MBA, iPad, and iPhone. I do find that each of these play a very unique role in my Apple arsenal. I also find them all light enough to carry all 3 if need be.

Macman45
Mar 28, 2012, 04:02 PM
As many have said, I own MBA, iPad, and iPhone. I do find that each of these play a very unique role in my Apple arsenal. I also find them all light enough to carry all 3 if need be.

Yep, I have one of those XL City Messenger cases, into which will fit, my MBP17" MBA 13" iPad and magsafe chargers, Mice et al. It's rare I carry the Pro around if I can avoid it....My arms are getting too long from the strain..:D

M-5
Mar 28, 2012, 05:39 PM
I originally had a MBP and an iPad 2, but I sold my iPad 2 after a few months since I couldn't justify the price of it for how little I needed it. I felt like I could already do too many things with my iPhone, and I didn't' like how slow websites loaded on the iPad when compared to a laptop. I guess I just didn't like that you can't have several windows open side by side on an iPad.

So I sold my iPad and MBP and upgraded to a MBA. This has seemed to work great for me. The only thing I miss is being able to read PDFs have ebooks on the iPad, since those are better reading experiences than on the Air.

DenniZ
Mar 28, 2012, 06:57 PM
I had the old first gen MBA, then got a iPad (1st gen), didn't see much point in the iPad since the mba was small enough, now ended up using 11 inch MBA as main computer, and I'm happy with it. Really dislike having to see ads on safari browser for iPad, miss adblock, well their are alternatives to the iOS browsers but they are quite weird and are a bit harder to use.

Pharmscott
Mar 28, 2012, 08:45 PM
MBA and iPad-3 here. MBA is better for email unless you're just browsing/deleting. App store games are way better (or more prevalent actually) on the iPad.

gentlefury
Mar 28, 2012, 10:06 PM
There wasn't a choice for iPad + MBA, rarely touch iPad since getting MBA.

bcaslis
Mar 28, 2012, 11:32 PM
Two different devices for different purposes. Both have their place.

gentlefury
Mar 28, 2012, 11:43 PM
Two different devices for different purposes. Both have their place.

I couldn't disagree more.

ixodes
Mar 28, 2012, 11:51 PM
OK, true confessions, I'm a total MBP, MBA, iPad & iPhone Addict.

I thrive on choices, variety, and the pleasure of using OS X / iOS daily. Employing my Macs for both work & personal I'd get awfully bored with just one or two.

Fortunately I have the resources to fulfill my desires, therefore I own 17" & 15" MBP's, 13" & 11" MBA's on the OS X side. Then there's my iPads 2 & 3, as well as iPhones 4 & 4S.

The answer to the question? They all get a lot of use, none are ignored or just sitting gathering dust. I do a very wide variety of engineering work with the MBP's, the MBA's are traveling companions, as are the iPads.

I have no desire to use an iPad as a laptop replacement since the nature of my work is simply too complex. The highest & best use of my iPad, is a device to relax and surf the web with.

hrl
Mar 29, 2012, 02:17 AM

I have MBP, MBA, and iPad.

I find them serve different purposes. MBA is what I use for work. MBP for my creative needs (photos, videos, website design, iTunes,...). iPad is my bedside companion.

bcaslis
Mar 29, 2012, 09:24 AM
I couldn't disagree more.

So someone can't have both a MBA and an iPad? Sorry, didn't know you were in charge, you should let Apple know right away! :rolleyes:

urkel
Mar 29, 2012, 09:49 AM
IPad and MBA11". But I'm selling my 11" in favor of a 13 because with the iPhone, iPad and 11" then its a bit redundant.

2IS
Mar 29, 2012, 10:16 AM
I've got both. I use the iPad a lot when I'm on the couch watching TV or laying in bed. Read news articles, sports columns, social networking, a game every once in a while, reading/replying to emails.

I use my MBA when I need to get real work done.

gentlefury
Mar 29, 2012, 12:40 PM
So someone can't have both a MBA and an iPad? Sorry, didn't know you were in charge, you should let Apple know right away! :rolleyes:

I have both, and I don't see them as two completely different things. The iPad is just a neutered version of a mac. I use it occasionally on the couch when I just want to look something up really fast. But for 90% of things it's kinda of a hassle to use and I would rather use my MBA. iPad is also good to watch movies on a long flight.

Stein357
Mar 29, 2012, 01:40 PM
I have both, and a Windows computer that I built for games. It's speed really spoils me, so when the IB MBP drops, I'm going to upgrade to a 15"/17 for when I need the power, and my iPad is great for everything else.

bcaslis
Mar 29, 2012, 01:49 PM
The iPad is just a neutered version of a mac.

Most bizarre statement I've seen outside the iPad forum. Remove the keyboard and all connections, change the interface to touch, and run completely different apps with enforced sandboxing.

Yup, just like a Mac. :rolleyes:

citivolus
Mar 29, 2012, 02:17 PM
I have both, but I wouldn't necessarily say they complement each other. They have different use cases but also when they overlap, one tends to be better than the other. For example, when I'm in the car or on the train, I pull out the iPad. If I know I have to do a lot of work, I take the MBA with me. Pretty typical response I would think.

robvas
Mar 29, 2012, 03:02 PM
I have both but almost never use the iPad.

DDustiNN
Mar 29, 2012, 03:07 PM
There wasn't a choice for iPad + MBA, rarely touch iPad since getting MBA.

Yeah, I feel like the poll was a little biased on that one. The whole bit about them complimenting each other was pretty unnecessary.

Ever since getting my MacBook Air, I feel like my iPad is nearly useless.

For random web browsing on-the-go, I'd rather use my iPhone since it's always with me.
Same with games - I'd rather not carry around the iPad if I don't need to, if I can just play a quick game here and there on my iPhone.
For more "serious" web browsing (multiple pages, research, etc), the MBA is of course the better choice.
For note-taking, I'll stick with the MBA now since I can type much faster than I can write (previously used iPad + stylus in class).
Productivity obviously goes to the MBA as well, hands down.
For reading, I prefer my Kindle Touch as it's much smaller, lighter, and less strain on my eyes.
So, with a MacBook Air, iPhone 4, Kindle Touch... I just have no reason to ever use my iPad.

I don't get the "it's just fun to use" line, either. What is "fun"? Flicking through your home screens or something? It's the same as the iPhone. Even the MBA has amazing multi-touch gestures which really enhance the experience. I just see no reason to use the iPad over the others.

So does my iPad compliment my MBA by sitting idle and doing nothing...? I would certainly like for it to be useful for something, but it just seems like I never need it...

bogatyr
Mar 29, 2012, 03:47 PM
I have both but the iPad will never be more than a glorified PDF reader until they have a good handwriting app with search function. Something similar to what Microsoft envisioned by cut a couple years ago.

My MBA does everything the iPad does but better... except for reading PDF/eBooks.

I tried using my iPad for a month or two as my sole computer platform. Used the logitech keyboard/case. I spent most of my time SSH'd into a workstation or using remote desktop to do real work. Add in the fact that a touch screen sucks for keyboard use (i.e. leaning in to interact with the GUI is annoying) and you have a terrible creation tool.

Stylus/Writing support is CRITICAL for input. I know the iPad has some options out there, but I've tried dozens and they all suck. If Microsoft ports a copy of OneNote with handwriting support that mirrors their Windows tablet support... I'd be sold.

bcaslis
Mar 29, 2012, 03:55 PM
I have both but the iPad will never be more than a glorified PDF reader until they have a good handwriting app with search function. ...

Handwriting is the slowest input method ever invented.

- Steve Jobs

Yeah, just what I want, an iPad that needs a stylus for input. :eek:

bogatyr
Mar 29, 2012, 04:16 PM
Handwriting is the slowest input method ever invented.

- Steve Jobs

Yeah, just what I want, an iPad that needs a stylus for input. :eek:

Needs? No. Able to? Yes.

What good is a tablet that you can't write on for notes in meetings? Last I checked, if I need a keyboard to write notes on my iPad, an Air is the same size and has more function and a mouse.

The reason I bring up the mouse is when you have the iPad in a keyboard tray, you have to lean in to do any clicking but with a mouse you're not constantly leaning in to click items.

raphaeltecsonmd
Mar 29, 2012, 04:43 PM
i own a MBA 11", iPad 3 and iPhone 4s. I find them very usefule in their own unique way... or I may be just an Apple addict! :D

Matthew9559
Mar 29, 2012, 04:57 PM
I have a MBA, Windows 7 Desktop, iPhone 4, and a 1st gen iPad.

To me, each one has a unique purpose.

MBA - General device for when I need to type something more than a paragraph or lots of tabs open at once.

Desktop - Gaming, Software Development, and converting videos.

iPhone 4 - Always with me, great for quick google searches, apps, and time waster with games.

iPad - My usual couch/bed device for browsing web/reading books/email.

I don't feel like its overkill because each device services a distinct purpose for me. The only overlap, if there was one, would be the iPhone/iPad in my case. I tend to use the iPad for couch surfing and quick google searches. Obviously the iPhone is more important because it's my phone but for what I use it for most the time there is some overlap between those two devices. I build a new desktop around every 4 years and make one or two upgrades (not always) in that stretch of time. Usually a new GPU, more ram or something to keep it speedy. I am the type of person who is okay with Medium settings on my favorite games at native res. I do not need every single graphics option turned to max or else I would spend a lot of money. ;)

To me, the iPad/MBA serve very different purposes and there is a lot that each devices does better than the other. The only real similarity I have between them is the portability. Both are extremely light and can be brought to places easily.

gdeputy
Mar 29, 2012, 10:31 PM
I have iMac, MBA, iPad and iPhone.

bcaslis
Mar 29, 2012, 11:54 PM
The reason I bring up the mouse is when you have the iPad in a keyboard tray, you have to lean in to do any clicking but with a mouse you're not constantly leaning in to click items.

I have no idea what you are trying to get at with a mouse, but I can take perfectly fine notes with the iPad onscreen keyboard. Any stylus is way way slower, and unless you are typing a novel I don't need a physical keyboard for this.

The point is those dismissing the iPad simply because it doesn't have the same input as a Mac are missing the point. The question isn't does one replace the other, the question is do you have both? And the poll clearly shows a majority do. They are both good at certain things. Some apps on the iPad are way better than anything on the Mac. But there are tasks that are better on the Mac.

tecknik1
Mar 30, 2012, 12:14 AM
I have both the MacAir 4.2 and Ipad2 and yes they both have their strengths and compliment each other.

I also travel with both and for quick surfing and checking emails the ipad2 is the weapon of choice and the perfect toilet toy

For office and serious typing chore the Air is the way to go .

j.dstasio
Mar 30, 2012, 12:23 AM
I used to have a MBP, a 1st gen iPad, and an iPhone. I used my iPhone far more than either the MBP or the iPad. Once I got an iPhone 4, I pretty much quit using the iPad completely because I suddenly hated the screen. After a while I got tired of the weight of the MBP and sold it and bought a MBA. I found I used it a lot more and it cut down on how much I used my iPhone. Now that the new iPad came out, I find I use the three devices about equally.

iPhone - Usually the only device I leave home with. Great for quick things while I'm out & about: Email, texting, looking up movie times, or directions to a restaurant.
iPad- similar tasks as the iPhone but where a bigger screen is handy. Used for light work like reading or editing PDFs, great for composing long emails. Watching movies on the train/ plane, killing time at the airport waiting for a flight.
MBA- A great computer for working on the road. My MBP was overkill for what I used it for. The MBA travels well and does everything my MBP did with a fraction of the weight.

The Catalyst
Mar 30, 2012, 12:50 AM
I own both. The MBA takes up ~80% of my online time.

KohPhiPhi
Mar 30, 2012, 04:15 AM
I have a MBA 13 and an iPhone 4. I've been looking to get the new iPad but, quite frankly, I cant justify the purchase. I just cannot find any use I'd make of it. Surfing the net off the couch? The MBA is so light that does that just fine. On the go? I'd rather take the iPhone in my pocket.

I dunno, I cannot find any real use for the iPad that the MBA+iPhone combo can't do.

bogatyr
Mar 30, 2012, 06:44 AM
I have no idea what you are trying to get at with a mouse, but I can take perfectly fine notes with the iPad onscreen keyboard. Any stylus is way way slower, and unless you are typing a novel I don't need a physical keyboard for this.
To do real input, I need a keyboard. I type a lot, it's part of content creation - and notes. Using the keyboard puts me at a distance from the iPad that in order to touch it with my finger to click on something I have to be hunched over (bad posture move) it or I have to reach in constantly. Both terrible for your back. So that is why I feel it is a terrible item for typing with and therefore terrible with content creation.

Now if it supported writing, I could write on it like a notepad in a meeting. Removing the keyboard and posture issues.

The point is those dismissing the iPad simply because it doesn't have the same input as a Mac are missing the point. The question isn't does one replace the other, the question is do you have both? And the poll clearly shows a majority do. They are both good at certain things. Some apps on the iPad are way better than anything on the Mac. But there are tasks that are better on the Mac.
I have both. There was no option for having both but finding the iPad fairly useless now. So I chose the only option with both which is what others in my situation may have done as well. The poll is very incomplete.

glen e
Mar 30, 2012, 07:45 AM
I write my Keynote presentations on my mac air, I present them with a projector with no power supply on a pad. Makes traveling so much nicer with a slim ipad vs the power brick and the mac air. The two compliment each other for me so well..just because in your world you fine the ipad "useless" does not mean it is, many of experience different. Try standing at a job site going over a blueprint plan PDF with a crew using a MBA and passing it around.... or in a airline cockpit passing a MBA around...

This argument has been going on here for years....Usually the writer that issues the edict that the ipad is "useless" is writing from a dorm room....LOL

bogatyr
Mar 30, 2012, 08:13 AM
just because in your world you fine the ipad "useless" does not mean it is, many of experience different. Try standing at a job site going over a blueprint plan PDF with a crew using a MBA and passing it around.... or in a airline cockpit passing a MBA around...
Actually, if you read my original post you'll see that I use it for PDFs and reading materials. That is the one thing it excels at. I also said nothing about consumption of content (i.e. presenting). My negative marks are all centered around content creation.

This argument has been going on here for years....Usually the writer that issues the edict that the ipad is "useless" is writing from a dorm room....LOL
You shouldn't presume to know who someone, that you don't know, is. My opinion is based on my real world usage at the company I work for.

ThisOneHere
Mar 30, 2012, 08:26 AM

I have an iPad 3 and an i7 MacBook Air. Before that I always had the 15" MacBook Pro iterations. I then transitioned to an Air after realizing I really don't play games or do anything intensive on the Pro, plus the Air was cheaper and came with an SSD. Pair it with the i7 and I honestly haven't noticed a day to day performance difference compared to the Pro. I routintely use photoshop, do web design, check email, do online shopping, etc from the Air and I love it.

That said, I use my iPad for quick stuff, and more entertainment like watching Hulu, HBO Plus, streaming movies, and for the occassional video games.

The way I use them, I feel they complement each other. I would like to ditch the Air one day, but until I can browse ALL websites (including the dreaded Flash enabled ones) and use Photoshop in an efficient manner (not probable on a 9.7" display), and be able to make changes to my websites, I'll have to keep it. In fact I hope they release a 15" Air so the two devices can complement each other even more.

glen e
Mar 30, 2012, 09:03 AM
To do real input, I need a keyboard. I type a lot, it's part of content creation - and notes. Using the keyboard puts me at a distance from the iPad that in order to touch it with my finger to click on something I have to be hunched over (bad posture move) it or I have to reach in constantly. Both terrible for your back. So that is why I feel it is a terrible item for typing with and therefore terrible with content creation.

Now if it supported writing, I could write on it like a notepad in a meeting. Removing the keyboard and posture issues.

I have both. There was no option for having both but finding the iPad fairly useless now. So I chose the only option with both which is what others in my situation may have done as well. The poll is very incomplete.

my comments are directed at this thread in general, as many comment on how superior one is over the other, and that is total hogwash...
relax......

mj1108
Mar 30, 2012, 09:46 AM
(#100!)

I have both a 2011 MBA and an iPad 3 and they do compliment each other really well. VERY happy with both. :D

Springroll
Mar 30, 2012, 10:34 AM
I have both as they scratch different itches so to speak.
I use the iPad when commuting and when lying in bed and in the bathroom... Macbook Air for more serious work...:rolleyes:

urkel
Mar 30, 2012, 11:58 AM
my comments are directed at this thread in general, as many comment on how superior one is over the other, and that is total hogwash...
relax......
Where exactly are you seeing these "many" (any?) people claiming superiority of the iPad? If your comments are directed at THIS THREAD then why not quote the people who are upsetting you because this thread seems pretty level headed.

Hamburger
Mar 30, 2012, 01:29 PM
iPad1 and 11" MBA late 2010 here. MBA has more or less become a desktop hooked up to 24" ACD and is rarely used as a laptop these days. But I am still happy that I have the laptop option when I need it. iPad is in daily use for reading the paper, email, Facebook, browsing etc...

Bye Bye Baby
Mar 30, 2012, 01:59 PM
I have both, but I don't know if they actually compliment one another.

They are somewhat independent in my experience.That is, I do very different things (with a good bit of overlap- email, internet etc) with each one.

spriter
Mar 30, 2012, 02:17 PM
They are somewhat independent in my experience.

Agreed.

I won't have another notebook that's heavier than an MBA 13" for portability reasons whilst retaining functions of a notebook. And I won't have a tablet with a screen inferior to the new iPad.

I'd say my usage is split more-or-less to: MBA - producing, new iPad - consuming.

Both fantastically portable which is the key for my needs and both combined cover all situations.

JSadler
Mar 30, 2012, 02:30 PM
Both please! You can never have too many "gadgets" around the house.

jvmxtra
Mar 30, 2012, 03:58 PM
I don't see how iPad can replace mba 13 inch.
No one can possibly do any serious work for long period of time on 9.7 inch screen.

I also don't see how mba any size can truly replace iPad(osx doesn't have the sheer amount of convenient apps..

Therefore, if you have the money, go for both.

Alphaforcex
Mar 30, 2012, 07:18 PM
I have both and in fact, I have all 3 generations of iPads. I know I need a bigger iPhone the moment I used the original one so I bought the original iPad when it first came out. I use the MBA mainly for programming so I really hope one day I can get rid of the MBA and use the iPad only. So yes, I will only keep the iPad if I can only keep one :)

Yggbert
Mar 31, 2012, 12:19 AM
I was going to sell my MBA 2011 13" for my iPad 3 32GB, but after getting a pretty disappointing price I decided to keep it. Now I'm quite glad I did as I'm going to try my hand at iOS development. In addition to these two I have a gaming PC which gets used the most and does all the heavy lifting, I have a Nexus S phone at the moment so I'm pretty well covered on all bases.

It was hard to justify my MBA before, but since I might go to college and thinking of the iOS development stuff then it's probably a good idea I still have it. Just in case, also if I get a job in the IT world then having a 'real' laptop would probably be handy then too.

Now my iPad is my computer of choice for bed/sofa surfing and is brought to weekend trips at my girlfriends. The MacBook is my primary study machine (Japanese learner) and will also be used if I think I'll be doing a lot of forum surfing/talking.

Planning to switch back to iPhone this year too because the idea of having my MBA, iPad and iPhone all in sync seems great. Mountain Lion sounds appealing to me now. I only wish they'd add Chrome bookmark syncing to iCloud, but to be honest that's not really a big deal at all. I just manually import things to Safari whenever I add a lot of bookmarks, and then my iPad picks them up from there instead, little bit janky but it works. :)

jojoba
Mar 31, 2012, 03:47 AM
My iPad serves all my day to day portability needs. I find it superior to my MBA due to the combination of long battery life, 3G and touch screen/stylus input. I have a LogiTech keyboard which doubles as a case, which I bring with me if I think I'll need it. I've used my IPad to go paperless in my office. I use it as a virtual notebook, and the opportunity to use a stylus makes it better for that purpose than my MBA IMO. I also use my iPad to read and annotate PDFs, which is something I do almost every day for work. I find it much more comfortable to use as an e-reader than a laptop, and again a stylus makes annotating PDFs more practical than with my MBA. With my iPad I can easily carry my whole research library with me. I also often go to seminars etc where I'm not guaranteed wireless access so with 3G I don't have to worry about that.

I use my MBA for more heavy duty work/ content production, and I always bring it with me if I travel for more than a day or two. I often use both at the same time when I'm at the office.

For me, they complement each other very well.

Knisse
Mar 31, 2012, 06:21 AM
Only have a MBP for now(old old MBP), i am going to purchase a MBA once the new line arrive (if it suits my needs)

I would rather spend a little more on a MBA than buying iPad+MBA. Perhaps it is because i have never tried an iPad, but to me the iPad just seems like a toy for now...

jclardy
Mar 31, 2012, 09:15 AM
I have both an 11" air and iPad. I am a developer so the iPad's main purpose is testing apps on actual hardware.

But I found the two do compliment each other, while still overlapping in some areas. If there is a long article I want to read, I send it over to the iPad. Pretty much anything involving reading goes to the iPad. If I find a video I typically play it via the iPad as it actually handles 1080P content better than my Air most of the time. (Plus it can actually display it all.) Anything involving typing is on the Mac. So essentially, most work stuff I do on the Mac, most recreational computing is done on the iPad. With the exception of email, which I like to do on the iPad for some reason.

I do sometimes use the iPad as an external monitor for my Air which works well, as the screen sizes are very similar. So you have an ultra portable dual screen setup.

At some point in the future I am going to compliment them with a 27" iMac. While the Air is great, sometimes I just need a bit more computing power. I have been dabbling in a little video editing, and the Air works, but since I have to use an external (USB...) hard drive it gets slowed down reading from the disk. Rendering speeds are adequate though for the short videos I work on.

There are a lot of small uses that my iPad fills in, that I could never use a laptop for. For example, chord charts for when I play guitar at my church. With the iPad I can swipe between pages easily and it easily rests on a music stand. A laptop would need a different stand, plus I would have to fumble about with the keyboard/trackpad to scroll around and have to worry about battery charge.

Jasmynsway
Apr 1, 2012, 10:52 AM
I have an iPad 3 and an MBA. I use the ipad fr everything but papers. If I wasn't in school, I'd probably sell the MBA. The iPad does everything I need.

abz1981
Apr 1, 2012, 01:24 PM
I have asked this question myself many times regarding, if I should get an iPad even though I have a MBA and an iPhone 4s. I have came to the conclusion that the iPad for me would be a bigger version of my iPhone 4s.

I feel I would end up wanting to think of ideas why I would want to use my iPad. But quite honestly when I think about it, I have my iPhone 4s for my surfing needs and my gaming needs when I dont have my MBA

My MBA is portable and light enough as it is for me to use it on my lap or any room or place I want to use it in.

So therefore I am happy as I am :)

David Menzel
Apr 1, 2012, 01:45 PM
I have both and use them for different purposes.

My iPad is for ...
- browsing the web
- reading books, lecture notes, newspaper
- writing emails
- watching movies while traveling or on the couch

My MacBook Air is for ...
- file management (currently a big issue with an iPad)
- creating more difficult iWork files (Numbers, Keynote and sometimes Pages)
- managing my iTunes Library and all iDevices and peripheral devices