PDA

View Full Version : Help! 17" PB optical digital input issue with Logic

macdad2
Jun 28, 2005, 10:46 PM
Is anyone else using Logic with their 1.67 17" powerbook? I'm having no luck getting digital audio into Logic! The audio is getting into the computer itelf just fine. I can watch the meters bounce in system preferences - it even works fine in garageband 2 but not Logic Pro! I'm new to Logic, but not digital audio, and I've checked every setting I can find in the software - the clocks are synced, sample rates match etc etc.

btw. here's what happens when I open Logic after configuring the inputs. Logic even sees the digital inputs when running the Setup Assistant but then...

I get a warning box that says "The previously selected audio interface is not available. The built-in audio inputs and outputs will be used instead for this session". the program then defauts back to the analog inputs! anyone? HELP!

edit:
wintermute - any ideas? I can't find any concrete info on this anywhere though I have found that it has happened to others. :(

macdad2
Jun 30, 2005, 12:17 PM
It's getting kinda' lonely being the only person in the world who wants to use their digital inputs with Logic :D

macdad2
Jun 30, 2005, 09:51 PM
As to the digital audio issue, it only seems to be an issue with Logic? Please let me know if you get this working.

WinterMute
Jul 1, 2005, 04:02 AM
I'm trying to track someone at the Uni whose got the 17" with an optical input, mines a rev A and has no digital audio inputs as standard.

I'll get back to you if I can find a solution (or indeed a PowerBook).

macdad2
Jul 1, 2005, 07:15 AM
Thank you Wintermute.

macdad2
Jul 1, 2005, 11:11 PM
OK - problem solved - or at least worked around. If anyone else has this issue opefully they will happen across this thread - here's the solution.

But first - Here's the actual problem (quoted from Audio/MIDI setup - Tiger 10.4.1)

Logic Pro and Logic Express cannot access the digital input on certain computers. The affected systems will list the digital input as a separate device in Audio MIDI Setup. To check your system, follow these steps:

Open Audio MIDI Setup (located in /Applications/Utilities).
Click the Audio Devices tab.
Open the Default Input pop-up menu.
If your system shows more than one built-in input source, it will be affected by this issue.

Logic cannot access devices that offer only an input, and therefore cannot use the digital input. On systems with Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you can work around the issue by creating an aggregate device that uses the I/O from both available audio devices on your system.

Detailed steps for creating an aggregate device are available in Audio/MIDI Setup. Open help and search for "aggregate". Read the support article and follow the steps. Works like a charm but man was it tough to find a solution. I hope this post is helpful to others with this configuration.

peace
:cool: