Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 3, 2010
UK
After my previous thread where I stated my reasons for returning my smart cover (hinge damage to the iPad etc). A lot of people said they had no issues, and a few said that they had applied some scotch tape to the side of the iPad so that the smart cover magnet and hinge do not make metal to metal contact.

Anyway when I spend money I AM OCD about keeping it like new and just cant accept that a smartcover, something thats meant to protect the iPad, can actually damage it. Thats not okay.

However I really like the smartcover and so I re-bought one (dark grey) and decided to use the scotch tape method on the magnet and hinge itself rather than a strip down the side of the iPad. The results are almost invisible and give peace of mind that no scratching will happen to the iPad itself.

Check out the results, I had to take these shots ridiculously close up for you to even be able to see the tape. Hardest part was cutting the tape to the right size but its worth it:

7031722815_c8ab1803a0_b.jpg
6885629556_6fb6dc9966_b.jpg
6885627238_f2d94c5545_b.jpg
7031725017_3016df12b3_b.jpg

Magnet strength does not seem to be affected either :)

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
After my previous thread where I stated my reasons for returning my smart cover (hinge damage to the iPad etc). A lot of people said they had no issues, and a few said that they had applied some scotch tape to the side of the iPad so that the smart cover magnet and hinge do not make metal to metal contact.

Anyway when I spend money I AM OCD about keeping it like new and just cant accept that a smartcover, something thats meant to protect the iPad, can actually damage it. Thats not okay.

However I really like the smartcover and so I re-bought one (dark grey) and decided to use the scotch tape method on the magnet and hinge itself rather than a strip down the side of the iPad. The results are almost invisible and give peace of mind that no scratching will happen to the iPad itself.

Check out the results, I had to take these shots ridiculously close up for you to even be able to see the tape. Hardest part was cutting the tape to the right size but its worth it:

7031722815_c8ab1803a0_b.jpg
6885629556_6fb6dc9966_b.jpg
6885627238_f2d94c5545_b.jpg
7031725017_3016df12b3_b.jpg

Magnet strength does not seem to be affected either :)

i'm like you OCD about ANY marks or scratches on my stuff. I have a smart cover, it was used once. I don't want to put tape on my iPad either, but what's REALLY annoying is that all the top end case makers who produce stuff I like are including the damn magnets.....I like the Maroo stuff (Magnets) I like the Senna stuff (Magnets) I also like Kavaj, eye. All of them have the magnet tech. built in.

Will somebody please make a decent leather case without them please?

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 3, 2010
UK
i'm like you OCD about ANY marks or scratches on my stuff. I have a smart cover, it was used once. I don't want to put tape on my iPad either, but what's REALLY annoying is that all the top end case makers who produce stuff I like are including the damn magnets.....I like the Maroo stuff (Magnets) I like the Senna stuff (Magnets) I also like Kavaj, eye. All of them have the magnet tech. built in.

Will somebody please make a decent leather case without them please?

Im confused why the magnet bar and hinge doesnt just have a coating as standard, would save a lot of issues.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
I never had any issues with my smart cover,and I'm still using the same black leather one for my ipad3. Any marks it's ever made has wiped off cleanly with a microfiber towel

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Okay, apart from the damage aspect, here is my beef on magnets...I started using computers when the were not a household item as they are now. One thing everybody knew (and it still holds true today) Magnets+computer hardware =World of pain and failure.

My iPad has a home button....I can press it. I DON'T NEED MAGNETS!...:mad:

End of rant.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Try having a couple of kids under 3. I used to be OCD about scratches and marks.

Kids will change everything. My iPad 2 has a couple on dents on it even with a cover.

When your kid plays and scratches your $5000 dining table. Dents on a $700 iPad doesn't bother me.

Now I have the new iPad No dents yet! But my 21 month old has been eyeing the new iPad. He clearly recognizes the screen is sharper. I let him use it on the carpeted area of the house. The iPad 2 I don't care anymore. That's his to play with.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Try having a couple of kids under 3. I used to be OCD about scratches and marks.

Kids will change everything. My iPad 2 has a couple on dents on it even with a cover.

When your kid plays and scratches your $5000 dining table. Dents on a $700 iPad doesn't bother me.

Now I have the new iPad No dents yet! But my 21 month old has been eyeing the new iPad. He clearly recognizes the screen is sharper. I let him use it on the carpeted area of the house. The iPad 2 I don't care anymore. That's his to play with.

:eek::eek: Recoiling in sheer terror.....My kids are all long gone...:D

blue43fan

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2008
Okay, apart from the damage aspect, here is my beef on magnets...I started using computers when the were not a household item as they are now. One thing everybody knew (and it still holds true today) Magnets+computer hardware =World of pain and failure.

End of rant.

You really need to let that go. The sleep/wake magnets will not damage the iPad in any way and are extremely convenient.

firstapple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007

End of rant.

I have a feeling that we will be seeing a post from you at some point that complains about how your home button doesn't work anymore because it was pushed one too many times. All of us using our covers with magnets won't need to worry about that. :D

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
This sort-of OCD can be related to a deep lack of self esteem, my interior psychologist tells me. A mark won't make your life any better/worse.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
This sort-of OCD can be related to a deep lack of self esteem, my interior psychologist tells me. A mark won't make your life any better/worse.

:eek:So I have been suffering from a deep physiological flaw all these years....I'd better take a sharp implement to these then....:D

Attachments

• Bass1.jpg
    Bass1.jpg
    501.8 KB · Views: 144
  • IT2.jpg
    IT2.jpg
    536.7 KB · Views: 149

smallnshort247

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2010
I find myself using the smart cover/ hand gestures more often than pressing the home button. It's nice to know that I can live without it at least on the iPad.

malnar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
All of you using Scotch tape to protect your iPad would be much better off buying a cheap iPhone skin and cutting it to the appropriate size. Scotch tape ages rather disgracefully and eventually the tape will fall off leaving the adhesive behind - not to mention, there's no telling what the adhesive itself is doing to the aluminum's finish. At least with the iPhone skin you know that's not going to do any damage and will stick for a good long time, especially since you don't interact with it (which is what causes the complaints about the edges of the skins to peeling up.)

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

Do you not understand that a weak household magnet is harmless to a modern computer and other consumer electronics? Also I suppose you realize that speakers, and, yes, hard drives! contain magnets.

dsc888

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Boston, MA USA

Thanks for this post. I almost freaked when my 2 year old dropped my iPad 2 and dented it. I am a person who usually keeps my tech toys in pristine condition but I've learned that life does go on:D. My son enjoys the 2 with all the educational software that's on it. My wife and I enjoyed teaching and watching him learn on it. That's much more important than any cosmetic damage the iPad has since suffered:p.

ctc799

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2011
USA
My iPad 2 got scratched up from its smart cover, and I got a new one for the iPad 3. I noticed that on the original smart cover, you can see all of the individual magnets and I think that's what scratched it up. The newer ones have that nice lining thing that has left mine spotless now.

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
I'm not sure if I'm reading the original concern right. I've had a smart cover on my iPad 2 since day one. I noticed what looked like scratches but they are actually just smudges that rub right off. I'm OCD about my toys as well, but this is a non-issue.

jekyl

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2011
Mid-Michigan
You are of course aware that if your computer has any spinning drive inside (floppy, hard drive, cd or DVD drive) there are magnets in there right?

End of rant.

----------

When my daughter was young I bought my first brand new car. I had that car a few months when her and the little boy across the street discovered that they could slide down the hood if they first tossed a few handfuls of gravel on it. That was a sad day for me, and also gave me a bit of perspective that's come in handy many times since.

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 3, 2010
UK
I'm not sure if I'm reading the original concern right. I've had a smart cover on my iPad 2 since day one. I noticed what looked like scratches but they are actually just smudges that rub right off. I'm OCD about my toys as well, but this is a non-issue.

I'd like to agree that it is a non issue, but as you can see from the following links many people have had issues with the smart cover:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1130984/

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3030623?start=0&tstart=0

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bradmcgilligan/6811609752/

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2787638?start=0&tstart=0

https://discussions.apple.com/message/17544537#17544537

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-accessories/22128-smart-cover-wear-tear.html

https://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-1339141.html

http://www.everythingicafe.com/forum/threads/not-so-smart-cover.76740/

https://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/%20download%20piarco%20/t-1127522.html

https://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/.../t-1305358.html

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-2-forum/23676-anyone-elses-smart-cover-rubbing-like.html

There are posts all over the web about the same kind of issues but you get the picture. Prevention is better than cure.

Last edited:

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA

Glad I'm not having one of those things. A kid I mean.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.