PDA

View Full Version : New Mobile Theme for Forums

arn
Apr 4, 2012, 08:34 PM
Hi all,

We just turned on a new mobile theme for the MacRumors forums.

The goal is to phase out our /wap/ site that we've used for mobile. The new theme will consolidate the forums around the same urls, rather than having separate mobile and non-mobile links for threads.

The site should detect if you are on a mobile device or not and show the correct format. If you want to switch formats, simply click on the link at the very bottom of the page (Mobile Version or Full Site) and you can switch between them.

arn

arn
Apr 4, 2012, 08:37 PM
some screenshots

Damian.
Apr 4, 2012, 09:06 PM
I like it. I hope the full forum theme will follow soon.

scott523
Apr 4, 2012, 09:18 PM
Looks great! I like it!

thejadedmonkey
Apr 4, 2012, 09:28 PM
Nice! I like the WP7 support too :)

arn
Apr 4, 2012, 09:36 PM
a tip: if you find you can't do something on the mobile site that you can on the full site, if you click on the Full Site link at the bottom, it will switch you and preserve the url that you are on.

So you can easily switch back and forth as needed.

The mobile theme does support a lot of the common features. Subscribed threads is probably the biggest omission at the moment.

arn

MacNut
Apr 4, 2012, 10:34 PM
Will youtube videos be enabled on the new version? This is a big improvement over the old mobile site.

arn
Apr 4, 2012, 10:37 PM
Will youtube videos be enabled on the new version? This is a big improvement over the old mobile site.

Are they not? They should be.

kfVsfOSbJY0

MacNut
Apr 4, 2012, 10:41 PM

YouTube: video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=kfVsfOSbJY0)Oh that's interesting, it appears to be working in some places but not others.

rocknblogger
Apr 4, 2012, 10:45 PM
I may have used Tapatalk for the last time to access MR :)

ECUpirate44
Apr 4, 2012, 10:48 PM

YouTube: video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=kfVsfOSbJY0)

You had to post that specific video?:p

Ddyracer
Apr 4, 2012, 10:54 PM
It's great. Fast too on my aging 3GS. The previous mobile version felt so messy in comparison.

Old Smuggler
Apr 4, 2012, 10:55 PM
crazy

arn
Apr 5, 2012, 12:10 AM
Oh that's interesting, it appears to be working in some places but not others.

gimme a link where it's not working, and I can look into it.

arn

ChazUK
Apr 5, 2012, 12:30 AM
They looks superb Arn and as thejadedmonkey posted above, they fit in well with WP7 handsets too (can't show a screenshot of that one).

The only thing I've noticed so far is that ads are not showing on Internet Explorer on my Titan (they work fine on my GN, I've just scrolled up a little in the screenshot below so it is off screen - you guys deserve your ad revenue IMO).

Any other issues I'll be sure to feed back. I can see myself using the WiForums a lot less now.

JUiCEJamie
Apr 5, 2012, 03:26 AM
I'm really REALLY liking the new theme arn.
Much simpler interface. Nice colours too!

stridemat
Apr 5, 2012, 03:58 AM
a tip: if you find you can't do something on the mobile site that you can on the full site, if you click on the Full Site link at the bottom, it will switch you and preserve the url that you are on.

So you can easily switch back and forth as needed.

The mobile theme does support a lot of the common features. Subscribed threads is probably the biggest omission at the moment.

arn

Is subscribed threads support coming? I am finding the lack of extremely reducing the effectiveness of the new theme. Apart from that it's great, especially mobile forum spy.

siurpeeman
Apr 5, 2012, 04:14 AM
thanks, arn. the mobile site looks great. it's one of the few sites i don't mind browsing the mobile version of.

arn
Apr 5, 2012, 04:26 AM
Is subscribed threads support coming? I am finding the lack of extremely reducing the effectiveness of the new theme. Apart from that it's great, especially mobile forum spy.

I just added subscription list to the menu in the top right. You can just see a list of all your subscriptions at the moment.

arn

SandboxGeneral
Apr 5, 2012, 05:41 AM

Is it possible that some of the videos not working are ones that the owner didn't allow to be played on a mobile platform?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/49002863/MacRumors/Screen%20Shot%202012-04-05%20at%206.40.00%20AM.png

stridemat
Apr 5, 2012, 06:24 AM
I just added subscription list to the menu in the top right. You can just see a list of all your subscriptions at the moment.

arn

That works for me. Thanks!

redgaz26
Apr 5, 2012, 07:42 AM
Great job Arn.

Menel
Apr 5, 2012, 08:06 AM
Incredible! Don't think I've ever seen a mobile forum implementation done so well and slick. If webdevs had done this a year or two ago, would be no reason for Tapatalk!

rowley
Apr 5, 2012, 08:51 AM
nice - I like it, pity there's no "new posts" link - would be cool it that came back (or have I missed it?)

----------

Ahhh - CSS magic to maximise the embed to 300px, I was missing that on my own mobile website.
Youtube videos can now go back into my content.
Sweet!

sammich
Apr 5, 2012, 09:07 AM
Absolutely loving the small screen update. Now everything fits nicely on in portrait.

Two things though:

'Thread starter' is missing, and
On MR Spy, the font is too big on retina/high res screens. You have to scroll a lot more to get to the bottom. Should have an option to decrease the size or something would work nicely for everyone.

arn
Apr 5, 2012, 01:19 PM
nice - I like it, pity there's no "new posts" link - would be cool it that came back (or have I missed it?)!

Click on the search icon near the top and it has new posts link.

arn

stridemat
Apr 5, 2012, 02:26 PM
Is it possible to automatically go to the last page in a thread instead of the first?

rowley
Apr 5, 2012, 03:10 PM
Click on the search icon near the top and it has new posts link.

arn

Thanks muchly

arn
Apr 5, 2012, 06:42 PM
Is it possible to automatically go to the last page in a thread instead of the first?

If you tap on the triangle icon rather than thread title, it will take you to new posts.

The tap target is a bit small at the moment

ravenvii
Apr 5, 2012, 09:26 PM
When you have MacRumors as a webapp on the homescreen, tapping the Forums link still kicks you to Safari.

This needs to be fixed.

dontwalkhand
Apr 5, 2012, 11:00 PM
The old WAP Forums are gone! This is much better as it seems MR went for a Mobile VB solution!

stevemiller
Apr 5, 2012, 11:20 PM
noticed it yesterday too. definitely faster to navigate :)

Bchagey
Apr 5, 2012, 11:38 PM
Looks really nice. Seems faster

unlimitedx
Apr 5, 2012, 11:43 PM
Finally a usable mobile forum!!

Old Smuggler
Apr 6, 2012, 12:13 AM
I was glad to see that they updated it
Feels a lot faster to navigate

arn
Apr 6, 2012, 02:35 AM
When you have MacRumors as a webapp on the homescreen, tapping the Forums link still kicks you to Safari.

This needs to be fixed.

I played around with this tonight. I was able to get it to not leave the webapp on some links, but overall the webapp version felt bad.

So I removed the webapp flags from the page. If you resave your homepage bookmark, it will not load as a regular safari bookmark.

I think the experience is better, since there's a Back button etc...

arn

SandboxGeneral
Apr 6, 2012, 05:11 AM
The tap target is a bit small at the moment

Yes it is. It sounds like that is something you're looking into then, right?

geoffm33
Apr 6, 2012, 06:12 AM
I like it, replacing tapatalk for now since the mobile site honors my exclude forums by ID setting.

Edit: I had to get the New Posts link from the full site and use it while on mobile to get new posts. There should be a link to new posts within the mobile site.

arn
Apr 6, 2012, 07:11 AM
Yes it is. It sounds like that is something you're looking into then, right?

It should be bigger now.

I like it, replacing tapatalk for now since the mobile site honors my exclude forums by ID setting.

Edit: I had to get the New Posts link from the full site and use it while on mobile to get new posts. There should be a link to new posts within the mobile site.

It's in the search menu:

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=334227&d=1333589870

arn

geoffm33
Apr 6, 2012, 07:44 AM
It's in the search menu:

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=334227&d=1333589870

arn

My bad! Thanks!

VulchR
Apr 6, 2012, 09:30 AM
Much, much better now. Thanks MR!

geoffm33
Apr 6, 2012, 09:45 AM
Can we get the &exclude= added to the New Posts link? It work on the full site, just not the mobile.

http://forums.macrumors.com/search.php?do=getnew

Thanks!

arn
Apr 6, 2012, 10:05 AM
Can we get the &exclude= added to the New Posts link? It work on the full site, just not the mobile.

http://forums.macrumors.com/search.php?do=getnew

Thanks!

done.

geoffm33
Apr 6, 2012, 10:51 AM
done.

Awesome, thanks!

Tilpots
Apr 7, 2012, 12:05 PM
Bravo arn and MR crew! Thanks so much for addressing the concerns of your users. This mobile site is so much of an improvement. I really appreciate your efforts. Ya even got a mobile Forum Spy. Impressive!!!

WillEH
Apr 7, 2012, 12:09 PM
Brilliant, love it.

Kentochan
Apr 9, 2012, 09:50 PM
Just got around to using it, and it's a pleasure to use! The readability, the usability, I like it very much!

Xephiros
Apr 10, 2012, 09:25 AM
The new forum is great! I live how slick it looks and buttons/links are finally big enough to press without having to zoom in. (fat weener fingers)

However, is it just me or are we unable to Select text for Copy/paste on other people's posts?

Mak47
Apr 10, 2012, 09:38 PM
I love the look of the new theme, I've only got one gripe.

On my iPhone 4S (5.1) if I let the screen rotate it sends me all the way back to the top of the page. Not necessarily a huge deal, but it is quite frustrating if I'm reading through posts while I'm at work, where I'm frequently interrupted.

SandboxGeneral
May 9, 2012, 05:55 PM
Hi all,

We just turned on a new mobile theme for the MacRumors forums.

The goal is to phase out our /wap/ site that we've used for mobile. The new theme will consolidate the forums around the same urls, rather than having separate mobile and non-mobile links for threads.

The site should detect if you are on a mobile device or not and show the correct format. If you want to switch formats, simply click on the link at the very bottom of the page (Mobile Version or Full Site) and you can switch between them.

arn

Would it be possible to speed up the scrolling effect? It seems much slower than other apps and websites. I feel like I have to flick the screen too many times to get to the bottom of the pages.

Thanks!

SandboxGeneral
Nov 3, 2012, 10:48 AM
The iOS feature of tapping the very top of the screen, by the time display, to auto scroll all the way to the top doesn't work on the mobile site. Either you have to manually scroll it up or get to the bottom of the page and tap the scroll to the top button.

Can the iOS feature be enabled on the mobile site?

Edit: seems to not work in Chrome, but it does in Safari.

arn
Nov 4, 2012, 12:01 AM
The iOS feature of tapping the very top of the screen, by the time display, to auto scroll all the way to the top doesn't work on the mobile site. Either you have to manually scroll it up or get to the bottom of the page and tap the scroll to the top button.

Can the iOS feature be enabled on the mobile site?

Edit: seems to not work in Chrome, but it does in Safari.

I didn't think this was something that we could have overridden.

I'll look into it.

arn