PDA

View Full Version : Punching Bag

Comeagain?
Apr 10, 2012, 11:25 AM
What do you think about a special forum, that when people start accusing other members of things, or just start arguing in a thread (like was common for bobby corwen) instead of locking and wastelanding the who thread, let the two or three who want to continue, can go to, to let everyone else who can remain calm can continue the conversation. We had one of those in a different forum, where it would automatically delete posts after a day or two. Or at least a place where members could go and complain for a while, and then it gets deleted, and we move on.

Does that make sense? It does in my head, but not so much when I read it back. I can't try and explain better if that helps.

matbook101
Apr 10, 2012, 11:27 AM
Actually, it sounds like a pretty good idea. :)

r.j.s
Apr 10, 2012, 11:29 AM
Theoretically, what (if any) forum rules would apply in the Punching Bag?

Comeagain?
Apr 10, 2012, 11:41 AM
Theoretically, what (if any) forum rules would apply in the Punching Bag?

Well, if its as a place for arguments that are normally cause for locked threads, then I think that for the most part it was just whatever you wanted to say, unless it gets too personal. If members just use it to insult each other, then that's not okay. (think Monty Python and holy grail French scene but serious) Heated "debates" however are ok. I know it's kind of subjective on what it's too far.

If you just like the idea for place to go let of steam about anything, the that's just open to anything. I suppose if it had the ability to replace swearing and cursing with random characters or something, that would've good, just to not be blocked by content filters.

ericrwalker
Apr 10, 2012, 11:49 AM
I like the idea, but I think it would be a problem and not work well. When people have an issue with someone in the forum, they don't want to say what's really on their minds, so they will insult them in the punching bag.

fun173
Apr 10, 2012, 11:52 AM
I like the idea a lot. http://www.popcorncalories.info/images/popcorn.jpg

-aggie-
Apr 10, 2012, 11:53 AM
This will go as far as making a sub-forum for Android, i.e., nowhere.

Comeagain?
Apr 10, 2012, 11:56 AM
I like the idea, but I think it would be a problem and not work well. When people have an issue with someone in the forum, they don't want to say what's really on their minds, so they will insult them in the punching bag.

Well, this would let them take a break, calm down a bit, and relieve some frustration. It then gets deleted, and we move on.

Comeagain?
Apr 10, 2012, 11:58 AM
This will go as far as making a sub-forum for Android, i.e., nowhere.

Love the optimism, but this is different. For one thing, we aren't cellphonerumors, we are Macrumors, so why would we discuss android? This would be a way for frustrated users to still be a part of the community.

ericrwalker
Apr 10, 2012, 12:04 PM
Well, this would let them take a break, calm down a bit, and relieve some frustration. It then gets deleted, and we move on.

Interesting, I just think there has to be a line in the sand. I think the line in the main forum does need to be push out a little further though. I've seen people get trolled into saying things that gets them banned, and often it's not even offensive or harsh but someone takes it bad.

Calling someone a fanboy, fandroid, or troll (even when they know they are) will get you in trouble in this forum. FYI I am an iPhone fanboy.

-aggie-
Apr 10, 2012, 12:08 PM
Love the optimism, but this is different. For one thing, we aren't cellphonerumors, we are Macrumors, so why would we discuss android? This would be a way for frustrated users to still be a part of the community.

Well, we're not MacFighters or MacTrollers either. If people can't be mature, I say ban them.

William.Mantle
Apr 10, 2012, 12:10 PM
No place for this here

People can move on

eawmp1
Apr 10, 2012, 12:12 PM
MacRumors: Cagefight Edition

No.

r.j.s
Apr 10, 2012, 12:24 PM
In the end, it doesn't accomplish much. From a user standpoint, I still have to either tolerate the bickering until the thread is moved or report the posts until they are moved.

From a moderator standpoint, I not only have to pick out the bickering posts (which are often intermingled in the legitimate comments about a topic), I ahve to monitor the new thread for other rule violations (insults and such) while still looking in on the original thread to make sure the bickering doesn't continue there as well.

So, while it may be a good place to blow off steam for members actually involved in the argument - it doesn't seem to benefit the community at large.

simsaladimbamba
Apr 10, 2012, 12:29 PM
Maybe something like a Neutral Zone could do, where people can go a bit off topic, let off steam, which is sometimes necessary.
I am also member on another, smaller message board, where such zone exists. It helps keep off the heat from the other sub-fora, but since that board is also not censoring every swear word like this one does, there is also another sub culture and most of the participants are older than 18 (the minimum age to use censored words I guess).
TNZ (The Neutral Zone) is also a sub-forum one can unsubscribe from, does one does not need to see this.

But I guess such sub-forum can not exist here, not even on a trial basis?

PS: The addition of the vote buttons also leads to some animosity, maybe such punchbag/TNZ sub-forum could help getting those down-voters and down-votees together and get it out.

Comeagain?
Apr 10, 2012, 12:34 PM
Maybe something like a Neutral Zone could do, where people can go a bit off topic, let off steam, which is sometimes necessary.
I am also member on another, smaller message board, where such zone exists. It helps keep off the heat from the other sub-fora, but since that board is also not censoring every swear word like this one does, there is also another sub culture and most of the participants are older than 18 (the minimum age to use censored words I guess).
TNZ (The Neutral Zone) is also a sub-forum one can unsubscribe from, does one does not need to see this.

PS: The addition of the vote buttons also leads to some animosity, maybe such punchbag/TNZ sub-forum could help getting those down-voters and down-votees together and get it out.

I guess this is kind of what I'm thinking. I actually really like the PS idea.

ucfgrad93
Apr 10, 2012, 01:22 PM
Well, we're not MacFighters or MacTrollers either. If people can't be mature, I say ban them.

Agreed. I can't stand the comment sections on BGR or Engadget because they quickly degrade into flame wars. I like that the forums here are relatively civil.

-aggie-
Apr 10, 2012, 02:19 PM

A neutral zone would be not logging into MacRumors. Just sayin'. :)

wrinkster22
Apr 10, 2012, 02:33 PM
Snip

What if the same rules as the marketplace applied (Member for 6 months + certain amount of posts)
It could be un-supervised :D

simsaladimbamba
Apr 10, 2012, 02:36 PM
A neutral zone would be not logging into MacRumors. Just sayin'. :)
Then this place would be quite quiet.

Anyway, an additional thought, what happens in TNZ stays in TNZ.

Shrink
Apr 10, 2012, 02:41 PM
Agreed. I can't stand the comment sections on BGR or Engadget because they quickly degrade into flame wars. I like that the forums here are relatively civil.

I agree completely!:D

You must be another old fart like me who still values a modicum of civility, which is rapidly disappearing in the name of "being direct" and under the cover of anonymity.

SilentPanda
Apr 10, 2012, 02:47 PM
MacRumors already allows people to have disagreements.

GoCubsGo
Apr 10, 2012, 02:48 PM
You could just call it "come in here if you want to be **** on." That should do it.

-aggie-
Apr 10, 2012, 02:50 PM
You could just call it "come in here if you want to be **** on." That should do it.

Or iPhone Forum, for short.:)

GoCubsGo
Apr 10, 2012, 02:53 PM
Or iPhone Forum, for short.:)

Or this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=14698170
:D :D

Peace
Apr 10, 2012, 03:05 PM
We used to have "smokers" in the Navy a long time ago. It was a boxing ring where one sailor could box another sailor that had issues with him. They would line up on Saturday nights. We called them smokers because the smoking lamp was lit.

Good times.

Macman45
Apr 10, 2012, 03:12 PM
We used to have "smokers" in the Navy a long time ago. It was a boxing ring where one sailor could box another sailor that had issues with him. They would line up on Saturday nights. We called them smokers because the smoking lamp was lit.

Good times.

And perhaps a more sensible and cheaper way of solving world issues?...:D Heads of state punch it out...I can't remember where I first saw that, a movie? Or maybe an old ad...funny though.

ericrwalker
Apr 10, 2012, 03:23 PM

Good times.

We used to have wall-to-wall counseling in the Army. Always done behind closed doors.

-aggie-
Apr 10, 2012, 05:31 PM
Or this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=14698170
:D :D

OMG! What an epic amount of fail.

Peace
Apr 10, 2012, 05:58 PM
We used to have wall-to-wall counseling in the Army. Always done behind closed doors.

Yup. We called them blanket parties. ;)

r.j.s
Apr 10, 2012, 06:03 PM

Not always ... see below:

Yup. We called them blanket parties. ;)

No, no, no ... there are rules for wall-to-wall counseling, see FM 22-102 (http://www.scribd.com/doc/26826250/FM-22-102-Wall-to-Wall-Counseling-Apr-2009)

ericrwalker
Apr 10, 2012, 06:17 PM

No, no, no ... there are rules for wall-to-wall counseling, see FM 22-102 (http://www.scribd.com/doc/26826250/FM-22-102-Wall-to-Wall-Counseling-Apr-2009)

LOL, well we always closed the door, or did it out in the field where nobody was around.

You can never be too careful.

Peace
Apr 10, 2012, 06:50 PM

LOL, well we always closed the door, or did it out in the field where nobody was around.

You can never be too careful.

Your history is a fine one but might I remind you the United States Navy was the first military we had.

;)

annk
Apr 11, 2012, 02:37 AM
...then I think that for the most part it was just whatever you wanted to say, unless it gets too personal. If members just use it to insult each other, then that's not okay...

At this point it would have to be moderated regardless.

The problem is that behaviour in that sort of thread would spill over into other threads, and ultimately cause more work for the moderators (and, I suspect, less satisfaction for members in general).

As Panda said, it's fine to disagree on MacRumors. And there's no reason that frustration can't be vented within the rules for appropriate debate. You can disagree pretty strongly with someone and challenge their arguments without letting it spill over into insults. So I guess I just don't see the need for it.