Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tonywalker23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 21, 2003
SC
i bought a 16x superdrive off of ebay for my dual 450 g4 powermac.
i have never burned a dvd but mess with cd's a lot,
what are the differences in dvd r, rw + - etc . . .
any help or website would be appreciated.
also, the burner is dual layer which i understand makes 8 gb dvd's but thats all i know about them. do all dvd's hold 8 gb or are they special ones,

thanks
tony walker
http://www.preachertony.com

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
Just get DVD-R they are write once and the best form of media to use for burning DVD's...Try and get a good brand of disc like Verbatmin or TDK dont go for the cheap brands as they will have trouble playing and are not as reliable..

SHadoW :D

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
shadowmoses
Just get DVD-R they are write once and the best form of media to use for burning DVD's...Try and get a good brand of disc like Verbatmin or TDK dont go for the cheap brands as they will have trouble playing and are not as reliable..

SHadoW

Very well put, I had some dvds go bad on me after 4-6 mths. so I learned my leason. Now I only buy Verbatim or TDK myself. If you don't mind buying from on line try http://www.supermediastore.com if you have problems with the discs (bad quality) they will take them back. Also if you want to get printable dvds/cds they have a good selection as do a few other vendors online.

Difference about "- or +" from what I've read and have been told -R tend to get a "deeper burn" as +R burn on the "sides of the grooves" in a dvd. So if one side fades it may not play or it could freeze. I do not know for sure if this is true since I only burned to the +R format when I got my drive to make sure that it worked. Other than that I use -R only and have only made 2-3 DL (8.5g dvds) for some home videos.
Anywho enjoy your new burner :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.