Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Now this is my kind of news story!

News link
Chiba, Japan- A 59-year-old man from Chiba Prefecture recited pi, or the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter, to 83,431 digits from Friday to Saturday in a new world record that is almost double the current Guinness Book record. ... The current Guinness world record for reciting pi from memory is held by another Japanese who recited it to the 42,195th digit while a college student.
It's a feat that's hard to imagine. I can't understand how Mr. Haraguchi can remember a stream of digits that long. I guess some brains just have lots of efficient RAM wired in. In any case, I'm glad to see the new record and hope the Guinness Book recognizes it.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Wow! :D :eek:

My best friend at the time and I memorized about 60 digits of Pi when we were about 15.... :) That was a long time ago. God I was such a geek back then! :rolleyes:

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
Wow. That is alot of numbers. And I thought that memorizing 30 lines for Romeo and Juliet was hard...:rolleyes:

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
mkrishnan said:
Wow! :D :eek:

My best friend at the time and I memorized about 60 digits of Pi when we were about 15.... :) That was a long time ago. God I was such a geek back then! :rolleyes:

Ya I was a geek with my best friend, we would figure out many moles of bear there was in a 500# bear.
One day on a Blue Ridge overlook we figured how many moles of trees we could see! Ya, pretty embarassing stuff, even more embarassing now, but hey I don't really know anyone here anyway.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I've been able to recite 72 digits of pi ever since about 7th grade, although I often get the 35th digit wrong for some reason.

Knowing that much of pi comes in handy quite often. For example, um, er, ... ok, it has never come in handy.

noaccess

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2005
Could there be a possibility that he only said the first about 100 digits correctly and then recited all the other stuff at random, knowing that nobody else could verify him on the spot ;) ?

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
noaccess said:
Could there be a possibility that he only said the first about 100 digits correctly and then recited all the other stuff at random, knowing that nobody else could verify him on the spot ;) ?
Some poor sucker probably had to check the whole thing. I wonder if they made an audio or video recording of his performance.

Your question reminds me of how I "prove" that the digits I recite are really those of pi. First, if somebody writes down the digits and has me start over, they can confirm that I am reciting the same digits each time, which shows that I know some 72-digit number. Then I claim that if an admitted geek memorizes a 72-digit number that starts as pi does, it must actually be pi because there would be no reason to memorize any other such number!

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
Impressive!

However, I can also recite 83,431 digits of pi. Just not the first 83,431. :p

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
Loge said:
Impressive!

However, I can also recite 83,431 digits of pi. Just not the first 83,431. :p

Anyone can recite 83,431 digits of pi, even more if you want. It's getting them in the right order that's the hard part.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Three mic booms were in the guy's face, I'd say that there was some care taken to record it.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
atszyman said:
Anyone can recite 83,431 digits of pi, even more if you want. It's getting them in the right order that's the hard part.

Well you can even get them in the right order without difficulty. Knowing where the sequence starts is what is hard.

JonMaker

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2004
here.
A wise man once defined pi as (something to the effect of) "Three, followed by as many digits as you care to employ."

Let's see someone calcuate something practical using pi to 83431 digits... sounds like a headache to me.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
A very impressive feat. My question would be in what form is this useful?

We are very fortunate to have Doctor Q on our forum that can recite 72 digits of pi. ;)

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
Wow. To think that I was pleased when I finally memorized the 26 digit hex key for the wireless network at work, and that's something I pretty much use every day at least once.

Very impressive...and quite pointless.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Loge said:
Well you can even get them in the right order without difficulty. Knowing where the sequence starts is what is hard.

:D

Actually, isn't this completely correct? It's been quite a while since I took real analysis, but my memory is that you can prove explicitly that any sequence of digits, with any contents, of any length, appears embedded within the number pi (or the number e) at some point in the sequence. The proof doesn't involve where in the sequence, though.

I thought the general principle was that this is true of any irrational number, but I don't think that's true. It's not true of an irrational number such as 0.10100100010000100000.....

Linkjeniero

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2005
mkrishnan said:
:D

Actually, isn't this completely correct? It's been quite a while since I took real analysis, but my memory is that you can prove explicitly that any sequence of digits, with any contents, of any length, appears embedded within the number pi (or the number e) at some point in the sequence. The proof doesn't involve where in the sequence, though.

I thought the general principle was that this is true of any irrational number, but I don't think that's true. It's not true of an irrational number such as 0.10100100010000100000.....

I think it's not true to all irrational numbers, only trascendental numbers (wich are a subset of irrational numbers).

snkTab

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2004
Cincinnati, OH
I wonder if he knew the last digit he said, or if he just messed up.

And that's a lot to say correctly. I mean, what if he knew it, but just said it wrong as sometimes happens.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Representing pi in base 10 is only interesting and useful because we (well, most of us) happen to have 10 fingers. If I were a mathematician studying patterns in pi, I'd study it in binary. (Although I imagine there isn't much point in studying such patterns.)

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
At work, I just care to program my software to use X * (PI) when designing, and if I have time enough I could do it manually with 3,1416 ... ;), my boss would be very happy if I use the first 5 digits. :p
Nice for this man and for Mr. Dr Q.
I'm not lazy with numbers but I like speed and productivity. :)

CelticBhoy

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2004
Scotland
This Japanese chap really needs to get out more. Unless he uses it as a chat-up line of course ......... by the time he gets to the 31416th digit I'm sure the chicks will be all over him !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.