Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobbospa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2011
Has anyone used this product? I've seen the reviews with benchmarks but wonder whether I would actually notice a difference. I rarely create large files so it's not clear to me that all that speed would be noticeable.

Shadow2k

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2009
In day to day usage, not copying gigabytes of small files from a to b, I don't feel a big speed increase. On the other hand I don't regret upgrading.

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
Unless you're doing large file transfers, it won't matter. The speed for everyday tasks come from small file IO. So high IOPS drives are what speed things up for the normal user, not fast data transfer.

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030
In day to day usage, not copying gigabytes of small files from a to b, I don't feel a big speed increase. On the other hand I don't regret upgrading.

bogatyr
macrumors regular
Unless you're doing large file transfers, it won't matter. The speed for everyday tasks come from small file IO. So high IOPS drives are what speed things up for the normal user, not fast data transfer.

Are you two serious, you cannot have an OWC SSD! The 3G is way faster than Apples offering, I have installed almost 30 of them, in the new MBA,that can take the the new 6G, the difference is like day and night.I have installed 8, with fantastic results, jump in and report back when you actually HAVE THE PRODUCT! Maybe you need to reconfigure!

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
I own several different SATA3 speed drives from different manufacturers. I've also installed many SATA2 and SATA3 SSDs at work for our company laptops. Not the OWC drive in question.

SATA2->SATA3 for an SSD is not a jump in speed unless the SATA2 drive sucks for IOPS (not the SATA bus limitation but the drive itself) or you transfer large multi-gigabyte files.

High IOPS drives the speed jumps in SSDs. Even going from a low IOPS to a high IOPS SSD isn't going to be a night and day difference like, say, a HDD to an SSD.

The brands for SATA2 and SATA3 drives I've used:
Intel
Crucial
Kingston
OCZ

This was before I bought any Apple laptops. From my experience, I won't be buying the OWC drive unless I need the 480GB of space.

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.