Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fretdevil

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
San Diego
Who else thinks the devs of this site should make "Fluid HD" the default layout for the site.

I, for one, am tired of changing it all the time. Cookies don't last long on my computers and never will. So don't bother...

Cheers!!!

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
I've tried the Fluid HD, but for some reason, I don't like it. I know it fills my entire screen but it doesn't feel right. I have a 17" HR screen, so with the default setting, I get a lot of white space. The compact view that the default setting gives makes it easier to read and navigates, whereas the default looks to big and messy.

And oh, maybe the fact that I also don't have ads on my view may also contribute to this view preference.

Theclamshell

macrumors 68030
Mar 2, 2009
I've tried the Fluid HD, but for some reason, I don't like it. I know it fills my entire screen but it doesn't feel right. I have a 17" HR screen, so with the default setting, I get a lot of white space. The compact view that the default setting gives makes it easier to read and navigates, whereas the default looks to big and messy.

And oh, maybe the fact that I also don't have ads on my view may also contribute to this view preference.

I have the same exact setup as you but I use Fluid HD. However, i do have the pages zoomed in a bit in the browser because its a but to small for my liking on HD.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
I have the same exact setup as you but I use Fluid HD. However, i do have the pages zoomed in a bit in the browser because its a but to small for my liking on HD.

Hmm.. the zoomed in thing. I never thought of that, so I gave it a whirl. It's actually looks pretty good. I'll try for a couple hours (haha) or days to see if I can like it.

And the one that I used is the "Fixed" view. What zoom level are you in? I had to zoom in twice to get the correct spacing I wanted. Zooming in again was just too big.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I prefer the default view myself. I like having the little bit of white space on the sides. I think it helps with readability, kind of like for the same reason newspapers use narrow columns for their articles. It just seems like less reading, though it may not actually be that way.

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
I like having the choice, right now i like Fluid HD but sometimes i prefer the current layout..

Theclamshell

macrumors 68030
Mar 2, 2009
Hmm.. the zoomed in thing. I never thought of that, so I gave it a whirl. It's actually looks pretty good. I'll try for a couple hours (haha) or days to see if I can like it.

And the one that I used is the "Fixed" view. What zoom level are you in? I had to zoom in twice to get the correct spacing I wanted. Zooming in again was just too big.

I zoom in once and i'm using firefox.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.